What exactly is "buttrock"

Is it just a catch all term for guitar music that normies like?

Or is it the American equivalent of ladcore?

yes

Generic hardrock shit

It's heavy radio rock from the late 90's to present day that is really bland, uninspired, with le angsty tough guy shtick, and has no edge or balls.

>Guitar music
This is irredeemable even if you're using it unironically.

>that is really bland

Then why do QOTSA, Muse and Royal Blood get called buttrock on here when they are anything but bland?

Because half of Sup Forums uses the term incorrectly, however Muse's last album was definitely buttrock

Muse is the epitome of edgy indie, even their best albums.

QOTSA hit peak with SftD. The sweet spot of stoner, space rock and prog.

Needless to say they are bland as fuck now.

QOTSA's last album was the least buttrock album they did though.

Post-grunge.

Sup Forums is filled with teens.

guitar music bands not on the general essentials

>QOTSA, Muse and Royal Blood
>not bland

holy shit

I've always thought it was like the kind of rock that you'd find on a PS2-era racing games soundtrack, has all the elements of rock but it's totally obscure and unmemorable even if you heard it a hundred times.

Era Vulgaris, SftD and ...Like Clockwork really weren't that bland. If you really think they bland you don't know how much music there is out there.

Bland != popular

>Era Vulgaris
>...Like Clockwork
>bland

Even if I think Muse and Royal Blood, at least on album, are bland as shit, buttrock is supposed to be referring to mid tempo post grunge, normally with baritone singers and a Verse Chorus Verse structure. Think Someday by Nickelback as the epitome of it. The reason you hear everything is buttrock is because of mu-males.

radio rock bands with post-vedder singers

'my feelings are hurt' rock

I've always taken it to describe a general feeling than a specific sound.

Foo Fighters get tagged buttrock a lot, as do a lot of 80's glam rock bands, because of their focus on "THE POWER OF RAWK!" bullshit.

You are fucking retarded if you think those are bland