en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_Major_League_Soccer
nytimes.com/2016/11/21/sports/jurgen-klinsmann-national-team.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

FIRST for
>you know who

I have season tickets la'

yes, its povertyball.

>Soon

A lot of cities don't have time though. The MLS is currently at 20 teams, with 4 more confirmed. Garber has said before it want's to go up to maybe 28, but has also said that 30 is too much.

So with potentially 4 spots left, the main candidates are St. Louis (all but confirmed if the rumors are true), Sacramento (Garber said he want's this city in), and 2 more.

Detroit's going up against San Antonio, San Diego, Austin, and Cincinnati. So I don't really think they have time to wait for a USL spot. They may need to jump straight up.

Garbux isnt the king of MLS hes just an owners puppet shill, i dont see why they dont want 32 teams like NFL (besides length of schedule)

>san diego

oh god no more cali teams, we still have LAFC coming

by "need"

i mean i want a local team :^^^^^))))

>Austin
No.

It's literally in the contract for San Antonio's USL team and stadium lease that they get a MLS team in the next few years. They're the bigger city anyway.

Both of the Sans cities wont get one.

Cincinatti is probably 100% going to get in

So its Detroit vs Austin

Talent. How is MLS supposed to become a top league if the talent gets stretched even further across 32 teams?

This isn't the NFL or NBA, not enough good players play this sport to have a 32 team league

>in the contract

its the plan but that doesnt mean they signed with MLS to become confirmed. They still have to fight for it

>Talent
OH SHIT, IF ONLY THERE WASN'T SUCH A SHORTAGE OF SOCCER TALENT IN THE WORLD

Also Garber's twitter handle is literally @soccerdon, I feel like this has a double meaning.

Yes, but I've heard zero chatter about Austin AT ALL so not sure where user is getting that from.

>nobody wants another team in cali
>sac would actually cover a new market, meanwhile LA gets two teams

It's not fair ;_;

>people actually discussing about their precarious ponzi scheme

NASL will win the long game

still want you in the league cowtown bro.

t. lags fag

i think he mean Domestic talent

I don't see the league getting rid of the foreign player limits though, the core of the teams is always going to be made of Americans

>Not fair
NY and LA are special, we don't have to like it, but it's the facts.

Chicago someone got in on that action too (two MLB teams) but overall, we should aspire and not envy.

>soon
Wikipedia
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expansion_of_Major_League_Soccer
bad post

>4 spots left
Sacremento
St Louis
Cincinatti
Detroit vs SA

its most likely gonna be SA but DCFC should get bumped up to USL

There's a chance Miami could fall through.

Has there been any word as to if USL is officially Div 2? Weren't they talking about it in July?

>"The 80's NASL is a sound investment" they said
I'm guessing not.

Doesn't make a lot of sense. That means NASL goes up to their rightful D1 which makes sense but the moving MLELS to D3 would upset a lot of the franchise customers.

rip in piss turkbro

So, who are >we bringing in phams?

This offseason is taking forever to start already, fucking playoffs,

>it's snowing in Toronto
Can't wait for the playoff games here :^)

>Pro/rel shills are excited about tomorrow

What's happening tomorrow?

I think Lalas said something about some report financed by that Miami FC owner
I'm sure it's impartial

Shills? We just want to see a league where our local teams can actually have a shot at getting into the top division, like literally every other league in the world that's taken seriously

You don't deserve a shot
No one deserves anything
It's just a fucking sport

>Soon

Soccer isn't popular enough for something like that to happen yet

Awwwww shit yeah, somebody saved this
I lost the original when my phone died

>Klinsmann answering questions on Facebook

He wouldn't do this right now if he didn't know his job was secure

He would have been fired by now
Fucking Gulati

If he's not fired by tomorrow, he won't be until we end up failing the Hex somehow

literally WHO here /glory/?

>perf

P E R F
E
R
F

Someone fucking redpill me on AYY LMAO

Did he die or just get tired of the autism here?

Might be in jail

nytimes.com/2016/11/21/sports/jurgen-klinsmann-national-team.html

>“I’m not afraid,” Klinsmann said. “What you need to do is stick to the facts. Soccer is emotional and a lot of people make conclusions without knowing anything about the inside of the team or the sport. I still believe we will get the points we need to qualify, and I am even confident we could win the group.”
>“The fact is, we lost two games. There is a lot of talk from people who don’t understand soccer or the team.”

His defense is basically
>that post
>that flag

I think MLS needs two things for me to take it seriously.

1. Way better refs. PRO fucks it up to the point that I can't take the results seriously.
2. Pro/Rel. I'm a crew fan and realize they would have been relegated. However, I realize they are shit and should be playing against fucking Chattanooga. I'd still watch. Am I the only one?

Was Tinfoil Ted right all along or am I losing my mind?

The concept of pro/rel is nice, but with the current structure of MLS it's not going to happen. Owners who paid $100 million to own a *first division* team would never agree to be relegated.

Maybe if MLS becomes hyper profitable at some point, they could refund part or all of the expansion fees and make pro/rel more palatable.

>for me
I should stop there, but I'll continue
You don't understand the purpose of pro sports
It's built around money, not the sport
Even if the owners weren't greedy, they'd still need money to pay the players, invest in youth, etc.
Forcing pro/rel now would collapse the whole system

And all refs suck. That's a basic fact

The training wheels need to come off at some point, but we're not there yet

>Forcing pro/rel now would collapse the whole system
No it wouldn't, Garber.

Why does pro rel work in every other country then? Including countries that are way smaller than us and therefore have less income for their sports teams?

Ted get off

More ingrained
Interest in the Fire would go down probably 90% if they went to the NASL
Either the team matters just the same despite the division or the team is so small that difference there's not that much money to be lost
Of course lower division teams all across the world fail
It shouldn't be surprising

I don't think the teams go bust upon relegation. Minor league baseball gets good attendances despite being a lower league and they play a longer season. Lower league teams right now can generate enough interest to stay afloat, it has more to do with how much local competition there is and not how good the team is

That's how 4th tier teams can still get attendances, because they're the only option in town most times

MLS's tv contract is much, much, much bigger than the NASL's

Also with baseball there's another sport which is ingrained into society

he got erdogan'd

FIGHT

Because in all of those countries, soccer is probably no worse than the second-most popular sport

Daily reminder that this is happening sooner than you think

>Of course lower division teams all across the world fail
Yes, but they have a deep pyramid to fall down before things get dire
We don't even have three proper divisions

This is Miami/Beckham's replacement if they can't get their shit together, calling it right now

>if Miami doesn't work out, let's go with Cincinnati

Said NO ONE, EVER

No
Team in lower divisions collapse

Miami is a terrible sports town and is merely a vanity project for over-the-hill stars to retire to.

Once MLS becomes a top league, we won't need that anymore. It's not like Manchester or Birmingham are really desirable places to live.

>Once MLS becomes a top league
Not even the NASL shill, and I lol'd

You guys and Sac deserve it way more than say, Miami or San Diego. It's not easy to get 10k, let alone 20k people to come watch lower league soccer.

Not all of them collapse

>deserve

Some fail despite being ingrained in the community
That's not true about soccer anywhere

>for over-the-hill stars to retire to.
This is a meme started by Lebron, and he's the only person to ever actually do this.

The Heat ownership is moronic, as proven by the last 20 years of that terrible team. But the real estate's good, enough to attract Lebron and I guess Shaq if we're counting that. Marlins have proven teams in the area can win if you don't just have arrogant owners who only care about status and not wins.

anywhere here that is

It's my hope that one day we become "top" enough where we aren't reliant on 35 year old retirees, and we can at least compete for the type of talent that is going to second tier leagues like the Dutch, Belgian, and non-PSG French leagues.

>large season-ticket base
>locally relevant

>somehow not deserving

That's not how this shit works
Sacramento and Cincinnati aren't necessarily that attractive markets nor do they have big owners willing to chunk $100 million right now

Do you guys think MLS will become the biggest and best league in pic related?

I think they should worry about that b4 europe

We have to get better period

>Sacramento and Cincinnati aren't necessarily that attractive markets
I'll give you this. But MLS put teams in Columbus and Salt Lake City, so it's not like it would be anything new.

>nor do they have big owners willing to chunk $100 million right now
But they do. It just seems that it takes more than that to appease the whims of Don Garber.

>Who is Charles Lindner

At the time they was just desperate for any market
They can be more selective now

>biggest and best league
It's hard to tell unless >we start taking CCL seriously

Once we start winning CCL regularly, maybe we can start thinking about Libertadores.

Both are a waste of time

Columbus is one of the Original 10, and back then they put a team anywhere they could fucking manage it

Salt Lake is actually a really good choice since they're relatively sports-deprived for a city their size (just the Jazz and minor league baseball, as far as I'm aware)

>muh domestic league only
Nah fuck you

Sure. But the target markets should at least have some sort of demonstrated interest in soccer.

San Diego doesn't have a single team higher than NPSL, and I could find exactly one blurb about a potential ownership group getting together.

Honestly, it should be a requirement to run a USL team for a year or two before trying to get into MLS.

Fuck off

>Libertadores
How about "no"

What, CCL is about as relevant as the Asian Champions League.

We'll be mickey mouse until our teams can hold their own in serious international competition, not some shitty tournament filled with impoverished farmers

>>Honestly, it should be a requirement to run a USL team for a year or two before trying to get into MLS

THIS

The CCL's schedule conflicts with ours, the teams are shit and likely to inflict bodily harm, and the travel is too much
Libertadores has better teams but the schedule and travel are even worse
And no one here cares about either

London is 1,000 miles closer to my location than Buenos Aires and I live in a southern location

>no costa rica posts

oh fuck. damn. hes been gone since before the coup :(

We miss you turkbro

Beckham's contract included an option to own a team
Say whatever you want about it, his coming here helped solidify MLS's future and he deserves a soccer team
And do you honestly believer he'd put it somewhere other than Miami?

It included the right to pay a reduced expansion fee if his bid is accepted. If he can't get his stadium plan together, then there's no bid.

Also,
>deserves

hi :)

They have real fucking soccer

>Beckham owning a team

There's no way this turns out any different than Jordan owning the Hornets.

not for the foreseeable future. but that's ok, we can bide our time, let's just not start from zero again I think is the important thing. Everything else is just gravy.

Of course it's gonna get accepted
How would any commissioner, Garber or someone else, say no?
And yes deserves
Stabilize my league and you get what you want

just woke up lads