Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=yYCz06bS380&t
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

What kind of music do you make user

hey that's just like me, I'm 24 and I just released a successful EP

And I thought at fifteen that I'd have it down by sixteen
And twenty-four keeps breathing in my face

Never too late, but better get the fuck on it

But I think a time frame is important, for example 27 is good cut off age because thats when most musicians peak or kill themselves

I'm 22 and just finished Uni, got a great paying job, no debt, and feel like killing myself everyday

Then I started playing and making music and it feels so damn good, will continue making music because it makes me feel like a teenager again and not some brown nosed yuppie that I am currently

So, its not too late, just get on it BOY

how did you get into making music? did you know any instruments? any music knowledge? help me user, i dont want to commit suicide

>Dreaming of becoming a successful musician instead of just trying to make the kind of music you want to see more of

>successful
What do you mean?
Who is successful? Do you want to get recognized on the street?

I'm in my early 20s making music too, but hey, I just want to create good works that I can stand by. I figure there's always people out there who'll get it when they hear it, and there's always more people out there than you'd expect.

What this guy said

I think you're just too stuck in your own head with bad motivations. Life isn't just about the approval of others.

Malkmus didn't release Slanted and Enchanted until he was 25. Crooked Rain was their break, and he was 27 when that was playing on college radio.

If you're in something good, it should take you on average, about a year or two to build a scene and get signed. 24 isn't a bad spot.

Then again, Malkmus has always been kind of babyfaced. It's not so much age, as how you look. At least if you're the frontman.

If you're not, as long as you have a young looking singer or whatevs, you can get by. Look at Phil Selway, dude was balding through Pablo and The Bends. But no one cared because they stuck him in the back, and they had Ed O'Brien, and Yorke's look worked for the band image.

where do you live? get involved with your local music scene. the montreal metal scene here is flourishing if thats your kind of music. i know four people in punk rock bands as well.

try not to worry about being "succesful" and instead just play for fun and because you enjoy making music with friends. everything else is secondary

All I want in life is to become famous enough to get laid regularly

Immediate thought

>brian wilson wrote and recorded pet sounds at 23
>tfw 23

>caring about success that much

Yes it would be cool if making music was the only job I had to do and if I had a fuckload of money from it, but still I love making music so much that I would even pay money just so I can do it forever.
Making music is my only release in life, I couldn't live without it.

>leonard cohen started doing music at 33
>michael gira made STFTB at 43
>nick cave released The Good Son at 33
If you complain about shit and do nothing it's your own fault

Even then, looks aren't everything. Look at Pixies. They never looked like One Direction, even in their younger days. Frank Black was bald and fat when they were getting big. You could argue that young Kim Deal was cute, and that helped, but she wasn't Katy Perry.

If you're good and you have the will, you can make it in music. It gets harder as you get older, but it's not impossible. But you have to REALLY be good.

And in general, it's a lot of luck.

Only reason to become a musician.

This, it is tougher though when you're older due to social pressures and an increased appetite for steady pay and relationships, those dudes are outliers

youtube.com/watch?v=yYCz06bS380&t

Wasn't Chuck Berry about 28 when he started making tunes?

give it a shot because why not

Leonard Cohen was almost 40 when Songs of Leonard Cohen came out

>"Ain't no question if I want it
I need it.
>I can feel it slowly slippin' away from me."