How do you feel about colorization?

How do you feel about colorization?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=QXifjbxZDAM
i.huffpost.com/gen/1474922/original.jpg
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

its alright as long as they dont force it as much as they do right now
I mean, Black female Iron-man and muslim Captain England? at least make new heroes if you're going to force propaganda

It is not bad but how do they know what colour something is?

Computers are able to detect what colour certain shades of black, white and grey were

There's sometimes descriptions of attires, colored photographs of the set/actors or common sense.

Almost always horrendous, and often paired with shit pan and scan versions of classic films. No wonder people think older movies suck if they've only seen Ted Turner's raped versions.

Very good. Have a (you)

It washes out with how based TCM is.

>altering films so that plebs find them more watchable
Disgusting, also colorized films always look off, unnatural and fake to the point of distraction

You have to remember that, nearly all b&w movies were made to be in b&w. This meant that the film had to be crafted in a certain way so that it looked perfect in colour. Colorizing a b&w film sort of ruins the hard work that the makers put into it.

It really is a big FUCK YOU to the film crew, especially the Director of Photography

It's like someone took my favorite movie and scribbled crayons all over it - Roger Ebert

How the fuck do they do it? That's incredible. Oh unless the movie was native in color already.

>not turning on black and white filter on VLC when you watch a kino
that's how you watch kino tbfh

See

Here's a question for you - is it still bad if a director originally intended to film in color but was unable and then allows it to colorized later on?

This. I don't think anyone really expected movies to be in color in the early days. Hell, nobody expected sound pictures to catch on at all. So of course they made films with the mindset of working within those limitations. to colorize a movie made in the b&w mindset just ruins it, imo.

Now, if its an older color film and everything looks like shit, I'd understand if you'd want to go in an touch it up digitally.

>He didn't film his magnum opus in Technicolor

Not him but the director has to deal with the fact that he couldn't shoot the film in color and move on.

Doesn't matter. Lighting, filming, and even set design in black and white is a whole other beast from color. It would look shit in black and white if they filmed it for color, and it would look shit if it was shot for black and white and then colorized. You can't win in that situation.

Here's one for you.
It is bad if a director originally intended to film with CG but was unable to, and then allows all the practical creatures, effects and monsters to be replaced later on?

such a great movie

>Obvious George Lucas and Speilberg reference
The main problem with the Star Wars special editions is that we're not given the choice

>filter on VLC

>using VLC

> Not using VLC
> Obsessing over options I don't care about.

All very true

It's interesting how in black-and-white films, they have to be very careful about the set design because some colors and patterns look bad or distracting when filmed with a black-and-white camera.

but some movies were supposed to have color.

Once a movie is released the director has no say in what it should look like.

If it's a director's cut, fine, but the released movie is the released movie, there are no do-overs.

>VLC pleb filter

not really, i thought we got past that program/OS severally, but then the old DC marvel riverally came back too...

kids, wonder when Nerd vs Jock will come back.

The point still stands.
The people falls in love with the FIRST finished product. Audience never care, nor sould care, if the movie is a "Sketch untill better technology comes so I can fill in this awesome ideas I couln't make" for the director.
What people should care, is the difference between intendend production forced vision vs director's cuts; and production and screen time vs extended scenes.

except that once you know it won't be in color, the process changes. The way it is lit and photographed must be modified accordingly. The way you film a B&W film is different from filming in color. There is no going back

REEEEEEEEE ORIGINAL INTENT ORIGINAL INTENT

IT IS A VISUAL DUB FOR THE FILM FUCK OFF

>No wonder people think older movies suck if they've only seen Ted Turner's raped versions

Didn't Wells say on his deathbed, "Tell that man to keep his crayons away from my films"?

mpc-hc with madVR gives significantly better image quality than vlc

takes 5 seconds to set up

Fiction. No.

ww2 documentary. Yes.

As long as the original is still available. Nothing wrong with having options.

Something like that. Fucking Ted turner. He's like Clamp from Gremlins 2 but far far more sinister.

this

no need for getting upset about such nonsense
it's not like everyone is as retarded as george lucas and makes special editions the only editions

If the director wanted it to be in color he would have filmed it that way.

Honestly, this.
People nowadays seem to forget about the importance of the author's original intent when it comes to any work of art.

I bet you didn't think Lucas had the right to alter his own movies either. Fucking autist. They're not your movies and if you love the original so much its still there.

>MPC-HC is not developed for free, as in freedom, operating systems.
No thanks.

>settling for inferior software
Well, okay.

What's really weird about that is that George actually protested Turner's colorization of old movies and then proceeded to fuck up his movies a few years later.

I still think there're original masters out there somewhere though.

This

Just like BetaMAX had better quality then VHS

It's still there through shitty looking VHS or some fan's re-edit of the blu-ray.

I didn't say he had no right to re-edit the movie, I didn't even mention lucas.

They couldn't but the point still stands, they knew they couldn't film in color and Jesus Christ I bet you fuckers would colorize film noir...

will i FINALLY get my colorized frances ha?

Not really applicable here

madVR is a powerful, gpu-assisted rendering method on top of mpc-hc just being flat out better than VLC to begin with

>Computers are able to detect what colour certain shades of black, white and grey were

Bullshit.

Lol no this is WRONG. Black and white doesn't have enough information to get accurate RGB colors. At its very best, colorization is educated guesswork.

If that was the case you'd see SO much more colorization going on.

No that's bullshit. They can make estimations based on what they know about the film and lighting, as well as colour still photos of production. A computer can aid in all this but it's still very arbitrary.

>Settling for a life of bondage and servitude.
You can be free if you just try, my son.

Not at the moment. Whoever finds an algorithm to accurately do that would probably become a millionaire.

I liked MPC too but it's simply a bitch with some formats, sorry. VLC works 100% of the time all the time. I barely ever have to fuck with anything. Also it looks perfect, stop being such a faggot cuck.

A 2006 DVD release had both the remastered and theatrical versions of the original trilogy.

No. The theatrical version was not THE theatrical version. It was an upscan of some print, but not the masters. Masters are long gone.

As far as we know...

Sort of. The masters on there were the laserdiscs, not the master reel itself. It's a good basis for remastering though, so I think Harmy's remasters used a lot of the footage from those.

From Autismpedia:

>ControversyEdit
>Although fan reaction to the announcement of the DVDs was largely positive, upon release many fans felt that they had once again been played by George Lucas. The DVDs used non-anamorphic video sourced from the 1993 LaserDisc releases, which was nowhere near the same quality as the remastered versions of the films present in the 2004 boxset.

youtube.com/watch?v=QXifjbxZDAM
this explains pretty well the issue

That's why I said "I bet". A director always has the right to alter their movie.

He had a "right" in the sense of however much of the film he owned. However he's still a faggot.

If Van Gogh crawled out his grave and went about vandalizing all his art, using the argument it's HIS art and fuck you that's why, it's not like anyone would clap for the guy. He'd probably be at the least, detained.

Black and White film makers would use weird mixtures of colors for sets that make no sense on color film because of how it looks in black and white. They used bright pinks and golds for the set of the Addams family not because they house was supposed to be those colors but because when filmed in in black and white it gave a good range and variety of gray tones. Using computer to try to match those colors would be useless since you wouldn't want to go with the original colors.
i.huffpost.com/gen/1474922/original.jpg

Jesus, that's not what I ever expected

How did they color the movies? Does some guy actually color in each frame by hand?

Yeah, even in the old B/W Superman show they had to use different muted colors in order to get good grayscale color separation.