Why does everyone want me to feel bad about picking a music related career?

Why does everyone want me to feel bad about picking a music related career?

I'm studying to be an audio engineer in Seattle and whenever I tell people this they say

>Good luck finding a job
>Why don't you become a doctor or study buissiness

I just want to do something that makes me happy. Audio engineers make an average of 50k-70k a year which is perfectly fine for the kind of life I want.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/gsL6tMM5hJg
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

good luck finding a job

why don't you become a doctor or study business?

Go for it dude - but they have a right to worry. Audio engineering is 7th of the top ten most competitive / difficult to find jobs in the country, and being a musician is 2nd. It's got nothing to do with salary, you need to be really good, not just at engineering and producing, but at networking and socializing too.

Good luck at it mate, just know it's a proper uphill battle.

Doing something you like is a meme everyone wanted to fall for but most couldn't.
Also it's a meme for a reason.

I know this and have many really good and strong connections with people who are also successful audio engineers. If I keep their connections I'm sure I can find a job through them.

I've only been doing it for two years and I'm already pretty prepared. I just hate the stigma against it. It discourages me sometimes.

I mean just for starters this should also qualify you to run a sound board at a club right? I mean how could it not? So then how the fuck would you not be able to find a job in fucking Seattle. Not to mention Seattle recording industry is doing pretty well right now especially if you like metal. And what the fuck does "study business" mean? Thats a complete Eisenhower mentality. "Durr I'm gonna get a make money degree" and they think doctors just magically make money? Have fun paying back student loans for literally the rest of your life no hyperbole.

Exactly. I'm in the perfect city to do this kind of work. What I like about audio engineering is that it is applicable to almost anything relating to sound so I have a lot of options and not one specific thing.

Follow your heart m8

Thank you sir

Good point, you want an insider tip? Hold onto your butt: sound proofing. And not to mention the city is perfect but that entire portion of the country. You're not exactly court ordered to stay in Seattle. You have ready access to the entire west coast. Here and I'll post another insider tip too.

Seriously. I spent 3 years trying to be a web developer, and just hit a brick wall. It's not what I want to do with my life. So I'm pursuing audio engineering. It's 'harder', but I'm actually motivated to it, so it never feels harder.

Do you mean setting up sound proofing in studios for other people or on my own? I have yet to do this, so far my bed and jackets hanging on the wall have done okay but there is still some echoes and the bass coming from my LSR 305's sound a little lost.

Definitely investing in some this year.

Go for it OP. Most people in the world don't follow their dreams and end up living miserable lives because they feel they have to. Whether it works out or not doesn't matter, at least you tried.

Oh well first of all you have a lot to learn if you did that to block sound. It's another thing to reduce echo to improve recording quality. But no I'm really specifically talkin g about blocking sound and really taking that concept as far as you can imagine. Our world is getting smaller not bigger. You may be possible to put yourself in a position to build a billion dollar empire. Sounds crazy but it's true. Maybe. And that's just one of the applications. Total mastery of sound, think about it. I'd say that's a valid skill set.

Should have gone for comp sci future barista

*you would have a lot to learn if

You clearly said you did that for echo so I misspoke.

Its kind of shitty if they're making you feel bad about it, but it's VERY hard to find a steady paycheck doing it.

I have a friend doing it in LA, been there about two years, and he and his girlfriend have a hard time making ends meet. He doesn't work everyday, and they live in a tiny apartment above some old lady who chain smokes. He likes doing it, but he's getting worried that he might have to come back home.

Im not saying this to discourage you. If you have good connections, you have an advantage over said friend. But you should know that, like with any career in music, you're usually working twice as hard, for less money than everyone else. If you're good at what you do, and you're passionate, you can make it. But be prepared to live off of scraps for a few years and put up with a lot of pompous dickweeds before finding something good

hell, even if this doesn't go well you can switch tracks to something that's very similar that utilizes the skills learned. not everyone has to be a STEMlord.

user, you sound smart and prepared and this sounds like something you care about. you're already better than 80 percent of this website, so just keep going. you don't need a bunch of retards to validate what you want to do. especially not me: the guy who's currently eating cereal out of the box with his hands.

youtu.be/gsL6tMM5hJg

Is this true

Yes
>tfw you happen to be autistic enough to enjoy comp sci
Feels good man

If you have connections you're already leagues ahead of people who have nothing.
>Be me
>18 years old
>Creepy old man invites me to radio station
>I go
>Start learning radio stuff
>Hang out there for a couple years
>Start going on air
>Getting more comfortable with the radio boards and telephones
>Lined up for possible board op job
>Tfw I have connections and other people I know don't even know what a radio board is

It's all about connections and who you know.

As long as you have connections you're good. I've studying Sound Engineering for years and I'm about a year away from finishing and being set free into the industry. Of the 30 or so people I know from m course, about 5 go out and look for work and connect with professional sound engineers.
The industry is over-saturated but you have to take into account that there are people like the 25 I know who will sit on their ass, pass their exams and expect a paying job just because a piece of paper tells an employers that they know how to mix.
As for the people telling you to study other shit, they don't live your life so fuck 'em. Do what makes you happy.