APOLOGIZE

fuck off NIGGER, Kovalev won the fight

fuck off MICK

robbery

PAYBACK 4 TRUMP

STAY MAD CRACKAS

I am racist now desu. Fuck niggers

Actually I will. It took real skill and balls to come back from a nightmare opening and he was in an entertaining fight for once.

fucking robbery
pet negro and hes white cucks judge

> getting this mad

>Being surprised a Russian boxer gets robbed on US soil, especially with the current state of things
I'm glad I went to sleep, no point in staying up past 5am to watch rigged shit
I knew he'd get robbed

I was rooting for Ward but he didn't do enough IMHO to take the belt from the champion. I'll definitely watch the rematch.

KEK

crackas that voted for Trump watch CFB, not boxing.

does kovalev need to do more cardio to keep from gassing in his training for the rematch?

lmao ward knows deep down he lost, look at his face at the end

To be fair he was getting hit with a lot of body shots

i don't know what people saw in kovalev after round 2. he just took bodyshot after bodyshot.

how is this a robbery? for christ sake ward landed the hardest shots of the latter half of the fight

Man, this is ignorant. Ward lost the fight.

Kovalev still landed more punches and significant strikes

>white bois

lol why do they even bother?

Ward is half Irish.

Ward's dad is white

kovalev got robbed

He can avenge this in the rematch and then we can see a trilogy.

3/4 of the fighters were white tho

Only in the eyes of a casual

rematch will NEVER happen, boxing is fucked up. Ward will fight some no names and ignore Kov and Chickenson

He'll call out GGG again, sign up to fight another Columbian cab driver then retire in a few years

I fell asleep at 7:21am this morning.

Terrible year for boxing.

Tyson Fury legitimately won all heavyweight belts, subsequently the stole a belt from him.

Then Skysports and Eddie Hearn launched a media campaign against Fury while promoting Anthony Joshua as the true world champion, Joshua holds the IBF belt that was stolen from Fury.

While Fury was the genuine heavyweight champion, Sky and Hearn have marketed Joshua to a whole new generation of kids, who didn't even know who Tyson Fury was.

Heavyweight division is corrupt, only one real champ left, he's injured and won't fight a competitive battle for another year at least, and then it will probably be a warm up. (Deontay Wilder)

Now the same corruption that stole Fury's heavyweight prestige, have blatantly rigged a whole night of boxing without any internal apology.

Perez beat Hooker in every round, yet the match was a draw, Kovalev beat Ward, threw him around like a rag doll in some rounds. Ward looked battered after the final bell juxtaposed to Kovalev who still looked fresh faced.

Russian athletes beware, look at Anna Kournikova who has had her career destroyed for being Russian. America bans a widely used drug in Russia, then subsequently begins to ban Russian athletes who took that drug.

American is corrupt, only weakness needs to hide behinds lies and politics.

test

>both undefeated
>at their peaks
>fight actually lives up to the hype
>refglove decision

Boxing isn't scored by total punches landed. He landed by around 10 more and threw 100 more to do it which isn't a significant margin.

I could see it going either way, but people calling robbery are clearly are casual as fuck and need to stick to /HEEM/ threads(Or not talking about boxing at all). Kovalev fought a horrible 2nd half because of all of the body work Ward was putting in. It was a razor close fight.

Kovalev had a rematch clause dumb ass.

The Perez fight was close too?

The margin for error for scoring this fight is anywhere between. 116-111 for Kovalev, and 114-113 for Ward

However, that doesn't mean the decision is OK. 114-113 in favour of Ward is an anomaly, to get that score, you have to be incredibly gratuitous to Ward, giving him almost every tight round, every tight exchange, and have an apologetic view of his style. For one judge to give him that, fine. But for all 3 judges to give him that, and on all 3 scorecards to give Kovalev ONLY 1 round in the second half of the fight, out of a possible 18, is unacceptable.

Ward was paid $5 Million for this fight. Kovalev got $2 Million. Ward is an American. Kovalev is a Russian. All 3 judges are American. Ward is a more marketable fighter in future. What does that tell you?

Maurice Booker, who was gifted a draw against Darleys Perez in the fight previous when he was CLEARLY losing, just so happens to be a Roc Nation fighter also and touted prospect. Go figure.

Kovalev and Ward are fantastic fighters. I have nothing against Ward, he was terrific. But he didn't deserve that victory, it was daylight robbery.

>sports decided by a judge

into the trash it goes

Are you drunk Ireland?

The Perez-Hooker fight was one guy being thoroughly dominated from start to finish. Kovalev-Ward was a totally different fight.

That's bullshit. Ward is not more marketable than a guy that literally is a killer. Kovalev actually speaks English too so there isn't a language barrier preventing him from crossing over unlike Latino boxers.

Klitchko also had a rematch clause.. Doesn't mean anything

Fury pulled out of the rematch and retired because he's addicted to cocaine and admitted he was slogging off his training. How is that in any way an apt comparison?

Of course Ward is.

He's an American Gold medal Olympian promoted by Jay-Z, he hasn't lost a fight since he was 14 or whatever, he has huge home support in the Bay Area, he's the best African American fighter at the moment. He's something of an insider favourite too, very cosy with a lot of sports/boxing journalists, he's just done being involved in the Creed movie, has a deal with the Jordan brand, etc.

Biggest robbery in boxing.

>all 3 american judges
>HBO sayin "Ward raised in poverty" Showing us his ape mother everytime they could to make us sympathize.

pure and utter bullshit.

just more kike race bait ....F**k

>Ward is not more marketable than a guy that literally is a killer.
Ward could fight anyone posting in this thread and sell out the Oracle arena. Kovalev killing some cab driver in Russia doesn't translate to ticket sales in the states.

>Trusting Jews.

Boxing is dead

>The Perez-Hooker fight was one guy being thoroughly dominated from start to finish. Kovalev-Ward was a totally different fight.
Hooker was a part of Team Ward, it was a taster for he main event. Judges were corrupt. Biggest robbery since Pac vs Bradley.

Ward v Kovalev was not as one sided as Pac v Bradley, but Kovalev won this fight by at least 3 rounds.

It's like boxing always have to fuck it up in the end.

> Hangs around with Babylon
> calls himself Son of God

His god is evil, father of lies and deception, we seen this last night.

Again that's BS. Ward has been poked at for years for barely able to sell out parking lots in his hometown. Now he's a draw? Being a good American fighter would matter if he was Latino or White, but even blacks are starting to flock away from boxing. He certainly doesn't get the treatment of an Oscar De La Hoya even though he's arguably every bit as good as a prime Golden Boy.

Now all of a sudden excitement and blood doesn't matter over a guy with a style that only boxing hardcores can appreciate. No.

The network has far more to gain by Kovalev continuing to KO everybody. All of that outside stuff about media and endorsements doesn't matter because he has earned it.

That's fair to say Kovalev edged it by a few rounds but bringing up a clear 9-1, possibly 10-0 robbery as a comparison made no sense to me.

Same

Read again what I said. Ward is a more marketable fighter in future going forward. He's just signed a promotional contract with Roc Nation Sports (a brand new company) and is leading that stable of fighters. I never said he was a star now, but it's more plausible he could be, especially after a win on PPV like he was just given.

And to use your own argument against you, 'The network has far more to gain by Kovalev continuing to KO everybody'. Does it really? Because he's been doing this for a while now, and it hasn't exactly translated into mainstream success yet. When he headlined against Mohammedi in Vegas, it was in front of a 2/5ths full Mandalay Bay.

>Now all of a sudden excitement and blood doesn't matter over a guy with a style that only boxing hardcores can appreciate. No.
Then how did Floyd Mayweather become the biggest name in boxing with only two notable KO's (Hatton, Ortiz) in 10 years?

lol

Finally someone understands me thank you for your message brethren

Kovalev won first 6 rounds 4-2 with a knockdown

Ward won the next 6 rounds 5-1 (Kovalev won the 10th)

A couple of those rounds were so tight so I can understand scoring one of them to Kovalev

If you don't have a 114-113 scorecard either way you don't know shit about boxing

Sports entertainment is this way
Predetermined outcomes make boxing not a sport. Stop posting that shit here.

Because he talks a bunch of shit and marketed himself as a villain. He discovered that people paying to see him lose was the same as people paying to see him win, so why be humble?

Also most of his fights were against fairly notable names with the exception of 3 or 4(Ortiz, Guerrero, Maidana x2, Berto). And the sells of each of those fights reflected that. I don't believe any of those did over a million PPV buys except Ortiz, but Ortiz was against a Mexican on Mexican Independence Day.

Ward will never turn himself into a villain just to sell tickets. He markets himself as "The Son of God" for crying out loud.

Could say the same about Ward as well. Ward-Froch on The Boardwalk, New Jersey didn't fill out the arena either and that was the Super 6 final, not Kovalev vs Feather duster seller in Las Vegas.

>114-113 in favour of Ward is an anomaly
>For one judge to give him that, fine. But for all 3 judges to give him that

If they gave the exact same rounds you might have a case but they were close rounds that could've gone either way.

>on all 3 scorecards to give Kovalev ONLY 1 round in the second half of the fight, out of a possible 18, is unacceptable

Not really, it's subjective scoring and Ward's bodyshots defined the second half of the fight.

Nah kovalev only won by 1 round due to the KO imo, it was a very close fight

You undervalue demographics and dominance massively. You can be as much of a villain as you want (Mayweather), or be the nicest guy going (De La Hoya), what matters is that you're on top, people want to see you fight, or they want to see if other fighters can beat you. I thought Kovalev won the fight, but I still think Ward is a better fighter. When Ward was inactive, he was still being mentioned constantly. Why? Because people wanted to see if Golovkin could beat him, and vice versa.

When Ward fought Froch, Ward was still relatively unknown, and an underdog going into that tournament. His best win at that point was Artur Abraham, and he was by no means an attractive fighter. No one had understood the scale of Ward's abilities, he had to be birthed into relevance by those trials. Then came the lay-off.

Hence why I highlighted that Kovalev was given 1 round out of the potential 18 in the second half of the fight. It's incredibly fortuitous that he would scrape just enough rounds, find just enough favourability in exchanges to get himself out of the hole to win narrowly on all scorecards.

Ward's body punching was brilliant, it brought him back into contention. But for him to go 6, 6, 5 on all scorecards in the second half of the fight isn't correct or accurate judging.

Kovalev showed better ring generalship. Kovalev landed the more effective punches. Kovalev landed the more punches in total. Kovalev's jab effectively works an additional power punch at times.

>Now all of a sudden excitement and blood doesn't matter over a guy with a style that only boxing hardcores can appreciate.
Boxing hardcores can appreciate two pound for pound fighters lacing em up instead of firing shots over social media.
Boxing hardcores can appreciate guys going UP in weight and fighting the best that division has to offer.
Boxing hardcores can appreciate a man getting up from the canvas and pulling a come from behind victory.
Boxing hardcores can appreciate clean punching, effective aggressiveness, ring generalship, and defense.
>All of that outside stuff about media and endorsements doesn't matter because he has earned it.
Maybe the Light Heavyweight division should have their own super six tournament. Too bad HBO boxing is on life support.

>Boxing hardcores can appreciate a man getting up from the canvas and pulling a come from behind victory.
But that didn't happen user

sadly this
/box/ is closer to /wrestling/

what do you lads think will happen in the rematch?

I think it will be 50/50 again but more extreme. Either a hard KO win by Kovalev or a long, technical fight with ward winning a lot more comfortably by decision.

>50/50 again
Kovalev dominated Ward in the clinch, thrown him around like a ragdoll, dictated the fought, backed ward up in every round, conclusively was stronger and better fighter.

The ref protected ward by not breaking them up, the ref was corrupt, judges were corrupt, all round corruption.

I won't argue with anyone who feels Kov won a close fight. I also won't waste my time with anyone who thought either guy dominated this fight. Thank God for the immediate rematch clause. All questions should be answered then. I think Ward will win a Majority Decision. His superior infighting and conditioning will prevail over Kovalev's power and durability.

>thinking the decision had anything to do with muh cold war commies and muh god bless merica

The judges did it for bribe money, like always. Simple as that.

>for [Ward] to go 6, 6, 5 on all scorecards in the second half of the fight isn't correct or accurate judging

There's no such thing as correct or accurate judging, judging is subjective.

We can justify it if we look at the 4 categories we're supposed to judge on. Without breaking it down round by round, over the second half of the fight, Ward had effective aggressiveness (as demonstrated by his connect percentage), good defense for the most part, the better ring generalship (fighting inside and outside at will whilst Kovalev made little or no attempt to cut off the ring) and was landing clean, hard hooks to the body and jabs to the head.

Nobody is highlighting that Ward only won 4 of the potential 18 rounds in the first half of the fight because it doesn't tell you what actually happened in the fight.

There's been a multitude of bad and possibly even fixed decisions in boxing over the years but this isn't one of them. It was a close fight that the judges thought went Ward's way, it could've gone to Kovalev but then Ward and his camp could argue that they were hard done by.

>infighting
I don't argue with people who don't understand the words they use.

I think Ward's got the measure of Kovalev now. He blew it by not keeping the pressure up.

>muh cold war commies
It is not a conspiracy that Obama's America is at war with Russia on all fronts bar live fighting.

America is literally trying to besiege Russia economically, strategically, and popularly.

>What are body punches?
Thanks for not wasting my time.

I didn't know NBA Superstar Kyrie Irving was a boxer

Ward's great equalizer was meant to be getting inside Kovalev and roughing him up, IT NEVER HAPPENED, KOVALEV WON THE CLINCH

> THE CLINCH
>CLINCH

But also Ward's defence was exposed when he got knocked down by Kovalev, all he has to do next time his pressure him more.

This is some bullshit mayne

I should have known the jews weren't going to let a Russian win after they had "hacked" their server.

>There's no such thing as correct or accurate judging, judging is subjective.
Yes goyim, trust the judges, they have your best interests at heart!

>Ward had effective aggressiveness
If he landed less punches, he landed less punches. Conserving yourself doesn't score you points. Look at the state of his face compared to Kovalev's. Ward's bodywork was great, it turned the fight, but beyond that, his tamed aggression wasn't at the same level as Kovalev's.

>Good defense for the most part
I partly agree. He's a better defensive fighter than Kovalev, but Kovalev still landed shots he had no business landing, especially straight jabs down the pipe.

>the better ring generalship
Sorry this is ridiculous. Circling on the outside, constantly stepping out of range, clinching and moving backwards isn't ring generalship. It's not controlling your opponent, it's coping with them, there's a huge difference. It's like whenever Lara jogs around the ring for 12, 'he was fighting his kind of fight doe!', no, he's coping and survivng with the threat in front of him. Kovalev was stupid for not cutting the ring off, but this idea that Ward was some kind of snake-charmer is a complete falsehood.

This wasn't Pacquiao-Bradley I bad, but it was still the wrong decision, and a vital one which changes the face of the division and the boxing landscape. It's a terrible injustice, and boxing can't keep making these fucking terrible mistakes time over, people aren't sticking around.

Ward was clearly a little complacent and was surprised by Kov's power. However he weathered the storm and was able to get his distance in the mid rounds, making him swing and miss a bunch and was never in trouble thereafter.

He now knows what to expect so Kov needs a much smarter gameplan if he wants success.

That's like saying the Sven Ottke decisions were revenge for the world wars. Ward won because it was his home turf, no conspiracy beyond that.

>Says 114-113 for Ward is within the margin of error
>Still says it's an anomaly.

Which one is it? If you think it's an acceptable score, then don't cry bullshit when it happens. An acceptable score for one judge is acceptable for all three, albeit a bit eye-opening.

It's an anomaly.

If I flip a coin 5 times, and it's heads each time. That's an anomaly. Now it can happen, but it shouldn't in a controlled environment. Heads is still a viable result for each flip though.

Ward won by 1 point on the scorecards right? So that means he won 7 rounds and Kovalev won 5 right? But Kovalev got a knockdown, so that would mean Ward would have to win 8 rounds to get that score, can anyone in their right mind sit there and tell me Ward won 8 rounds in that fight? Kovalev outlanded Ward in total punches in 6 rounds according to Compubox, he also outlanded Ward in power punches in 6 rounds according to compubox, some of the other rounds were within one or two punches of each other, he landed more overall punches in the fight, and threw far more punches overall, hence was the busier fighter, he was the aggressor for the majority of the fight controlling the centre of the ring and backing Ward against the ropes, Ward was backing up for most of the fight, he also got a knockdown and landed the more damaging punches in the fight which is evident by the damage on Wards face, he was also the champion, and not just any champion a dominant champion that has defended his belts several times, everyone knows you have to really beat the champ to take his belts, so by every measurable criteria Kovalev should have won that fight, yet three American judges gave Ward the victory over a Russian fighter. This wasn't a robbery in the sense that Kovalev completely dominated and still lost, but this was a robbery in the sense that Kovalev won in every aspect of the fight and was the champ yet still lost to the hometown boy when I think most people agree he shouldn't have, this really pisses me off and to all those defending this decision just know it's decisions like this that are leading to the rapid decline of boxing, ,in 2016 the biggest boxing ppv was 600 thousand buys, in comparison the UFC sold 1.65 million, 1.6 million, and 1.2 million, boxing is dying fast it's sad because i'm a boxer but soon most kids will be training in mma not boxing, there will be no knew talent and the sport will die completely.

>Yes goyim, trust the judges, they have your best interests at heart!

When did i say that? My sentiments are closer to "there are no wrong decisions, only bad ones".

>If he landed less punches, he landed less punches

Do you know what effective aggressiveness means?

>Look at the state of his face compared to Kovalev's

Again, there's a reason you don't score boxing on "look at his face". He did that in the first half of the fight but didn't compound it in the second, whereas Kovalev got a bad nosebleed in the second half of the fight.

>Kovalev still landed shots he had no business landing, especially straight jabs down the pipe

That's why i said for the most part, Kovalev had better success landing than i expected. Ward winding up the bolo and getting hit square in the face was embarrassing.

>Circling on the outside, constantly stepping out of range, clinching and moving backwards isn't ring generalship

Ward was fighting on his own terms at his own pace, that's ring generalship to me. But, ring generalship is also pretty subjective.

>It's not controlling your opponent, it's coping with them, there's a huge difference

And Kovalev couldn't find an answer to Ward's strategy.

>It's like whenever Lara jogs around the ring for 12, 'he was fighting his kind of fight doe!', no, he's coping and survivng with the threat in front of him

I'd be inclined to agree if you said Rigo instead of Lara because he does run too much imo, but if the man they're facing can't handle it then he's not winning the fight i think. Lara beat Canelo.

>this idea that Ward was some kind of snake-charmer is a complete falsehood

You're right, good thing i didn't say that.

>a vital one which changes the face of the division and the boxing landscape

There have been worse decisions with bigger implications for the sport and for a boxers career (like Pacquiao-Bradley). In all likelihood there will be a Kovalev-Ward II, same as there would've been had Kovalev got the decision.

This 100%.

>Kovalev got a knockdown, so that would mean Ward would have to win 8 rounds to get that score

No, you monumental retard.

Ward is no Mayweather but to assume pressure alone is his kryptonite is a stretch. Fighters are at their most vulnerable while they're throwing punches. Kovalev was visibly tired and frustrated by the championship rounds. More pressure would exacerbate that.

sorry I fucked up I meant 7 rounds, either way everything I said remains valid.

Say what you want about the results, but I look forward to a rematch and I'm happy that Sup Forums is taking about boxing for once. It was a great close entertaining fight. Boxing needs note fights like this.

More*

>Ward won by 1 point on the scorecards right?
>So that means he won 7 rounds and Kovalev won 5 right?

This is also incorrect, 7 rounds to 5 is 115-113 barring knockdowns.

id let joe rogan hold me down, and cum in my ass. maybe let him bite the fuck out of me while he does it.

>wtf I hate niggers now

this result was bad for boxing not only has it left a sour taste in casuals mouths further turning them off the sport and pushing them towards mma, which may/pac already did majorly, but it has no doubt further encouraged boxers to duck each other and avoid fighting the best in their devisions, I mean would you put your whole career on the line risk your belts and your record if you thought poor judging could steal a win from you and ruin it all in a close fight, and then to make it worse the boring fighter prevailed over the entertaining fighter further driving the casuals away, nah overall this is another major blow to boxing.

>When did i say that? My sentiments are closer to "there are no wrong decisions, only bad ones".
There's bad decisions and then there is corruption. What a coincidence two well-funded Roc Nation fighters both received gift decisions back to back.
>Do you know what effective aggressiveness means?
Kovalev landed more punches throughout the fight. They did regular physical and mental damage to Ward. Ward was repeatedly backed up taking jabs and put out of rhythm. If one fighter has a ratio of 5% and another 50%, but that 5% fighter still lands more punches that are effective and come with aggressive intent, that's winning.
>Ward was fighting on his own terms at his own pace, that's ring generalship to me.
Coping and negating a threat doesn't mean you're controlling the fight. Survival isn't control, Ward was regularly getting backed up, taking shots in exchanges, clinching and circling out under duress. This wasn't Ward-Froch where Ward actively used infighting and clinching to expose Froch's technical fragilities, he was clinching to avoid onslaught.
>I'd be inclined to agree if you said Rigo instead of Lara because he does run too much imo, but if the man they're facing can't handle it then he's not winning the fight i think. Lara beat Canelo.
I agree, but Lara won that fight because he landed counter left hands. Not because he circled out and had Canelo chasing him for 12.
>In all likelihood there will be a Kovalev-Ward II, same as there would've been had Kovalev got the decision.
Needs to happen, I can't wait. But the consensus opinion was this was a robbery. Why should I stay up at 5AM to watch this again? It may end up not damaging Ward or Kovalev's career path, but it damaged my trust in boxing's competence once again.

I already reached this conclusion due to the abomination known as Floyd Mayweather Jr. It appears Ward will be following in his footsteps as the new, most obnoxious front man in boxing. Piece of shit.

ya 7-5 then add in the knockdown.

tl;dr

Where the fuck did all these boxing experts come from? Certainly never see them in the regular boxing matchthreads that get under 100 posts each lmao

casual central in here m8. Pretty amusing

there are 43 people posting in this thread, jesus didn't know boxing was so dead that 43 experts is a big

Really makes you think...