Favorite movies of 2016

Ok since most of the movies this year have been disappointing lets have a positive thread

What movies so far in 2016 have been your personal favorites?

So far the best of 2016 for me are:
The Nice Guys
The Witch
The Revenant
10 Cloverfield Lane
Sing Street

Zootopia is the best film of the year so far

Demolition

I liked the orc parts of Warcraft.

>Cemetery of Splendour

Nice Guys
Deadpool
Swiss Army Man

That's about it. Didn't see many movies this yr. Didn't see any of the cape shit...but will see SS.

this

Zootopia is a solid 5.5/10

what didn't you like about it? had you seen any film by the director previously?

10 cloverfield lane
Batman V Superman UC
Nice Guys
Star Trek Beyond
13 hours

Literally this and star trek

Dubs confirm kino

Themes aren't connected to each other, spirituality falls flat, too exaggerated.

And no, this was my first Weerasethakul joint.

Nice guys and BvS

I know it seems like Im shitposting puting BvS here but I genuinely enjoyed some of the scenes in it and the soundtrack alone justifies its existence. Also Nice Guys was pretty good.

This is the only one I've seen that's held my interest at all

Why is 2016 such a bad year?

>insert I wanna fuck that rabbit meme

>Themes aren't connected to each other
in what way they weren't? all the beliefs of jen were expressed throughout the film, both the flaws and the beauty of her ideology
>spirituality falls flat
how exactly? i thought it was a pretty great portrayal of buddhism/dreams/spiritualism specially in scenes like when itt takes her to his dream
>too exaggerated.
how?
>this was my first Weerasethakul joint.
well this may be it, cemetery is certainly his most complex work yet,, i've been following his filmography for a while and seeing it evolve to this made me happy, specially since i loved his previous film so much

i'll admit, some themes of sexual repression and globalization felt kinda spoonfed and like cheap symbolism, but the rest i loved

Have you seen The Wailing yet? I keep forgetting that it's online. Letterboxd?

i haven't, i try to stay away from korean cinema, i haven't found anything worthwhile from it to be honest
do you have a letterboxd or are you just asking if that's what i used for the pic?

I agree, I would have put it in my list but I found the whiplash pacing and human parts brought it down.

>Themes aren't connected to each other
I really didn't feel the connection between, for example, the theme of the nature of dreams and the theme of spirituality found in the mundane world.

>spirituality falls flat
I'll preface this by saying that that I have no spirituality of my own and I have very little knowledge of Buddhism so it might just be my poor understanding, but I was neither emotionally or intellectually impressed by the spirituality.

>too exaggerated
Long takes were too long, contrasts (such as between the vulgar and the sacred) were kind of overdone, in my opinion.

I didn't hate it or anything, the Drake pic is just a meme. It really was not my kind of movie.

i can understand the contrasts being overdone, i like long takes personally, so there we differ
>I'll preface this by saying that that I have no spirituality
i love films with a spiritual vibe to them, i think that's where most of my praise for the film comes from, i think Joe made a very good portrayal of "other worldy" movements in the film
i'd suggest watching his other films but i don't think you'd like them because of the spiritual stuff
idk

what were your top films from this year?

I didn't watch that many new films last year, I guess World of Tomorrow was my favorite though.

>mfw I only know the Witch

Such is life as a pleb

Norm of the North

1. Swiss Army Man
2. Everybody Wants Some!!
3. The Witch
4. Zero Days
5. Green Room
6. Hardcore Henry
7. Hail, Caesar!
8. Midnight Special
9. The Nice Guys