Is this the end of slowdive's career?

Is this the end of slowdive's career?

No.

>Listen to Sugar for the Pill
>Instantly love it
>See this

GOD DAMMIT YOU FAGGOT FANTANO.

No. Fantano I think has plateaued in terms of popularity and a lot of people are starting to turn on him He's has been way more off the mark than usual (not that I watch him, but I've seen a huge uptick in Sup Forums threads bitching about him panning stuff like LCD Soundsystem's new single, GAS, giving the new Mac Demarco a VERY generous score, giving the new Logic the same rating as MBDTF, giving Father John Misty a RIDICULOUSLY inflated score).

He's Sup Forumstant who got lucky. Props to him, but don't give him any more relevancy than hasbeens like Pitchfork and Rolling Stone.

wtf i hate slowdive now

I don't see the video

Why there are so many people that still care about this guy's opinions?

Not to mention he's been spending the first two minutes of various review videos hawking products. And he's redirected his focus to much more Top 40 pop/rnb/hip-hop and flavor of the month music than he did back in the early days. Clearly he's trying to make a living off of this, but he has no real integrity or authenticity anymore. Half the time I feel like he's phoning it in just for view counts, not to mention he's ignorant about most music outside the general popular indie rock/hip-hop/Pitchfork spectrum. Seeing him trying to talk about electronic music (particularly stuff rooted in dance music history) or anything remotely "experimental" is just embarrassing. Just stick with what you know dude, even if does mean every review is him droning about "trap influenced beats" and "watery synths" or "angular guitar lines".

First time I have ever agreed with him

One point lower than I'd have given it, I do like how Fantano has taken a more contrarian stance in these recent reviews

Fantano is the objectively the most influential important critic of our time. This cannot be argued. And you? I'm sorry who are you? Fuck off! You're nothing,

Oh, boy, it has begun. Get ready for 50 more of these...

Fantano has been on point lately

The only people that like this album are 19 year olds who listen to entry level shoegaze and maybe whatever the current trendy artists are. Kendrick or some shit.

Post your lastfm fucker

2017 marks the end of Fantano

jokes on you im 20

numales ANGRY lol

He says he bases his scores on his opinion. It looks like his opinion only allows fair critiques of things he cares about (hip hop). His most thought out reviews with carefully articulated points seem to be given to genres he has a vested interest in. Slowdive, most recently, and previously Gas, show that if he isn't already a fan of the genre as a whole he validates his stance by giving low scores and halfhearted thoughts. He seems more interested in proving he's right in hating things more so than honestly reviewing something. And he hides behind criticism of this choice by stating that's it's only his opinion.

i listened to it the other day and thought it was completely unremarkable. even saw some people say it was as good as souvlaki. like what the fuck?

The Truth

that's a long ass way to say it's just his opinion

>muh shoegaze
top lel, has there ever been a more pleb genre?

its not as good as souvlaki . because the vocals are meh
but its not a 4/10

solid release

I liked it!

Fuck it, it's a 4

He's correct.
This isn't Slowdive, it's nu-psychedelic shite akin to Tame Impala

>Gas

I don't know if Narko is a 2/10 but it seriously is a disappointment.

It's almost his opinion of his opinion though. He reviews big releases in genres and of bands he knows he doesn't like. He's biased going in. There's nothing wrong with it but you can't pretend that this review, opinion or not, holds the same weight as a review of Kendrick or Death Grips.
This isn't a "hey guys here's my opinions on this album". It's more "ok I guess I'll listen to this and tell you why it's not that great".

this guy gets it

He praised Slowdive's first three albums in the beginning of the video though

>going through this much mental gymnastics to pretend fantano didn't just BTFO you

Because they're established as being good by most people. It makes his "opinion" that this one isn't good appear stronger.
>this guy liked the other albums
>nevermind that the last one is 25 years old now
>if he dislikes this one it must be bad
I didn't think it was a good as their other stuff but I don't think its a 4, more like a 6.

for you

I swear to God, Fantano is now going to shit on any new album made by an artist that has made a Sup Forumscore album. He also shit on American Football's latest release, remember? He probably gave that shitstain Father John Misty a 9 for his bland Pure Comedy album to cater to his pitchfork audience and as a big fuck you to Sup Forums. He's probably reading this thread right now, stroking his chode.

The newest American Football record was trash though.

he gave dean blunt a 8 me
what r u talking about

Album was boring as fuck, why do you all have such boners for it? Name recognition?

fpbp

He praised all of Kanye's previous albums in his MBDTF video and has panned every album since.

He lurks here to check what is seen as favorable or disliked and bases that on how many views he'll get more it

and antonius fantanarius

Usually I don't give a shit when a critic hates an album I love. For the first time, I'm triggered. I could understand a six, but in which world is this album a four?

Anthony Fantano is a dumb-dumb.

/thread

you can't thread your own posts dummy

Already did

Hard to even get angry about this review, since it was such a half assed video. Hell it took him 4 mins to even get to the actual album.

Holy shit reddit and Sup Forums are triggered. Fantano is a literal god.

id give it a 5 desu

it's not bad and it's not remarkable either

Fuck this guy

>wahh the album is ACCESSIBEL so it has to be bad :((

lol people have been turning on him since the beginning of his channel. How can he ever not be "off the mark" when every album is loved and hated by someone? Music reviews are suggestions. It's like someone's saying "get the burger, the pizza tastes bad", and you reply ,"man you're off the fucking mark, I can't believe I ever trusted you..."

just cuz pitchfork is punishing father john misty for being anti-pc, doesn't mean it wasn't a critically acclaimed record. the metacritic score is like 85 or something

>like someone's saying "get the burger, the pizza tastes bad", and you reply ,"man you're off the fucking mark, I can't believe I ever trusted you..."
no its not

OH YEAJ MAN YKU GOT IT, ANS THEN HE GAVE GAS A 2 TO DEFLECF THE COUNTER INTERPOLATION OF HIS PITCHFORK AUDIENCE CAUSING THEM TO GRAVITATE TO THE SUN man shut the fuck up, his reviews scores are too varied to put any sort of, he's pandering to x, cap on them.

What's your point? Slowdive S/T has an 84. I listened to FMJ and i thought it was a 7.5 at most tbqh, and that's coming from someone that liked Honeybear. But this one just sounded like he the same instrumentation as that album but with 'deeper' lyrical content. I mean melon mostly praised the lyrics in his review the music to him was basically unimportant.

then it's not an inflated score./..

Yeah but metacritic is a stupid thing to bring up considering Slowdive is one point under FMJ and Fantano just panned it. But whatever I get what you're saying though. I still think that if he wants to be contrarian so badly he should pick the right albums i.e. FMJ given a 5 at most and slowdive given a minimum at 7 tbqh

>complains about entry level shoegaze
>listens to candy claws
ok

yeah i get it, you got your opinion, but honestly it was contrarian of pitchfork to not give it bnm. if fmj wasn't doing his twitter shenanigans or whatever they're mad at him for i can guarantee you it would have gotten 8.8 bnm on pitchfork

he gave it a 4, im not listening to this album now

Why cant I listen to candy claws?

unsubbed and disliked ;^)

You can listen to all the candy claws you want. I listen to them too. But you can't complain about people listening to entry level shoegaze when you're listening to entry level shoegaze.

lol

I should have said "only listen to entry level shoegaze".

In any case I don't even think Candy Claws is that well known, they made the rounds but the average trendy college first year that I'm thinking of probably has no clue who they are.

>if fmj wasn't doing his twitter shenanigans or whatever they're mad at him for i can guarantee you it would have gotten 8.8 bnm on pitchfork
nah
the album isn't fun or innovated. thats how they rate shit

no that was about 20 years ago

your claim can be easily disproven just by going to pitchfork and seeing what albums they have given bnm to

personally it's an 8.5 for me and the last two tracks are pretty bad, slomo, star roving and everyone knows are my favourites

post them and i'll prove you wrong

Yeah but think about it Slowdive probably weren't even that well-known by most people in recent years except now that p4k gave them a good review (I think?). Just like Candy Claws was known by every indeh p4k user the year Ceres and Calypso came out, it's all a cycle user. I don't know if that made sense

yeah the album is shit

Great, now every time someone says they dislike this album I can call them Fantano drones

How do they decide how to give a BNM? Those an album have to have an 8 or higher or what? I don't know I think both albums are solid 7-8 because they sound good and all but both sort of rehash the sounds from their respective artists previous albums.

I love lain

>Slowdive probably weren't even that well-known by most people

Slowdive have been well known among hipsters for a while now.

>being influenced by a living meme
Kinda sad desu

migos, vagabon, rtj, jay som, the xx, solange, weyes blood, young thug, jamila woods, schoolboy q, mitski. and those are just the ones i have personally listened to

> IDLES' Brutalism got 7/10
> Hip hop

How many years would you say? I mean how many people do you actually know that are into shoegaze/dream pop let alone go way back to the genres defining bands? I personally know 0 people who even know what MBV or Slowdive even are

guys you can keep arguing but please don't drag Candy Claws into this they're comfy and cute :c

Uhhh since Souvlaki came out in the early 90's?

>migos
innovated rap style triplets etc

> vagabon
black female taking on indie rock in a white dominated genre innovated

>rtj
fun political rap

>jay som
see vagabon

>the xx
fun pop minimalism(if u disagree post a artist who does it better)

> solange
fun r&b

>weyes blood
can't comment but her release with ariel pink was fun

>young thug
fun + innovated rapper

>jamila woods
garbage
> schoolboy q
fun rapper

>mitski
see jay som and vagabon

literally half your reasons are because "she's a girl" and your definition of "fun". they weren't fun to me and rtj has done the same shit x3. you think those african bobsled people deserve gold medals just cause they tried and don't have any snow in africa?? lol

Nah dude, do you really think most 20 somethings listen to Souvlaki and Just for a Day nowadays

>they weren't fun to me and rtj has done the same shit x3.
p4k doesn't care about your opinions

>Nah dude, do you really think most 20 somethings listen to Souvlaki and Just for a Day nowadays
i go to art school. majority of us do. heroin is popular also

>mfw nobody just liking the album and not giving a shit about Fantano? Don't get me wrong, I am a Fantano fan, but jfc just have ur own opinion? lmao

how

Heroin is definitely the artsiest drug

yeah and i bet reading the reviews would have more reasoning besides "it was fun." the fact of the matter is, your definition of "fun" isn't pitchforks definition and is most definitely not the reason they give bnm's. its because of politics and setting trends, and thats why ppl like mitski, jay som and vagabon get bnm's for free while being a white man doesn't. and thats fine but its obviously going to skew how good an album actually is

fantano pls. just stop shilling yr shit on here. u already got more than enough subs on yt

>art school
Well no shit my dude, but I go to a regular University and most people listen to top 40 stuff, popular rap shit and other entry level indie rock. How is heroin? Have you personally done it user?

>giving the new Mac Demarco a VERY generous score

people, are, so, fucking, dumb

fantano, inadvertently or not, gives his scores taking into account both the artist's progression and how the album stands within its genre

which means a mac demarco 7 and a kendrick lamar 7 and a lil yatchy 7 are NOT the same thing, apples and oranges

Ok Anthony

have fun in conspiracy land my friend!

>How is heroin? Have you personally done it user?
No only ketamine

>Well no shit my dude, but I go to a regular University and most people listen to top 40 stuff, popular rap shit and other entry level indie rock.
yeah but we're not discussing those ppl. anybody interested in dreampop/shoegaze worships mbv/slowdive
so idk why you don't think 20 somethings don't fuck with them.