GREEN ROOM

Am I the only one who thinks this movie is boring, characterless, and pretentious as fuck?

The reddit generation eat up all of those things so long as it is presented to them with the rotten tomatoes certified fresh seal of memeproval.

honestly, I feel insane everytime i read positive reviews for this movie. They all must have seen it at a film festival while drunk and high out of their minds (i hear there was lots of cheering at these screenings. Crowds can change how you watch a movie. )

Why do you think it's pretentious?

No

What do you mean by pretentious?

Is this on Netflix

No its only fairly recently been in cinemas. Blue Ruin is on there though - the director's first film

I didn't think it was pretentious, but i really didn't like the movie. It was completely tensionless, and the characters were so weak I didn't care about anything that happened. I really like Blue Ruin tho, watched it after Green Room.

1) it doesn't throw the nazi thing in your face. I think it expects you to understand its a huge part of the pacific northwest, but the effect is weird. I think he did it to make it clearer that these people are human beings also, but I think the better choice is to build up the nazi stuff, then put some real humanity into the characters to subvert expectations.

2) the movie wants every character to be super complicated, but they end up being indistinguishable. I think the director just doesn't understand how to write well-rounded, yet distinguishable characters, or even more pretentious, thinks "character" is a myth.

3) everything is fucking green.

4) the ending is cringeworthy "revenge is actually fine" bullshit

Blue Ruin is good.

I thought the first act was pretty good. I loved the early interview scene, the show at the diner, and when they first play at the neo-nazi club house. Playing Nazi Punks Fuck Off was a great little bit to add in.

Post-murder is when it starts to go downhill though there was still some good stuff in there as well. They really underutilized Picard and I could barely understand what he was saying with his all deep throated mumblings. The ending was pretty bad. I would've liked to have heard Anton's desert island band because the scene where they change their answers because they think they might die was great.

A lot of the additional killings and doling out of the drugs etc. was poorly explained and I think there would've been much easier ways to kill them than the ones they wound up choosing.

Ah well. I still enjoyed it but Sup Forums made it seem like it was gonna be an amazing movie and it was just decent because of a novel premise.

It's like i knew everything that was going to happen in blue ruin two scenes beforehand, but then thought "no, it must be more complicated than that!" Then it wasn't. It actually happened slower.

I thought it was a 5/10 artifical Reddit hype flick that was shilled really hard as some amazing instant classic.
it was bland and mediocre as fuck.

> I would've liked to have heard Anton's desert island band because the scene where they change their answers because they think they might die was great.

honestly, THIS was such a huge oversight. It's like he forgot what he wrote

Can we talk about why Anton stuck his hand out the fucking door at the beginning? My friend said it was because "normal people know not to throw guns so he was trying to hand it to him" but if that's the case then contextualize that in the movie or his character. What a dumb part.

Also, can we talk about the part where they're inside, the big guy comes in and shoots his traitor buddy, then in the blink of an eye they're busting outside and getting shot at? What the fuck happened there

you can guess what his desert island band just by watching the movie

>director makes viewers guess the band

fucking pretentious asshole

>be a clueless retard
>compain about movie being pretentious

I was pissed about that too, then fucking CCR started playing and it hit me.

I know CCR you fucking asswipe and I know people think that's the answer but good goddamn, what's so hard about actually saying that in the movie? Making the audience guess is just an easy way of making your movie seem deeper than it is.

What are you guessing that it is?

Haven't seen Green Room but I saw Blue Ruin and didn't really like it.

I liked the presentation and minimal exposition, but to me the whole DUDE EVERYTHING GOES WRONG LMAO schtick got old really fast.

I think this director fucking fails at coming up with cause-and-effect situations that people would normally - and believably - do

both green room and blue ruin were rubbing me the wrong way of how off-center events were playing out

I love you. No longer feel insane.

he was gonna throw it but when he opened the door they grabbed his arm and pulled it out.

after they kill the dude who shot his buddy they get the shotgun and think what the hell and go out blazing. doesnt work out tho.

i really liked this movie. pretty straight forward thriller and youre not spoonfed anything.
>"fuckin hardcore. thats the one i did her to."
the pitbull scene at the end was cute.

im ok with this. why does the audience have to be told everything?

It definitely wasn't pretentious. I can see how you might think it was boring or characterless tho

lots of people tell you this movie doesn't treat viewers like idiots. Well, this is one of the many instances where it treats some (the not worthy) as idiots. Why would the movie seem like its talking down to people just because the character tells another person his favorite band?

Also, lets approach this on a character level for a second. When a character actually SAYS something he couldn't say before, they're opening up. They have completed a character arc. This is important because its an indication of how the events of the film have affected the character. It makes the events more real.

Believe it or not, if a character doesn't say it in the film, he technically never said it.

I would also argue that cutting away to the song puts more emphasis on the "what" instead of the "why", the "what" being the band/song, and the "why" being why the character likes it, why SAYING this is his favorite band is important, why not saying it is important. How he looks when he's telling someone else this is so goddamn important. In that moment he could be rendered real.

It honestly just seems like the director wants to tell the audience what his favorite band is, instead of servicing the characters he has created on screen. It's actually, when you think about it, pretty pretentious

Yes,I felt it was bland but just because of the lead actors.
It was ok story and seting with great performance by Macon Blair and Eric Edelstein.

as we know with m. night shamalyan movies, a director can make great actors look like mindless retards

He stuck his hand out the door, tried to pull it back, then they grabbed it.

There's no moment where the characters say "what the hell, let's go out shooting" and that's important. Also, why would they think to do that? What's the context for that decision.

You're right, the movie doesn't spoon feed you important character motivations, perspectives, decisions, or logical scenarios. 10/10 great forced dialog

It's pretty awful in comparison to Blue Ruin.
Blue Ruin is close to masterpiece levels.

Green Room pretends to have the same weight but without anything noteworthy thematically.

I actually lied to myself and pretended that I liked it afterwards because I wanted to like it so much. A few days later I thought about it again in comparison to Blue Ruin and honestly I never want to see or hear from Green Room again. Fucking tripe.

>all those people too cool to like a movie

None of the arguments given itt make sense.

>DUDE EVERYTHING GOES WRONG LMAO
Literally wut

70% of the movie at least is the main character successfully evading and dispatching his enemies. What goes wrong other than the way they find out he killed Wade?

You're embarrassing yourself and just admit you watched the first 15 minutes of the movie then came here to give your review. Pathetic.

you like a movie that's too cool for school, dude, how's it feel?

>and pretentious as fuck?
When I see this in a post I know i should immediately disregard anything the person who wrote this thinks.

Same here. The ending to green room was just retarded. Should have just let the Nazis win and not have a happy end to be somewhat original

You're a moron. The film is probably one of the least pretentious films I've ever seen. The characters are just ordinary characters, with minimal exposition. They get stuck in a nazi clubhouse. It hardly even matters that's these guys are racist nazi, they're just bad dudes.

I don't see how anyone can argue this films has a happy ending. Yelchin and Poots might have killed all the bad guys but EVERYONE else died and they're clearly drained by the end of the movie.

K bye

>All their friends are dead
Happy ending

I felt there was nothing that special about it really, In a sea of utter mediocrity and cape shit it looks amazing I guess

It hides it's pretentiousness under its simple premise. Part of its pretentiousness is the simplicity of the characters. It's like it doesn't think good characterization is important, like its above it or something

It was better than Blue Ruin.

I almost took the bait.

The characters might not have had a ton of depth but I thought they were pretty decently drawn. Most of their dialogue speaks to their characters and the actors do a good job of making them feel real. What more did you need? They get stuck in a building with a bunch of people trying to kill them and they're just trying to survive.

POST THE REDDIT COMMENTS WERE THEY TALK ABOUT HOW THEY HAD TO PAUSE IT BECAUSE IT WAS TOO TENSE

Why? If anyone actually cared what Reddit thought I think they'd just go there.

the director things he's too cool for the internet. Tells you all you need to know.

Because they're worth a laugh you humorless cunt.

>this guys isn't familiar with internet forums where we all waste our time
>LET'S CRUCIFY HIM

cuz its funny.

sometimes redditors are smart tho

fuck off with your shitty movies Jez, blue ruin was shit.

he just says he's not familiar of the "internet," says nothing about message boards. Can you read?

>reading comprehension

They asked if he was familiar with the podcast and he's says no, and that he's not familiar with the internet in general. Obviously he knows what it is, he just doesn't spend much time on it. Or on message boards. Why is this so hard to understand?

>just like his movies, his quotes require you to read into them, bring more of yourself into them, order to extract any actual meaning

Oh hush, that guy was just being a retard.

actually the point was they did NOT kill all the bad guys... don't you forget we see shots of other bad dudes chilling and tweaking in their houses. i guess it implies its only a matter of time before they come check in on their buddies and the couple of survivor will be ded.

That was the band who got a bad batch of nigger heroin. Picard poisoned them mate.

It's Reddit the movie.

The violence was pretty wicked in this movie.

That was the only thing that left an impression.

dude... don't be too difficult. horror movies are rarely "good" so i can't let myself hating on that one.

maybe if you idiots turned off your cellphones and payed attention to the screen for once you would understand whats going on without having the director point it at you with arrows and letters

>first film
>he hasn't seen murderparty

Yes.

It wasn`t pretentious at all. Characters were neither flat nor round, not bad though.

And boring? No, its cylindrical but has good use of suspense.

Idiot.