Bought this of at a hospital yard sale it's missing a hard drive but idk what to do with it as far as making it gaming...

Bought this of at a hospital yard sale it's missing a hard drive but idk what to do with it as far as making it gaming pc ready any advice or links to help me? It has a core 2 Intel processor and "had" Windows vista but I know im gonna have to make a boot disk to get the new hard drive going pic related

hook it up to a TV and use it as a shitty HTPC.

This, that pc prob has the power of 5 potatoes daisy chained together

snes9x box ftw

The only things that might be useful in here would be the diskdrive\harddrive because they are at least backward compatible with sata cables and the powersupply maybe based off wattage, if its above 500 keep it, below it is trash. Good luck, you're hoarding a piece of poopoo. You can build gaming rigs now'a days for about 450-600$ based off a few variant parts

oh yeah + you're missing even a shitty graphics card. You're not gaming with that onboard graphics I gaurentee it. Unless you're playing Tibia or Graal or maybe some other old ass games.

Why the fuck you needs a boot diss when the OS disc is the boot disc

I know how to make it faster

Take it to roof, throw it towards street

Speed = 32 feet per second

Well i got it for two bucks and I just kinda wanna slap a new processor graphics card and hard drive on it
Is the motherboard realy gonna hold me back that much

This right here is why you need to stay in school, kids.

Yes. Your CPU if it is up to date won't fit the socket type of the motherboard. Granted building PC's is like adult legos you still have to make sure the socket types match.

Optiplex 960?

why would someone buy a piece of shit like this?

how much did you pay OP, if it was 10USD it is still too much but at least id feel better knowing you arent a total moron

I have a feeling that the process is under this shit

it normally costs up to $35 each for a corporation to properly dispose of a PC.

Hospital is now +$33 faggot

Yes because you don't even know what socket it is. If you get a newer processor it's not going to fit. So youve basically got nothing.

here is an instructables video on the matter, hope it helps op!

I assure you it is. Trust me I've been building since I was a kid, if it is pre loaded with Vista, that PC's mobo is not going to get you up to gaming specs unless you're playing OLD games.

Core 2 = shit. You'll never get anything decent to run on there gaming wise.

No it does not, there are plenty of places that take these items for recycle. There are valuable metals in there. Do any of you actually think before saying things?

You would literally be wasting money. Put an old hard drive in it and use it as a household surf computer. It's not, and never will be a gaming PC. Just the strait facts. Not being a dick. Listen to us OP, don't pour money into this. Save up for an actual gaming pc.

Supporting the community :)
Well I mean I can just use the tower disk drive, power supply, and fans right?
I can just replace the motherboard and etc

turn it into a PC grow cabinet.

> 35 + 2 = 33

You can grow like 50 grams in that case if you do things right.

ofc it is

also, no fan means its passive-cooled aka an absolute piece of shit when it comes to performance

Not OP but im interested in building...what about a bios update

yeah, all of that was a good investment depending on what you paid. If the power supply is bare minimum 500 you're good on that too. You will need a new motherboard, CPU, graphics card and RAM. The RAM and CPU must match the motherboards socket types. Graphics cards are universal for the most part.

Thats so sad

What is Cpu model. If its above like 2.5 ghz keep it. Next can a Gpu. Make sure it will fit in case length wise and it can be supported by the psu/power supply. If it is 300watts (should sau on psu) (Look up where psu is on the psu lmao) buy a 1050ti or 1050 non ti. This should give you a decent graphs card able to play decent games. Also buy more ram. This is really vague but like this should give you a starting idea of what you need to do to make it capable of doing anything but streaming netflix.

Don't bank on the old heat sink fitting on an up-to-date mobo. The case and PSU are the cheaper parts of the PC so you've not really saved yourself much money in the long run.

yes. retard. you need a new motherboard. if you want a recent graphics card you'll probably need a new power supply as well.

old hard drives have a tendency to fail catastrophically (meaning all data gone instantly)

i would reuse the case and dvd drive and buy new components for the rest

it has a gen 2 slot
you could if you really want to waste money on that pos buy an rx460 or a 1050 (get literally the cheapest damn one you can find) and slap it in ther

dell mobo that psu is probably 350 watts at most

It is best not to buy old used computers unless you know what they are really worth. Most people selling think the computer is worth more than it really is, since they remember having paid $1000 just a few years ago.

Also, for something like a gaming PC, old (more than a few years old) prebuilt systems are not good choices, since they tend to be spec'd out for whatever they were bought for. A system from a hospital is probably bought on a budget, and everything is going to be close to the minimum to run their basic, non-graphics-intensive programs.

yeah I think this thing is under that 500w so I may have to replace that
Yeah I saw one on eBay for 100 bucks but since I heard about this one for 2 at the hospital I was like fuck it see what they have keep in mind I almost bought a dell with Windows xp but I mean 2 bucks is 2 bucks you get what you buy

But chinese kids use mercury to extract gold and silver from PC innards. Mercury is dangerous!
THINK OF THE CHILDREN1!!!
(even if they are g*dless chinks)

fuck off nigger