clyp.it/hsgsteco
clyp.it/tv4qhq4u
clyp.it/ydnly5hk
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Who Dat?

Am I doing it right?

>+240dB

I guess /prod/ is dead.

all the fags in the last board got roasted so hard people are afraid to post their own shit now.

hey guys noisia here ask us anything

Ha. Guess I was the one that killed it then.

How's it feel to recycle the same shit over and over, and that your most popular track is a trashy rendition of one of the most dated chord progressions in the history of mankind?

feels like money and full calendars

What's the easiest way to make money in the music industry?

In Renoise I'm trying to recreate the fast changing BPM sound that Arca and Second Women use but whenever I try to automate the BPM Renoise just bugs out and crashes.

Anyone have this issue? How do I solve it, if that's possible?

I like getting told my shit sucks but I haven't come up with anything since last thread.

These threads are the only reason I come to Sup Forums. I don't even listen to music.

get noticed. visit your local clubs, hang out, listen to what's popular. make something that blows it out, get a dubplate, give it to the dj.

or start your own mastering service and just fucking put it all through fruity loops sound goodizer. people don't know, we know but they don't.

where can I see that thread?
rebeccablacktech is down

>people don't know, we know but they don't
I'm new to music production and didn't know until just now.
I just put all my tracks through soundgoodizer. Holy shit. Are there any drawbacks to this?

haha this fag trying to equate quality and success

made this after watching a couple videos. trying to do something i usually dont do

feedback would be appreciated

clyp.it/nhy03zih

i think this sounds nice
keep up the good work

clyp.it/hlr31qli
is emotion the greatest pop album ever made

is there a plugin that makes the vocals sound high pitched without actually changing the note?

does this go out of tune at any point?
clyp.it/0dkmd3lk

the effect you're looking for is formant shifting

yes, it's just a multiband compressor preset smashing your track with no awareness of the content.

compression won't save a bad mix.

Is it weird that sound design is slowly clicking with me but music theory just isn't making any sense at all?

Talk about music production, composition, songwriting and audio engineering.

Upload WIPs on clyp.it/

GIVE feedback and RECEIVE feedback.

>ATTENTION!
DO NOT post Soundcloud, YouTube or any other links where you are not anonymous (unless somebody asks you for it). That is considered self promotion and will usually result in a bad feedback.

>LEARNING RESOURCES

(Obligatory mixing course)
>The Art of Mixing by David Gibson
youtu.be/TEjOdqZFvhY

(Obligatory synthesis course + additional related videos)
>Intro to Synthesis by New York School of Synthesis
youtu.be/atvtBE6t48M

YouTube channels that you should subscribe to:

>Point Blank Music School
youtube.com/channel/UCIWNozFjO8yVdJFsGKVmPgg

>Pensado's Place
youtube.com/user/PensadosPlace

>SeamlessR (in-depth music production and sound design tutorials, based on FL Studio)
youtube.com/user/SeamlessR

>BusyWorksBeats (same as above, a lot of good new content coming)
youtube.com/user/busyworksbeats

>ADSR Music Production Tutorials
youtube.com/channel/UCf5UKh_cj2_5pUomhyswWYQ

>Justin Omoi
youtube.com/channel/UCMnmXvv9JHJPsrrob-gEn5A

>WarBeats
youtube.com/user/nfxbeats/videos

>Samori Coles (not many videos, but a few good ones on compression and EQ)
youtube.com/user/homestudiotutor/videos

>Modern Mixing
youtube.com/user/ModernMixing/videos

>Image Line Tutorials (for FL Studio users)
youtube.com/user/imageline/playlists

>READ THIS BEFORE ASKING WHERE TO BEGIN

I thought that was the whole point of posting here. If you want people to say nice things, show your friends. If you want people to tell you why your track is shit and how to fix it (or how to do better on the next one), /prod/ is a good starting point.

no

Page 9 reminder to stack your synths

clyp.it/tz5oytrc

Rentboy

I think I made good progress since I posted this regarding production. Any opinions?

>inb4 I sound like Deadmau5

clyp.it/xqc5xsgo

Guys, please help me. What is the main problem here? Arrangement or the mix? I think it sounds pretty clear when I remove the stack chords (jazz voices + synth), but I'm having a hard time EQing it right and balancing everything around it. They take a pretty wide EQ range though, maybe there are too many instruments in similar ranges? I have:

>drums
>guitar + synth sound (the one at the beginning)
>small plucky synth at the top
>one more small guitar in the higher range
>stack chords which are the main sound

clyp.it/ssrnqwsj

What could I do? I always get stuck like this, I'm sick of it.

too busy, make it more minimal and spacious

>clyp.it/ssrnqwsj

Too much going on in the high frequencies also completely missing a bass track that´s why it sounds so empty.

Hm, these seem to be opposite opinions, now I'm even more confused.

I thought that my mix is too muddy and there are too many things playing together, but it may be because of the sounds themselves. I have deep notes in chord stacks, especially starting at 0:36. I don't think there will be a place for a bass in there.

But yeah, I started boosting too much high frequencies because I desperately try to achieve that radio quality sound where things sound very crispy and close to the listener, but now I see that songs I use as a reference actually sound pretty warm, one even has a sharp high cut at 14.5k.

But probably I'm worse at instrumentation and arrangement than I thought, I'll have to recreate some more tracks I guess. Because I watched so many mixing tutorials and nobody needs to work this much to make everything sound listenable, so my problem is probably lying in the instruments themselves.

Any good tutorials on that?

The highs make it unlistenable.

I would high shelve everything above 3k by 7-15 dbs

For starters try to limit yourself to fewer tracks. Your project was pretty ambitious. If you can´t manage to arrange such a full song try to make something more minimal first.

Also have a free frequency monitor:
voxengo.com/product/span/

Use it to make visible what you hear as "sounds not right". You want a balanced spectrum.

You can high cut (wipe out) everything above 10k and it'll sounds fine

ALL OF YOU and particulartly

THIS GUY is why Sup Forums is the worst board on ANY CHAN !

Thanks guys. So, I've reduced a lot of high frequencies (probably overdone it now, though). Basically returned some of the boosts to default and made a high cut on master at around 14.7k.

But I want to be clear with one thing - is the issue really because of the instruments or the mix? Here is a clyp without stack chords, it's pretty clear to hear every other instrument here:

clyp.it/fxrke32t

Is it too much to add anything else on top of that? And here is with added chords again:

clyp.it/ahek1rfg

Fuck you, that guy's a winner and we need more of him

Sounds 100% better but still lacking low frequencies for me. But that might be taste.

That pic was taken during the London Riots in august 2011, I still remember when that picture was floating around Blackberry Messenger, along with some polish guys running away with crates of bread

overcompression

i have a Microkorg and a Scarlett Solo with a Line/Inst input and a XLR Mic input

I can't connect the Line OUT of the synth to the mic or I risk to fry it, so i need a DI Box

if I use a stereo DI Box with balanced cables in the OUTs do you think i could use Mic and Inst without any kind of problem, speaking about quality?

which plugin is that

thank you so much you guys know everything

how to achieve this synth sound with Synth1?

55chan.org/mu/src/1494074514731.mp3

maybe this one below too if it's easy but is that .mp3 one that i'm in need
youtube.com/watch?v=AMiYpjE1jVA

why dont you just send mono output from the synth to the line input?

not a plugin just ableton

I'm not sure but I suppose that some presets are better in stereo and could have some left/right difference
anyway if it works well i think i'll eventually buy a mixer and send everything through the dibox to the interface

all of this started from the fact that the sound in the line in of the interface sounds like shit compared to listening to the korg with headphones plugged in and i'm still not sure about what causes this

Why not connect the headphone out to your interface then?

i did it and guess what, it sounds even worse
i cannot manage to make it sound like when i connect the headphones directly to the korg

Sounds like a problem with your interface then. Do you have these problems with other hardware you wire to it too?

Osc 1 to sine, sub to sine -1oct knob at like 40, key shift to 12, mix to 0, both LFOs off, filter frq max, res 0, sat maybe 10 or 7 for some presence, in the amplifier A at 10, S at max, R at 30, chorus on default but set level around 20ish, tempo delay however you want, unison on, detune very low or 0 however you like, pitch +12

That should be the general sound

In Equalizer maybe turn tone to the left if it's too bright, and/or Q to 0 freq up pretty high and level -10db or so.

i didn't connect any other synth so i cannot make comparisons with anything else
the inst line of the interface is supposed to receive balanced input and for what i understood it's not really that different from the mic input (phantom aside)
do you think there are any chances that giving it a balanced input could solve the problem?

Just connect your phone or something to test it. Use the same cable you used with a fitting jack.

>do you think there are any chances that giving it a balanced input could solve the problem?

I don´t know, sorry. Never worked with such gear.

thank you very much for the replies, i'll try
one last question: as far as you know does it really make a difference, at least for most presets, to use stereo or mono in a microkorg and most similar synthetizers?
or doubling it via software gives basically the same result?

calm down, I got roasted and I'm still here.

people in here really like to think they're some type of alpha running shit on a fucking Taiwanese paper mache forum

It's just autistic electronic producers who think everything has to be inaccessible garbage to be good. Using chord progressions that have been used before comes with the territory if you want to make decent pop music, something he'll probably never allow his autistic brain to understand.

It might make a difference. Some presets have built in panning or a stereo swipe. Could be hard to recreate that when recorded in mono. But you can hear that pretty easy, just listen with just one ear to the preset. If it sounds shit it´s stereo.

(while using headphones) that is.

This is why these threads are unreliable.

You have people saying pedestrian stuff is good, and good stuff can get shit on.

This sounds amateur as hell. The hi hat and clap is very basic sounding, doing a basic pattern, with a very subdued kick. Sounds lazy to me. You can use those basic sounds but your hi hat is literally just repeating over and over. The little melody and pad is cool, if a little grating due to some of the higher frequencies, but it could benefit greatly from some drums that supported them better ie more intricate or at least varying patterns.

Could you in return listen to?

maybe that's indeed the actual reason why the interface records a poorer sound, i'll get this DI box, some decent cables and see what happens
thanks!

Of course they are. Nobody here is a pro. But that doesn´t matter. Post like yours are important because they are productive and his post is important because of motivation.

Ha ha yeah bro roast those fags!

I only ever tried to offer honest helpful feedback. I always mixed criticism with what I thought the strong parts of the track were.

If you want a circlejerk go hang out in the soundcloud threads.

i am flume though? not pro enough for you? I swear i'm never good enough for anyone on here, all my wips get roasted :( ffs m808

giz a tip then m8

git gud cunt.

nah but have you, like, tried, uh, not sounding like everyone else? worked for me. like stick a phaser on the master and see what happens bruh. or maybe you can use detuned sine waves? Damn.

if you really are flume: when u write a song with vocals how much hassle is it to contact a good singer and make sure theyre right for the song etc

Well since everyone circle jerks over me for being so "unique", not much of a hassle. With my latest release "Hyperreal", I picked Kucka because of her futuristic, bjork-like vocals, which I felt suited the vibe of the song incredibly well. You should probably work on developing your own soundset before getting a vocalist.

>roasted
I wasn't aware we let retards post in these thread now.

Why are producers so bitter? "I could do that all you have to do is this" and yet they're posting shit-tier wips here.

how do i find these settings on the panel

this

sarcasm m808.

i have a tascam dr40 and i get white noise in the headphones that's not there in the actual recordings... is the headphone amp starting to go or something?

they're all labelled

i appreciate the feedback. i made it after watching a couple tutorial videos so I wasn't really aiming to make anything finished

does this get noticeably out of tune at any point?
clyp.it/kfmxazxc

is this what people on /prod/ do
clyp.it/hsgsteco

What do you think about it now, guys? I added the bass.

clyp.it/tv4qhq4u

The good thing is that the harmonic progression is a lot clearer now, don't about the sound I chose, it's just some Omnisphere preset at the moment. I never know what type of instrument would feel right. E.g. that high synth in the chords are actually jazz trumpets in my mind, but I don't have any at the moment.

But I simply can't help myself with the fact that stacked chords simply don't sound like they fit well into the mix.

If the chords all start and end at the same time and are lined up to the grid that's bad, it sounds robotic, you need to loosen it up, and the tempo automate it to go slightly out, also velocity of notes should change more

Yeah, I'll definitely do that, I've just done some automation to the volume, but it's not perfect yet. But I feel that either the sounds or just the EQ is not right, they don't feel like a part of the song to me now, but maybe I've listened to it for too long, I need some fresh ears.

You have to ignore the grid to get something sounding played and natural. It took me 5 years to realise this.

just use the humanizer brah

What I'll probably do is just rerecord myself playing everything on a MIDI. There is no amount of automation which can replace that.

I have to actually finish a song now, spent 2 days trying to make this sound listenable and I bet now I'll get a writer's block again.

why's a human gotta use a tool to make their human inputs sound human

just turn off the grid, get a feel for shifting notes forward or backward

if you're on ableton you can use groove pool

cause it was programmed to the midi grid instead of played

so how do you use it correctly then?
(different poster than )

You set the threshold to catch most of what shoots too high in amplitude, adjust the attack and release so it doesn't sound pumpy or smashed.

Look up how to use a compressor, it's the same concept just over different frequency bands.

bump

I'd like to apologize for calling you guys retards. This is me. That was uncalled for.

suh dudes, i've been trying to master this track but the nature of the instruments are so fucking retarded i couldn't bring it above -7 LUFS. do you guys think this is loud enough?

clyp.it/ydnly5hk

post your synth/instrument vst waifu

still this guy after 6-ish years, and i've used or demoed most of the big ones. it has a really good clean sound and it's insanely flexible. i prefer it over serum even. only downside is that the wavetables are a bit dated so you can't do the craziest most cutting-edge sound design that you can with some of the newer stuff

Omnisphere 2