Can you cut the cake into 8 pieces with only 3 straight cuts?

Can you cut the cake into 8 pieces with only 3 straight cuts?

An interesting problem...

Yes

How?

An incredibly wide X with the first cuts then i line down the center of the x

Yes. One horizontal cut parallel to the top of the cake and then two vertical cuts on top perpendicular to each other.

Nevermind that's 6 I'm retarded

Correct. :)

Isn't that only 6?

Yep. One cut along each of the 3 axes in three-dimensional space. They'll be crappy pieces, but there it is.

Divide the circle in half
Draw a light mark at the center of the circle you wish to partition. Use a ruler to draw a horizontal line across this mark. The line is a diameter that divides the circle into two parts.
Divide the circle into quarters
Place a ruler so that it is perpendicular to the mark. Draw a line from the circle’s top to its bottom so that it splits into four equal parts.
Separate the parts, and rearrange them
Use a pair of scissors to cut along the diameters in order to separate the pieces. Place these pieces on top of each other so that they form a stack.
Create the eight pieces
Lightly pencil a line down the middle of the stack’s top piece. Carefully use scissors to cut along this line. The circle should now be split into eight pieces that are the same size.

/Thread

And how would you cut the cake into 7 pieces without horizontal cuts?

That makes six slices boi

Incorrect. It said straight cuts, and that guy is clearly a fag.

Okay. xD

That's 9 slices you cuck

Haha, good joke.

First cut : Make a circular cut which shares the same center as the cake, with radius r1 = 1/sqrt(2)*r (where r is the radius of the cake), 2nd and 3rd cut are horizontal and vertical. the outer pieces and inner piece would have the same area. If strictly looking for same shaped pieces, this obviously won't work !

Nop

How would you do that?

horizontally through the middle ie. if you have ever made a layered cake, and two cuts straight across the top

Cut 4 pieces at 45 degree angles - same as diving a wristwatch from 10:30-1:30 , 1:30-4:30, 4:30-7:30 and 7:30-10:30. Each piece is equal to 3 hours on a watch. Take the piece with 3 o'clock portion and align this with the 12 o'clock position. Similarly, align the 9 o'clock portion with 6 o'clock. Make sure all the center portions are aligned in one straight line which will pass through 3, 12, the cake cent6 and 9. A single cut along this line will give 8 exact pieces equal to 1:30 hrs on a clock. This does not require stacking which can destroy the cake icing etc. Enjoy the perfect 8 equal pieces you Faggot OP

It has to be straight cuts. Like on my wrists.

this is bait or your dumb as shit

What ? xD

Cut it into quarters with two cuts, then cut it horizontally with the third. Eight pieces. Faggots.

Cutting horizontally the cake slice the cake in half (1 st cut)

Cutting 4 equal piece on top (2 & 3rd slice )
8 slices in total

nope

Yes. Very easy.

Easy.

Cut cake in half (first cut)
Stack halves on top of each other
Cut an X on stacked halves (4 cuts on each half)
Total of 8 slices

This

X cut into 4 pieces

line them up

1 more down middle

8 pieces with no faggy stacking that ruins the aesthetic of the cake.

This guy gets it

Cut #1 – Down the center of the cake (vertically) leaving two equal halves.
Cut #2 – Across the center of the cake (horizontally) leaving four equal slices.
Cut #3 – Through the middle edge of the cake slicing all four of the pieces in equal halves, leaving eight equal slices (four equal tops and four equal bottoms).

This.

The first two divide the cake into quarters, and then you cut the top layer from the bottom, leaving 8 pieces.

3D mindset

whos gonna eat a fuckin cake slice thats just all on the bottom

the bottom of the cake is the worst part

/thread

Horizontally, you idiot.

quads

yes. Put origin of 3D Cartesian grid at center of cake. Slice through each of the x=0, y=0, and z=0 planes. There will be 8 chunks of cake, one for each octant. qed.

Two cuts on top to make four parts. Zone cut on the side to divide all of it in two.

yea my mistake, but only 4 people would get the frosting this way. nigga

That's fine, people don't like frosting.

Two cuts to make quarters, then cut it in half halfway up the cake horizontally. Easy.

I do

>landwhale worried he won't get his daily dose of frosting

nigga you dumb

think outside the box noob

>landwhale
nope, 6'6'' and ripped
try harder faggot

ok landwhale

THIS.
I'm proud of you, user.

Cut is horizontally in half, and then a large X

Two cuts as a +
line the 4 pieces up, so they face in the same direction
One long cut through them all at once

Three off centre cuts in like a triangle shape u get me

fold the cake in half and then make your cuts

damn did you just make that info graphic for this thread.. w t f user

>what of it
being this retarded

>being this retarded
being this much of a twisted up little faggot with no friends no girlfriend and an acne kneckbeard. kys

talented regardless tho

I'm 6'7" and slightly more ripped than thou

>solved.
>didnt count pieces but its gotta be 8.