The most overrated guitarist of all time?

the most overrated guitarist of all time?
>'he's black xD so hes good!"
only popular in an era where everyone was trippign balls.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/YwIuVPOc_Bw
youtube.com/watch?v=fRJXltVPFtM
youtu.be/k_5YZbmLI4c
youtube.com/watch?v=cYEgTNuwP0Y
youtu.be/k0KcWyZ8II0?t=42m58s
youtube.com/watch?v=iEb7FpPAd1Y
youtube.com/watch?v=vmM2qXDS9wc
youtube.com/watch?v=usoXOaoWRIQ
youtube.com/watch?v=FwkcRTNMsWs
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>>>/growup/

I know this is a (you) grab attempt, but if anything he's under rated. One of the best to ever do it, with no formal musical training

>One of the best to ever do it

Prove it.

>exhibit A: Charts and graphs
>exhibit B: Opinions by " music critics"

I think Wes Montgomery is very over rated, or their are certainly some bad recordings out there.

All of the grunge guitar heroes were the go to people to berate as well. Also, Noel Gallagher is open to criticism.

So that's English language speaking countries dealt with. As for the western European continent the Spanish and French schools of guitar need ought come under examination.

Mmm Hmmm..........
And what achievements have you made in the music business?

Who sites you as an influence?

I thought so!

>*posts pictures of black and white skulls*

OWNED LE NIGGER XDDDDD

You're out of your element, fuck off

>literally every metal guitarist after him is better
>wasn't even the best guitarist of his era
>lefty
you're right OP, he blows

t. 7 year old, r_Donald redditor & Virgin metalhead

>implying Hendrix is better than Clapton and Jimmy Page
>implying a teenager in his room couldn't play everything Hendrix ever produced
>implying lefties are worthwhile

Your not even trying user......

neither did Hendrix at becoming a better guitarist

In my opinion he is just better looking but less talented Jeff Beck, I like him, but he is a bit overrated. His fans are the worst though, I don't know of any fanbase that is more annoying and I browse Sup Forums all the time.

Cause he was already the best?

>Clapton and Jimmy Page
lmao

You're a beck fan and can't think of a more annoying fan base? Jeff Beck became irrelevant the day Vai Satriani buckethead and Johnson played professionally. Beck is a big haired hack. I'd love to see his touring hairdresser budget. Faggot would make Elton John blush.

there are/were countless classical and jazz guitarists better than him

guitar playing in rock music can't reach those standards by default

name one thing he did better than his contemporaries

music

/thread

OP is mad his precious Claptonbae got rekt in front of his own audience by a then relatively no-name

If this is an actual opinion and not just another troll post, i'd say this: Hendrix by no stretch of the word was ever the best guitarist. He was sloppy as hell live and never had a mastery over a wide range of styles (like Guthrie Govan or the like).

However

He really is arguably the greatest guitarist ever, and will ever be. He redefined the scope and role of the instrument in popular music like no other, simply because of his timing in history and his unique style.

Greatness and technical proficiency (the "best") are like apples and pears. Hendrix's influence on the guitar's use in popular music is definitive. The man embodied the guitar hero, even if his playing was shitty at times.

/thread

>Hendrix was the first bluesy guitar player
the entirety of the 50s had guitar in the forefront of everything

You are only proving my point about Hendrix fans, your response is almost as immature as your taste in music.

Also, the guy has as much soul as Nestle's CEO.
P.s. pic belonged the BEST guitar player that ever lived: Shawn Lane

youtu.be/YwIuVPOc_Bw

Jimi wasn't better looking but he had better stage presence, I'll give him that

Jimmy was sloppy as fuck, no defense here. But he owned it.

To be fair, I never said Hendrix was the first "bluesy" guitar player. Hell there were tons of guys with more 'feel' before him arguably, like Buddy Guy.

I just think Hendrix took everything before him and packaged it in a style both musically and looks-wise that kind of jump started the whole "guitar hero" thing and appealed to a more universal audience, for good or bad.

He pioneered the use of feedback in guitars. Even if you don't like the way he sounded, you have to admit nobody else sounded like him. And he used that to basically dominate psychedelic rock

Someone posted this Blackmore quote about Hendrix a few days ago that I felt was pretty accurate

>"I was impressed by Hendrix. Not so much by his playing, as his attitude - he wasn't a great player, but everything else about him was brilliant. Even the way he walked was amazing. His guitar playing, though, was always a little bit weird."

This he basically pioneered the rock star image with his on stage showmanship only challenged by Pete Townshend

>I think Wes Montgomery is very over rated
Why exactly? Sure, he played pop and smooth jazz towards the end of his career, but his technique and sound unique to this day. As far as underrated players go, I will have to say - John Scofield, Grant Green.

>Jimi wasn't better looking
Not him, but who cares? And how is that a valid point of criticism for a guitar playing ability?

you actually think clapton was better than hendrix?

how boring of a person are you? jesus christ, i bet you think you're living on the edge when you put salt on your steak

He was a very good musician. He was also very imaginative and wrote good music in a rather simple form.

There is nothing overrated about him. Those who say "x was the best y ever" are fools anyway

>He pioneered the use of feedback in guitars
That would be The Velvet Underground.

it's all about versatility of the instrument - Hendrix will be a big figure in the history of the electric guitar for demonstrating how one guitarist could play both lead and harmony and having a huge range of different sounds available thanks to the emerging transistor-based effect pedals

if you compare 50's and early 60's music to mid-to-late 60's, there's an explosion of different styles and sounds, some enabled by making the studio as an instrument (think The Beatles and The Beach Boys) and some by effects making the electric guitar more versatile than any acoustic instrument basically and Hendrix was one of the big figures in this

>ignoring the Jimmy Page part
Jimmy Page was the best 60s guitarist, you literally cant prove me wrong

There can only be one greatest.

He was only sloppy after the heroin fiasco desu. He was a session player by trade before led zepp, and you cannot be sloppy and a session player. Mutually exclusive

>Hendrix will be a big figure in the history of the electric guitar for demonstrating how one guitarist could play both lead and harmony and having a huge range of different sounds available
This is what the late Allan Holdsworth did his whole life. He reinvented his sound and style for almost every album he's ever played on. And to drive the point home of how advanced his guitar playing innovations were and still are - Frank Gambale said that even when he was inches away from him, he couldn't understand how and why was he playing the way he did.

Who cares what a lesser talent has to say Jesus

Most underrated ever!

At least sage when you shitpost.

Geez, not even that fat cunt Yngwie is this egotistical. Considering that his band never made it (And weren't Joshua meant to be a Christian band?), you'd think he'd be slightly less arrogant.

>Frank Gambale said that even when he was inches away from him, he couldn't understand how and why was he playing the way he did

Funny you should say that; I've been reading through pic-related the last few nights and Alex Skolnick, Ty Tabor and Jeff Watson all say pretty much the same thing about Holdsworth.

It wasn't a criticism, it was just an opinion

He used lots of effects, volume, and feedback; the first noise man

well Jimmy was actually interesting, I could see someone arguing him being better than Jimi. But clapton? that's just offensive

Because Wes is very often sighted as a big jazz guitar influence but I think this is more because jazz guitar isn't very popular and Wes is the quickest name drop a lot of people can recall.

Or maybe it's purely a name I recognise often, but whose music and style I'm not entirely comfortable with.

And it's a useful way of sewing up American be-bop guitar in one go. These guitarist were very overated.

actually, these dudes did it first.
youtube.com/watch?v=fRJXltVPFtM

Shame that he couldn't write a single good song

Or is that cited? Citation needed. . .

Honestly I think Mclaughlin deserves a lot more praise than he gets. No one played like him at that time, he pretty much established the fusion genre and influenced countless contemporaries like Beck, Coryell, Di Meola, Zappa, etc.

Also he's one of the few virtuosos that have not been copycatted. I have yet to hear Govan playing indian influenced spiritual rock.

Intense Defense is a great album

I think he deserves less praise because fusion was taking place in other continents and performed by guitarists very rarely mentioned.

youtu.be/k_5YZbmLI4c

Give me a break

all guitarists are overrated. the ones you like, the ones you don't like, the ones you don't even think about. hendrix? overrated. yngwie? overrated. your friend that plays KISS covers in dive bars? overrated. that kid that just bought a squier combo pack? he's definitely fucking overrated. the manic depressive guy in bandcamp threads that makes improvisational ambient soundscapes? he's the most overrated of all. every guitar player is overrated

with that being said i have a minor dislike for megadave

Dave is neither underrated nor overrated though, some of those guitar parts he played while singing weren't a walk in the park

i didn't ask for your fucking opinion

No.

No nonononononono

>literally every metal guitarist after him is better
>implying being able to play scales at 220 bpm is what makes a guitarist good

>Shame that he couldn't write a single good song
Can't say much about that, but I enjoy Chick Corea's work.

youtube.com/watch?v=cYEgTNuwP0Y

I agree. Just listen to this:
youtu.be/k0KcWyZ8II0?t=42m58s
He does Santana better than Santana himself. Not to mention that he's able to play his Mahavishnu Orchestra material at 75:
youtube.com/watch?v=iEb7FpPAd1Y
The problem with him for most people is his almost inhumanely fast playing sensbility. And that's why the first 4 Mahavishnu Orchestra albums are the ones most people can connect to.

To be fair Santana totally lost it when he began making pop some years ago, anyone plays better than him now. But back then he was up there with John, and to me he was the actual hero in Love Devotion Surrender: youtube.com/watch?v=vmM2qXDS9wc

I agree McLaughlin's style can feel a bit alien or overly exotic to most people at first, but that's part of his appeal. He's got a very personal way of playing guitar and that's why he's one of the few unmatchable virtuosos.

But he can play comfy, too. This album is beautiful:
youtube.com/watch?v=usoXOaoWRIQ

>Also, Noel Gallagher is open to criticism
lol no one ever said he was a great guitarist you dumb ass

>This album is beautiful:
Thank you very much. I haven't listened to everything he's done, but I couldn't stomach Shakti for that very reason. Any more recommendations for his "tame" style?

feedback in guitars has been a prominent feature of the lo-fi garage rock bands of the 60's, most of whose material hasn't really been preserved that good. The Velvet Underground certainly took the concept and raised the bar, but that was impossible without the energy that modern classical music of the time had spread amongst young musicians of the day. Same goes for the beetles, whose love for the ornament shines in their decorative way of using oddball sounds of the times.

Guitar players are a joke especially Metal head, technical wankers. They treat the guitar like its the Olympics. They will never realise that there will never be a "best guitarist"
Each player brings something different
in Hendrix case his rhythm playing is very unique listen to Little Wing,Castles Made of Sand, Electric Ladyland ( loose ends version) for example, his jams and solos stand out as well.
>any one can play ____ songs
Are you this retarded, the talent is in creating the songs

i hate this fucking pretentious board

>plays in a christian metal band
>has this much of an ego

I'm pretty sure even Skillet is a more noteworthy band than this faggot

metal guitarist here, i'm not even close

McLaughlin, Holdsworth and Larry Coryell are all great in my book.

Not even a jazz guitar player or even remotely interested in shredding, but McLaughlin has influenced me in seeking to improve my skill and not just rely on "feel".

That's the fans. Every metal guitar player has their own approach at what they do. Of course they play fast, that's the thing about 80% of the genre, but people like Yngwie and Petrucci unironically put some thought into what they do and not just shred mindlessly.

People usually assume they only play fast scales because they have seen some youtube training videos.

Now, showing off can be perceived as pretentious, but there's really nothing wrong with it. At the end of the day, people appreciate the honest attempts rather than the mindless stuff.

20 years playing guitar here

Hendrix is God tier. Plenty of other amazing bluesmen out there for sure, but he was a one off and his style was totally unique at the time.

Guitar heroes tend to fall into 2 categories. They either have an original style/sound and/or virtuosity (Hendrix, Iommi) Or they are guys that absolutely nailed their chosen discipline or genre (Clapton, Peter Green, Page etc). And then of course, there are the wankery experts like Van Halen, Randy Rhodes etc

I think Van Halen and Rhoads fall into the first category.

>Yngwie and Petrucci unironically put some thought into what they do and not just shred mindlessly
Not him, but that's exactly why people stopped liking them.

Literally every metal guitar player would still be playing 12 bar blues if it wasn't for Hendrix
Also, as a lefty, fucking die

Bands like Dream Theater have turned their music into an Olympic discipline.
youtube.com/watch?v=FwkcRTNMsWs
I don't even know what to say. Who would find this memorable? And I'm a fan of progressive rock, among other genres, which are often associated with what I've just described.

you're very correct, many others are more influential or technically skilled.

Which is*

yeah, they just spawned a bunch of lame copycats

Nice quads. Yngwie is more autistic about writing stuff that compares to classical authors, his shred game was more of a marketing phase in the 80s. Petrucci only wanks when playing a solo, he's really self contained.

That's just a couple of songs, if Dream Theater is faulty in anything is being a copy of every other prog bands out there, in that particular case, they were going after meshuggah and zappa.

That's the case for most guitar players that fall into the first category.

Who could be more influential?

noice

Not him, but here are some contenders:

I'm the same guy who posted McLaughlin, Holdsworth and Coryell and would consider that debatable.

I can see your point, mainly because of statements like these from other highly accomplished guitar players:
It's not easy to be seen as influential if someone like Frank Gambale can't understand what you're doing on a guitar, let alone play it. My post by the way.

Honestly I used to agree with you op but my opinions changed over time. Hendrix isn't the greatest or some shit but he was cool as hell. It's never been about technical ability, or knowledge or theory, or speed for me, just how much FEELING you can put into a song and how good it sounds. For example I adore george harrison and David gilmour. Not remotely people you'd consider amazing players, but still very great at what they did

>Wes Montgomery is very over rated
holy kek

>le finger picking man

Jimi had the ill instinct and that's it

>people don't consider David Gilmour amazing
u wot m8? everybody who's even slightly into guitar recognizes him as top tier

Sometimes it's really about the approach. I don't even play anything similar to Holdsworth (I actually play on a noise rock band), but his philosophy on having certain responsibilities as a guitar player really get me.

Pic related went from playing on a folk band to a full prog band just by listening once to Mahavishnu live.

Sometimes you don't really need to fully understand something to let it influence you, in the same sense that's why I believe Hendrix is one of the most influential, if not the most influential guitar player in modern history.

Shakti's third album, Natural Elements, is much more accessible than the previous ones, with more focus on the melody than on ferocious playing. Also Visions of the Emerald Beyond and Night in San Francisco have an overall slower tempo. But the must listen here is In a Silent Way, the album that made McLaughlin famous and a true comfy masterpiece along with My Goal's Beyond.

More songs off the top of my head where he plays beautifully are Stanley Clarke's Desert Song and Peace Piece from Extrapolation, one of my favorite guitar tunes ever.

>Sometimes you don't really need to fully understand something to let it influence you
I agree, but I can't say the same for your opinion of Hendrix as the most influential guitar player ever. I think Allan Holdsworth's contributions will be recognized decades from now though. I'm not familiar with Charly GarcĂ­a though. What would you recommend as far as his albums and collaborations go?