Is babylon 5 worth watching?

is babylon 5 worth watching?

i don't care for star trek and i hate stupid looking alien makeup. but i liked battlestar galactica but some parts were meh.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=-tj4qfe9afs
youtube.com/watch?v=ZapAjjTDbh4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Just fuck off pleb faggot

It has the greatest effects ever

If you are a Bible thumper then you might like it more than Star Trek. B5 treats religion much more kindly than Star Trek.

no son. people like you watching it will only taint the value of this master piece

but ST mostly ignores religion?
and the one that didn't went full "prophets ackbar"

also i watched first episode too last week as i am finishing up enterprise, i actually liked it despite people saying that it was supposed to be bad or smth

it has that melancholic feel of people doing their day job

also i like the idea of psi corps

It's art but if you have ADHD or something it may be too slow for you

Are you b8ing or just incredibly fucking stupid?

If you like the idea of a cohesive and preplanned story presented over the course of several seasons, then, yeah, B5 is worth watching.

It's really good, has one of my favourite character development arcs (Londo and G'Kar) but there are some shitty episodes.

It all comes together in the end.

Slow first season. Bit episodic due to studio interference. Amazing rest of the show.

not b8. its a 20 year old show. i have no idea if its worth watching

Not OP here but thanks I've been considering watching this I remember it from when I was growing up but was too young to appreciate it I will definitely go watch this

b5 is probably one of the greatest shows of all time simply because the creator pre-planned the entire show, into specifics. he even had "trap doors" for all characters so that if a character needed to get written off they could do it without impacting the story too much.

that being said the first season is mostly shit, but if you can make it past that you are in for some of the best television of all time. it's like watching lost where the writers know exactly what's going on. no cop-out ending.

it makes me sad how many star trek threads there are but b5 is so consistently overlooked.

Enjoy, man. There are some movies also, if you're interested. But the only one that'd be a must-watch is In The Beginning - but if you do watch that, watch it after having seen the show since it touches on elements spread throughout all the seasons.

Why are you all humouring this guy? He states that he hates alien makeup then asks if he should watch a show were half the cast are made up

Watch it but you can stop at the end of Season 3. It was actually planned that way, everything concluded nicely.

I'm not saying that the 4th season sucks; it's just a non-event/footnote and can not reach the awesomeness of the previous season.

Avoid season 5 like the plague.

Mate. Just look at the picture you posted it has star trek and 'stupid alien make up' written all over it.

Outside that, you won't know if you'll like it until you watch a couple of eps anyway. Watch the first few eps/ the first season. If you like it, continue, if not, drop the show and move on with your life.

We need stop with these fucking 'should i watch this' threads. Watch it yourself first, so you can contribute something to the conversation.

Which is hilarious given that Roddenberry was Jewish and Straczynski is an avowed atheist.

Season 3 ends on a mostly cliffhanger or something from memory.
You do need to watch Season 4 to see the end of the two major wars in play.

Also watch the series final for season 5, it was pretty good even if season 5 was awful(everything which could go wrong for the production went wrong, I felt kind of bad for them because you could see moments of brilliance in there but they were few and far between).

Why did they leave the Londo is being mentalraped by aliens sideplot open in the last season? I know they showed what happens to him in the end in season 3s babylon 4 episode but still why not cut the loose ends when you had the chance

yes, i am aware the show has stupid alien makeup. I am asking if the show is worth watching in spite of the cheesy effects and makeup. I care about plot not genre defects.

similar to how evangelion is worth watching even if you hate anime tropes.

Watch "In The Beginning".

I am currently watching Babylon 5 right now for the first time.

Episode that I just finished was the end of the Shadow War.
Holy hell season 3 to that episode was some grade A TV. That was shockingly good.

Hey, if it weren't for OP's faggy 'should i watch this' thread, I probably wouldn't be able to even see discussion about this show.

Probably best scifi I've ever seen. Much better than DS9. You gotta get passed the first season for it to get good however

Yeah, I think we all agree that season 1 is weak.
Very episodic, focus is on petty squabbles between childish ambassadors, everyone is just kind of an asshole.

Some episodes are pretty sweet though, like the Babylon 4 one.

Season 3 is probably the best damn sci-fi I've ever seen.

>the majority of people in that image are now dead

why is this show so cursed?

Didn't it air like, 22 years ago now?

It's not like everyone was super young when it started.

DS9 came out a year earlier and none of the main actors in that have died.

Vir Cotto for President!

I'm running through all the actors right now.

G'kar's actor apparently "loved smoking with a passion that could not be described."

I guess that explains him.

So good Mass Effect literally stole the entire plot for its own and nobody realised.

>wait a minute only two of them are de-
oh

Holy shit Jerry Doyle died while I was watchign this show, in the last couple of days.

RIP

Season 3 ends with the single greatest Cliffhanger in TV history. I remember watching it aged about 12 or 13, losing my shit,and then being forced to wait 9-months for the continuation.

Objectively viewed: some of the writing is a bit sickeningly earnest, it has that 90's "we can do it if we work together" kids tv writing thing.

The external CGI holds up, but the second the actors are required to act with a CG creation, the resolution goes to shit, the quality drops and your immersion can fail.

Some of the stand-alone episodes are junk. Season 1 is a bit slow, season 5 is just bad!

That's a pretty long list of reasons not to watch it...

But seasons 2-4 are some of the best tv writing you'll see, some of the character arcs are Shakespearean. It's been what 20 years since it aired and I still get shivers thinking about some of the pivotal moments in the show. One of the character's "deal with the devil" is masterful

... I must basically write this same review every-time this thread comes on tv, which is about twice a day right now. Its becoming a bait thread for me.

its full of stupid looking alien makeup

we're full too

fuck off

youtube.com/watch?v=-tj4qfe9afs

What did he mean by this?

>season 5 is just bad!
I got that to look forward to...

I hope the movies are good, at least.

i was in the same boat senpai

watched a few episodes on tv when i was about eight years old, it was on Saturday at about midday or so

watched the whole thing about six months ago, and i love it, the whole thing fits together like it was meticulously planned out, everyone has satisfying development, although there's not enough ivana, and it all comes together in the end

>I hope the movies are good, at least

Yeah... about that.

youtube.com/watch?v=ZapAjjTDbh4

It's weird, there was a lot of Ivanova in season 1, and a bit in season 2.
They just kind of dropped her development after the psy corp sleeper agent plotline.
I guess they had to rebuild a new main character, and had (great) heavy focus on G'kar and Londo.

Then the rest of the time went to the doctor because drugs are bad mmkay.

I threw up in my mouth a little.
Yet I'm intrigued. I will watch these when I finish the series.

What the fuck man

>I hope the movies are good, at least.

HA!

"In the Beginning" is good...

The more I watch this, the less I can even think of an in-universe explanation.

I'll just have to watch it.

If you had to pick a side, Shadow or Vorlon?

I never even beat the first Mass Effect, but I do remember the way they handled psychic people seemed almost identical to B5.

Get the fuck out of my universe

i really like mass effect, i was sad when i finished it, the first one really is the best

Babylon 5's a big pile of shit!

Shadows if strong race.
Vorlons if weak race.

I tried replaying the first one, but holy fuck the gameplay is so weak, and the graphics are in that awful spot of 3D animation, where everything just looks horribly wrong.

it aged okay, i think, though the combat sucks balls, i am upset that ill never discover the story again, moments like talking to the big red dude in the secret research base, and fighting to get to the conduit were among the best times ive ever had playing vidya

Babylon 5 is pretty shitty.

If you just watch the reports on ISN, you can tell it's just anti-human propaganda.
The monsters.