/lang/ - Language Learning thread

>What language are you learning?
>Share language learning experiences!
>Help people who want to learn a new language!
>Find people to train your language with!

>Language learning resources:
4chanint.wikia.com/wiki/The_Official_Sup Forums_How_to_Learn_A_Foreign_Language_Guide_Wiki

duolingo.com/
>Duolingo is a free language-learning platform that includes a language-learning website and app, as well as a digital language proficiency assessment exam. Duolingo offers all its language courses free of charge.

>Torrents with more resources than you'll ever need for 30+ languages.

drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B9QDHej9UGAdcDhWVEllMzJBSEk#
>Google Drive folder with books for all kinds of languages.

fsi-languages.yojik.eu/languages/oldfsi/index.html
>Drill based courses with text and audio.The Foreign Service Institute (FSI) is the United States federal government's primary training institution for employees of the U.S. foreign affairs community.These courses are all in public domain and free to download.Site may go down sometimes but you can search for fsi on google and easily find a mirror.

memrise.com/
>Free resource to learn vocabulary, nice flash cards.

lingvist.com/
>It's kinda like Clozemaster in the sense that you get a sentence and have to fill in the missing word, also has nice statistics about your progress, grammar tips and more information about a word (noun gender, verb aspects for Russian, etc.)

ankisrs.net/
>A flash card program

clozemaster.com/languages
>Clozemaster is language learning gamification through mass exposure to vocabulary in context.Can be a great supplementary tool, not recommended for absolute beginners.

tatoeba.org/eng/
>Tatoeba is a collection of sentences and translations with over 300 hundred languages to chose from.

radio.garden/
>Listen to radio all around the world through an interactive globe

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/erQ4tFqP
youtube.com/watch?v=TGbwL8kSpEk
en.childrenslibrary.org
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html
pastebin.com/JN01tWVF
youtube.com/watch?v=hZ5EPsXkEdY
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

pastebin.com/erQ4tFqP
>Few more resources that didn't fit into OP

>Was literally about the post the thread lol xD
Question for anons:
Anki or Memrise?

>Hivemind

I prefer Anki.

Fuck me, I'm trying to deicde between Chinese and Latin right now.
Been learning french and at a B2 right now fyi.

How does one stay disciplined enough to continue to learn language? My interest in anything burns hot for a week then burns out and I never want to see it again. It doesn't matter if this is a language or working out or whatever

you need to find something you really like. Think about things you've liked before. Is there something similar in these things? Tbh being interested in something should come naturally

Find something to spark your interest in it. Find movies, music, etc in the language you want to speak and check them out. Doing this constantly will keep you exposed to the language, making it that much easier to learn, too.

>Been learning french
Tu l'as-tu oublié?

>tu l'as oublié?
Pas du tout. J'ai assez de temps libre pour essayer de commencer à apprendre une nouvelle langue, qu'il soit le chinois ou le latin.

J'ai une question concernant ta langue maternelle qui est le hongrois. Est-ce vous possédez des déterminants ou ces derniers sont utilisés comme suffixes?

How the FUCK do you guys stay motivated?

>tfw studied two hours a day for a week before stopping for over a month

Hey hungary user, i wanted to ask you, is it worth and fun to learn hungarian?

I always wanted to widen my language barier little bit more to the north, with hungarian, and i also want to understand anoying hungarian students that only speak magyar even through they understan and speak Serbian.

So do you recomend me to commit to learning hungarian? If so how hard is it to leant it? Or should i just learn some other more used language?

>is it worth to learn hungarian?
no, it's a meme language with barely 10 million speakers. Completely useless
>fun
that's up for you to decide
>i also want to understand anoying hungarian students that only speak magyar even through they understan and speak Serbian.
I can assure you it's not worth learning an entire language to find out about it. Most of my countrymen are dumb as a rock. So, probably just basic shit: we got drunk, had weed ayy lmao etc.
>So do you recomend me to commit to learning hungarian?
no, study something that's marketable
>If so how hard is it to leant it?
It's a chink language. It's almost on par with Korean or Japanese, minus the deranged writing system.
>Or should i just learn some other more used language?
yes, definitely. I'd recommend German or Spanish.

why??? ;-;

Arabic, Turkish, Persian.

Whats the best order to learn these?

Arabic
Persian
Turkish

Thanks for response.

Also i have one more question since you learned french (and english obviouslly), what do you recommend that helped you the most when you were learning another language. And also did you self learn it or did you hire a mentor?

I'm just being honest here, there's no point sugarcoating it.
It's better for him and his career to learn a major language. It looks better on a resume, also big companies always seek people who speak world languages. It means more opportunities and a bigger salary.

uhm, I'm not actually this guydifferent Hungarian here, so I can't speak for him.
>what do you recommend that helped you the most when you were learning another language.
For me personally, movies and videogames were a great way to immerse myself in English. Books too, but only after I spoke on a very high level. Oh and it's fun to read Wikipedia in a different language.
>And also did you self learn it or did you hire a mentor?
Personally I learned English by myself, but there's no shame in hiring a teacher if you feel like you got stuck on a certain level and you feel like you can't progress anymore. But you should give it a try by yourself, first.

Oops nevermind, I assume you were someone else

Having an ultimate end goal helps. I'm learning mandarin to get in on chinese memes and freak out foreign students by butting in on their conversations. Been studying every day 3 months strong now.

when i use radio garden it says the radio station is unreachable, and this happen qith every single radio station I select, do you know how to solve it?

bump

Make sure all the updates are installed for your computer.

Tbqh, it depends on why you want to learn it. If you have true motivation, you might as well try it and see if you enjoy it or not (probably not)
Though if you just want to understand some students without any motivation it would be a horrible idea to learn it.

Its also really difficult to learn, even for us sometimes. The j and ly difference, the verb ending based on if the noun is definite or not, the 18 case endings and the vowel harmony will all be quite difficult for foreigners to learn.

Good luck anyway

What's the best way to practice pronunciation in a language with few native speakers readily available?

I'm learning Turkish and have found inhibitions about pronunciation to be the thing that holds me back the most from those rare instances where İ can actually talk to people in Turkish

For english, I didn't have a mentor. The problem was that I could not NOT learn eglish as I was playing lots of vidya and almost the whole internet is english, thus I do not even know english grammar, I just speak it.

For french though, I do have a mentor once a week. It is important as he can help highlight what I do not know while I make vocabulary progress and can explain any misconceptions or quirky grammar rules that I would otherwise not know.

What helped me the most?
Consistency
Motivation
Discipline

You can get away with not having one these, but if you don't have two or more, just stop trying to learn as you will never make it.

Je ne suis pas sûr que tu veuilles dire. En general, on ajoute beaucoup de determinants à la fin des mots, c'est pourqui hongrois est une langue "agglutanative"
Recherche ce sujet sur Wikipedia, c'est interessant!

Well you can try your chance at those italki, hellotalk, speaky kinda sites.Also if you haven't already I would suggest you use something like pimsleur or another resource with something that has emphasis on pronunciation like maybe fsi, dsi tapes.

For me personally, I love watching french youtubers. I guess there are some turkish ones as well. Shows me how real natives speak, and some even have subtitles. (Read subtitles in the target language, not english!)

>dsi tapes
*dli tapes

Persian, turkish, arabic.
Start with languages that are closer to yours, then move away.

le bump

>The j and ly difference
REEEEEEE, that shit rustles my jimmies. Both are pronounced the same way, they're just written differently for no logical reason at all. The MTA needs to be nuked for letting this shitty, nonsensical rule carry on.

>really like Korean things
>don't start learning because who knows I still like it in 4 years

Fuck off

You will. Especially if it extends to classical Korean history and culture beyond SNSD.

youtube.com/watch?v=TGbwL8kSpEk

Whats wrong?

Nothing unnatural about that.

A lot of people say you should give up if you don't find the language interesting, which I agree with if you've only just started studying. Being bored and unmotivated by grinding seems perfectly natural to me, though. The fact is, you can't escape the boring parts of language learning, like using flash cards, if you want to make decent progress. Personally, I go through stages of being motivated and unmotivated usually linked to a perception of making progress/ feeling frustration (see pic related but replace "skill at making art" with language skill, and "skill at evaluating art" with awareness of your mistakes).
Essentially, you just have to force yourself through it. Once you've gone through the cycle a few times, you will realise your low is natural. Set your goals low for those days when you're unmotivated.

Italiano

You either learn it or you don't; that's really enough for me, at least. I wanna learn it and use it, so I study (in this case, French and Japanese). As I get older I am less interested in provisional time-wasters like video games and shows, so basically language learning is a "hobby" rather than "study time". Also, if this is your first long term goal, being consistent in the face of boredom or a lack of motivation will only get easier the longer you do it.

I will say this though: I've taken two very long breaks during my Japanese learning treks. First break had about a three year gap, the second one only a one year gap. Obviously, I wasn't learning anything new in the stagnation, but every time I have jumped back in and started studying again, the information flooded back into my brain quite fast, and a week or two later I was back to where I was before.

So basically, if your life absolutely has to take a detour and you must stop studying, it will not all be for naught if you get back it later. On the flip side, you either learn the language or you don't, so be as consistent as possible if you would like to see the fruits of your labor. Interact with the anons over at djt, if you aren't already.

French niggas love hatin', dawg. Shits wilin. Keep doin' you. Yo fremch on fleek

Merci bien
>insulte un Québécois
Papa...

Chinese is a language that needs to be spoken, Latin is a language really can't be spoken.
Unless you have a job translating latin or using latin documents its not that worth it, even as a jumping point to learn other romance languages.

bump

I'd like to add a resource to the pastebin.
en.childrenslibrary.org
Lots of childrens books in various languages, categories 3-5yo, 6-9yo, 10-13yo. Whilst at first you might think "children's books, what", it's I believe a kind of language that's better for (early) learners, as long as you can deal with "simple stories"

Wow, this is amazing
Thanks dutch user!

What are you learning right now?

Anki, it's free software.

Memrise is free too. The paid upgrade is basically useless

Do you actually need the language?
I don't see a point in learning something you'll never use. If you had plans to move to the place or to spend a lot of time there then it would be so much easier. Having a huge interest in literature or films isn't probably enough to motivate someone (except for the weeabos).

Farsi, this site was linked to me by someone in /mena/ iirc. I just remembered having it iny my bookmarks.

Also, pic related shows the number of books per language, for some reason the top is, excluding English, Farsi, Mongolian and Spanish.

Mongolian, who'd have thought.

No, I mean free software in the slightly obnoxious way.
gnu.org/philosophy/free-sw.en.html

I haven't really checked out Memrise, but a reason why I prefer Anki over those websites is that you create the content yourself. Creating the flashcards is also a way of learning.

Good shit user

pastebin.com/JN01tWVF

German speakers, pls help.
This sounds wrong:
>Die Mutter von meinen Freund ist Zahnärztin

Shouldn't it be "meineM Freund"?

What's the worst part of learning a new language and why is it grammar ?

The worst part is overcoming the incredible shyness and embarrassment when trying to talk to native speakers because you make mistakes and sound goofy.

This.

Even through i understand basic Russian, i am reluctant to speak it when playing CS:GO for the reasons you listed, either because i will embarass myself or because they will think i understand more and i am just ignoring them.

To be fair, it's encouraged to make mistakes because that's the only way to learn. Most normal people won't mind, they will even find it adorable, but you can also run into people like this (I assume it's relevant).

Question for Anons:
What video game is best for learning languages which is not specifically made for learning languages?

ja, "meinem" is correct

Yes, it should be "meinem" not "meinen"

Well, thats tricky, i.e. the dativ case is wrong here. If the dativ was right, you would be correct, it needs to be "von meinem Freund".

The correct case however is genitiv: "Die Mutter meines Freundes ist Zahnärztin."

der Dativ ist dem Genitiv sein Tod amk

dem user sein post istt einfach spitze

Autism is the key, my friend.

Thanks
It's a self-study book and shit like this can mess with one's head.

Oh, the exercise was to transform the genitive into the dative form.

Wait, I just realised every single sentence in 13.1 uses the dativ case. It's wrong every time.

Does Russian sound gay to you? I heard it does to other speakers of slavic languages.

Now that you mention it, it does. It sounds way softer.
Reminds me of how Dutch sounds to me compared to German. Way smoother, softer and less harsh.

I recomment any RPG game, but especially if you are replaying them because first time experiance with game in foreging language is rather confusing.

Two personal things i did for Russian. When i was 8 or 9 when i first played RPG game Gothic 1, it was in english and i dind't understand much, i beated it mainly because i loved the game, but it is only after few years that when i returned to it, i understood it completly, so you know i got an idea. Because i know the game inside out, i installed it in Russian language, it helps me memorize some common sentences and creates a artificial demmand for me to keep learning the language.

Also i installed Skyrim in Russian voices, but left english subtitles, so that helps.

So if you own(because if it's pirated you can't do this) and played it a lot before, i recommend this vid for guide how to do that.
youtube.com/watch?v=hZ5EPsXkEdY