So I just listened to the whole thing all the way through for the first time(I know, I know), and to be honest...

So I just listened to the whole thing all the way through for the first time(I know, I know), and to be honest, I don't get the hype. It's nice, don't get me wrong. Can somebody please explain the brilliance to me? I'll give it a few more listens but I definitely didn't hear what should arguably be the best album of all time.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=ShkExtxGZIA
rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-beach-boys/pet-sounds-3/
allmusic.com/album/pet-sounds-mw0000398074
loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/connections/jazz/history3.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mike Love was a man ahead of his time

people force themselves to like because it was commercially successful, because it had bloated personal, and because of the band lore
also because they know no other album in the genre (they are lazy people who don't actually like music)
it's just an average sunshine pop album

*deep breath*
REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

listen to it again. it doesn't click for most people the very first time. when it does, it'll sound like a completely different album than what you listened to the first time.

how can one man be this wrong

>how can one man be this wrong
feel free to try to disprove me, you stupid drone
I'm sure you crew of top memers would love to join you

Don't force it, it will come eventually

listen to God Only Knows. pick an instrument or voice. focus on only that part. realize it's amazing. relisten and pick a different instrument or voice. realize that's amazing. listen to song as a whole and realize how well it all ties together and how beautiful it is. repeat the process for the rest of the album. bust nut.

pro tip: if you don't like it in mono, try again in stereo or vice versa

>Doesn't listen to albums twice or more

This is what's ruining Sup Forums

>it's just an average sunshine pop album
>sunshine pop
opinion discarded

>listen to God Only Knows. pick an instrument or voice. focus on only that part. realize it's amazing. relisten and pick a different instrument or voice. realize that's amazing. listen to song as a whole and realize how well it all ties together and how beautiful it is. repeat the process for the rest of the album. bust nut.
this is how people start to understand jazz
do you understand jazz, user? or do you listen only to commercial pop garbage?
because at least jazz (which is slightly less commercial than sunshine pop) at least justify it's bloatness
do you think that bloating an album is good, user? is it because you're a pleb?
of course it is, you stupid market drone

god, it's about time for someone to show these beach boys fanboys how stupid they are for liking literally top 40 corporative music

Pet Sounds is the only piece of music I've ever found that can accurately capture the feeling of companionate love, it's certainly one of a kind.

>nitpicking popular music genres
you will never understand music (I men, you ARE a beach boys drone, so this was already clear haha)

WOOOOOULDN'T IT BE NICE
IF O P HAD TASTE

what do you listen to then?

It's a fucking meme perpetrated by hipsters.

Don't get me wrong, the songs are nice and catchy, and they did a few chord progressions that wasn't being done in western commercial pop music in that era, but it's still fucking pop music, and now it's SUPERCOOL to ironically enjoy any sort of ~~~aesthetic~~~ pop genres because it's not so weird that it's considered "fedora" but it's not TOO normie to be considered normie pop.

you should listen to actual music for the first time, instead of coca cola music
yes, because "feeling like pop music talks to you" is the same as thinking coca cola kills your thirst

music

>music
what artisits? names?

haha youre right, i meant car seat headrest and fleet foxes are the pinnacle of music 8)

take this logic and give pic related a try after you bust nut on Pet Sounds.

(With headphones or your car, preferably.)

Just know that you're objectively wrong. I didn't say it was bad, I said I didn't get it after one listen. Sorry, should've just pretended I like it.

(replying to you op)

you gonna try my method? it might help. this is my favorite album so i'd love to help people see what i see in it.

Thanks, I'm well familiar with this album. It's great, as is TH's other stuff.

I'm not new to music or anything, it just took me forever to listen to Pet Sounds front to back.

Literally doing it as we speak.

bless

you'll grow out of this I hope

To report back after a 2nd go round, there are definitely some good songs here, and I see it's innovation for 1966. I doubt it'll ever be one of my favorites but I'll still give it more listens. Also, the lyrics are kind of weak but I guess that's pop.

spastic who posted here. did you listen to it in mono, stereo or both? the lyrics are pretty good imo, especially Don't Talk, God Only Knows, Caroline No and Here Today.

I actually have no idea, I listened here: youtube.com/watch?v=ShkExtxGZIA

Maybe weak's the wrong word, but it's simple love songs.

that's mono. i love them because they're very good at describing young love in a way that i relate to. i forget sometimes how much i love each song until i give it a relisten every once in awhile. always ends up with new favorites.

Not the poster you replied to, but keep in mind Brian Wilson didn't write these lyrics by himself, he collaborated with lyricist Tony Asher. From the sound of it, Brian gave him ideas and feelings he wanted to songs to convey, but Tony would come up with the specific phrases. It seems Brian often completed writing the music long before lyrics were decided upon (on this album and other releases).

It's one of the most cohesive and subtly intriguing albums ever. listen to it again in 5 years if you haven't found why yet

as an audiophile who enjoys the album but hasn't quite had it "click," should I be listening to the mono or stereo mix?

mono. the stereo takes some of the impact away from it imo. but if that doesn't work for you try stereo.

uh I'm sure this is intentional on your part but CSH and Fleet Foxes are arguably the two major contemporary acts MOST influenced by The Beach Boys, right?

maybe i just don't get your point. all three bands are good.

I'll listen again soon. I'm sure it's a grower, as are most great albums.

Really? Kind of interesting, didn't know that. I thought Wilson wrote all the lyrics.

I'll admit it probably does capture young love better than most pop, but if that's all you write about the lyrics are bound to be a bit basic.

>but if that's all you write about the lyrics are bound to be a bit basic
i mean on his later stuff like surf's up he gets into existentialist themes, but what makes pet sounds work so well is that it approaches young love from so many angles. optimism and hopefulness (Wouldn't it Be Nice), unrequited love (i'm waiting for the day), the end of the honeymoon phase (here today), comfort and support (Don't Talk), the end of love (Caroline, No). there's more to it but i that's some of it. imo, you can't write about any subject as much as you want as long as you make it interesting and explore different elements of it.

Yeah it was mostly just a play on the weird fixation of Beach Boys being pop and "coca-cola music" or whatever

Oh wow, thanks, I definitely hadn't caught that from listening to it twice. I guess it does capture the essence of teen love better than other pop lyrics. And even if was basic it doesn't deter from the music.

no problem. i could gush about this album for days. the album has so much going on with it that i just love to talk about it.

theyre nice tight arrangements mixed in a way that doesnt sound cluttered or bloated but neatly stacked and compliments the mood of the lyrical content in happier and sadder parts. Historically it shaped commercial music to come in a big way

Stereo. The mono has a shitty tin can sound to it

Jesus christ, you've got some issues. Not everyone uses music as a fashion accessory.

How the fuck do you think this is sunshine pop

The production and arrangements are phenomenal. Put yourself in the shoes of a man from 1966. Listen to Rubber Soul, then listen to Pet Sounds again. This is the album that it was competing against and Pet Sounds is leagues ahead in every area.

Pet Sounds sucks, Love You and Wild Honey are leagues better.

Yeah there is a lot going on, for sure. That's why I feel like it'll grow on me with more listens.

Yeah, I can see why it's better than Rubber Soul. Idk about Sgt Pepper though.

I hope it does, but don't force yourself. Either way, glad you're giving it a shot.

It takes a few listens before it clicks, then it will hit you hard emotionally.

>Tfw You Still Believe in Me, Don't Talk, and Caroline No

Jfc I know this is bait but goddamn

YEEPPP. this is how i got into jazz.
before i agreed that it was elevator music
until I sat down a focused just on the music.
one instrument at a time and comparing intervals
between every instrument and every rhythmic texture
it really makes you appreciate listening to music on a whole
new level. It's why I started like Pet Sound so much as well, to get
into pet sounds you have to listen to it that one certain way which i assume
may be why we all like it so much.

i literally cant tell if this is bait but here is your (you) anway

if you treat music like an extension to your personality and attitude then I got some bad news

>analysing music
>judged quality of the MUSIC based on LYRICS
do you happen to be on a wheelchair? if you judge music by lyric then you're either brain dead
or a rap fag. Music is sound, and emotion being conveyed via sound. Lyric is emotion being
conveyed through words and visual perception of ideas it is almost polar to what music is.
if you listen to music for lyrics then pick up poetry or something then come to this when you
are ready to talk about the right subject

sgt peppers is basically
>lol guise guitars and yelling and blues, psychedelic xDDD yey

its kinda insane how people even bring the beatles to the level of
beach boys. im not even trying to be a dick. but pet sounds is like
a work by a baroque composer. with insane small aspects that make
something brilliant everytime you listen, and not only that but also
the songs are just beautiful without trying. the music doesn't
rely on attitude or theme or lyric to be good, its just good. old.
plain tunes. thats it. Brian treated it like a business project so
you can see he wasn't trying to make some radiohead tier edgy
bullshit that is was "coming from the soul". or a rebellion
to his time's standards, it was just a trained genius' output
of music.

How do you guys like this?

Oh, he will grow out of listening to sunshine and baroque pop? You're saying that like it's a bad thing.

Have you ever heard of folk music? The emphasis isn't solely on lyrics, although they're often as important as music itself.

>listen to it again. it doesn't click for most people the very first time
It's top 40. Get over yourself. It doesn't click...

rateyourmusic.com/release/album/the-beach-boys/pet-sounds-3/
allmusic.com/album/pet-sounds-mw0000398074

You're not listening to avant-garde classical composers, get over yourselves.

>because at least jazz (which is slightly less commercial than sunshine pop) at least justify it's bloatness
We're not in the 1940's you know? You'd have a point if we were. Jazz isn't exclusively swing aka pop right now and it hasn't been for decades.
loc.gov/teachers/classroommaterials/connections/jazz/history3.html