/jazz/

Latin riddims edition:
What's your favourite latin influenced album?

Also, general discussion, etc.:
What have you been listening to?
What'd you think?
Any recent purchases?
Any gigs you're planning on going to/went to recently?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2y181d28X-c
youtube.com/watch?v=ypcCcpob27k
youtube.com/watch?v=hOhARZgWkXg
treblezine.com/reviews/u2-the-unforgettable-fire/
youtube.com/watch?v=1EGz1-a-luc&list=PLv1513VPVnzShEUhAQrpQ9D8aIajuii6h&index=1
independent.ie/entertainment/music/barry-egan-recalls-an-unforgettable-24-hours-with-u2-frontman-bono-in-san-francisco-in-1992-30564956.html
youtube.com/watch?v=-7R9AAx9mOA
spin.com/2003/06/fitter-happier-radiohead-return/
youtube.com/watch?v=wq0vquxGPzA
youtube.com/watch?v=MnwNr97VmNU&ab_channel=julenko
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Bump

Bird, Diz, Bud, Monk, Roach, Hawk, Brownie, Fats, J.J. and Dexter.

what do you make of this

There was a great post in yesterday's thread tangentially related to this.
I think classifying it as speed painting doesn't really do the quality of the music justice. It's a good analogy in terms of immediacy and the roughness/imperfections that come out of improvisation, but I don't think comparing someone like Coltrane to some guy sketching quick pictures in pencil and selling it on the street is fair.

bump :'(

Isn't he actually saying that Coltrane isn't necessarily making poor "sketches" but that he never bothered to make anything more than a "sketch"? There are great sketch artists too and all.

The analogy seems dead on to me. I like watching artists draw.

ARMANDO
Thats a really beautiful album. i have to admit i have some trouble listening to solo paino records unfortunately. I always like paul bley and cecil taylors solo paino playing more though.

>Who's everyones favorite solo pianists?

I'm sure there are great sketch artists. I don't happen to know any who've ever done anything of even remotely comparable quality to A Love Supreme though and frankly I'd be surprised if there are any. The analogy doesn't need to be perfect to fit tbf though. Music isn't drawing and there's no law that says the two need to be comparable. If you need an analogy between the two, it's not the worst one you could choose.
However:
>but that he never bothered to make anything more than a "sketch"
Is mischaracterizing why Coltrane and jazz artists in general made/make music the way they do. Coltrane didn't improvise because he wasn't bothered through composing a whole piece, he did it because that's the point of the medium and it was the way he thought he could best express himself. Most top-tier jazz artists were very proficient at writing and reading music and could have through composed pieces if they wanted to, but the whole point of jazz, as stated in that post I linked is in the immediacy and the visceral emotivity improvisation yields.

Bill, Cecil, Taborn, Jarrette, Monk, Tatum and Mehldau.
Recently picked up Earl Hines in New Orleans on vinyl too, which has been really enjoyable. I hadn't heard any of his later stuff, but damn that is a good record and I'll deffinitely be looking more into his later catalog. He's still got all that stride and dixieland sensibility, but on some tracks, you can really feel a lot of bop influence from people like Bud Powell and even hints of Monk at times which is pretty fascinating to hear juxtaposed to all the pre-war stylings that he's still got as the bedrock of his playing.

getting into jazz

what have you been listening too:
Pharoah Sanders, Steely Dan

pretty great need more recs tho. theres probably a lot of stuff going on in my city thats /jazz/ but i've been sick.

Favorite Latin jazz album

youtube.com/watch?v=2y181d28X-c

Some who haven't been mentioned yet:

Fred Hersch
Craig Taborn
Simon Nabatov
Marc Copland

Also Hank Jones has an album of solo standards that's really underrated.

jtg is this record really that good? i mean i assume the answer is yes in your opinion. whats the deal? why all the praise from you? i havent heard it mentioned so much by anyone else.
ah i forgot i love monks solo playing more then anyones. also, you dont find meldhau a bit boring cause oh boy do i.
you dig marc copland? what stuff of his do you like? not necesarily solo piano but im curious.

Listen to this album right now if you like latin jazz

>whats the deal?
Really, really excellent compositions, some of them long-form which is always good. Freeish solos which are always good. And all of it based around fairly authentic Cuban folklorick rhythms but blended really well with the whole jazz thing. Plus I love the way Yosvany uses dissonance in the compositions. I'm still waiting for him to record another record this good.

>you dig marc copland? what stuff of his do you like?
Poetic Motion
Haunted Heart
Between the Lines
At Night
Lunar

He's always good on duet stuff.

bump

alright, ill have to check out that record i guess. like it sounds good and ive been meaning to get to it but im surprised its a 5 out of 5 for you. Ive only heard Marc on some stuff with Gary Peacock and wasnt loving it but i also do love most peacock post late 60s acid freak out.

Afro-Cuban stuff is kinda my specialty so if it's got good compositions and free-ish solos then it's pretty much like it's made for me.

Favorite Bass heavy albums?

Any other Afro-Cuban stuff you'd recommend

any drummers here? i'm wanting to build a new setup for jazz. looking for a 4piece (tom, floor tom, bass, snare) and 3 cymbals. any recs?

Eddie Palmieri's La Perfecta II is pretty good. Really any of Brian Lynch's or Conrad Herwig's Latin stuff is pretty good for the more jazz side of things. And any of Ray Barretto's albums are good for the more traditional side.

>Brian Lynch's or Conrad Herwig's Latin stuff
why not both?

Thanks to the dude who mentioned this last thread, I really enjoyed it. Reminded me I really need to take a week to learn about all the local stuff going on in my city, I might be missing some good shit.

A love supreme

A wonderful meme

oh and if this is jtg fyi you rated yosvany terrys album .5 stars, which from the review does not at all seem right

hi i'm here from the u2 general. i'd love to get into jazz, but i'm not sure where to start. i appreciate any recs you have.

First stop listening to U2. Then come back

Fuck off faggot. U2 sucks dick.

Go back to /r/music

Is this bait?

nobody who listens to fucking U2 belongs in these threads

>Shout-out to these two generals, one of which I'm very active in and first rebooted it on Sup Forums a few months ago after it was essentially dead for about a year
what did he mean by this

If you think garbage like Vertigo is good, there's no way you could ever understand the complexity of even the most simple jazz compositions.

All (Me)

>it's /jazz/ and /americana/
Wew! Maybe we should make them stir the actual hornet's nest of autism on Sup Forums. That'd be a real nice shit-storm.

There's NO WAY somebody who thinks fucking U2 has ever produced a single iota of good music would be the one to restart /jazz/ general, much less be someone who posts in these threads. U2 is music for retards who can't think for themselves. Also, he's clearly baiting hard as fuck since none of the artists he listed have any remote connection to U2 whatsoever and they all shit all over those hacks anyway.

Mods need to permaban those threads anyway. Absolute cancer. The sad thing is, it's not even ironic. There are genuine fans that have somehow found their way from facebook or some normie site onto Sup Forums.

what do you mean

I don't get the "wew" part with /jazz/ and /americana/

I mean that it's such an obvious troll. Forget jazz, where's the fucking connection between an Irish band from Ireland and Americana?

It was in response to a question about what music you like other than U2

Are you saying liking U2 and liking Jazz and Americana/country/folk whatever are mutually exclusive?

Is it so radical someone might like something you don't? Also the best jazz musician I know loves U2 not saying much though.

Yes. Just like how Limp Bizkit fans don't listen to Brahms.

>Are you saying liking U2 and liking Jazz are mutually exclusive?
Yes.

Yes. U2 fans are fucking retard who know nothing about music at all beyond the Top 40.

nice try u2 fag
your band is still fucking trash
go back to 2005 when people still pretended to like them

>memeing u2 redditors shitting up the one thing i come to Sup Forums for
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

We need to force these guys out of here
They refuse to contain this shit and ruining the whole board

I'm seeing a side of /jazz/ I wasn't expecting.
There's a bunch of children that hate U2 and nake posts like To trigger other people. Most of the actual U2 discussion is oldfags that were fans from the 80s and 90s and they stick to the general.

Yes, it's bait. The u2 is a great band ironic meme is losing steam so now those fags are trying to flip tables everywhere over it.

>Most of the actual U2 discussion is oldfags that were fans from the 80s and 90s
their fucking not. also link me the discord you guys used to organize this. i want in on the raid

Regardless, why the fuck would you link these threads from there with a giant "get in here" message beforehand? We're being raided by retards.

Jesus christ. Obviously this was a poor attempt at trolling, stop acting so autistic.

Also, early U2 had some good songs before they became mainstream and sold out.

Can we please get back to the topic at hand, now? I've really enjoyed Corea's Is this past week. It's just an all around incredible album.

>Also, early U2 had some good songs before they became mainstream and sold out.

it wasn't a raid you fucking moron. It was "shoutout to these generals I like and post in that you might like too"

>Also, early U2 had some good songs before they became mainstream and sold out

U2 was never good. They were always mainstream. They were sell outs from day one.

>post in that you might like too
so you encouraged retards to shit up the thread? nah man not a raid at all

The only people shitting up the threads are the ones who sperg out over the mere mention of U2 like fucking children.

>early U2 had some good songs
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

> Hi, some nice people from (band) referred me to you guys, I'm interested in your music, any reccs?

YOU LIKE (BAND)!?!?!? GTFO REEEEEE
(BAND) IS DOGSHIT FUCK OFF
(repeat x30)

GOD THESE FUCKING (BAND) FAGGOTS INVADED OUR GENERAL AND RUINED EVERYTHING

Look, someone mentioned U2. We have to sperg out on it for at least 50 more replies. You're acting like we have a choice to be mature about other people's music tastes here.

Because U2 is literally the worst fucking band of all time.

UNO DOS TRES CATORCE HELLO HELLO I'M AT VERTIGO YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH YEAH

Like how fucking retarded do you have to be to think that's good music.

>u2
>good ever
>not mainstream ever
>having any shred of authenticity ever

good one

Poster count before this post ? 15.
Poster count now? 22.
All you need to know in 2 numbers.

How fucking retarded do you have to be to derail your own general over someone mentioning the band once?

How fucking retarded do you have to be to believe your general is being raided right now?

How fucking retarded do you have to be to not accept that someone who likes U2 might also like jazz and start generals about both?

And - how fucking retarded do you have to be to think a single song released 25 years into a band's career is only reason anyone might like them?

I swear nobody on Sup Forums likes U2. It's all ironic shitposting. It has to be.

see

The quality of /jazz/ threads are proportional to the number of posters with tripcodes

regardless im curious what people think of JC playing early in his career
youtube.com/watch?v=ypcCcpob27k

He tends to be the poster child for "you can get good if you practice" and I really think this recording confirms that, but I wanna know what other people think as well

Y'all are just mad he got trips.

>How fucking retarded do you have to be to derail your own general over someone mentioning the band once?
It was shitposters from the cesspool that is the U2 general
>How fucking retarded do you have to be to believe your general is being raided right now?
Check the post counts
>How fucking retarded do you have to be to not accept that someone who likes U2 might also like jazz and start generals about both?
It's highly improbable that someone who likes U2 would also like Jazz. It's like listening to ICP and watching ballet.
>And - how fucking retarded do you have to be to think a single song released 25 years into a band's career is only reason anyone might like them?
Look, I don't know the fucking history of U2. You know why? Because they fucking suck and I hate them. But any band that puts out a song like that, so enragingly atrocious, and THEN has the audacity to force their music onto my phone could never be considered anything other than an affront to music and isn't worth my time at all.

Now get the fuck out.

Yo what the actual fuck

I'm just here for the drama

Alright everyone. Cool it. Let's get back to the jazz:

youtube.com/watch?v=hOhARZgWkXg

treblezine.com/reviews/u2-the-unforgettable-fire/

>[The Unforgettable Fire] started the collaborative production career of Brian Eno and Daniel Lanois... It would inspire hundreds of artists for years to come, even spurring Miles Davis to reportedly ask for the record to be played while he was on his deathbed.

NO wtf

This can't be real

> Rejecting traditional song structures, the band exploration of each song on this record results in an album that comes closer than anything to jazz stylings. (No wonder then that Miles Davis is said to have requested to listen to the album as he lay close to dying.)

Have a listen to the album guys:
youtube.com/watch?v=1EGz1-a-luc&list=PLv1513VPVnzShEUhAQrpQ9D8aIajuii6h&index=1

I will never listen to U2 willingly. EVER.

>it's legit
Fuck you dude. This actually makes me like him less.

lmao

Miles is entry level shit anyway.

nice photoshop but thom hates u2 and their fake bullshit

bullshit article

Found the source (copied from an interview with Bono in 92):

independent.ie/entertainment/music/barry-egan-recalls-an-unforgettable-24-hours-with-u2-frontman-bono-in-san-francisco-in-1992-30564956.html

> Bono – for it is him– is too caught up with telling me about seeing the death squads in South America to notice that it is indeed we who are going to die. The voice of U2 is wired to the moon, in fact, which, tonight, is directly over the Golden Gate Bridge, way off in the distance over there. So, it's late on North Beach. Outside a maggoty old club on San Fran's neon strip, Bono is explaining the shock on hearing that jazz legend Miles Davis asked to have The Unforgettable Fire played before he died last year (September 28th, 1991).

> Wearing a Miles Davis World Tour 1991 T-shirt, Bono was equally amused by the preacher's dissertation on how his wife's (the preacher's wife) hot flushes during their love-making kept the whole house warm and saved on the heating bills. The Glide, says Bono, has been his spiritual home of sorts for years (like Oprah, Bill Clinton, Maya Angelou, Marvin Gaye, Sammy Davis, Jr., Roberta Flack, and Quincy Jones years before the singer from Finglas.) Writing that the U2 song Love Rescue Me was inspired by the Glide Ensemble, Bono noted: "The land of street angels that we call your choir are proof God is the funky one”.

youtube.com/watch?v=-7R9AAx9mOA

Honestly, what the fuck. It makes me sad that Miles was so senile and losing his marbles from poor health that he wanted to listen to the Nickelback of America.

he's clearly being ironic. you think radiohead of all bands like fucking u2???

spin.com/2003/06/fitter-happier-radiohead-return/

> Part of the reason O’Brien is perceived as Radiohead’s designated rocker is that he’s the most interested in classic rock; he especially enjoys discussing U2, who appear to be Radiohead’s third-biggest musical influence (the first two being the Smiths, whom all five members love unequivocally, and the Pixies, from whose records Jonny Greenwood learned how to play guitar). For the most part, the other four members don’t talk about mainstream rock.

> “I’m interested in bands as beasts,” O’Brien says. “I’m interested in U2 and the Rolling Stones and Neil Young & Crazy Horse. I love the dynamic of musicians working together and all the voodoo shit that comes with it. It’s a complicated thing to do over the expanse of time, which is why I respect U2 so much. Don’t get me wrong–I adore the Stones, but they haven’t made a good record since 1972. Exile on Main Street was the last great Stones album. But U2 have been at it for 20 years, and that song ‘Stuck in a Moment You Can’t Get OutOf’ was amazing. And that’s after 20 years. That’s when the Stones were making Still Life.”

I can do this all day

You people ruin everything
Stop

Okay people. This is a jazz general, let's discuss jazz

youtube.com/watch?v=wq0vquxGPzA

Anyone know any stuff where trombone is the lead?

I've been trying to learn a new song but it's exceptionally difficult.

No new purchases but I borrowed a digi-pack of jazz music.

No gigs, I live in England. Music isn't very popular here.

leeds is alright for jazz

>also, you dont find meldhau a bit boring cause oh boy do i.
Man, nah! I think he's like a more romantic Keith Jarrett. Sometimes, he's a little bit more like an improvising neo-romantic composer than he is a jazz pianist, but I definitely don't mind that. I usually love the directions he goes in with his melodic development and the very rich and colourful accompaniments.
For reference, he actually managed to do something worthwhile with my favourite song which impressed me enough by itself to warrant mentioning him, but the rest of the solo live collection this comes from is a treasure trove too:
youtube.com/watch?v=MnwNr97VmNU&ab_channel=julenko

Any books for beginners how to learn to play a saxophone (alto)?

I'm also looking for good alto players that are not Charlie Parker or Ornette Coleman.

would anyone be interested in a yass chart?