/daily/ music discussion thread: Punk = Meme Genre edition

The point of these threads is to encourage people to look for new and interesting music. We do this by listening to and ideally discussing albums we've never heard before. Many of us already listen to new music daily, these people are in it to venture "out of their comfort zone" by listening to albums they otherwise wouldn't have, or just to have a good time.

>make charts
neverendingchartrendering.org/

>listen to tunes
plug.dj/sdc-room-3-the-sequel

>/listenalong schedules
daily-mu.blogspot.com/p/welcome.html

Previous thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/black_tape_for_a_blue_girl/remnants_of_a_deeper_purity/
rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/felicita/post-tenebras-lux/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mindly_rotten/the_most_exquisite_agonies/
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/encenathrakh/encenathrakh/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

no

>another internet safespace for alt right white bois
*snores*

nah

Awful op kys

>study, sleep, jog
So anything but listen on its own; stop listening to drone pleb

haha cuck

lololol

idk what you'd define as "white" but there's plenty of people from east europe/west asia as well as latin america.

plus sshx is of the girl species and nyar and herb are close enough

and I'm like 70% sure woolite is black but I'm scared to ask

rude but not wrong

>Boris - Flood
>Psychedelic Rock, Minimalism, Drone

First track, and First thought: "Was Reich involved in this?"
Second thought: "Looks like you guys are 20 years late to the Minimalism party"
Third thought: "ok i like the cave sounds"

I think the first track is lacking in undertones like the pianos in Piano Phase would have, being electric and all. Piano Phase is mysterious, driving, and reassembles itself at will. Flood I sounds flat in comparison.

Thankfully, Flood 2 strays away from this cheap impersonation with some Slowcore. Nothing outstanding, but hypnotic nonetheless. A guitar solo at the end pierces through the water like a knife, but it works.

A faint voice comes through in Flood 3, joined with light electronic coos, and a lone guitar.

If Flood 2 was the end of a party, in a lone suburban town on a warm night, the beginning of Flood 3 would be a quiet confession between the last two people that were left. That is, until a distant roar introduces the first moments of fear: and it all comes crashing down, in moments of triumph and anger.

Flood 4 repeats a bass line you'll probably be familiar with from Flood 3 at this point, and lets itself sink beneath feedback. Nothing is left save a dull hiss, faint pitches and hums from some sort of machine, and a tidal push and pull. Handled much better than Flood 1, but that's because it's drone versus Minimalism.

The album has gone from minimalism to slowcore to post rock; an upward drift in dynamics, cresting higher and higher like a monstrous wave, before falling in Flood 4.

This isn't inaccessible in the slightest. Probably the easiest starter kit for anyone interested in drone-esque genres, since it's got influences from all of them. Flood is an excellent title for an album that seamlessly blends 4 waves of sound.

7.5/10

place some bets ppl
i appear to have been btfo

>Minor Threat - Complete Discography
>Hardcore punk

I've reached the conclusion that this is Punk music how it SHOULD be played. Skips the bullshit of pretending to know what it's talking about, and directing a stream of consciousness, all in a tight 40 minute album.

The first portion of the album follows a similar pattern: thwack drums at frenetic pace, strum loudly on distorted guitar, and yell the track title repeatedly with barely audible lyrics. The 1 to 2 minute lengths of each track forms tall and narrow mountains, that a rope haphazardly pulls you over rocks and dirt. It isn't until halfway through that the band is able to constrain themselves, trading a bit of their ferocity for musical composition itself; just compare the first "Out of Step (With the World)" EP version track to the album version.

12XU and In My Eyes signals the band's shift in directing their hostility. 12XU has a riling vocal performance, and In My Eyes restrains itself to deliver some faithful words: "You tell me that I make no difference / At least I'm fuckin' trying / What the fuck are you doing?"

Guilty Of Being White stands well to beat back white apologists: "I'm sorry / For something I didn't do // You blame me for slavery / A hundred years before I was born". Steppin Stone is probably my favorite track on the record for the distant vocal delivery. Look Back And Laugh feels a bit more hopeless, as Ian MacKaye is forced to lose to time and the human condition.

Cashing In, amongst the last 4 tracks of the album, is an exultant and cheeky anthem for the band itself, with some of the best playing, a great chorus, and chilling last note.

The last three tracks are from the band's first EP, Salad Days, recorded 6 years before the furious 1981 Minor Threat EP. Made me appreciate how this compilation was set up, having the very first tracks made by the band close out their final product-- they feel the most human.

Probably the best punk album I've heard yet.

8/10

what the FUCK i just saved the updated one ugh

Hello /blog/
This is easily the best purchase I'll make all year, hanging out on Discogs for years for a decent price paid off in spades

12XU is by wire and salad days is Mac demarco meathead

Ian mackee is a unoriginal cuck dud doesn't even drug

betting on jangle or Letov

If i'm wrong then you choose any 3 albums for me to review, meme or not

i dont like either of those artists, im glad i heard this version first

this listenalong is pissing me off
>any 3 albums
ooo bb
so the bet is only if both jangle and letov win right?

i'm on quite the roll today

Пpeзидeнт & Aмaзoнкa - Жy-жy

absolutely lovely happy hardcore 90s dance euro blah. its so crisp. i love the chipmunk voices. on track 8 there is this really nasty male voice that comes in but thats the only thing i disliked about it. big love.

manfred schoof - european echoes

v neat avant jazz. love the absolute chaos and punk attitude, although its not as extreme as a similar album Babylon Bypass by Mohel, which is one of the few actually scary albums i've heard and its hard not to think of that while listening to manfred. good though.

christopher hipgrave - day

big fan of glitch and ambient and mixing the together is a great idea obviously. this one didn't amaze me, although i am probably not in the right emotional mood to really feel it right now. there are still some really cool tones in here and you get some good mental images from it, like streams with blue bridges crossing over them, or a new morning with fresh dew on the grass.

andrew poppy - the beating of wings

very pretty sort of poppy minimalism. reminds me a lot of ferrero's recent stuff but 30 years before him. track 3 isn't actually so good, but it has certain parts that are really neat so i'm not too bothered by it. it's largely like a kinda lame depeche mode which is very weird in the context of the rest of the album. i might edit out those bits for myself in the future. big big love.

what should i hear next?

hm

oops this is the wrong file oh well it just has the love and pretty cool texts on the albums i talked about.

lol on it

>he hasn't heard the original salad days
Oh wow

get ready to either not care about or outright dislike music for 42 mintues

the mix has a few tracks sorta in that vein hmm
im gonna abort and upload the poppunk one for you otherwise my bets are on letov

Also nigga how can you not like wire when you ain't even heard 12XU

Confirmed fake
SPOW

hmm i am expecting to really like it

>SPOW
Oops I posted that upside down
MOdS

how much in that vein
i like dead can dance and i listened to this rateyourmusic.com/release/album/black_tape_for_a_blue_girl/remnants_of_a_deeper_purity/ like a year or two ago and remember thinking it was pretty good, although i dont remember much from it and it needs a relisten
but this listenalong is making me want to rant

hm

If either of them wins the tourney

Salad days sat on my comp for a year and it was never interesting enough to go all the way through

k i listened to it and it Minor Threat did it better

i dont like punk

boooo ok

Minor threat is just punk played fast take your genrist prejudices and leave

w8 i take back my boo
you got a deal boy-o

Oh, another neoclassical darkwave album that suffers from the same problems every other neoclassical darkwave album suffers from.

What a twist!

not even close to the most updated version lmao

ooo boy that is an outdated listenalong

Don't worry, I'm a time traveler.

punk played fast is the most palatable punk ive heard yet

hellyea just fk me up

nice job ya maroon

torts u just deleted like everyones review lad

Don't worry, I can travel time. And a one, and a two, and a

*poof*

see I went back in time to tell everybody not to take my spot, so nobody took my spot so I could take my spot in the final version. Duh.

>it's a daily fills up the listenalong chart to drive a train on zane's ass episode

Good bit

I was trying to manipulate time so everybody could be saved from listening to this album, but it didn't work ;_;

damn.

FUCk
i just finished a huge rant in that spot on the chart lmao

WE'RE FULL BOYS

like 2, just nothing that's actually tagged darkwave, idk much from that genre at all. i like the other mixes more so having you pan that shit would be more interesting but based on fact the exitsense thing won i went with that so yeah what do i know i guess

Here's a 2017 chart. Pretty much everything I've listened to this year has been good, but often missing something, especially the albums on here that are follow-ups. Aside from Genetics and Windsurfing and The Necks of course, those are absolutely fantastic. Also, shout out to Fuuka ASMR for carving out their own niche and improving on this whole nightcore in a blender thing.

Let me know if you want me to elaborate on a score or want a lil review.

As long as Laurel Halo's new album blows me away like her new single did, I think I'll be okay this year.

hey if u haven't heard this yet, it seems up your alley. plus it's 2017.
rateyourmusic.com/release/djmix/felicita/post-tenebras-lux/

Punk played fast is 78.0903% of punk whatyou been listening too

and there it is
i was surprised with the exit sense desu it was cool as fuck and keri baby is too good not to let win lol

You know I'll always take your recs. Added.

I'd like to pick up a Nonlinear Record tape because it's one of the best sounding Orange Milk releases in years but I just can't abide by this shipping price
Even I have my limits

>not manipulating time from even further in the past so everyone can be a chuuni
you idiot!!

Cool, I'll check out one or two of these. Necks is probably my album of the year so far too. Check out the Angles 9 album in a similar vein

Listen to my boy ichy suckamoretoe's new record

pls pick any album on here so i can wash my ears before i go to sleep

YEET
hyped to plow through the new orange milk batch. looks fun. already bought a tape of G&M without even sampling it.
i thought the album was dragging on. i checked and i was halfway through track 1. it was a very aggravating experience.

black unity

u got it boss

>wash ears
Free jazz!

more like 40% but yeah

recc me good punk then since you already know what genres im biased towards

I like how social just whatever sounds like something I could have made 3 years ago

the samples though

i might make an album exclusively sampling youtube videos that is meant to emulate early one track sound collage. should start on that soon.

no he's right it's more like 78% of punk lmao
you're thinking of post-punk
which i guess technically is a subgenre of punk
but
it's sort of its own thing
this is when you realize labeling music is dumb

Ha I've sucked you in you will now love punk

Hit me with ya rym

>blapp just rec'd me 2 neoclassical darkwave albums on rym
stop bullying me please

oh wait i thought they were saying that album was 78% of all punk I listened to

because this album really is about 30% of all punk I've listened to

yeah no
rateyourmusic.com/~Accelerando_

it was out of love and rage friend

hmm decent scores, my dude

I personally like Day more than Euro Echoes but hey they're both cool
hey, the record didn't get completely trashed

however those that did trash it trashed this harder than the last one

interesting

>In any order desu
>David Bowie
>Interpol
>Radiohead
>Joy Division
>Blur

>also worth mentioning pre-AM bs album Arctic Monkeys, Definitely Maybe from Oasis and Talking Heads

I'm not a meme
more reccs?

Jamaican Skeleton Dance Dynamic

at least now you know /daily/ is full of filthy normalfags firsthand

this is what i would've recommended for the listenalong in a different timeline, incase anyone's interested rateyourmusic.com/release/album/mindly_rotten/the_most_exquisite_agonies/

for some reason most of the things i've heard that others haven't are mostly edgy
i will forgive you if u rec me 1 good music

Looks pretty solid, might just give this a listen anyway

Have you heard this?
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/encenathrakh/encenathrakh/
I thought it was pretty good when I listened to it.

Damn that's rough dude but yea I wouldn't pay that shit

Will do, thanks. The Necks always deliver

Already on my list!

Good choice. I knew my hype wasn't misplaced. I sampled the whole batch and felt kinda lukewarm on the rest but i havent given anything a proper listen yet

Tbh just started with dead kennedys

Nat deserves to win out of pure integrity but his rec is pretty damn good

that's so awesome. Can I have it?

excited for literally everything

do don cherry buddy boy

lololol

oh my huge throwback to 2012 droning noktorn and no one else
idk if i'd dig that thing still but it's some kind of impressive

i enjoy me some good brutal death metal
even if it's not good it's still a fun genre to listen to every once in awhile

>one chance to choose the right album out of 2 that i was thinking about
>picked the wrong album
>months until my next turn
weren't you the one who suggested i do slam for the listenalong (even though this isn't exactly slam I guess)

did that elend album drop four whole points?

yee
there is no right album for the listenalong, even scooter didnt work

damn this album looks radical
can u pan my other 2 albums on the /daily/ chart after dogwander for my recs

the one wit the yellow cover looks fun.

it was at a 3.66 before /daily/ fucking gang raped it lmao
still didn't drop as much as veneer of democracy (though that's solely due to # of ratings)

>that's so awesome. Can I have it?
You can pry it from my cold dead hands!

sounds like a yes for fish

i await to be disappointed

:D

this is very good yes

i'll do yours next
i haven't actually, but i'll be sure to check it out

i'm a huge brutal dm/ slam guy, it's hard to find something within those genres that I don't love

I thought so too, but I listened to the first couple of tracks and nothing grabbed me

rest in peace natking

meh. we'll see.

Breakeadito may grow on me since I like some footwork

cool im looking forward to it (:
ill check out this other album tomorrow

Don't let my cuntiness color your onion pls, jello deserves better

HAHAHAHAHAHA

kendrick - humble is a 0.5/5

lemme know what you think

lmao

I thought user natkingcole still being 17 was a meme the friq

holy fuck