/jazz/ general

Piano edition

What are you listening to right now?
Who are your favorite pianists?
What are your favorite piano heavy albums?
What are your favorite jazz releases from this year?

Other urls found in this thread:

play.spotify.com/album/1sKGihMgt9zLIAm7cyLhys?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open
youtube.com/watch?v=rMdf9AL_6Bw&t=1066s
youtube.com/watch?v=Bh5Dp1S-OC8
youtube.com/watch?v=WAU2SSZPiqs
youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY&t=733s
youtube.com/watch?v=SB3mI6lMpuw&ab_channel=johnnystaccata
youtube.com/watch?v=vJ7tDo-TOOw&ab_channel=JazzGarden
youtube.com/watch?v=JLSHoBQamfc
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

jazz sucks.
please go..

no

Been listening to a lot of Brad Mehldau lately, his most recent album with Chris Thile on mandolin is nothing short of amazing. No way you can go wrong with McCoy Tyner on piano tho.

is there a good jazz version of the james bond theme?

Has anyone listened to this? Pretty neat record.
Few modern trios are so energetic as this one on this session

play.spotify.com/album/1sKGihMgt9zLIAm7cyLhys?play=true&utm_source=open.spotify.com&utm_medium=open

No, but Kikoski is always amazing so maybe I will give it a listen.

Really digging this atm. I wanna listen to more but his discography is so huge. Is there a good record to start with?

youtube.com/watch?v=rMdf9AL_6Bw&t=1066s

bump

youtube.com/watch?v=Bh5Dp1S-OC8

I found one of the best jazz albums I've ever heard, and I've forgotten it

Can't remember
Have a Red Mitchell at the piano

anybody heard it yet?

ya it was gay

vijay ayer is at the vanguard this week, should i go?

Saw Cecil Taylor play solo at the original Knitting Factory in the late 80's
>would do again/10

>What are you listening to right now?
Jonathan Kreisberg's Shadowless. This album makes me feel feelings. Not happy ones, but good ones.
>Who are your favorite pianists?
Bill Evans, Monk, Keith Jarrett, Craig Taborn, Cecil Taylor, McCoy Tyner, Herbie and Nina Simone.
>What are your favorite piano heavy albums?
Most of the guys I listed (especially when they're leading) tend to feature themselves quite heavily, I think it'd be more fun listing albums with pianists I didn't mention tho, cause saying "Bill at the Vanguard" gets boring sometimes.
Cedar Walton - Eastern Rebellion
Kenny Drew - Undercurrent
Duke - Money Jungle
Andrew Hill - Point of Departure, Compulsion, etc.
Michel Petrucciani - Power of Three, Pianism
Bud Powell - Jazz Giant, The Amazing, etc.
Chick Corea - Stuff with Circle, Miles collabs, Crystal Silence, Return to Forever, etc.
Collin Vallon - Danse
Art Tatum - Piano Starts Here
Erroll Garner - Concert by the Sea
David Virelles - Mboko
>What are your favorite jazz releases from this year?
Collin Vallon - Danse
Chris Potter- The Dreamer is the Dream
Craig Taborn - Daylight Ghosts
Jan Lundgren - Potsdamer Platz

Only brainlets listen to jazz. Metal is music for patricians.

what a coincidence, I've been really into matthew shipp for the past few days. I've listened to nu bop , equilibrium, and symbol systems. Where should I go from there?

>Where should I go from there?
The sanatorium. Pray shit taste is curable.

More albums like this? I really love it

/thread

>/threading your own post
shiggydiggy

Dumbass.

Charlie Parker - Yardbird Suite (compilation)
Charlie Parker and Dizzy - Bird and Diz
Sonny Clark - Sonny Clark Trio
Fats Navarro - Complete Blue Note
Bud Powell - Jazz Giant
Oscar Peterson - Tristeza on Piano

how do we kill /jazz/ lads

here's your (you) ;)

I'm serious though

but you will kill the only patrician thing on this board

I see that >the fish rots from the head first still holds.

What're some essential compilations?

this is enjoyable enough, a bit surprisingly, though not exactly what I'd feel revisiting I don't think. He also has this band from the eighties that includes Evan Parker and Jack Bruce among others that I'll check out later.

youtube.com/watch?v=WAU2SSZPiqs

bump

Sound Of Joy
God Is More Than Love Can Ever Be

Does anyone knows where i can download this? i can't find it anywhere

yes, his live sets are much better than his albums

Thoughts on the Modern Jazz Quartet?

currently listening to this bandcamp jazz. Enjoying it so far and i guess it's pretty piano heavy.

Its another weird example of a group with members i like but the connection and concept have always fallen flat in my opinion. > nuff nuff

Has anyone else listen to the new arron parks trio record on ECM with ben street and billy hart? If so, what did you think?

Listened to this the other day in youtube.
youtube.com/watch?v=Hrr3dp7zRQY&t=733s

I love jazz!
Ryo Fukui, The Epic, the list just goes on and on...

Is Buddy Rich a meme?

Nah, he was a drummer and arranger.
youtube.com/watch?v=SB3mI6lMpuw&ab_channel=johnnystaccata

PFFFFFFFFFRFRRRRRRRTTTTTT
FART FART FART
FAAAAAAAAAAAAART

On behalf of all Sup Forums, I want to thank you folks for getting rid of /classical/.

we are bros with /classical/, back to your hole you dirty plebeian

But most of /classical/ hates us...

>we are bros with /classical/
I don't think so.

Is this actually true?

There was one yesterday but it died pretty early and there isn't one rn.
I think the guy who usually just bumps the thread like:

>Clifford Brown
>youtube.com/watch?v=vJ7tDo-TOOw&ab_channel=JazzGarden

is missing.

Wat did deleted post say

is this /pseud/ general?

I found a couple interesting posts in another thread
(polite sage for offtopic)

The mods deleted a folk/alt-country thread the other day.

The fuck? Why would mods want to kill one of the only consistently on topic threads on Sup Forums? Why would they attack /classical/ and not attack ?

judging by those posts it seems like the guy who usually just bumps their thread got banned.

this has nothing to do with /jazz/ stop trying to start a thread war.

Has this leaked? Chris Cross says it's not out for another 5 days.

Are there other good comps like this that cover his career without needing to package in 8 CDs with 5 versions of the same song on each disc? I've got pic related, Bird and Diz, With Strings and the Massey Hall Concert, but I still feel like I've probs only gotten the bare bones.
I don't want a big anorak's collection of every take the guy ever recorded, but I feel like I'm probs missing out on some good stuff.

+++__+++++______+++++______+++++______++++
++/\+\+++/\++__+\+++/\___++\+++/\___++\+++
+_\_\+\++\+\++__+\++\/_/++/__++\/_/++/__++
/\_____\++\+\_\+\_\+++/\_____\+++/\_____\+
\/_____/+++\/_/\/_/+++\/_____/+++\/_____/+
++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

What's up with people spamming /jazz/ all of a sudden? Are the rockists feeling insecure?

not really much an arranger, though?

influential drummer, even if in retrospect mostly in the school/institution big band realm

Probably a dumb question, but I would like to know, why is Herbie considered to be such an important and great pianist? I don't understand.

they don't sound so MODERN to me

ha ha ha

A lot of the charts he did with the big band are pretty great. Thinking about it tho, a lot of what makes them special comes out of him having good players who he pushed really hard to play them with a lot of precision. So maybe band leader would be a better description.

did he really do that many arrangements himself, though?

a lot of people talk about "Buddy Rich charts" and refer to stuff his band recorded and played, but weren't arranged by Rich

quickly checking Allmusic and Discogs for some of the most well known Rich big band albums - Big Swing Face, Mercy, Mercy, Keep the Customer Satisfied, Stick It, The Roar of '74 - not a single arrangement credit for Rich himself (and yes, other arrangers do have credits on those albums)

Huh, wasn't aware of this. Do you know if they were they written by members of the band or did he hire people?

i was only bumping the thread lad whats the harm in that?
my home is gone

I'm distrustful of all you guys from /classical/. Refugees seem harmless at first, but before you know it, you've got a rape epidemic on your hands. I don't want 5 dicks up my ass while I'm trying to discuss the new Chris Potter record.

torampu-san pls no bully
m. vitous ok?

youtube.com/watch?v=JLSHoBQamfc

I always forget how good this is, and it's so damn good.

ye

Recently discovered this little beauty. Great work from Mr. Sakamoto.

that one that i posted is one disc

>Japs anywhere near my Jazz
throwing up rn

What is some solid jazzy hip hop beats?
>pls no bully

>hating on based Ryuichi
Stop being such a purist. He's a great pianist.

1. Where can I find the full album?
2. Why did it take a weeb from /classical/ to post a sample?
3. How pleb am I?

Anybody have a download link for this one?

Tribe Called Quest
Digable Planets
Nujabes

You're in the wrong thread to get a good answer to that question tho.

flying lotus cosmogramma and you're dead

it's on spotify

Well he's undoubtedly one of the most influential and probably the best example of a post-bop pianist.

He started out doing pretty much the bluesy hard bop thing but then added in the modal and free stuff that was going on in the 60's and pretty much did it better than anyone else. Yeah, there's McCoy Tyner but Herbie was really much more versatile and well-rounded than McCoy. And then there's the fact that Herbie went on to have WAY more mainstream success and recognition than any of his contemporaries. It really just kind of cemented his legendary status.

Also you might not really get it if you've only listened to Herbie's stuff as a leader. As great as a lot of that stuff is, he played on a TON of other people's records in the 60's and did some great stuff on those. His albums and live recordings with Miles are essential. Also his recordings with Wayne Shorter, Lee Morgan, Bobby Hutcherson... really he sounds pretty awesome on almost every Blue Note record he's on.

hey im trying to find this jazz song

it goes like

du-du du-du du-du-du.... DUUUUHduuuh... du-du du-du du-du-du.... DUUUUHduuuh...

Caravan

Thanks for the information, I appreciate it.

I indeed know him from just a few of his own albums, so maybe that's the reason, but I could never figure out why he is considered to be so great. Still don't really. Why is he the best example of a post-bop pianist? I don't recognise Herbie's style (and see how that surpasses that of others). Andrew Hill, Bill Evans, Bud Powell, Cecil Taylor, McCoy Tyner, etc. are much more clear to me.

You're missing 1 du on the first part and 2 dus on the second part.

Well Bill Evans is probably the other best example. He was definitely just as influential, if not more. I think Herbie was even influenced by Evans to a degree. Evans was kinda different though in that he pretty much never, ever left the form of the tunes. For Evans it was all about the form. Hancock was more flexible when it came to form and harmony.

Hill is another pretty good contender and great example of a post-bop pianist, but he was not nearly as influential as Hancock. Powell pretty much the best example of a "bebop" pianist, I don't think anybody would consider much of his music to be post-bop. Cecil Taylor is pretty much free jazz- there's really not much bebop influence in his music at all.

McCoy Tyner is another strong contender, with really distinctive and influential style. Don't get me wrong, I love McCoy's playing, especially with Coltrane he was the perfect pianist, but I find his playing to be limited in a way that Hancock's wasn't. If you listen to his solos, it's often a lot of fast pentatonic runs with quartal planing in the left hand. Herbie would do that stuff sometimes, but could also do much more too.

Then there's Chick Corea too, who sort of built on what Herbie was doing and had his own style of post-bop playing. He even had quite a bit of mainstream success.

So really it just comes down to personal preference. Hancock, Tyner, Hill, or Corea are all pretty valid choices in post-bop piano. Really I think Hancock's continued mainstream success is the main reason for his super legendary status.

One other thing I'll note though- having listened to a lot of current jazz pianists, between Hancock, Tyner, Hill, and Corea I think Hancock tends to be the most pervasive influence over current pianists as a whole.

You're a bad person if you're holding the second note of Caravan that long.

>One other thing I'll note though- having listened to a lot of current jazz pianists
Could you name some modern piano jazz albums with distinct playing?? I mean, I've been trying to get into more modern jazz and one of the fews artists that play in a really unique style would be Kikoski. Man, I love him. Anyway, I would like to hear some names, if you have any.

Yeah Kikoski is an incredible pianist, although I don't know if I'd call him extremely distinctive necessarily. He's definitely draws a LOT from Hancock though, basically following that style through to its natural conclusion.

Some other great contemporary piano albums though:

Fred Hersch- Sarabande and Alive at the Vanguard
Craig Taborn- Chants
David Virelles- Mboko
Orrin Evans- Captain Black
Simon Nabatov- Sneak Preview
Luis Perdomo- Links
Jacob Sacks- No Man's Land (or he is also great on Dave Scott's Brooklyn Aura)

Ethan Iverson isn't always my favorite player, but he does have a pretty distinct style so he might be worth checking out too.

Orri Evans is awesome aswell. I'll be checking the rest of the list. Thank you user :)

Oh and if you really like Kikoski another guy you might want to check out is Misha Tsiganov. They have a very similar style. Kikoski probably does more interesting crossrhythm type stuff and is a better comper, but Tsiganov does some really cool stuff with his arrangements of standards.

>Powell pretty much the best example of a "bebop" pianist, I don't think anybody would consider much of his music to be post-bop. Cecil Taylor is pretty much free jazz- there's really not much bebop influence in his music at all.
I mentioned them not because they are good examples for post-bop, but that I can identify, understand and see the significance their style had and the rolesthey played (e.g. Powell for bebop, Cecil for free jazz, etc.).

>McCoy Tyner is another strong contender, with really distinctive and influential style. Don't get me wrong, I love McCoy's playing, especially with Coltrane he was the perfect pianist, but I find his playing to be limited in a way that Hancock's wasn't. If you listen to his solos, it's often a lot of fast pentatonic runs with quartal planing in the left hand. Herbie would do that stuff sometimes, but could also do much more too.
I agree with that as well.

But with all the pianists I mentioned, I can easily discern their style and understand the impact they had. But what's Herbie's style? What did he add? I think his mainstream success indeed plays an important factor, and definitely the fact that he embraced synthesizers and other genres, e.g. funk. But his playing with Miles has been praised as well, which is probably the period you talk about right? Haven't listened to his Miles stuff yet, only a few of his own records. Maybe that's why I'm struggling with this, because I can easily understand the other pianists styles and roles.

Again thanks for the information. Sorry for being unclear before.

Here's an excerpt from Keith Waters' book that explains it quite a bit better than I could. But it's focused on his recordings with Miles so you really have to listen to that stuff. One thing it doesn't really mention is his comping, which I think is something that really sets him apart. When he comps behind Shorter or Davis he gets really really interactive rhythmically, but also basically just breaks things down to tension vs. release in terms of harmony. I can't really think of any pianists who were really doing that before Herbie, but it's basically become a standard approach to comping.