So I rotated my tires on my car today. No way I didnt put the tire back on properly right...

So I rotated my tires on my car today. No way I didnt put the tire back on properly right? If I didnt I would definitely be able to tell before anything happened... right?

R.I.P

Just drive for a few miles pull over and try to tighten the bolts, not like super tight but just tight. That's about it.

How do you put a tire on wrong?

>not posting on /o/
>fucking up a below basic job
Torque spec for each lug is 100

I drove around the block and then tightened them a bit

Well tbh I dont ever do this sort of thing. And I didnt really have much in the way of tools. I only had one jack and it barely lifted the car off the ground enough to take the tires off and I had a little issue getting the tires back up against the rotors so i could screw the nuts back in. Felt like it was driving a little weird, but it could all be in my head.

Why'd you rotate if you don't know what you're doing? Hope your tyres are facing the right way if they're directional.

Its always sad when a father doesn't bother to teach his son basic skills.

They arent directional I dont think. If they are they have arrows on them right?

Tbh my father passed away when I was really young soo....

OP is lucky he got to rotate his tires. I tried to rotate mine today, fucking nuts were in there so tight that I ended up rounding one and just having to give up.

Look for arrows on the sidewall or look at the pattern on the tread. From the front, a directional tread should make a 'V' shape when viewed from the front of the car. An upside down 'V' means it's backwards.

Go to Harbor Freight and get a torque wrench, $20. That help in not warping your rotors, too.

Only Chrysler products have lug nuts that are different on each side, unless FCA has changed that.

just take it to a shop, they have air wrenches with (spline?) sockets that bite into stripped bolts. Should be cheap/ free

I would, but the tires are old and cracked so no tire shops want to touch it. Gotta wait until payday to get a new set.

>Torque spec for each lug is 100
for most cars
jap cars are usually 80
trucks/suvs are 120/140
and some random cars are above 100

it says on each tire.

if you drive in a straight line and let go of the wheel for a few seconds, the car should continue going straight.

if it does not, then you messed it up.
tighten the bolts after 1 month of driving

This isnt really that important is it? I have always just tightened lugs by hand with a 4-way

With 5 bolts there ain't much that could happen actually 1 or 2 is enough if U have lost or broken the rest the other bolts is just extra safety, trust me I live in the country and have done this myself if the car is shaking while U are driving try tak7ng the weel of and put it on again and make sure its straigt on

over tightening one, or maybe two bolt/nuts could lead to warped rotors over time. I always torque my nuts. huehuehue

You need to take them to a garage to be tracked otherwise they'll go bald very fast

torque specs are mainly for shops so they have proof they tightened the lugs to what the manufacturer specified
just get the tight with a longer handled ratchet and youll be fine

Thats what I am worried about. It not being straight. If I tightened all 5 what are the chances its not on straight?

>If I tightened all 5 what are the chances its not on straight?

zero.
look at the pic you posted. see that round, rusty metal thing the 5 bolt holes are in? that's the hub.
your wheels have a cutout in them that fits snugly over that hub. if you tightened your bolts then the hub is in the wheel and the wheel is on there straight.

sorry bout your dad.

I can see where you went wrong OP, you should have been fucking about with TYRES not tires.

go be poor somewhere else

Depends on the car
Know what they're talking about
I've seen wheels come off because someone didn't torque them properly. I've seen wheels destroyed because someone kept tightening and tightening and it wasn't getting any tighter, the result was the tapered lugnut was digging into the wheel and stretching the holes for the studs. I've seen studs broken and stripped and warped rotors.

Tl;dr use a torque wrench with proper spec.

bro pawn something that is not safe you could hurt yourself or others

Changing tires is one of the most trivial things. It's just loosen bolts, change, and tighten. But you need to make sure they're beyond tightened. If you're that worried go to a mechanic.