Hey fags

Hey fags
Tell me how bad I fucked up building my new PC.
>Processor(Intel® Core™ i7-7700K Processor (4x 4.20GHz/8MB L3 Cache) - Intel® Core™ i7-7700K)
>Processor Cooling(Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan)
>Memory(16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-2800 Memory Module - Corsair
>Video Card(NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 - 8GB (GDDR5X) (VR-Ready) - Single Card)
>Motherboard(MSI Z270 PC Mate -- 3x PCIe x16, 1x USB 3.1 Gen2 Type-C, 6x USB 3.1 Gen1[Intel Optane Ready])
>Power Supply(800 Watt - Standard 80 PLUS Bronze
>Primary Hard Drive(250 GB WD Blue SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s - Single Drive)
>Data Hard Drive(2 TB Hard Drive -- 64MB Cache, 7200RPM, 6.0Gb/s - Single Drive)
>Optical Drive(ASUS 24x Double Layer DVD±R/±RW + CD-R/RW Drive - Black)

Other urls found in this thread:

pcpartpicker.com/list/2dGvhq
youtu.be/1J1Ots2AhiY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For a moment I was going to say you fucked up buying a liquid cooling system, but it's a fan, so I guess all in all good work user. Did you get a case?

Corsair
/thread

Yea went with this.
Thermaltake Chaser A21 Gaming Case - Black)

>no case
/thread

Nice, that's the same case I have. The same build too as far as CPU and GPU are concerned.

well If you fucked up on anything its probably the power supply being over kill, would have been better with a 80 plus gold at lower watts
wait who uses a optical drive anymore?
all in all a good build tho.

Fuckin kek

Your RAM speed is wrong, you want to get either 2133 or 2400 if you're using DDR4.

It didn't come with an optical drive but I still like to burn Cds. I'm old

800w PSU are a bit much these days for power needs, that 1080 sips power a nice 650w gold would have been a better option.

very nice build. would've went with 32G memory but that's just me.

>2017
>not having a cupholder

No m.2 nvme pcie ssd? Slow boot times ahead

Also you're best off using only 2 RAM sticks, so you are going to want 2 sticks of 2400 DDR4 RAM

If you're doing anything other than only gaming, I recommend a AMD Ryzen 1700 over the 7700k, because it has double the cores/threads and the motherboards are cheaper because you can overclock on a mid-range B350 board as well as a X370 board, unlike intel.

Not a bad case, love the tooless installation as well, sadly mine was only a tooless optical drive and not HDD or SSD.

>slow boot times
Back in my day a fast boot time was anything under 5 minutes.

It was a 400 but they said Its free to upgrade to 800, is it bad for it to be that high?

>Having a GTX 1080 and I7 7700k
>Not using water cooling
???????????????????

>using water cooling
>crying when your computer dies

No. That guy literally has no idea what he's talking about. People use all the frequencies and it hardly makes a difference. theres 3000, 3133, 3200 mhz as well that all run fine.

>2 sticks
>not doing 64g or 128g board max

Nigga...

Please say that you don't got a Founders Edition 1080.

I think the idea in mind was for 'a future investment'.

>oldfag
Anything more than 10 seconds these days is entirely too long

it wont hurt your pc at all being that high, but if you can get better power rating at a lower watt for the same price it would be better

Youre better off doing more ram at a normal speed (2133 or 2400) than less at a dumb oc speed.

Anything more than 2400 is overclock speed... which is retarded.

If you're referring to my comments about the RAM speed, I do in fact know what I'm talking about. It's fine to use other speeds, and your computer will work just fine, but you're wasting money and potentially bottlenecking your build if you're not using a RAM frequency that is harmonious with your CPU and Mobo. Why would they have different frequencies if everyone just bought the highest one?

No its just your not going to need 800w unless your planing on running another 1080 and doing some overclocking with both.

And it wasn't free the regardless of what they told you. the 400w psu was priced at the cost of the 800w psu so when you ask about options they say "oh we are doing a promo for a free 800w psu" so you feel likes its a better deal then it is and have a greater chance of making a purchase. I work sales for a computer prefab shits like lets can make or break a sale.

Yes I know I have a similar rig to OP. I can really appreciate how fast my OS boots on an SSD now, the pains of waiting many minutes to turn on or restart the computer is long gone. Sometimes I hesitate to restart my computer because the idea that I have to wait so long is still stuck in my head.

>Using a fan
>Crying when your computer blows up due to pounds of dust

Pretty nice.
If I were you I'd have waited for the fight between Ryzen and i7 to lower the prices even more and save some $, but pretty nice nonetheless.

The i7-7700K uses dual channel memory, therefore it's optimal use use dual channel memory as well.

>not cleaning your PC even if it's water cooled
What kind of barbarian are you?

Guess I fucked up there then

>Processor Cooling(Asetek 550LC 120mm Liquid CPU Cooler - Standard 120mm Fan)
he is thou,
he's using a 550lc 120mm liquid cpu cooler with an added 120mm fan.

Water cooling uses fans too, just placed differently.

memes aside what is the alternative to this? dusting out your pc every 6 months or so? I had a few random heat spikes with my CPU lately and I cleaned my case for the first time since building it 2 years ago

I don't know if that helped at all..

No, you didn't.

Even your ram thats rated for an insane overclock speed has a native speed, which is probably 2400.

Just don't overclock it.

If he isnt going to overclock he might as well just go with the normal i7 then and save like 50 bucks.

... right.

... but that doesn't mean only 2 sticks, that just means populate in pairs based on priority.

Better read PC gamer more kid.

I just hate AMD that much, I can not see myself ever going amd. Plus I came home at 6am on Monday and found a message on screen saying
> hard drive failure imminent
And couldn't do anything. So desperately on a whim i immediately went on my phone and customized this and bought it in 5 mins. Now I'm scared I fucked up

You don't buy a Ferrari because you need to drive 180mph every day, you buy it so if you have to you can.

It'll still do 70 on the highway like a fucking champ.

If you go to Intel's website and find the support page/product specs for the i7 7700K you can see that they even tell you to use 2400 or 2133 DDR4 RAM. If you still doubt me.

Corsair is 10/10 m8. My psu, ram, keyboard, and mouse pad are all made by them. 10/10

You're right, I got an i7k over the i7 as a future investment and never overclocked it yet. Thanks for validating my own purchase user.

AMD is poor-tier unstable bullshit for people that can't afford Intel.

They work, just not very well or for very long.

It depends on your CPU clock speed. The optimal ram speed is half your CPU speed. For instance I've got an i7-4790k that's OCed to 4.8GHz, so I got ram that's 2400MHz

>Compressed air can with big plastic nozzle
>Dust out computer every few months
Problem solved.

So you're going to try to call me out on that, but you suggest he uses the mobo max supported memory of 128, when the processor itself can only support 64gb? Alright man, go ahead and be militant.

I never overclock shit.

If you buy good enough shit, it'll run that fast without overclocking it.

Overclocking, like AMD, is another poorfag thing. Unnecessary and damaging to the hardware, but welfare kids can't play Call of Duty without overclocking their AMD Toaster ovens to the equivalent of a 486.

Nvme does not speed up load times for system boot or even loading games. They are only faster when transferring large files. As long as you have a decent SSD you are good to go.

I've never heard of that calculation before, but even if that is what you're supposed to use and his CPU's clockspeed is ~4.2........ He should use 2133 RAM.

This has always been my opinion as well on AMD and celeron duchy the passed 15 years as well. Why I've always stuck with intel

amd sucks dick though

Fucking fan filters for fuck sake. I have them, haven't cleaned the inside of my case (Wich has 6 fans) in 2 years, and it has virtualy no dust. Btw my room is dusty as fuck.

>MSI

>militant
didn't realize I was being militant.

>processor only supports 64gb
didn't realize that either. I have a 6th gen.

>Call you out on that
That I did do. Sorry if you took it the wrong way friend.

That's right, I need to run this things lifespan into the ground before I need to upgrade it once it's overclock speed is outdated.

Also, he's currently going to use 2800mhz, 2400 would be fine too, just not 2800.

I disagree.

Bad?

>that calculation
I've never heard anything like that in the history of ever, and I've been doing IT shit for 10 years.

>Computer anons, willing to confront their mistakes and learn.

This isn't the Sup Forums I'm used to.

Aren't all klingons militant?

Oh my god, absolutely fucking wrong. What are you talking about.

It's a pretty good all around build, nothing special or to complain about that doesn't involve brand loyalty and personal preference. This is about the same as the wife's build minus the 1080, she's using one of my old 980ti.

It's probably a trade calculation from previous gens that didn't carry over.
>or a sales tactic.

I'm too old to be wrong and call you a faggot for me being wrong.

I never looked at the 7th gen Intel chips because I have a 6800 and have had no issues running the shit out of it. I wasn't aware they were dual channel.

... even so, if populated in pairs, that should utilize it just fine. Once upon a time I had a triple threaded Intel chip (I wanna say 4th gen, might have been 3rd) so when i populated the RAM, it had to be in 3s (6 chips), which worked stable as fuck for like 8 years.

>sales tactic

Looks like you figured it out user.

that calculation is Best-Buy tier bullshit man.

From my experience Asus boards have better heatsinks and less driver issues.

Ahh, good old tri channel memory. Such a pain in the ass.

MSI isn't totally bad. I've used them several times. Generally, MSI gets a bad rap because they're really a budget board and people buy them because their price point is generally lower.

ASUS has had their share of bullshit problems too, and they're a "higher tier" board than MSI.

EVGA has had several problems too, especially with heatsinks and shit (like on their GeForce 10 line, which is fucking atrocious and has been recalled several times for fire danger).

ASUS does have the bonus of having a much easier to work with BIOS than most other boards... even if they're shit at putting updates out expediently.

no fucking shit man. Still, once you had it populated correctly, it worked good.

Is this a good build anons? currently on a budget pcpartpicker.com/list/2dGvhq

Fair enough, I only customized a few things and didn't know enough about motherboards to change it. Still feeling better than I was before about this frantic impulse buy

>is this a good build
>on a budget

Nobody can answer this question correctly because none of us are you.

A "good build" is whatever you can afford that does what you want it to do. Building a computer to win a dick waving contest on the internet is some autist-tier faggotry man.

As long as you're not being a total neckbeard with it, it's probably fine. I don't even have to look at what you posted.

>iaintclickinthatshitnigga.png

Uh where's your floppy?

>floppy

Make your own thread poorfag

I'll put it to you this way my modest build researched on Sup Forums, pcpartpicker, logicalinc etc. is really just a $800 jerk off machine that I don't really play vidya on

and I don't post on Sup Forums after learning what I needed to know so nobody knows about muh super kewl gaymen rig

In your gf

>Sup Forums
>posting there
>ever

Bruh, taking Sup Forums's advice is like actually going to Best Buy and letting the Geek Squad talk you into a 2 year subscription to Norton Antivirus with your iPad.

>gaymen rig
that's pretty much what Sup Forums builds.

Anybody have any experience doing 2 way SLI with 1070 or 1080 cards?

Is it worth doing?

but as I hope you gleaned from my post I only USED Sup Forums for the basic how-to of putting the components together but I basically disregarded most if not all that was shared on that board and ended up buying a classic AMD housefire.
The banter on Sup Forums was okay sometimes but that goes for all of chan if you look hard enough. Nice analogy, by the way

Yeah, I got an evga 970. It is supposedly the one that is 25% quieter and 25% cooler. It sure was quiet, till I realized the fans were set to start spinning at 80c. So I loaded up evga precisionx16 (which uses 50% gpu to display itself) and set a better fan curve. Then is sounded like a vacuum cleaner. It's been running fine for the past year and a half though with a water cooler on it. Fuck evga for their shitty cooling though.

The fun part about putting the components together is that aside from however you want to get creative with cable management, all the shit inside a computer is keyed so you can't fuck it up.

Just like in kindergarten, the circle peg won't plug into the square hole.

It's literally that simple inside a computer. (with the exception of wiring the case buttons, because those are a bitch even for people who've been building shit for years. I still fuck it up all the time, getting plugs backwards, etc.

And, to be completely honest, other than being cheaper and running hotter than intels, AMD is still functional. As long as you make sure you have a good cooling solution, you can make an AMD run just as good as an Intel.

Most of the instability comes from the fact that they run hot and people don't always overdo it on the cooling, which is pretty much rule #1 for AMD.

I've only seen the numbers, but it's not worth it for the price you pay. It's not double the power. It's like 25% more power, for twice the price.

I purposely won't buy EVGA shit anymore because of that.

I don't care how loud shit is. If it's between being loud or being on fire, I'll take loud.

>tooless optical drive
>not HDD or SSD.

Literally what's the point? I have never removed an optical drive, I remove hard drives all the time. That's fucking retarded.

Basically, useless unless I want to run 6 monitors then...

>with the exception of wiring the case buttons, because those are a bitch even for people who've been building shit for years
It was my first build ever so I am not too irked over it but I fucked up my case buttons lol the power and rest work of course but the audio jack and microphone don't for some reason I fucked up

Usually, when I fuck up wiring the case buttons (and the audio too), it's because I have the plugs upside down. Try spinning them around. It usually fixes my problem.

Boards either never label the negatives, or the plugs aren't color coded. 10 years and I still fuck that one up every single build.

Yeah, is is my first (and probably last) evga card.

youtu.be/1J1Ots2AhiY z

What colorful LED lights??? Don't see them listed

I'd probably buy AsRock before EVGA.

... then again, I had a GeForce 270 once upon a time that was an EVGA card and had NO problems with it.

Maybe just a bad batch, whatever.

I also had a Note7 that never exploded... and only turned it in because they fucking updated the software so it wouldn't charge the battery past 40% and fucking destroyed the phone so you had to RMA that shit.

Cause I'm not autistic

haha nice thanks for the advice Sup Forumsro. I doubt I will crack my case to fuck with the wires sometime but maybe if I get bored