What specifically should I study on guitar in order to be able to write songs like Nick Drake...

What specifically should I study on guitar in order to be able to write songs like Nick Drake, Jackson C Frank or Elliott Smith?

GWAR tabs.

All you need to know.

Elaborate please. What's the basic gist of GWAR tabs and what will learning them teach me?

This user knows his shit. +1 for knowledge

>what will learning them teach me?
Everything

At least tell me what GWAR is. Google isn't telling me shit.

Nigga if you can't find GWAR on google you aren't trying very hard. It's a band.

Use Nick Drake tuning if you want a rich sounding chord

Are you talking about this shitty metal band?

Learn how to play rhythms you hear in your head. Experiment with tuning, Nick Drake rarely ever played in standard, drop D, down, or up.

Two common tunings for Pink Moon were BEBEBE for cluster chords and DADGDF#

>GWAR
>shitty metal band
Now might be a good time to start considering killing yourself.

ignore this idiot he doesnt know what hes talking about

>Let me recommend a metal band to a guy asking about folk artists despite their songwriting being nothing at all like said folk artists. I'll then get mad if anyone points out how retarded this is.

ur so fucking dumb

The skills learned from playing GWAR will teach you the technique for playing all forms of music.

Ok

Songwriting combines musical composition and poetry, you need to master both, and most people don't have it in them no matter how much they learn. Learning guitar things isn't going to help much, probably.

10/10 thread boys

I've got the poetry part down, I've been writing since I was 7. I'm clueless when it comes to music composition, though. How can I expand on that?

GWAR

Get really good at finger picking and try alternative tuning if you want to even get close to what nick drake was doing

ii V I

literally all you need to know

Learn some music theory to learn how to write songs and analize how they wrote their songs. Analyzing songs is not hard if you know some theory.

Fuck off

Classical guitar, and JustinGuitar's folk fingerstyle module

Study their songs
See what chords changes they use a lot, uncommon chords, song structures etc. and learn how to work them into your own songs

I recommend learning some classical guitar. It would help to learn their songs too, but that's pretty obvious.

Depends on how you learn best. If you're after formal education, you had best look to enroll in a class of some sort, or find a tutor. Alternatively there are a shit ton of books on music theory and so forth.

Still, if you're more of the person who has always done their own thing and learned by doing, there isn't really a substitute for doing it and fucking it up over and over until you get good.