Is music the greatest form of art?

Is music the greatest form of art?
Is it even art?
What does it mean?

It's definitely not the greatest form of art. There's far more subjectivity when it comes to listening to music in relation to other forms of art.

It is the greatest form of media

this

I think film is the greatest form of art honestly. It's the culmination of all art forms into one experience. Writing, photography/videography, and music all coming together to create masterpieces... Or giant piles of dog shit. I don't think I've seen a movie that's checked every box perfectly. Just a bunch that have done a damn good job.

i agree with this for sure
i would argue kubrick movies are perfect hes like beethoven

Literature is the best

No manmade creation can match the beauty of a woman.

In terms of directors to musicians I would put him at the scale of beethoven. A perfectionist who set the bar high for what it means to create beautiful pieces of art in their respective fields

Film is great and probably the most impactful for modern audiences, but it's collaboative nature dilutes it's value as creative expression. Painting is a pure creation of a single person's hand.

jesus that is one ugly frog

but all women are thots desu~

any effort with creativity behind it is art

Art is a social construct to give meaning to things that cannot be defined. When not adhering to post-modernistic relativistic bullshit this would mean art is meaningless since no theory can be formed around it. Hence this discussion is useless, just pursuing what interests you is the only real value of any art

Ranking art forms goes against the idea of art itself

I get what you mean. The fact that so many different forms of art coming together takes away from the respective pieces. It's like making a sandwich out of the world's best ingredients. You might have combined the best of the best but overall the flavors overpowering together but incredible separate. That's why balance in film is important. Use good ingredients that compliment each other well that might not be amazing in there own and that's film

Those are weird ways to spell video games

Not a bad opinion, it's too bad there aren't many modern day auteurs. Paolo Sorrentino comes close though I think.

i hope you are not baiting because i also believe in the potency of videogames as art, even if its still in its infancy

Not him but I don't think it's bait at all. Only backwards thinking purists would argue otherwise

Every form of art is subjective. You realise you can appreciation a composition the same way you appreciate a painting.

The real question is whether you consider the blank canvas or John Cages 4'22 to be art

>ITT: bunch of kids talking about other forms of art in which they don't know close to nothing about

just don't waste everyones time and go study kids

Of course every form of art is subjective, but I find it's much harder to come to a conclusion on what makes an album good, as objectively as possible, compared to, say, a painting.

VIDEO GAMES AREN'T ART

They can be. But there's so many factors that go into making a video game and also sponsors, that make it lose a little credibility. It certainly doesn't have the pure quality that most art forms tend to have.

I think each art form has its own merits and problems. I would say music is the most versatile, there are just a ridiculous amount of genres and styles. It's also fairly cheap and you don't need loads of people making it. Films are great as they combine lots of elements to make a single piece, but they are really easy to fuck up and they are super expensive. Literature is pretty amazing as well as it is incredibly cheap to write a book and only needs one person which helps focus the artistic vision and encourages experimentation. Video games have a massive amount of potential with the whole interactivity thing but they are super hard to make and the form is really still in its infancy.

That's you personally. I don't think there is objectivity in any art but I find it much easier to speak objectively about music than most paintings.