I have overcome a 7 year depression

I have overcome a 7 year depression

Ask me anything

bump

isn't it weird how people will say "just stop being so sad"
and people will respond "depressed people can't just stop being sad, that's the problem"
and feel kind of weird because while "just stop" doesn't make sense, you really can just think your way out of it

What took so long?

Why didn't you kill yourself after you found out and make it a 1 day depression

I am having strong depressing episodes.
I hate to reach help as I don't want to do anything during these episodes.
What should I do ?

Actually that's kinda how I beat my depression. But saying "just stop" is to over simplify it.
It took years, but in the end it was all about just doing stuff and try to not care whether I failed or succeeded

I think it's a great mindset, but it should come from the depressed person. Not the people around him/her

saw lots of different doctors, some good some bad. Tried different meds. Moved around a bit and had different episodes with alot of ups and downs, mostly downs actually.

Everyone is different man. But I guess you spend alot of time just thinking,do you?
Try starting with "organizing" your thoughts. Start asking yourself what really matters and what doesn't

In the end I think it's about finding something you want/like to do without any influence from surroundings.

Just keep trying. Doesn't matter if you fail or succeed

kek

for anything that happens, there are a range of things you can think in response
how I beat my depression was by recognising when I was dwelling on the shitty ideas and forcing myself to consider the opposite

to take an example
when you hear people laughing
it's easy to think they're laughing at you
and to start feeling bad about your appearance or whatever
I would catch myself thinking that and instead think more like
they're friends talking about stuff, it'd be weird if they never laughed
nothing to do with me
and bit by bit, you can pull yourself out this way
you're always gonna be stuck policing yourself
but it's pretty nice not being upset all the time

yes, exactly this

I think that depression is just a pattern, or loop or circuit or whatever in your brain. After a long long time of gradually becoming more and more depressed it's easy to get stuck and think you're powerless

But ultimately I am in control of my own body. And ultimately I decide how I should act. It was hard in the beginning to recognize when I was having an episode and make the choice to try and tackle it

Nowadays if I feel my depression sneaking up on me I instead become angry and imagine myself taking a stranglehold of my feelings. Because I somehow think it's easier to manage my anger than it is to manage my depression.
So yes, I become angry instead, but I am in control. And that's when I can decide to start filtering out all the 'noise' and focus on what's making me feel that way and how to tackle it

Isn't it weird how people think depression is an illness?

It's literally just you being a bitch about things. The solution to stop being depressed is to try new things.

That's it.

Try new things until you find something you like. Then do said thing.

Like fuck, it's not like you've got an incurable disease or even a real reason to be so sad. It's just your body not knowing what to do with itself. Just give it something to fucking do.

>Just do something

It's not easy dude.

nah, it's still an illness
mental illness still counts
your brain is part of your body just like an arm or a leg is
same for your chemicals and hormones and shit
the problem is that people like to think they're in control of brain stuff like thoughts and feelings but often we're really not
if your brain gets jacked up in a way that makes it really hard to un-fuck then you can be stuck like that for a long ass time

and not being able to do things can be one of the reasons you got like that in the first place
not everyone has the money, freedom or opportunity for that kind of thing

Not that easy. It's more weird that you think every depression is the same

If I weren't depressed, I'd punch the shit out of you

ADHD is pretty fun

What the fuck is neutral?

When are you ever, nutral?

Fuck neutral

I have a problem with depression too, but it's not all of the time, like some days I'll wake up and be fucking AMPED!!! but by the next day or after a few days It gradually gets worst to the point of having to drink myself to sleep and having suicidal thoughts, and then it just starts over.

Any Ideas of what's my problem?

doing mundane stuff without being bored I guess?

I feel where you are coming from and it might be true for a lot of people...but nah bro it's a thing

Did you no fap?

You need money to do things btw

2 part:

1) What makes you think your struggles are any worse than anyone else's? Is it that you think that you deserve to be absolutely, consistently happy at all times?

2) Why do you think you deserve a gold medal for doing what everyone else does?