It's a holodeck episode

>it's a holodeck episode

Definitely the most fun TNG episodes, but they really fuck with my mind.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jteYwm_elwo
twitter.com/AnonBabble

best mindfuck episode coming through

Came to start this exact thread. Watching one right now.

>it's an "oh alright, come on Wesley" episode

Seriously, the holodeck raises so many questions.

>why does bad shit keep happening on the holodeck
>why do holodecks have safety features that you can deactivate
>do people have sex on the holodeck
>why isn't everyone crowded in the holodeck at once
>if the holodeck converts energy into matter, do the programs that act as people have simulated organs and brains

Holodecks, not even once.

>if the holodeck converts energy into matter, do the programs that act as people have simulated organs and brains

That one's a given. I'd imagine that those people are legitimately alive. I mean, you can't simulate that one news guy's reaction when Picard told him that Data was from South America.

Same reason current gen games have more bugs than earlier games. The more complex something is, the more faulty it ends up getting.

Could be some kind of absolutely last resort shit, but I fail to find any reason for it that would help you.

You can, so obviously somebody'd at least try it. This may also be why you can turn the safety features off.

The TNG enterprise has more than one, but that seems like a half-assed explanation to me, unless there's a whole shitload on it.

Well, the brain isn't exactly a mystery at this point.

>It's a Riker creeping on a woman way too hard episode
Jesus those were downright embarrassing to watch

He was emulating Kirk, but with that fucking beard, he was like a middle aged father hitting on 18 year old girls all the time.

>wes: I think my thirteen years of life experience could be some help. I wanna come too!
>riker: No, we have somebody with actual qualifications. Fuck off.
>troi: Ahem, he IS allowed on the bridge.
>riker: Oh in that case, come along wesley!

Its like the writers knew you hated him and wrote shit like that specifically to fuck with your emotions.

He gave off that vibe without the beard though.

Same reason the computer experiences a near-fatal accident every other episode, ST engineering is a joke.
Above.
Yes and its implied multiple times
There are several on the Enterprise and its generally something you schedule, though I guess the command staff can take it whenever they want.
Most objects like that in the holodeck would be photons and forcefields to hold it together (when Worf cuts a mook in half the cut glows and he disintegrates), shit like food is what actually gets replicated.

Still do you think that the fields would be complex enough to accurately simulate a human brain? These characters are more human than Data.

IDK if the Starships have rules about fucking holograms

in DS9 the holosuites are explicitly used to fuck in most of the time

Raises interesting questions when the Doctor gets holograms rights

Doesn't help that holodeck sentience was addressed as far back as The Big Goodbye. They could've just made the hard light holograms essentially nonhuman, and instead you had to watch as one of their hearts broke before your eyes.

This shit. I still don't understand it. Does a computer simulated image created from matter in a closed environment not count as a life form? Why aren't there rules against killing them, or fucking them?

>McNary: Tell me something, Dix. When you've gone, will this world still exist? Will my wife and kids still be waiting for me at home?
>Picard: I honestly don't know.

>It's a crew has problems with the holodeck and get trapped episode

Especially since Data was considered sentient, and holograms were more human

Also , if the holodeck can replicate human emotions then why the fuck couldnt Data use those algorithms to act human and have emotions?

>it's a holodeck weapons will kill you episode

>it's a holodeck is broken and whoever's inside could fucking die episode
My initial reaction to all of these is that if holodecks are so prone to malfunction, why do people keep using them.
Then I remembered that it lets you live any reality you damn well want.

You could fuck any hologram you want, at literally any age.
And that hologram could love you unconditionally. And that is a sentient being who loves you, too.

>at literally any age

Would there be safeties for pedophilia in a fucking holodeck? I guess if you can get shot and killed, you can diddle a holographic kiddie

There aren't any rules from what I know. You wouldn't actually be fucking a child.
Hell, making it legal would essentially end pedophilia. Why risk imprisonment when you could just fuck a hard hologram that has no official sentience?

>Not fucking those cat furries from STAS

>not getting fucked by a gang of lolifutas

what are you, gay?

My point is there's no limit to what you can bang, and the craziest part is that it can love you back.

The holodeck is fucking dangerous.

>it's a holodeck inside a holodeck inside a holodeck episode

I wonder what the holodeck looks like to Georgie. He's not seeing it the way we are, and he's seeing a lot of the electromagnetic spectrum to boot. Maybe it's like a weird cartoon to him.

Doesn't Geordi have a holowaifu?

Hell, the holograms could be the closest he gets to having actual sight.

>That episode where Riker is forced to fuck an alien slut to escape a hospital, only to be beaten horribly by the medical staff

>That episode where the enterprise goes to a planet full of literal manlet cucks

>Every episode where Troi cucks Riker with an alien right in front of him and he's forced to smile and accept it

Probably because the EMH is a thing.
Alternatively, imagine if suddenly the ship gets a massive hit.
The chief medical officer has no proper equipment.
>Alright, take everyone to the Holodeck, I can use the holographic surgical tools
Not to mention surgery training in the holodeck in the academy

I mean it definetly should be something you can only turn off with officer confirmation, but it makes sense that you can feasibly turn them off if you really need holographic tools that can affect non-holographic objects for some reason like that

Other non surgical example
>Crewman procures a large block of marble
>Beams it into holodeck
>Turns off safety, and uses holographic tools to make a statue out of it, then beams it to his quarters

>entire brain is mapped
>can't fully simulate eyesight

What the fuck is with this crazy fucking universe?

Wasn't it that they actually could simulate eyesight, but Geordi got a visor that makes him see even more than the human eye?
I always imagined he has like Predator vision, except for electronics.

Then his whining is fucking pointless. Why not just get new eyes, and keep the visor for supernavigation when needed?

Maybe I haven't gotten that far.

Geordi fell in love with a holo version of Leah Braums, and when he met her in real life he found out that she was happily married.

A lot of people have holowaifus. Picard, Geordi, Harry, EMH, Seven, Riker, Barklay, Janeway... Pretty much everyone has had one at some point.

They could fully replicate eyes and give him normal vision. Geordi always refused because he wanted his augmentations. He never complains about it except when someone asks if it ever bothers him, and he says that the overload of information to his brain gives him a headache but he can't live without it.

Hell, it's shown several times in future flash forwards that he does replace his visors with occular implants without losing the benefit of his visor. The technology wasn't available during TNG for him to replace the visor with the same thing but in eye format.

>The technology wasn't available during TNG for him to replace the visor with the same thing but in eye format.

At least they address this as the series progresses. Thanks, user. Still on season 1 and he just generally sounds like he deeply regrets not losing his eyes to the point where normal vision is his deepest wish in that episode where Riker turns into Q.

His wish was actually to be able to see normally, just once. He asks for his visor back because he had seen without it and while it was nice, it wasn't who he was.

In season 2 they address this topic again, and his Visor's abilities are the center of several episodes.

In season 4, they actually reference the Q episode. Riker's mind is probed by an alien child and his holodeck to create the future Riker wishes he had. Riker imagines Geordi replacing his visor with occular implants, but that's because Riker never fully got over his cockiness from being a Q. He never realized that what he did was wrong, and could never get over the fact that all of his friends refused his gifts to them.

Here's a pic of him with the implants. This is from the TNG movie, First Contact, which takes place a few years after TNG and during VOY.

>while it was nice, it wasn't who he was.

Until they gave him implants; he was fine with that.
The logic in this show baffles me sometimes.

Should I just watch TNG or do I have to watch the original? TNG is the only one that looks interesting

>>Currently watching a data does Sherlock episode

Set phasors to maximum comfy lads

Yeah, just watch TNG if you want. The original does tie into it, but the first episode alone explains a lot of shit to fill you in.

It also opens with the Enterprise-D's maiden voyage, so it's a good start for a new viewer.

The implants functioned exactly the same as the visor did and then some. He comments on it. He only gave up the visor because the implants replaced it with a superior version.

At least 70% of the original is just the camera zooming in on the crew's reactions to things. You're not missing a whole lot.

>its a riker bluffs data in poker episode opening

what about the other ones like Voyager, Deep Space 9 and that one in the 2000s. They look meh. any of them worth watching?

TNG is a more fitting entry point to star trek than the original

youtube.com/watch?v=jteYwm_elwo

I liked what little I saw of DS9, but that was a long time ago.
And voyager is OK but not as good as TNG.

I started with TNG and i 100% recommend watching it first

Why did they even have the Holodeck? Seems like it was fucking up all the time. Probably would have been a safer ship without it.

Because Picard fucking loved video games, and that was the console of the day.

Watch The Big Goodbye. He calls a meeting about pronouncing space bug names and opens by gushing about a detective holo like he's a 9 year old who played Ocarina of Time for the first time and has to tell his folks all about it.

Why the FUCK where the TNG movies so shit?

Not sure. I liked a couple of them, but the other two were awful.

>Why did they even have the Holodeck?

Fucking made-up bitches and playing adventure games, why else?

>it's a Data reads about something from the past and decides he wants to be that episode

>At least 70% of the original is just the camera zooming in on the crew's reactions to things

Much as I love it, this is true.

Producers didn't have faith that the TNG audience was sufficient to turn a profit from a movie, so they dumbed it down to appeal to everyone and made it stupid.

Don't watch Voyager if you hate the holodeck.

The federation literally built a deep space tactical recon/assault vessel where every single surface that could be accessed by a human was also a holo generator. The ship was one giant holodeck meant to be manned by a minimal crew, up to 1 if necessary, and the rest replaced by holograms.

Also Janeway had the literal worst holodeck episodes ever.