Wheel Of Time Series

Is it going to be shit?

at least it'll be better than GoT

It annoys me when people say "who cares, the books are shit anyway!" in Game of Thrones threads, because it always comes across as edgy nonsense by people who haven't read a book since high school.

But the Wheel of Time series is legitimately a poorly-written book. Unlike ASOIAF it has nothing to say about the world we live in or humanity as a whole.

It also has no ending and no living author.

Yes, just like the books

But next to no fantasy needs to do that. Sure, it helps some stay relevant at the times they're written, but really does it matter if Brandin Sanderson were to write a trilogy of fantasy books that allude to the upcoming elections.

Books 1-3 were okay

Inevitably so.

ELRIC FUCKING WHEN?

The Wheel Weaves As The Wheel Wills

it could be the next Game of Thrones, or it could end up in garbage bin after season 1

I felt like the books were bad when I read them, but I couldn't put my finger on why.

Let's get to the bottom of it. First things that come to mind are generic, and feels like a cheesy tv-show where they just introduce new things every season that get progressivly more far-fetched.

All depends on its network/channel. HBO could give it the budget it needs but I'm sure they'd just want a GoT 2.0 but with more material (and an actual ending).
I don't think AMC would treat it right and Showtime seems like a weird mix for it.
Only options I see are Netflix or Starz. One has the ability to pull in enough viewers, due to the drones of people that will watch anything they announce and release, where as Starz has that niche market of people that enjoy the more fantastical shows.

My only worries is the miscasting of getting old known actors that don't fit the characters and the cgi for certain creatures. This shit could turn into a Farscape.

all the books are good
1-3 deals with characters coming to terms with their roles, 4-7 places them in roles of power and influence, 7-11 is spent preparing and moving the pieces on the board in preparation for the final fight, and 12-14 books are when the shits the fan in an epic fashion

every book cannot be one big fight. and in case of book 10, it was bad editing; first half of the book is epilogue to book 9, and the latter half is more or less prologue to book 11.

>1-3 deals with characters coming to terms with their roles
if only he came up with characters worth setting up over the course of three books

same you applies to the other things you mentioned

I couldn't even get past book one. Every male was a gibbering retard, every female was the most amazing person to ever grace the planet, the monsters and setting were utterly generic. Maybe this would have felt fresh if I was new to fantasy literature or hadn't already read all the good stuff the genre has produced; but it seems really really bad. And who the fuck wants to spend three books of a character "coming to terms with their role." My nigga Locke Lamorra was stealing shit on page one and didn't stop until the book was over.

THAT'S an entertaining good book.

ofc it is generic, Jordan begun writing in 1989, back when every fantasy book had to follow the Tolkien recipe to get some readers. Only later has the genre spread out, partially thanks to WoT deviating so much from Tolkienesque fantasy.

there are flaws,but WoT is a cornerstone in the genre of fantasy when it comes to the transition between LotR and modern books

>Tfw Berserk is even more fleshed out than Wheel Of Time

Things that annoy the shit out of me about WoT
>every one of the three main male characters thinks the other two are better with girls
In the first book or two it's okay to bring this up whenever there is an interaction with women, but christ you don't need to bring it up in EVERY BOOK. We get it after the first 2. There aren't a lot of people randomly picking up book 5 as their first time reading the series.

>women ALWAYS "cross their arms under their breasts"
Is there any other way for a woman to cross her arms? Put them on top of her tits like a shelf? Why does he need to say this every single time and bring their breasts into it?

Rand book 1: wtf, I want to live in peace
book 2: I'm going after the dagger only to help Mat, then I'll just vanish or something
book 3: I guess I will try visiting Tear, pls leave me alone
book4: fuck this shit, I'll die anyway
book14: I HAVE BECOME DRAGON, THE WEAVER OF SPACE AND TIME

as for the matriarchy, it's interesting to see once for a while a society where women are so powerful, but as the series advance, cracks begun to appear until people realize that women have caused a lot of damage over the last millenniums
book one starts with women pushing men around, and by the end of the series, do people realize that by working together you do get the best results

You guys think they're going to cast nynaeve to have some tig ol' bitties?

what makes it good in of itself?

I can see how you would be correct in stating it's like a standard work of contemporary fantasy, but what makes it good? Tolkien, by contrast, just wrote a good book of itself, which was one reason it basically helped create fantasy as a genre.

hopefully
then again, she does dress quite modestly most of the time, so it might not help much

>Why does he need to say this every single time and bring their breasts into it?

Jordan was a known lecher. Can't blame the guy either, but seriously. His books are crammed with fetishistic material.

if they do, my hateboner cannot be contained, fuck fat bitch, Min best girl, fite me with balefire not on line

>fite me with balefire not on line

I kek'd

Nynaeve becomes best girl towards ends of series. She does grow up. Gives middlefinger to White Tower biatches.
guards Rand as well possible from Two Rivers into the Pit of Doom itself.

she, like Moiraine, are the channelers who actually get shit done. least amount of politics, most amounts of pure power displays

The Matriarchal societies here will make this tumblrbait.

Also fuck, can you imagine the reaction of the SJWs with the "Kneel, or you will be knelt." Scene?

some actual Aes Sedai level triggerins will be felt :D

HOW DARE THE FUCKING SAVIOUR OF THE WORLD DEMAND THAT WOMEN STOP TRYING TO MANIPULATE HIM, REEEEE

I myself love the amount of world building, history, magic mechanics, politics and how hard it is for the hero to do anything without everyone trying to push him their way.
some people might not like history nor politics, but I love them. that is why WoT is so dear to me.

before WoT, fantasy books did not go often over 500 pages. Most books did not. Jordan decided to stop caring and started bombing with his 1000 page tomes. and it changed fantasy genre; now such large tomes are not that out of place, but rather common,

The books are shit, so the series will be shit.

>tfw Selene will never try to seduce you in a see-through dress

>It's a damane episode

>it's a sweat-tent episode with dozens of naked Aiel

>before WoT, fantasy books did not go often over 500 pages
you say it like it's a good thing

asimov didn't need 14 tomes to make all kinds of great political, historical, etc. points

with the WOT it feels like a few good ideas diluted utterly in a sea of, honestly, mediocrity

Hopefully not that incarnation of Selene.

>It's a mat gets raped a dozen times by a queen till her head falls off episode

well, for me at least it provides more enjoyable content which I like.
sure, not everyone like in-depth worldbuilding or having chapters with Aes Sedai sitting, talking politics whilst drinking tea, but that's my preference

there are boring moments and there are awesome moments. but there are a damned many moments and damned many plotlines and PoVs.

>it's a Rahvin has another orgy at Caemlyn with mindcontrolled noblewomen episode

>it's a Moghedian is raped and degraded by Shaidar Haran in a self contained pocket of subspace for an unspecified amount of time, only to be later handed over as a mind slave to Moridin episode

>it has nothing to say about the world we live in or humanity as a whole

literally who fuckin gives a shit, GRRM is a pseudo intellectual faggot. Fantasy is supposed to provide a form of escape not remind you of how shitty everything is IRL

>it's a Shaidar Haran rapes Graendal to death so that she can be revived in another uglier body episode

>My nigga Locke Lamorra was stealing shit on page one and didn't stop until the book was over
>le edgy gentlemen bastard thief conman xD

kys faggot, try reading some actual fantasy, I'd recommend Second Apocalypse but idt ur boipussy could handle it.

>tfw the series will probably die before we see Rand solo-wipe 100k trollocs at Maradon

i would take the amber chronicles over wheel of time any day

will they change the script to allow a proper foursome?

Yes.

Unless Peter Jackson steps in, it will be another probably even shittier GoT

Great more money and effort spent on this dungeons and dragons horse shit

>second apocalypse
When the fuck Bakker will release the next book?
I've been waiting for the unholy consult for ages.

>Rand will be buttfucked by some big buck whose making out with his bitches sucking their titties
>he'll happily watch said buck bang all of his women, especially Elayne
>their children will all be mud children

>it has nothing to say about the world we live in or humanity as a whole.

Fucking so? Our planet fucking sucks and people are garbage. I don't want my fantasy to remind me of that, I want it to help me escape it.

______________________CLANG_____________________________

will Perrin killing Lanfear trigger people?

The Great Ordeal just came out last month. The Unholy Consult is expected next year. He's making GRRM look like a complete baby, cranking out his own magnum opus at a breakneck speed.

This. I want to see more fantasy series adapted just because it's so different from our world. It doesn't have to always be some social commentary.

a satanic being that exist outside of reality wants to break free from his prison and destroy mankind and enslave everyone?
the pattern/reality pushes back and has the Dragon spun out, to make sure that the Dark One does not get free.
the Dark One makes it hard for Dragon to win, by making sure mankind is divided, nation against nation, female against male; to make sure there will be no united opposition.

the greatest social commentary in all of that is, people should work together and trust each other instead of always plotting against one another. work together or die.

watch Rand become the Christ, the Saviour, the Buddha and become one with the Pattern of Time.

WoT contains many themes, and it is not just another social commentary. than again, if you try enough, any book can be a social commentary

I just finished the books last night. The ending is stupid as fuck. Why did Rand need to die and why did taking Moridin's body let him avoid that? There was only one main character who died too, I think Faile, Lan and Galad should've died as well.

because "happy ending" stuff
I'm not sure if Rand dying would have been better. letting everyone think he died is quite interesting outcome too.
Rand's body had burned out and bled out. The Dragon itself was too powerful being for normal times, so the Wheel probably decided that it was time to balance a bit and remove omnipotent beings from the pattern; Rand can no longer channel at least. But apparently he can still change reality around himself with sheer willpower, it's left a bit open.

Moridin wanted to die, but hated being reborn so he also wanted the crash the entire Age Lace. The reason why they swapped bodies was probably somehow linked to their balefires touching in Shadar Logoth in book 7. Dunno.

I'm on the edge with Lan dying. He went to die, but because of pattern bending Rand decides he should live. seriously please... then again I'm happy for Nynaeve not going mad with her Warder dying in the middle of a duel with the devil.

Faile, Galad, who cares.

first book was a blatant LOTR ripoff and fucking terrible

>baddies can't cross water
>cursed item troubles a protagonist, onmy here it's the "sam" sidekick that gets cursed
>disembodied enemy

wew lad, how the fuck did this get a rep as decent

>it's a prisoners are walked naked in the snow episode

>it's a Therava abuses Galina physically in her tent episode

Why is Discworld's bar fading? Because of Pratchett's Alzheimer?

>Inheritance Cycle

what a truly fucking laughable series

This chaos-worshipper here.

The script is literally laid out for them.

>it's a Mat gets blacked episode

bump...?