youtu.be/bRmIjBYToi0
Shut up

>bill wurtz

i love you

classical music is more popular than most of the popular music

Please give example.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Music_genre

3 main genres:
popular (anything primarily stored in a recording and made for sales)
Classical/art music (anything primarily stored in a written score and in the classical tradition)
Traditional (anything stored in a peoples collective memory, and passed down by example. Often has an important function within a culture)

Popular music is essentially all bands, producers, singer songwriters and "artists".
Classical music is all composers
Traditional music is what you hear when you go to Bali and hear gamelan

>Classical music is the only music worthy of being called art
Classical elitism is the disgusting snobbery holding back music as an art form

This has nothing to do with elitism, he just explained some terminology to you.

Shhh, just let the insecure friend be insecure about his hobbies.

>when you listen to Palestrina while taking a shit

"art music" is just another label for classical. All music is technically art. But post Duchamp, the word art has little meaning. it could be a recorded fart and technically 'art'

I like both.

>But post Duchamp,
Opinion discarded. Every arsehole on this website that knows nothing about art brings up duchamp as he is the definitive creator and landmark in modern art. You only know him because Sup Forums won't shut the fuck up about him and so that's spread all over this website

*as if he is the definitive creator

I meant that duchamp was the destroyer of the word 'art'. I don't think much of him. Just that the word 'art' is meaningless after what he and his movement did

I prefer art by people with technical skills. Same as I prefer my music written by trained composers.

>I meant that duchamp was the destroyer of the word 'art'
He wasn't though. That work that I know you're thinking of because it's the only one anyone ever talks about, isn't just a urinal. Don't take art at face value

Not him but I think wall noise is art while urinal isn't.

>Don't take art at face value
you should listen to Ferneyhough. Be sure not to take his music at face value though. Look at the premise and meaning behind his works before listening.

The point of the urinal was to attack the snobbery of the art world and expose the art critics as self important arseholes. "What is art?" is a question that has been asked and remains unanswered since a long time before duchamp. He knew that if he sent a urinal into a gallery, he'd get a reaction. They rejected it (as he expected) by saying that is "wasn't art" therefore the gallery owners claim that they have the answer to this important question that centuries of artists have argued about. It also shows that they think of themselves as the gatekeepers of what is and what isn't art which shows the self-importance of the art world.
It was also challenging the ancient idea that art needed to be unique which of course a factory made urinal isn't

Cool. It's not art though.
Source: me.

Source NOW NOW NOW

this. duchamp was a hack who could only try for shock value because he wasn't bright or creative enough to make actual art.

Fair point

Even if we go by your definition of art. This is duchamp and it definitely is art

But classical music is the classical music of now.

Jazz > Classical

lol no

youtu.be/2cpXpgjUT2k

sadpanda/g/390412/07e0f46fb3/

no ban plx mods

You can listen to both classical and popular music you know

Uh, no. That means you have a personality besides your taste in music and you can't do that in Sup Forums.

You can, but why would you? If you set aside some time to listen to some music, and you can choose between listening to something good and something shitty, it's not a difficult decision.

I love classical, threads like this are more likely to make me hate it.

Because you're not going to find this in classical
youtu.be/1HXa4UiY8Yc
And you're not going to find this in contemporary music
youtu.be/CpwG6yCZ5QY

>Because you're not going to find this in classical
>Swans
Is this a joke? Or do you think all classical is just pleasant background music?

why would you waste your time listening to music written by untrained amateurs?

There's over 500 years worth of classical music to listen to, you'll never listen to it all.

*tips fedora*

>he hasn't realized the folly of modernism yet

haha sure user, we're such idiots

Post something similar to my link.

>inb4 WAGNER!

Fuck off.

honestly though why is Sup Forums filled with half-assed popular modernists

if you're going to be an asshole aesthete you could at least commit

Nobody said this, it's just a label because the term classical is confusing. Some people are so eager to call classical listerns elitists even when that is not the case. Many people are actively trying to get more people to listen to classical music, thats the opposite of elitism.

t. guy who has only seen the urinal.

no.

>The Stranger
>next to genre fiction trash
b8 as heck
It might be entry level, but it isn't completely without merit. Put something like The Count of Monte Cristo there instead, now there's something that normies love to hold up as being much better than it really is

t. autistic aspie that read l'etranger and went "oh wow he's just like me; intelligent, nihilistic and with a wicked sense of humor"

Jazz is shit

Classical music is extremely popular.

>The Stranger
>not trash
lmao dude

see