How am I supposed to take this album seriously...

How am I supposed to take this album seriously? I tried listening to it expecting something devastating like Joy Division or HaNL, but the lyrics came off to me like he's got a bad case of yellow fever rather than being depressed.

Maybe you think about depression in a different way from Kozelek.

during some of the worst times of my life, i was, what i thought was very close friends with this one guy i had known in high school. we were both writers and would exchange our work with each other a lot, and have long, heady conversations about literary theory in the dumbfuck way that only a 19 year old can.

i thought this was the closest relationship i was ever in.

so during this time, i had just gotten out of the hospital for being suicidal, and i had to drop out of school for a while. this affected absolutely everything in my life, especially my writing, as you can imagine. my friend? was loving this. it made my writing so real, and dark, and tortured. he created a character based on me in his prose-poem epic. not a main character, obviously. the main character was a guy who was part dolphin and had a dolphin penis and he was super alienated because of this. are you with me so far?

now, during this time, this guy was my best friend, right? so you must be thinking that of course he would want to know how i was doing, he would want to be sure that my recovery was going well, that i was staying safe and taking care of myself. nope! the entire time that we were friends, he never, not once, ever asked how i was. he never called to make sure i was all right, even when i very obviously was not. he didn't care. he only cared about me to the extent that i could be some kind of muse to the worst fucking writing anybody's probably ever written. only, and he never hesitated to remind me of this, it was such a shame that i was so ugly and unfuckable. you know, like all the best muses. but you know, maybe one day he'll feel bad for me and let me give him a blow job or something. then he'd care about me! apparently, this tantalizing option being dangled in front of my face worked pretty well because i thought this was the best that friendship was ever gonna get for me.

anyway, eventually we stopped talking and eventually, i found friends who actually cared about me, and i was in an actual loving relationship (with somebody who's not a man! can you imagine???), and so i eventually realized that that guy treated me like absolute shit for years and i didn't deserve it.

don't worry by the way. that guy is doing excellent and is engaged to be married to a woman who is far too good for him and is excelling in law school. he will never have to answer for what he did to me. i hope he gets hit by a bus and the bus driver gets made into a national hero.

that guy is exactly who mark kozelek is. this album is written from the perspective of that guy. this is the worst album in history.

maybe first explain why you "can't" take this seriously, how that decision is so hard for you, then we can help

Here's your (You)

Also, RHP self titled is one of the most respected albums on Sup Forums. Kozelek's description of depression really accurately captures being a depressed guy in their early 20s late teens

>Joy Division and HaNL are more depressing than Down Colorful Hill

Sounds more like you have a bad case of yellow fever than being depressed

>something devastating like Joy Division or HaNL
>HaNL
if you can take a clown like dan barrett seriously you should be able to appreciate this

>not being wooed into a dark funk by 24
>not wanting to scream in pain after hearing the chorus of medicine bottle
>not having that optimistic feel to Japanese To English
>not having that slightly depressing but strangely beautiful nostalgic feel to DCH
>not jamming to Lord Kill The Pain
>not wanting to give Kozelek a hug to Michael

>it's not pasta
you ok dude?

fuck off

These are the bests posts on Sup Forums so far this year

24 and Michael is actually pretty convincing in its depressedness, but when he starts talking about relationships that's when its hard for me to take him seriously.

I mean don't get me wrong, the music is grea there is no denying that, but for the most part it sounds more like love album than sad album, and it failed to give me emphatic feeling. Medicine Bottle lyrics just sound like "waah waah wheres my gf". Even Disintegration or Hospice is more sad than this.

Also
>Of a different god and moral What if I laid my head down on your stomach Or put my mouth to your hand
Le pure azn grill r best grill amirite?

Stop posting

>something devastating like Joy Division or HaNL
lolz

listen to Jandek or something

Holy shit, now I have to hear it

funny post,,, lsten to benji then, it's sadder. DCH makes me apathetic I donno about you guys

NO ITS FUCKING NOT FUCK FUCK THIS THREAD FUCK EVERYONE ON THIS BOARD FUCK FUCK FUCK

how is benji not sadder I normally cry at Carissa and Jim Wise and Micheline which is pretty incredible given that they're spread out

you're just mad bc he sings about being in a relationship lmao

great stuff thank you

Dude what the fuck, Medicine Bottle is great because it doesn't even need to apply to a romantic relationship. In a general sense it's about someone that cannot cope with their own demons, not even to connect on a deeper level with someone they love. Kozelek just can't get over these feelings even though he knows he'll lose his love. Just watch the movie Manchester by the Sea and then listen to this song and it'll click

Did you write this? It's a very good Sup Forums post, assuming it's original

bump

I'm going to listen to this album again after many years, i will cry to it and then jack off and forget everything in the morning. Thanks OP

This album reminds me of the time i threw up pizza on the fucking B train