Will we ever see the Mecha genre successfully cross over to film...

Will we ever see the Mecha genre successfully cross over to film? The visuals could be absolutely stunning if done with the right tone.

Pacific Rim was the closest and that bombed hard (and was also shit) so no.

Because only Japan cares about giant robots and even over there interest in the mecha genre has declined a lot in the last few years.

Putting money into making a high budget non-animated Mecha movie just wouldn't be profitable.

:(

I'm hoping a the US will go through an anime phase similar to the current capeshit phase

Speed Racer bombed, GoTS will likely underperform and Death Note will be a hilarious trainwreck. not much can be done about live action anime movies.

Naruto could easily be something close to HP in terms of size if done correctly.

Not gonna argue about the bombing part (although it is getting a sequel), but I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Until they actually start filming I'm betting the sequel doesn't happen considering how much the original and every other Del Toro film post HellBoy bombed.

>RX-93 Nu Gundam
Good ass taste. Best fucking Gundam.

Would love to see more live-action /m/echa movies but it'll probably never happen. Would love to see a real robot movie, like Gundam or Patlabor especially.

I think Mobile Suit Gundam would translate to film pretty well, no idea why it hasn't happened yet. Especially in a world where Bay's Transformers makes retarded levels of money.

Gundam is just better star wars anyway

Mecha (non-animated) would cost too much to make, there's no way they would make their money back since people barely give a fuck about giant robots.
Pacific Rim cost almost 200 million.

psssht... leave hollywood to me

mecha is gay ass fuck, pretty much everything that comes out of japans is for weebs or losers

Snyder could get the tone perfect imo

I think Votoms could work pretty well as a movie saga, almost every arc from the anime could be a film.

Those were kaiju mechs which are a different genre from Gundam mechs. Not sure what point I'm trying to make, just saying

Don't go encouraging him

BoogaBoyega is the lead, he's producing aswell.

Legendary is owned by a chinese company and they loved the first one, Pretty sure they are pushing for the second one to get made.

No doubt, user.

Definately could see Snyder doing Macross.

Real Robot is exactly what I had in mind. Somewhat of a Space Opera about Real Robots.