What do you guys think of Zulawski? I have only seen Possession...

What do you guys think of Zulawski? I have only seen Possession. I'm not clever enough to have figured the whole movie out but I found it riveting and will absolutely be checking out more of Zulawski's work.

I bought the Mondo Vision blu ray of Possession. Should I wait for propper hd releases of his other films or bite the bullet and settle for what is currently out there?

General Zulawski thread for anyone interested.

Other urls found in this thread:

torrentz.eu/1fa11e09aa7e40a1f8b5709040a410347f5ffbc0
torrentz.eu/4f9d559eee3dd72d91222e563b363df5814ce74c
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I loved possession. check out On the Silver Globe, its polish though. But its even weirder than Possession, the quality I found was surprisingly good.

Didnt really like Diabel, La Femme Public was alright,

Thanks for the tip. I've heard On The Silver Globe is one of his best. The problem is that I've become a bit of a fidelity snob. I hate dvds. Should I watch the current transfer or wait for the inevitable Mondo Vision blu ray? The Possession transfer and packaging were beautiful.

You should wait. I tried watching it on DVD and kept getting pulled out of the experience from the shitty quality.

Also the movie has boring monologues in it, unlike Posession. But I'm sure it's good in its own way.

if you care that much then wait, I don't know when Om the Silver Globe is getting blursay treatment thoug however screens from the quality are pretty good imo

torrentz.eu/1fa11e09aa7e40a1f8b5709040a410347f5ffbc0

torrentz.eu/4f9d559eee3dd72d91222e563b363df5814ce74c

I watched one of those and for some reason i think it was the smaller one and it looked fine

ive read that this film is a metaphor for the german occupation of poland

It has a highly political component, but it's mostly overlooked.

There's a resurgence in popularity nowadays because a.) it has a female as the central character, and b.) can be read extremely loosely as some kind of feminist thing.

Basically, it can appeal to horror bros and tumblrinas alike

pretty much all his movies had some sort of political aspect to them

the devil was banned because the censor said "this is saying something political, but I dont know what exactly. But its political"

The third part of the night is overtly about the germans in poland but pretty obviously actually about the russians in poland.

For OP, I'd really recommend the third part of the night. I liked the devil a lot too but my friends didn't care for it that much.

i didnt get a feminist vibe at all

i think even some feminists wouldnt be dumb enough...some...not tumblr
but people do look into things differently like that for sure, its a horror film

Cosmos is goat t.b.h.

It would take some serious jumps in logic to identify with the woman. Unless you're actually schizophrenic. I definitely identify with based Sam Neil (he doesn't get enough credit for this movie).

based Neil was based its got to be top 3 for him

Mark and Anna are both in, varying ways and degrees, sympathetic characters. It can be argued that as the writing was linked to Żuławski's own divorce, thus so were his views/emotions to how the characters were presented. In this sense, Mark's state of mind and point of view is perhaps less abstract to audiences. Anna's, on the other hand, her bizarre and confounding actions (and unsympathetic character in the eyes of most viewers), is what allows the film to hold that feminist interpretation - her behaviour is so utterly terrifying and alien to Mark as one might be to the other person during a relationship breakdown.

Don't watch that last movie Cosmos - it's worthless

>There's a resurgence in popularity nowadays because a.) it has a female as the central character, and b.) can be read extremely loosely as some kind of feminist thing.
Please don't ruin this movie for me or I'll end you

To those of you who've seen it, how was Cosmos?

don't bother with anything

I think that in this case the IMDB rating is very accurate:
> 5,6/10

you could have that view and not be a feminist though or even consider feminism is even relevant

>you could have that view and not be a feminist though
>could

"could" being the operative word, I hope.

never said that you needed to be one to extrapolate that aspect and neither did I go into specifics about how that particular aspect contributes towards feminist arguments. I merely put forward that you needn't make a "serious jump of logic to identify with the woman" as would have it. I also thought it was worthwhile to point out the bts contextual aspects bears reasonable relation to Mark's character coming out as the sympathetic character in all of this as opposed to Anna's character, who is in a word enigmatic to the other party. By whose gaze is she being seen as the monster and inflicter of suffering etc? In what ways is she not as monstrous as we initially believe? What does the pleasant bizarro ver. that is Helen represent to Mark, who at the start of the film says "i don't even want you anymore"? These can easily be feminist questions in the dialectics of the film.

Just because says that they personally "didn't get a feminist vibe" from the film does not mean the film is absent of feminist tones. Depending who you are, you'll either reject the idea entirely, that the film with all its horrors allows for such angles, or see it as one possible among many valid ones, or see it solely through the feminist lens.

Yeah it's a great performance by Neil

He was in the exorcist that same year too

Ok

good, glad to know you get it now.

Generally speaking, Polish Zulawski > French Zulawski

You really need to check out some of his other work if you've only seen Possession. Diabel and L'important c'est d'aimer are incredible.

thats not me thats a different user. i dont think anybody watching before 2012 would consider it feminist

Not him, but that's probably because you're a sophist. Feminist analysis has been around for decades. The entire film was, entirely on the surface, about divorce and heterosexual relationships. It's ripe for feminist navel-gazing.

So, it's about how feminist percieve themselves?

I got the Mondo Vision myself.

I have only managed to make one person watch it. It's deliriously weird.

>So, it's about how feminist percieve themselves?
that's a loaded question but if your argument is reasonable enough it an be

what did they say? how did you get them to sit throught it?

Oh, he thought it was alright. He liked the gradual horror of it and how it was about the disintegration of a relationship. It was a little slow for him, but he's impatient.

We watch art films together so I will watch one of his for one of mine. He tends to pick ones with gay relationships, which I'll put up with, and I'll pick the strange horror stuff.

i really really love Diavel because it goes full bonkers from the beggining

pls don't die