Can anyone tell me why the AR-15 is not the perfect home defense gun?

Can anyone tell me why the AR-15 is not the perfect home defense gun?

pro tip: you can't

Man reportedly kills three teens with AR-15 during Wagoner County home invasion attempt

Updated: Mar 27, 2017 - 6:46 PM

According to officials with the Wagoner County Sheriff's Office, three masked people broke into the house through the back door with the intent of burglarizing the home.

Officials say the homeowner's young adult son killed all three with an AR-15.

fox23.com/news/three-killed-in-wagoner-county-shooting/506461840

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Oklahoma
buckeyefirearms.org/handgun-stopping-power
youtube.com/watch?v=_gVGrzb7En0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Because shotguns exist.
I'd rather have an ar-15 to go to battle but if i'm strictly defending my home from assailants i'd take a shotgun over an ar-15 any day of the week

This. For close quarters home defense I would take my shotgun, or even my handgun over my AR-15.

Shotguns are definitely a fine home defense weapon.

This shotgun

It's an awful home defense weapon.

LOL that's hysterical

i bet those kids won't be robbing houses any more

This guy. A 12ga won't go through 3 walls and kill someone you didn't intend to.

You'll shoot thru your neighbors houses.

I mean I don't really think it matters what gun you're using if you're just gonna use it to mow down unarmed kids who are probably just out of luck and don't think they have any other choice.
But whatever, muh justice.

They both have their pros and cons. Shotguns hold less rounds, but can be more lethal at closer ranges.

I'm 51. I got my first gun, a .22, when I was 5. I've gotten many guns over the years and still have them all. The 22 is the best all purpose gun, period. If the world ended tomorrow and I could only choose one gun it would absolutely be the 22. It can kill a person just as quickly as any gun in existence. Or if you don't want to kill them and just want to stop them, you can do that too. You're talking a close range situation so absolutely I would use the 22 for that job

oklahoma has a pretty good (lack of) gun laws

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Oklahoma

AR-15 is NOT the perfect home defense weapon. Reasons why include over penetration, difficulty maneuvering full size in tight confines, over priced for just a home defense weapon. Better off going with a handgun or pistol grip shotgun for strictly home defense....

Because I own one of these.

Shotguns are always better for home defense. And while most people's shotguns are breach-loaded double-barreled and get two shots or at most, a pump-action with an eight or so shell capacity, I'm laughing and pumping out buckshot from a twenty shell drum, semi-auto.

The 5.56 round doesn't over penetrate either, that is why it is the choice for tactical teams such as SWAT. It loses almost all of its energy upon impact.

why shoot them when you can heem them?

Fuck off back to R e d d i t you feminist cunt

heem?

I have a glock 22 40. with basic home defense rounds that wont pierce through multiple walls and shit like that. A 12g shotgun wouldnt be a bad choice either. Get something easily to learn to shoot. Dont go buy an AR without some type of teaching of/with them

I want one of those....

What about a burgler alarm and decent locks?

Too much penetration.

I keep a legally registered SBR outfitted with a suppressor and night vision next to my bed at night. Just in case.

Thank you

Excessive penetration on drywall walls.

Velocity, but little mass

Already have all of that as well as security cameras.

Isn't that a bit overkill for home defense?
How did you even get it?

Would a hollow point be even better for home defense so you dont shoot ur kid thru the wall?

This happened shortly from where I live. Good on the kid, three less pieces of shit roaming the city.

u sure u can handle the pistol grip, rambo?

When it comes to safety, you can never overdo it.

What about wearing too many safety goggles that the elsatic breaks and the plastic shatters into your eyes?

I miss BF3

Ha Ill pass on the AR.

All I need is more sword.

This
and it got the job done. good job AR, good job

I have 223 hollowpoint ammo. Hollowpoint rounds are less likely to penetrate, which shows your knowledge. They mushroom and get larger which stops their velocity. Good try though.

There are two practical options for a high-quality clip-fed semi-auto civilian shotgun that's full-auto in its military form.

The one I have (and posted) is the Korean Daewoo USAS-12. The more common one is the American AA-12. I did my research, tried both out, and was more comfortable firing the USAS-12, so despite it being about $150 USD more expensive, that's the one I bought. Shotguns are not for everyone, and before you go out and just buy a shotgun, you've gotta do your homework. Read up on them, and try the model that you're considering buying at a range first.

Kinda had to swing that thing in a dark hallway

Fuck you

Well obviously, when your life is on the line, you can't overdo it no
But isn't a full auto 12 gauge a bit impractal?
Sorry, I'm not from burgerland, so I know jack shit about using firearms

Christ, the liberalism.

There is no "luck". Life is what you make of it.

If they wanted things, they could get a JOB and fucking pay for it themselves.

Good riddance to these pieces of shit.

Did you not read what the dude said you fuckin sperg?

Dey dindu nuffin. Dey jus' gettin' money for dey church.

It's the civilian model, which is semi-auto only, and can be bought as long as you have a gun license. The military model of the USAS-12 is full auto, and is illegal to own (to the extent of my knowledge).

It was really expensive, though, but a pleasure to use.

Way too heavy and big for home defense purposes, but its recoil dampening system makes the follow-up shot easier.

it's ok for home defense. just remember, you might be justified shooting a home invader/intruder, but you're responsible for collateral damage and are subject to lawsuits for said damage.

want to defend your home? use a 12 guage with number 8 bird shot in the chamber followed by 000 buckshot

Suppressed AR-15 in .300 Blackout is love.

Mine is a civilian model, which is built as a semi-auto version. The military model, which is illegal to own where I live, is full-auto.

Pretty short clip, usually other guns are bigger.

I really hope this is bait.

I agree but it got the job done. Break in on me and you'll be looking at the business end of a Glock 19.

Ah, that makes sense. thanks for clearing that up
Yeah, a semi-auto 12 gauge seems like something you'd want for home defense

In most circumstances, yes, it would be too big, but I live out in the woods, so I have a lot of open space, and my house is big and kind of open. I don't really have any hallways or tight corners, so I can just kind of sweep the barrel from side to side and cover a wide area.

This. And nice trips.

>doesnt know ar's started life with a 20 round clips
>calls magazines 'clips'

Why? What he said is spot on

Right, and the beautiful part is the twenty-shell drum. I can go a lot longer than most shotguns can without having to reload, and fire basically as fast as I need to just by pulling the trigger. The only real downside is that the drums are big and clunky, so it's a bit excessive to carry more than one extra drum.

Then again, nobody really is dumb enough to still be around after you've emptied forty loads of buckshot in their general direction. They're either dead, severely injured, or have fled.

Gets the job done indeed. It is obviously effective, because if it wasn't, we wouldn't be reading that article right now.

Home defense = SHOTGUN > AR

Nothing is more intimidating than the ubiquitous sound of a shotgun being cocked. Kinda gets yer attention quick.

How about the russian Saigas and VEPRs-12? Although the RPK-based receiver ensures reliability and a simpler mechanism to maintain, are their recoils hard to get used to?

>The 22 is the best all purpose gun, period
This is now a squirrel hunting thread.

Because a nasty .308 is wayyyyyy more fun.

It took me atleast 3 shots to kill a squirrel with a .22 before

Not him but a .22 will fuck your day right up

KILLING PEOPLE IS FUN!

Shot placement is key

None of you faggots would have the balls to pull the trigger and take a life. You own guns and think you're badasses but I bet you hide if you see a stranger on your block. If someone broke into your house you'd probably just wind up trying to blow them.

you're a lousy shot

To be real, it is god-tier gun tho
10/10 would definitely stick dick in trigger hole

>.22 for self/home defense
no.
the 22 is not made for self-defense or home defense. it's a target shooting round, or if anything, hunting small game.
>. It can kill a person just as quickly as any gun in existence

a study reported that 35% of threats did not stop when shot by a .22, the highest rate compared to other calibers.
buckeyefirearms.org/handgun-stopping-power

another issue with the .22 is that it frequently travels through whatever mass it hits. the chance of collateral damage skyrockets when using a .22

9mm imo is the best choice for CC, and just fine for home defense.

and by the way, your objective is not to kill an intruder or attacker. It sounds like you have not taken a CDL/CC class and I'd advise you to do so.

Guns kill by causing blood loss. The .22LR round is capable of killing but you could just as easily put 10 .22 rounds into an adult without knocking them down.
Anybody who says otherwise doesn't understand ballistics.

it's a cheap knock off of a military weapon. KYS

why just kill the burglars, when you could accidentally kill your family and neighbors too??

> broke into a house while people were there
> wore masks

Yeah.... they weren't 3 strangers who broke in to 'burglarize' anything. My money says the shooter knew at least one of the three and probably owed him money

I wouldn't say that but if it comes down to taking some evil mofo out, I will.

funniest post ever. Surprise me and find out

>bored /k/ newfag detected

well his debt is clear now

I own ARs but I prefer handgun for home defense, 19+1 is more than enough

This faggot has never heard of hydrostatic shock

I have teen aged daughters at home and I choose a shot gun for home self defense.
In the middle of the night, dark, confusing, scared - I don't want them to have to aim or worry about shot placement. I want them to aim in a general direction and KA-BOOM.

Depends

Ha funny. Freedom means you protect yourself. No freedom means cameras in and around your house surveilled 24/7 and you wait for the cops to save you while you get the shit beaten out of you wife and kids raped. Those kids deserved to die entering a mans house with ill intent. People need to wake up and get back into reality.

Give me a FN FAL with a Glock 19 or a FN P90 with a Beretta M9 all day.

/thread

You going to provide your address?

>threaded barrel
>no muzzle device
I will never understand this.

>Watch this blood loss kill this donkey
youtube.com/watch?v=_gVGrzb7En0

Don't know shit about guns, you raging /k/fag

Sarcasm

not going to leave the suppressor on it 24/7 lol

I have no sympathy for someone that breaks into someone's home and gets blown away. Fuck those fucks

i just got my suppressor. it literally took a year before all legal docs were in order before i could take possession of said suppressor.

You mean live in fear? It should be the robbers living in fear not the homeowner. People need to be deterred entering a home other than their own

You want to die?

Live in fear cuck

no. no you don't.

It really depends on the shooter.
A lot of people talk about shotguns as better with home defense. I agree - but only if you can't shoot (which isn't a bad thing, just an honest statement).
An AR 15 with a shorter barrel, lighter loads, specific rounds (all not to blast through walls) and a suppressor (only to save your ears) is a much better weapon - but only if you are a half-way decent shot and know the weapon.
Plus, it isnt a pump so you can continuously hit a target multiple times without much trouble.
Also, keep in mind, shotgun grouping on a normal, legal barrel isn't that great - like the size of a baseball/softball (considering the close-quarter distance of a home invader).
It isn't some huge sprayed, yard-wide blast that you may think.
Again - if you know guns and are an okay shot, the AR 15 with specific (but not insane gun-nut) upgrades is better.
But if you're a normal Joe, the shotgun works better.

I keep this one next to my bed. It's a form 1 SBR But I do have shotguns, suppressed handguns and other firearms available if I need them.