FIND THE DESIGN FLAW

FIND THE DESIGN FLAW

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/rLDgQg6bq7o
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Bonus Points for suggesting a permanent fix

Now im retarded when it comes to engineering, but id say the wires?

you found the problem, now can you see the cause ?

>bmw
found the flaw

you must be american

hint, the stick is in 2 different positions in the left and right pictures. left is drive, right is sport (manual)

You Must be a normie

Besides the wires that looked like they got pinched and cut?

focus user. find the CAUSE not the problem

Some of those wires are wicked jacked up. I assume thats being caused by the stick maxxing them out when you move the stick all the way left. Not sure how thats cutting them though.

Just guessing

overextension and flexure, wires are too short.

you're absolutely right user

the wires are stressed from moving the stick between those positions and eventually wear out and break.

on top of that, when shifting gears with steptronic, the only way to get it back in to sports mode is to center the stick and move it to the left again.

it's a nice action after doing a sporty maneuver, but it is clearly very taxing on the wires.

pretty much this, either that or they arent supposed to be stuck in that crevice at all.

spot on user

i fixed it with some heat shrink and some extra wire, but I'm afraid it will just fail again over time.

anyone have some suggestions for a more permanent fix ?

that's where they're supposed to be, i found it to be a common problem, more ppl on bimmer forums had the same issue.

glad it was an easy fix, garage was telling me it would cost a few hundred $ to fix at least.

not being a mechanic, i spent most time figuring out how to remove all the darn panels, which turned out to be quite easy.

Sweet! Unfortunately that's probably about all you can do. Use good quality wire with as mush slack as possible and wrap it really good
with electrical tape.

much

is what i did, have the extra cable in a little extra turn, so there isn't as much tension on them when in sports, but they keep moving ofc, so..

dealer said it's probably a wire fault, and wanted to replace the entire wire harness btw ..

That's gonna happen no matter what, you just have minimize the stress which it sounds like you have. Just go easy on it user and it should last a while.

a Sup Forums-tard has already explained this, dumbass.
youtu.be/rLDgQg6bq7o

of course they did!

Ho ho ho, that actuator is just asking for it.

a few hundred $ sounds a bit expensive for some wire and a few connectors, no ..

Yea cause there is no way they were gonna do the fix you did. Even though thats all it needed

Using shit grade cast/powdered metal on anything

non visible parts with no mechanical load, as if any other car manufacturer would do a better job

>go easy on it

guess i'll have to

It is but that's how dealerships roll!

made in China

rotary engines suck cock OP

unless you want to keep fixing it right?

My god that is far more complicated than the shifter on my 97 civic.

missing its rotator splint

I find it difficult to believe the BMW engineered a shift with such a fundamental flaw.

I'd be inclined to remove the shift assy from the tunnel and check that some previous owner hasn't done some repair and reassembled the shifter incorrectly.

The failure mode is too obvious and if it was a design fault, the warranty returns would soon drive BMW into a fix and recall, as wires failing when driving would not be a good owner experience.

well it won't fail again any time soon, it's just a really bad way to connect those parts

Because fancy BMW

i found more ppl with the same problem on bimmer forums, pictures showed the exact same installation

That's good! I agree, very poor design but at least it works now eh?

yeah, i'll just take pleasure from the fact that i saved me some money, and leave it like it is now

german car, so it is actually surprising to see a flaw like this

Hell Yeah! Godspeed user!

thanks user