I have to declare my major soon. Is aerospace engineering a meme? That's what I really want to do...

I have to declare my major soon. Is aerospace engineering a meme? That's what I really want to do, but some people tell me the job market is not that great and companies end up hiring mech e's anyway. Should I do mech instead? Minor in aerospace?

>going to university before you know what you're going to study
You're fucked. Go for something you'll A) Enjoy and B) actually get a decent job in. Enjoy your debt, probably should've gotten an apprenticeship.

This fucking "aprenticeship" meme again. Fuck me for wanting high level learning instead of training how to weld two pieces of steel together. A monkey could do that.

any engineering degree is going to better than most others. an Aerospace degree is a little more limited than a Mech E but its a good degree.

>Fuck me for wanting a paper with "good job you did it champ" written on it

Fixed that for you.

You don't get to work with rockets without such a paper. I want to work with rockets. What else am I supposed to do?

Remember this with aerospace

When I was studying it. They kept saying. All the people in the job atm are baby boomers. Next decade they will almost all be retired

Aerospace is a niche degree that is highly regarded by a few large companies and the government. If you don't plan to work for boeing, Lockheed or at an air force base mech e is a better route.

You can get the same exact jobs minus maybe like lift design (wings).

I've been in industry for awhile and see a lot of aerospace guys end up in mechanical design positions. There are just a lot less pure aerospace jobs than what the college will tell you.

if that's what you want do it, it's important to make money, but it's more important to do what you enjoy

Any engineering will be good as long as you live in an area with engineering companies around. If in the US, just make sure your degree is ABET accredited, and not just in "engineering tech" which is pretty much useless.

That girl on the right is T H I C C

Do mechanical engineering. you can still build rockets with that degree because most degrees within the same field overlap.

For example I have a biochemistry degree but i work as an analytical chemist.

They're fairly related degrees, with quite a bit of crossover, right? What's stopping you from simply getting both degrees then doing whatever the fuck you want?

Seems like a gigantic waste of time and money to get BOTH degrees

Yea she's fucking outrageous. We sure didn't have girls like that when I was in high school.

I'd gladly work for Boeing or Lockheed, if they'd take me. I'd be gine working with planes but what I really want to do is more orbit/space oriented, and I feel a mech degree would not be as useful for for that. Am I wrong?

>t. went to trade school

Hey man, if you don't think you're smart enough to double major then stick to easy street. Having both would look a lot more impressive on a resume though.

Does anyone have Moar of her?

You can get a job, but only if you're willing to travel.
I have a cousin who specialized in ceramic engineering then spent his 20s with his parents because he didn't want to leave the area.

Double-majoring seems like a tremendous amount of work which might cause my grades to drop. I'd rather ace a single major

Anyway, into the main topic...how about computer engineering?

The thing about aerospace is that there are only a small handful of companies that hire that. Boeing, Lockheed, Virgin, and NASA are like 90% of them, and you better be top of your class if you want on there.

I'd say EE is a better alternative but I'm still fucking unemployed so don't listen to me.

That being said I have friends with aero, EE, comp sci, and mechE who have all been unemployed for years so it's probably just hopeless.

>he thinks grades matter in the real world

Yup, money doesn't mean shit if you hate going to work every day.

I'd be willing to move around the US, or even abroad, if it's a country I like. Does Europe have a good space program?

Specialized engineering is a meme period. Take Mech and do your best to find internships that are related to aerospace. Mech is just as good a piece of paper to get you that job as aero; what you really need is work experience in that field.

>implying grades don't reflect your understanding of a subject
???

>he thinks your resume doesn't go straight in the trash with a GPA under 3.0 when applying for your first job

How the fuck can they be unemployed with comp sci and mech degrees? Were they C students? Shitty school?

I have the same dilema i'm 3/4ths of way way done with community college due to transfer to a university and i have no idea what i want to major in and i gotta figure it out basically now lol. I want a job but i also don't want to sacrifice my soul for a super stem degree like mathematics so idk breh. I was originally gunna do comp sci but i've decided its no bueno for me.

In all reality an aerospace undergrad vs a mechanical undergrad is pretty much the same.

The degrees would really begin to differ at the graduate level. More specialized classes for aero would be like aero structure or propulsion. Mech e would be advanced machine theory for example.

If you want to work with rockets imo you'll need a graduate degree at least. You can find entry level positions in design but for any specialized job, like propulsion, the company will probably want a graduate degree. Some of those specialized jobs are very competitive and there just aren't a lot of them available.

I has a ME degree. Wanted an AE but was afraid of job market. Now working in aviation making good money. Don't regret my decision.

The comp sci guy hasn't been applying, I think. He had great grades at a great school.

The mech E had good grades at a moderate/okay school. I know she's been applying so idfk. You'd think companies would want to boost their female employment rate if nothing else.

Op engineering major here, think about what most people and companies want. Like electronics, machines, chemical substances, petroleum products(in some very high spending cases ie. Pharma & oil). These are demanding fields and are still growing decently or fast in the job market aka 10%-20% projected labor market increases. Or in the case of any piece of tech who can make the programs, design, and write them. Possibly more

You should look into:
Electrical Engineering
Mechanical Engineering
Chemical Engineering
Petroleum Engineering
Computer/Software Engineering

You get pretty good pay no matter the field but be weary of aerospace, environmental, and civil. They are typically flooded being considered the easier of the fields.

Now you can still minor in aerospace and try to invent thing or set it aside if you really love it. But take a look into what I said and by the way they say environmental and civil are always growing. But these are 9 times out of 10, Government paid positions. Which means they aren't worth their weight in shit (although civil is def more emportant). If you want the big buck go for the 4 listed