Does anyone know about RISD the art school? I'm applying and am unsure whether or not it's worth it...

does anyone know about RISD the art school? I'm applying and am unsure whether or not it's worth it. apparently it's the number 1 art school in the U.S.

Other urls found in this thread:

alumni.risd.edu/
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>art school

how many good artists do you know went to art school. learn some shit on the internet and drink and do drugs. learn to think for yourself. School can be good for technique but all that can be found on the internet for free. School is also great for making you a sheep. It will instill in you 'rules' that do not apply. Art has no rules. Rules are for faggots that go to art school because their parents pay for school. Practice. Focus on something that makes you better at art. Push yourself. Do whatever your type of art is all the time. Learn about other artists you love / despise. Don't go to art school.

I live in Rhode Island, been around it. Place looks super nice and the reputation follows it, it's absolutely amazing if you have a passion for art, but students there look like pretentious hipsters, and it's expensive as fuck. Your call, but I say go for it. Also, if you want to get housing there, all the places around it are so nice architecturally.

ok, thanks!

>how many good artists do you know went to art school
Just about all of them.

It's a good school with a quality reputation. Do well there and you'll be taken seriously by any gallery or art director when you go looking to build a career. There are plenty of good art schools or programs out there and RISD is one of the better ones.

who

that's cool and all, but what is it about RISD that makes it "better"? Is it just the name?

just google the alumni for RISD. fucking Shepard Fairey and Seth MacFarlane attended there

This guy gets it.

Those two faggots can go fuck themselves.

you're a total faggot

>Seth MacFarlane
>Shepard Fairey

Alright try looking at some real artists
>Jean-Michel Basquiat
watch his doc, I think it's on Hulu or some shit.

You have yet to define what kind of are you desire to make. That would help with your decision.

He asked you for good artists

riveting

I want to go into either printmaking or sculpture. I haven't officially decided yet.

go study STEM you faggot.

There are very few people who are self-taught artists.

The reason you go to an art school is to learn about the old masters and to develop your own technical abilities. Good art is about a good foundation. All the great artists around the world started by copying the old masters and developing their own style along the way.

I'm a martial artist. I've been training for 23 years and only recently have I started developing my own 'style'. To get where I am today it takes tens of thousands of hours of copying the old masters and developing a strong foundation.

Visual art, like martial arts, isn't that diverse. Anything that can be done and will be done, has been done; its only the materials and technology that change. In the same way that the human body can only move in so many ways, so can paint only be applied to the canvas in so many ways. Add in weapons or armour or digital mediums or tactile interfaces or whatever, and the medium expands horizontally.

If you can't punch without armour on, you won't be able to punch with armour on, regardless of how much you train. It's all about foundations. If you can't paint a simple painting with oil on a canvas, you won't be able to paint with sand or metal filings or LEDs or whatever.

Art is not spontaneous, it is a long process brought about by many years of study and dedication. Just doing things by yourself is not art, its fucking around. You can't develop a medium without understanding the medium first.

Yale is #1. They pay to be that.
RISD and SAIC swap for #2. Honestly, apply for all of them and choose the one that gives you the most scholarship. - And apply to lots of scholarships. You'll need them.

I agree with you to a certain extent.

Let me put it this way. If you're not a good artist, if you're nothing special, art school isn't going to make you into a great. If you're a great artist, then, well, you have a knack and art school is something that can help you flourish.

Picasso would go to art school for ideas, because he wanted to expand his repertoire and refine his style (hypothetically). Joe Schmo would go to art school to become Picasso and it would never work out.

I believe being a great artist is something you're probably born with and art school can help with that.

>>Seth MacFarlane
>>Shepard Fairey

neither of these two men you mentioned do either of those things. Minus one lucky get with Fairey (obama poster).

Fam I'm trying to help here. Go do some prints. Design shit. Design anything, Redesign anything, You will not get good at art / design by asking 4chin for school advice. Live your art. You have to want it. You have to do it every day, all the time. Don't go to school. You think Fairey got his design idea from a class? Maybe. You think he probably though it up while stoned? more likely. Art is hard. Good / intelligent art is harder. You will not get good at art (or anything, really) by being passive. You have to want, you basically have to sell your soul for your art. As cliche as it sounds. Instead of worrying about school, go create something. Make a Trump poster. Remake a poster for your favorite movie. Create a sculpture for your favorite video game character. Recreate it. Do it again. Apply for the school if you want to go. That would be good. Sorry I have no advice about school. Art is inherently not about school. It is about pushing boundaries and casting light on the things people see every day but don't notice. Art is not stagnant, art and creation lives and breathes. Create a podcast about your art. Turn it into a blog. Go to school if you want but it will not make you create. It will make you take notes.

fyi the same sort of thing pops up for "harvard alumni"

That's what I'm trying to get at. Art is a knack. You can learn the knack, but you will not find anything but technique in a classroom.

Just have a backup plan and don't expect to make a killing. If you can deal with potential poverty but you love art above all else then go for it. Don't listen to these soulless robots screaming about the STEM meme. They read it on here or Sup Forums, they don't have a degree in it themselves, and they get off on being condescending. Society can always use a little more beauty, if you're good then go for it.

tl;dr you may be poor but if it's what you really want to do then go for it.

>actual alumni page with no way to see alum

>alumni.risd.edu/

Interesting. I feel like I do have some creative spark inside of me, which is why I considered continuing that in the first place.

Thanks for that. I knew what sort of shit I was getting into asking Sup Forums for advice of all places, but i'm taking everything with a grain of salt.

White?

What does white mean?

>School can be good for technique

you are literally repeating what I said.

If you're the original poster of that comment you seemed to say in all cases that art school is a had idea, even for natural artists. I'm saying for the natural artist it's probably not. It's going to expose you to a hands on laboratory, feedback, and ideas that you couldn't get on the internet. I also don't think talent can be taught, so like a knack couldn't be taught. And I think if you have true talent you wouldn't let a draconian art school destroy your artistic voice like you said it would. I think that would only happen to talentless or mediocre students. So I think art school is valid in some sense.

You have wisdom in your words, sir.

Also if you go to art school and find that you're mediocre at least you can graduate and become an art teacher. Otherwise you're destine to work in Starbucks

I recently graduated from SAIC 5 years ago, and while it's been tough, it's true, and I don't regret a second of it. The critiques received and connections I've made are invaluable to me.

>So I think art school is valid in some sense.

I totally agree and yes I am that poster. I was never saying art school will kill your drive or whatever. I guess my train of though was lost. But I think art school is good for learning technique, but from what I've seen it will not make you a good artists. It can give you a base possibly, but it will not give you unique ideas or interesting medium or give you a knack or make you special. It is my opinion that art classes teach you what worked in the past, but it cannot teach you what will work.

tldr it's not bad at all, but won't make you interesting

There are hundreds of careers that benefit from an art education. It will be one of the last skills to be replaced by AI, computers make shit art.

if your taking loans out for it, no its not worth it.

if you can score scholarships or have your parents paying for it, then yes, do it.

the truth is its not going to help you as an artist, thats going to have to come from experience and your own dedication. however, youll probably meet lots of interesting artists and be inspired.

t. struggling artist in debt from art school.

True, maybe we can all become the next Kurt Cobain when our robot overlords pump us full of nutrients via spinal inserts all day

What about if the school also has a comprehensive liberal arts education?

I'm taking out a few loans, but hopefully it'll be worth it. If not I can always commit suicide.

show some work bro

>liberal arts education

who cares. we are talking about creating art. you don't need a liberal education to create art. I don't understand the question.

Can't studying different disciplines inform your art? Especially art history?

>number 1 art school in the U.S.
Yale, Parson's and SAIC usually top the lists. RISD is pretty good for general design though, just not as good for a broader art education.

Most of them. But most people that wen tto a good art school don't produce art after graduation, so there's that.

>earn some shit on the internet and drink and do drugs. learn to think for yourself
Don't do this. You will produce mediocre shit that will inevitably be a duplication of many artists' better work from 50 years ago. You have to understand art history to produce good art.

>School can be good for technique but all that can be found on the internet for free
A good art school rarely focuses on technique, more so on materials science

>School is also great for making you a sheep
Understanding art and the progress of art requires an education, whether formal or not.

>It will instill in you 'rules' that do not apply.Art has no rules. Rules are for faggots that go to art school because their parents pay for school.
Good art schools don't usually focus on the 'rules', but there are rules. Go ahead and try to be a successful artist without understanding the rules. You'll starve, like most 'artists'.

>Practice. Focus on something that makes you better at art. Push yourself.
Your only good points, other than:

>Don't go to art school.
And I only agree with this because most people that go to art school do it because they think it will be easy. Making shitty art is easy. Understanding art, and producing anything even remotely worthwhile is not. Becoming successful as an artist is even harder.

>source: MFA, and I own an art gallery after over a decade of success in fine art

please see

>And apply to lots of scholarships. You'll need them.
You will. Especially if you're a guy. Good luck in this woman-dominated career path...

Ayyyy, fellow SAIC graduate. 2004 for me.

>If not I can always commit suicide.
You'll fit right in at school

Seth Mcfarlane went there.

I currently go to RISD. I can say for a fact that it is not #1, and the student body shows. There are a few incredible artists here, but most stradle on the mediocre side, and are heavily relying on the school's "reputation" to get them anywhere. AMA if you have anything you want to learn about RISD.

/this is thoughtful discussion, not slander, i am honestly interested/

>Most of them.
Please send me a link / list

>You will produce mediocre shit that will inevitably be a duplication of many artists
Please find a list of top tier artists that didn't do drugs either to enhance their perspective of the world or change their point of view

>materials science
I honestly don't know what this means other than *the materials you use changes your art*. the medium you chose to make art with will impact the art you make, and the ability to choose an apropriate medium will come with the art you choose to make.

>Understanding art and the progress of art requires an education
Art is not science. Art requires not formal education or learning. If it did there would be no art.

>but there are rules
If there were rules we would not have art. There are rules if you wish to create a certain style of art, but in reality there are no rules. Art goes through phases, like adolescence. Art has changed over time and will continue to change over time. There are only rules if you wish to follow a certain style. Otherwise the world is your oyster.

>Making shitty art is easy.
I agree

Judging by the tone of your comment, you don't seem that happy there. Do you regret going to RISD?

No, I am, I'm just commenting that unless yu have the drive, go to a regular universtiy instead. good night

OP is a faggot

Hitler didn't need to apply to art school