I'm retarded. The thing moves horizontally then splits into A and B, 1.5kg and 2.5kg respectively...

I'm retarded. The thing moves horizontally then splits into A and B, 1.5kg and 2.5kg respectively. How the fuck do I get Va and Vb? Stuck after getting the horizontal conservation of momentum equation.

Just make a vector triangle and use sine/cosine laws.

Energy conservation? U have the heigth and weight u can find the energy of both pieces. Then with kinetic energy formula u find the velocity

1/2 * (m_1 + m_2) = KE_T

KE_T = KE_1 + KE_2

1/2 * m_1*v_2^2 = KE_1
1/2 * m_2*v_2^2 = KE_2

Solution for v is then
v_N = ± (sqrt(2) sqrt(KE_N))/sqrt(m_N)

where N is the number corresponding to the mass spun away

Then you have simply;

v_N_x = cos(theta) * v_N
v_N_y = sin(theta) * v_N

And you solve these like you solve any projectile motion equation

Here is how I would do it with a momentum approach. Check this guy's method to see if you get the same answer.

You got the horizontal cons of mom equation. So find the same for the vertical components and rearrange so both are in terms of Va. Then you substitute one into the other to cancel Va terms to solve Vb, and vice versa

How do you begin to try to use conservation of momentum to get 2622m/s and 3091m/s out of that

7.2 MJ's of energy originally, then after your working...

>2622^2* 0.5 * 2.5 + 0.5* 3091^2*1.5 =
>15.759315 MJ's,

nearly double the energy originally in the system.

Doesn't mention whether collision is elastic or not

what is this autistry I've stumbled upon

You fucking mong even if it is elastic the energy conservation alone proves you can't have these particle speeds

If it was plastic in deformation they would go even SLOWER

Alcohol is the solution.

Stop being such a fag and go get laid. None of this shit will ever help you.

Projectile could have exploded

I agree the values seem large, but I think my working is correct. It might be to do with the fact that A is going 'backwards'

Has your 2400 become 2900 somewhere in there?

I think it is my bad hand writing, I put 2400 in the calculator.

OP here. I get very similar values using horizontal and vertical momentum equations. They seem huge. I also have to find the distance d_A and with a V_A of 3079 m/s I get just over 967 km. What the fuck.

I'm not sure, this seems like an example of the teacher making up values to put in their problems.
It's the fact that Va goes backwards if they both headed in the same direction they would be going around 800m/s

Yeah, got 974km for d_a and 50.91m for d_b, something is not right with this question.

I dont get you physics majors. Are you just trying to kill yourself?

This isn't even physics this is first year pussy dynamics

You fucking mongs, WHY do you need conservation of momentum? It's not specified, just use energy equivalence and then do normal projectile motion

Show full working for energy, then we will believe you it can be done that way