Anyone that uses windows or osx, how does it feel to just use a proprietary application? With linux...

Anyone that uses windows or osx, how does it feel to just use a proprietary application? With linux, we use our computers, not watered down graphical interface. Vent fans

You meant to say gnu/linux right?

What else would I mean?

Well Linux is just the kernel handling the instructions. And also depending on your dist you too could use proprietary driver and applications.

emacs

>using bash in 2017

i really like linux because typing in the terminal makes me feel like a hacker.. it's also pretty fast when you get used to it. however, downloading/setting up patches and drivers for hardware is a PAIN IN THE FUCKING ASS on linux. that's always what i get caught on

>not using ubuntu

Most hardware support need proprietary drivers in this day and age. Backend drive is far from the point of this post. Linux is the kernel. GNU is the combination of systematically stable infestructure regarding the kernel

>because typing in the terminal makes me feel like a hacker
How old are you user, fucking ten?

>using ubuntu
>ever

Ubuntu is trying to be windows on the Linux kernel. It is a shitted up OS full of bloatware. It's absolute bottom-tier.

I use Debian.

Debian is the future for geeks.

Ubuntu is fucking face roll. Yes, I do use a Debian based front end, but not Ubuntu

Linux? WTF OpenBSD or FreeBSD. Get a real OS

Jokes on you OP...I run a triple boot PC running Win7, OSX and Manjaro. On a single hdd with no bootcamp.

Yes, Debian master race. Debian + gnome 3....she's sexy

You are literally bottom of the totem pole. Have fun with your bootloader

GNU means "Gay, not Unix"

Are you guys like, allergic to vagina?

You don't use any GUIs...??

let me guess
>19
>hasn't shaved or showered in weeks
>just learned about arch linux
>"Wow my hardware is running faster"
>only uses command lines from now on
>downloaded a command line browser
>had to download drivers to import image from flash drive

kys and use debian

Absolutely. Slack/netBSDfag reporting in. From a windows session, just in the hope that it triggers some of those ficking ubuntu/mint wankers who think their opinions weigh more than a warm fart made of hydrogen.

>using emacs in 1993
>using emacs in 2005
>using emacs in 2017
cult

kek at this cultier cult gayer gay fag

>no bootcamp
Are you retarded. It's just a shiny polish over parted

Also
>Putting all of your shit on a single disk and being proud of it

Nobody said unix... Unix is dead, Unix like is alive and kicking

>literal hipster hipsters

>mac
>not bash

lol gtfo leaf

Gnome 3 is best

It's too complicated for nothing and you can't vidya
What is the point except for TAILS etc

well it's true, terminals are dope

>literal professionals who actually use this shit 8 hrs a day and get paid for it

Checked

I'm also a Raspberry Pi robot maker, so it was a nice surprise that they settled on Raspbian.

I have no idea about Ubuntu, but I don't think it's for me. I think they gear that shit for the Windows users to feel at home.
I spend most of my time in terminal, so the GUI for me is secondary but yeah Gnome 3 is the one.

I will walk all over you in bash script, fucking off

>Debian

that is, Debora + Ian.

Ian is dead.

Debora, who knows where she is.

But literally bazillion of .deb files are out there in the internet usurping her name.

only to ill/wrecked/illegal/old ones

I like how my gui looks and it's easier for me since I don't understand bash

lol ok then

where?
what "Unix"? Aix? Xenix? SCO? HP/UX?

But you have no control

future is just:

Linux kernel + Systemd + apps written in Rust.

nobody talked about Qubes OS, the safest Linux system out there

I started on Berkeley's kernel to learn bash, then migrated to GNU/Linux in the redhat days

>rust
kys.py

Linux runs pretty much web server and game server because it's free. The internet is pretty much powered by people who know how to use Linux

For home use it's pretty retarded tho

>python instead of ruby

you won the Gay Faggot Award prize of the month!

BSD is still amazing, anons

Ruby is fun, so is python

8/10 of the world's super computers run a Linux kernel. Fact

fucking ruby fags
>sucking japanese dick and pretending ruby is strong-typed
>spends 6 hours writing a script to automate anything

be carefull with those edges

>vim user detected

Python has way more application

What I pray to one day see is for Linux Ubuntu Debian or anyone for that matter make a Windows replacement that can run the same software but simple for the masses and those who don't have time (unfortunately me). Then and only then will I sit back content as I watch Microsoft crash and burn for their shitty business practices. Oh and no one gives two shits about osx. Unless your LGBT. But no one gives a shit about them either.

well because linux is easy to modify unlike the other os. not because it is specificly better

Ubuntu as TONS of front-end support already, I will give them that. But pure Debian is the way to go if you know your shit

Fucking unity. That shit is faceroll.

you'd better pray against bloat.
that is:
-against x86 & compatible processors
-against x86 chipsets
-against arm ecosystem, especially arm64

>downloaded a command line browser
Why do you hate Lynx user?

>only to ill/wrecked/illegal/old ones
>illegal
You think?

tl,dr: apple = gay, linux = Sup Forums, windows = normie

Why are linux people so "uh muh superior os" your the athiests of operating systems.
You'e just got to be different so you can feel smart.

unix ftw
>macOS (basically unix) is after windows the most popular os
>free BSD fuck yeah

Why use the unix copy "linux", if you can have the original?
plebs

Simply put, stability regarding hardware function is key. My unix-like BASH design will outlive your shitty wanna-be DOS

No, please still use BSD. I can attest, every BSD variant has been amazing. I still use openBSD

Even if you're using Linux, you're:

1. Sticking to terminal, in which case you're either a maladjusted has-been who believes multicore processors are a passing fad and unironically likes "Pepperridge farm remembers" or an ultrahipster lugging arround a 20 pounds typewriter to the college campus coffeshop to work on xirs Hemigwayesque wannabe novel.

B) Using a GUI, which is basicly using Windows but with four times the problems and a quarter of the software support, all while being surprisingly proprietary in spite of the hurr durr open source claim to fame.

Either way, some people buy furniture and some people wander off into the forest with a spork, a square inch of sandpaper, and dubiously high levels of self confidence. To each his own.

>not just typing binary into assembly

Fucking casuals

its really only superior if you're doing more in-depth computer shit, if you're looking for something to make art on or just do officework it's stupid to install linux on a perfectly fine windows/mac machine imo

the anti-terminal faggots always forget that if you want to communicate over any channel you always go serial.

that is, you won't configure a pioneer 11 using its "dialogbox macos windoze interface".
they only talk serially. like a terminal.

It is clear you do not know open-end script and do not fully understand how a shell commands a kernel. Try again dude. Your big words make you look retarded

Because the kernel is already fucking developed, can be used and modded for free.

It's hard to make a fucking kernel.

Nerdiest moment of my life:
>be 15
>in tech room at school
>trying to recompile kernel on an LCII
>took upwards of 10 days
>friend walks in:
>Oh cool, DOS
>nerd voice:
>It's not DOS, it's LINUX
>many keks

If it's so easy then why is not more implemented? I would sage your post you fucking idiot

No, it is not "hard" to make a kernel. I wrote my first kernel in other grade. It was based on start trek chain of command.

>Configuring 70's tech is my lifelong dream!
See >captcha: rotary brasil
Yeah I bet you use a rotary phone wheel instead of a keyboard you huehuenigger

Windows users are so triggered by not having control of their systems

hold on, I'm compiling this the 28th time after downloading a dubious workaround from a backwater 5_users_registered_alltime_forum that's supposed to fix the 4.28.32990 beta build_of_friday_evening of my fucking printer driver that somehow conflicts with wallpapers that are too pink

T. you

>bash
>emacs
>ubuntu
>ruby

> oh wow I can telnet my school
Fuck off

>Implying Windows users know what a system even is.

Anyone knowing how to use Hooks?
I need help to handle the windows key. I'm at a.. ok level, since I'm learning by myself.

Also, C# .net

My boot loader has been problem free since I got it all setup. Granted, it was a bitch to get working right, but now it works flawlessly

What's wrong with the OS' being on a single drive? I have an image of the install backed up in case of catastrophic failure.
It's 2017....no reason to not run a RAID 0+1

This is definitely not bait

SGI Octane w/IRIX

Get on my level faggots

>t. I haven't used a *nix system since 1996

>All these newfags not running COBOL

Feelsbadman, wish i understood half the shit posted ITT but dont have time to learn. Always liked computers too, was gonna go into computer science in college till i realised i live in a PC piece of shit country and computer science classes are filled with fat whores who dream about "building muh own website". Sad part is those fucks get admitted because they spent highschool studying 24/7 and have good grades in everything but math and physics.

>COBOL
Get on my level pleb.

do you also cut your own hair? faggot

>implying 21 years changed anything in that regard

analogy is not analogous
strrrrike1

Blackarch.

QED

Punch cards kek! Touchè faggot! Well played sir.

Raspbian is bloated as fuck.

Arch ftw.

It's also easier to set up an environment for cross compilation.