Chess WC - Carlsen - Karjakin game 7

Game 7 thread. Will we finally get a decisive game?

>inb4 another Ruy Lopez drawfest

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=_hdtl2xo0FY
chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/carlsen-karjakin-world-chess-championship-2016/1/1/7
youtube.com/watch?v=UuehyRf88ac
anyforums.com/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Is there any stream of the players?

hi

based Jan commentating

You mean actual video of the players? Not that I know of.

Chess24.com has the moves plus commentary.

Also: we have a slav game.

>its another semen slurping episode

let's take the queens off lmao

CR7 chess ballon d'or when?

>a slav game

jan gustafson btfos sp shit stains
>are you going to tell these kids how kasparov and karpov played 300 draws in a row

>RKacnapob

Yeah that's what it's called after 1. d4 d5 2. c4 c6

5...dxc4 seems like a drawish line

But, the Chebanenko Slav can be surprisingly dynamic. And the fact that Magnus just played 16...Rc8 seems to indicate that he's playing for dynamic play rather than just playing for a draw.

haha the dumb slav going to lose to slav game

They're getting all the pieces off ASAP. Draw imminent.

A1, Karyakin! A fucking 1!!!!!!

If he immediately takes on a1 he's down an exchange. He needs to take on b4 or c8 first to keep material even.

>zzzzzzzzzzzzzz
Well at least these all of the matches weren't Berlin lmao

>karjakin
>white

If he takes on a1, he takes the advantage in possition as he loses the same figures and will attack two rooks at a got.

What if draw was worth .6 for black and .4 for white? Would that discourage Karjakin-style drawplay?

> as he loses the same figures and will attack two rooks at a got.
I'm sorry what?

You gotta hand it to Magnus, he's actually been playing dynamically and diverse openings (as white he's played the Trompowsky, the Spanish and the Italian, and as black he played the Chebanenko Slav). He just played unusually badly in the late middlegame in two of the games, and thus was unable to convert his advantage.

how much attention is the match/Karjakin getting in Russia?

>carjacking

Kek, if Karjakin doesn't get this win, he will lose the championship.

>how much attention is the match/Karjakin getting in Russia?
Very much for those who care. Others just will read news tomorrow for sure.

That wouldn't work all that well in a match. It would only work in tournaments.

Maybe these two just want to draw the game early and go Christmas shopping.

is chess still part of Russian school curriculum, as it was during Soviet times?

who else here is basically shit at chess but likes listening to svidler and the other guy?

chess needs some new rules added to it, to make it a more decisive game

with 2 top players, it's only about who blunders and lose a game, until then they can always go for a draw

Svidler is a GOAT commentator

Yea, Magnus always tries to go for the win but he hasn't been really playing like most of us expected of him to, so we get these games instead.

No. But in every hood there's a chess school or a chess class.

spell cards

Chessboxing.

Rooks are going to come off soon. Queenside pawns will be locked due to the OB and no one will be able to break through on the kingside since it's completely symmetrical. Draw agreed by move 30.

I don't mind draws per se, game 3 and 4 were very exiting, but this trading everything into an OB ending ASAP is boring.

How do I watch?

I am thinking of somehow making it more easy to get a passed pawn.

youtube.com/watch?v=_hdtl2xo0FY

now that the mind body dualism is dead is an chess player a athlete?

chess24.com/en/watch/live-tournaments/carlsen-karjakin-world-chess-championship-2016/1/1/7

Give every GM a chance to pick a GM power they can invoke every time their GM gauge is filled. You gain GM gauge by making moves, winning or losing pieces.
You can have GM powers like the ability for your pawn to move three spaces through any enemy pieces for one turn.

Multiking

Ties are broken by Greco-Roman wrestling

The WC match is a bit different because everyone is incredibly careful. In a normal super-GM tournament there are plenty of wins.

E.g. in the Sinquefield Cup this year there were 13 wins out of 45 matches.

lmao programmer didn't know chess rules

I literally never watched chess and haven't playec hess in the past 15 years but this Gustafsson and Svidler guy are funny af.

OMG these guys are funny.

>Jan Gustafsson

Kek, top banter

>Karjakin going for a safe draw

Wow, who would have thought about that....

is it even worth it watching games where carlsen isnt white?

>Karjakin

What is he trying to achieve?

Does he think that getting draws wins him the title at the end?

I honestly don't understand why he does this. Does he honestly think he has no chance?
Game drawn btw.

this desu, how does Karjakin not at least break Carlsen's balls for a few hours in that endgame

maybe he's in it just for a few ELO points, he's gained 7.7 so far

he has always gone for draw if he doesn't see a victory ahead, never really a risky player. very safe. his opening move was the least boring thing of this game.

>tfw paid 15 bucks for this

It could be if he were playing against someone like Aronian instead of Carjacking.

i wouldnt have minded to see kariakin draw out the game a little bit and try a few things

it'll be worth it if it reaches a sudden death game

Some people in NY paid $1 per minute to see this shit today.
It should have been Caruana or Giri. Giri is drawish too but at least he can get under Carlsen's skin

What if the sudden death game ends in a draw

Literally not sports

Tie break is:
4 rapid games
if necessary 4 blitz games
if necessary one Armageddon game where white has 5m, black has 4m but black wins if the game ends in a draw
>The world chess champion could potentially be decided by a fucking armageddon game
Who the fuck at FIDE thought this was a good idea?

i wanna see karjakin meme his way into the armageddon game and draw as black

>a world chess championship match with Giri
oh god the horror

Caruana would have been good though

then black wins the championship

this means no semen-slurping; white HAS to play ambitiously and try to win, he cannot settle for a draw. A coinflip is used to decide who plays white and who plays black.

>Who the fuck at FIDE thought this was a good idea?
It's not at all ideal, but past experiences have shown it might just be the best we can do. I mean it's either that, or endless matches like Karpov-Kasparov 1984, or tournaments without actual matches like FIDE tried in 2007 (which doesn't have any of the hype or romanticism of an actual match, and can still be a total clusterfuck with tiebreaks).

Tendies will be thrown if this happens.

that would trigger me to death

I can't imagine how bad Carlsen would feel about himself if that happened. It'd definitely go in the history books, right up there with Alekhine's upset over Capablanca in the 1927 World Championship, which forever stained Capablanca's career (which is a shame because Capablanca was a fucking GOD who had a very big impact on the game of chess and who is without doubt among the best chess players in the entire history of the game).

>among the best chess players in the entire history of the game
>lose to a drunk russian who then proceeds to troll him for several years

we live in the worst timeline

>oh god the horror
I agree. I just brought him up because I think he's one of the few people who could beat Carlsen head to head.>I can't imagine how bad Carlsen would feel about himself if that happened.
He might very well quit chess forever.

Carlsen is good at blitz too though:

youtube.com/watch?v=UuehyRf88ac

They both are. Karjakin is something like #3 in blitz and rapid.

IIRC he's #3 in rapid and #10 in blitz

Magnus is #1 in rapid and currently #2 in blitz (only 2 rating points behind Ding Liren). However, Magnus is also the current World Champion of both rapid and blitz.

He's the current World Champion of regular chess but that's not working for him so far.

I looked it up and you're right. He's #3rapid and #11 blitz. I'd give Carlsen better chances if it comes to any of those since arguably home preparation matters a lot less in those formats, but still, blitz is a fucking lottery and I'd lose my shit if Carlsen loses his world title in classical chess over this bullshit.

The thing is, Carlsen has established himself as a clear world #1 since something like 2012/2013. No one comes close to him in rating. Everyone thought him a worthy challenger to Vishy and while it was a good match, I don't think anyone was truly surprised when Carlsen came out on top.

Since then, he's only distanced himself from the rest of the field. The rating difference to #2 more often than not is over 50 points and what's more, there is no clear #2. There's a group of about 10 super-GMs, all about equal in skill, who alternate the ranks. Sure, Karjakin is one of them but he isn't the leader of the pack, the 'best of the rest'. Caruana is the closest thing to it, but even he takes a dive every now and then. If Karjakin wins this, he would be the world champion but if someone asked 'who is the best chess player in the world?' that would still be Magnus. If he wins it through tiebreaks, it would honestly be damaging to the institution of Chess World Champion.

I myself am in favor of a match of fixed length (12 or 24 or whatever) where the current world champion retains the title in case of a draw. The title in classical chess should not be decided by anything else than classical chess.

>I myself am in favor of a match of fixed length (12 or 24 or whatever) where the current world champion retains the title in case of a draw.
That just encourages the titleholder to play for draws.

That's true but imo that's preferable to the classical WCC being decided by blitz.
The third option is first to x wins but then the drawback is the risk of an endless match like in '84.

is that really worse than having the entire thing decided by some blitz games (or even worse, sudden death)? I mean just look at the blitz game which Magnus lost to Kosteniuk (a "literally who" player who thinks having a vagina is a special accomplishment) several years ago. Magnus had a clearly winning position, but just played too fast and so moved the wrong rook. He immediatly saw it, but it was too late seeing as he had already touched the other rook. These things can happen way too easily in blitz, and simply don't reflect actual strength of chess players.

Also, the titleholder will play for draws, but the challenger will be forced to actually try something at least. In this current match, the challenger isn't even trying, he's also playing for draws and is clearly hoping to just get lucky in rapid/blitz games.

I guess I'd have to agree, it avoids all of the negative points which I discussed earlier with other formats. There are still obvious downsides, but it's probably the best format.

if messi played cr7 in chess, who would win?

an horse

is an horse an chess player?