Is it true that any college major that isn't computer science or engineering is a waste of time these days...

Is it true that any college major that isn't computer science or engineering is a waste of time these days? I'm 36 and I'm finally about to go back to school but it's a different world from what it was the first time I went. Obviously I want to make money but programming looks like fucking misery to me.

Pic unrelated but it's some beautiful black breasts, so I thought you might like.

Depends on the field. I'm a CRNA (masters degree) and I make around 170k a year and enjoy my job.

Forgive my retardation but what's a CRNA?

Don't be a retart, if you don't like programming and don't anticipate going into academia for CS, don't go to school for CS.

STEM or Medical fields are safe. MBA is still kinda useful

Data analysis

Is that really true? Some science is useless without a lot of grad school, or forces you to go into academia.

It's too late to do anything but start your own business.

Most companies won't hire older than 26 for an entry level position, degree or no.

Law, medicine, STEM. Anything else is just jerking off.

look up salary by degree on payscale.com

if you wanna make bank your career choices are pretty much comp sci, engineer, doctor, lawyer, business, economist

No. Computer science and engineering are an absolute waste of time as well.

I have business world experience though. If that's worth anything. I'm in corporate management, but my fucking soul is dying, plus I want more money.

Applied math/statistics/data analysis is good. Medical is good. Legal is good. Theoretical math is great if you're getting a doctorate. Whatever you do, get your Masters' degree. The increase in pay is worth the extra loan debt/time/effort.

Also, thanks for the tits. She's gorgeous.

STEM is a meme. Don't do it if you don't like anything related to it otherwise you'll end up killing yourself

The world is over-supplied with shitty programmers. You needn't add to their numbers.

>Law
I'm actually very interested in this but isn't it a fuckload of school for somebody my age? If this is something you actually have real knowledge of, please tell me moar.

Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist, basically your the one who administers the anesthesia during surgery and provides pain management (nerve blocks, spinals ect).

>Also, thanks for the tits. She's gorgeous.
You're welcome my dude. There are people browsing Sup Forums RIGHT NOW who wouldn't hit that because of her race. Amazing.

You are hired based on contacts, personality and intelligence. Education only means something if you went to a world top 10-15 school. I am sorry, but this is the truth.

>contacts
I'm fucked.
>personality
I'm fucked
>intelligence
I have some of this and it's probably the only reason I'm not flipping burgers as it is.

Basically true. any BA is a waste pretty much.

I mean, they're all equally important, and closely linked. If you have one of these, it usually leads to the others, but I'd rank contacts as most important, then intelligence, then personality (looks).

It's a hard world out there man, but when you are aware of this simple fact, things get a lot easier.

Can anyone in this bread tell me more about law school and what I could expect there? Also, best pre-law undergrad majors? This interests me far more than the tech shit.

those people just don't know what they missing, of all the pussy I have had black has been the best.

Sauce/moar?

you need 4 years of university to learn how to inject some1?

Well junkies learn it on the street but I think you need to learn the drugs and how they affect and are metabolized by the human body, dubslord.

> computer science
>engineering

Depends, what country? If you pick building engineering in the post real estate market, in particular in Europe, you are about to fail miserably.

Computer science, are you prepared to compete with a gazillion pissheads ready to work for half the minimum wage?

I'd rather pick Materials Science over Electronic Engineering any day of my life.

Sorry I guess I should have specified that I am an Amerifat.

I have to choose a subject in about 2 weeks. I can't decide if I want to stude something I enjoy or something I can make money off of. I think I'll be miserable not studying something I enjoy.

Which one would you regret more? That's the question, depressing as it is. Think I'm leaning the same direction as you but I feel like there should be a compromise somewhere.

As long as I could make enough money to live comfortably I'd be happy. If I could work with my passion and earn an average pay, I'd be incredibly happy with that.

If you know how to use language to convince people of things, absolutely. Are you skilled at debate and writing?

I would say go some computer or business field
Any job that can cheaply be replaced by robots will be soon

I make average pay with no degree at all and it's fucking shit. Average pay is garbage, and I don't even have kids. You may be different from me and if so, that's cool, but just a word of warning from a bitter old asshole.

This

Be a lawyer or investment banker
MIJ?

I'm generally articulate. Writing papers for school was never a strength of mine at all but I'm talking about English class literary analysis bullshit where I couldn't even tell what opinion I was supposed to be writing about because I didn't honestly care. I think I'd handle the law school kind of writing much better but I wouldn't know for sure until I tried it.

I doubt the average pay in my country is the same as yours though

I dunno. I want to get a PhD in Archaeology, but I don't know if that'll be completely useless too

Oh yeah good point, if you're in the first world part of Europe, you're probably right. What country?

It might be useless, I don't know, but if it's worth anything to you, I think that's awesome anyway.

Trust me. Once you learn the basics of a programming language shit becomes easy. Best of all skills from programming languages are easily transferable between languages.

>lawyer
That's about one of the dumbest suggestions possible. I know several unemployed or underemployed lawyers, except now they have hundreds of thousands in student loans to pay off.

There is a huge oversupply of lawyer graduates in America.

Norway, basically everyone is middleclass here, but the level of middleclass is high.

Yep, it's useless unless you can get a position as a university professor. And believe me, those are hard to come by for history and archaeology. If you didn't get your degree at an Ivy League school, you can basically kiss you chances goodbye.

yes

I'm envious, it must be nice. And it's a gorgeous country on top of that.

OP here. I honestly believe that if I can push through school, I can be competitive in whatever field I get into. It's just that at my age, the school itself gets unduly intimidating. Like I failed the first time because all I did was drink and fuck off, and so much time has passed that it now seems like some kind of superhuman sorcery to get a degree. And that's stupid because retards do it all the time and at the end of the day, I'm a smart guy.

It's because most people are fucking lazy and can't motivate themselves to do anything. I'm a west coast white collar tech industry guy. The people in my field who work hard to study and figure things out are the ones who get ahead.

In the east coast US it's different, there's a lot of political backstabbing and ass kissing. But in the west, getting ahead in tech is mostly about personal motivation.

This user doesn't know shit.

Part of my job is employing new people,
Experience is WAY more useful than education,
I employ designers, software tech, website design and management, marketing, sales, the whole spectrum. (Except cleaners, oddly enough, the ONE female at my level, that gets paid more than me, is in charge of hiring JUST cleaners - we get a new one every other month)

Don't let someone tell you age is a barrier, the only aspect where we really consider age is programming, and that is so cut throat that your going to struggle for anyway.

I'm in Seattle myself, but the tech thing just doesn't appeal to me like I said, unless it's my only option.

A Business degree is more powerful than a science degree.

The business world has set that value.

Personally, engineering is the way I would go.
Computers is a dirt job.

Don't worry user, we hire based on intelligence, we have a bunch of social fucking failures who earn 3 times their similarly aged or skilled or level co-workers, because we get THAT much more out of them.

What do you want your degree to be in? I feel like the degree itself doesn't teach you much useful information. IDK I got a business degree was pretty much worthless

What about economics? Similar to business but I've read that it's more educational in a lot of ways.

They are NOT equally important.
> Contacts:
Yeah, the guys who runs the company, got a personal invite to the job, this will always be true - or someone can put in a good word, which carries a lot of favour, but its not a sure thing, and if the job is hard you often split responsibilities.
> personality
If you cant win them over in the first 10 seconds it wont land you the job, it will help with your work load as people will do stuff for you.
> Intelligence,
also not a sure thing, I know literal geniuses working shit jobs or been turned down for jobs they would do amazing at, because the people doing interviews where douchebags.

Medicine really is that simple,
> Want someone unconscious?
inject them with the knock out drug
> want an organ removed?
After someone injected them with the knock out drug, cut a hole in them and match the thing you pull out to the picture your looking for.

This is why most doctors want the patient to be asleep, so they don't see them looking at the card with a picture of a kidney on it.

I kek'd, thanks for that.

> Lawyer
that IS a dumb choice, I hire one of the best defence barristers and he makes a ton of money, but he has LOADS of people trying to work for him, all of them talented.

Law you have to work for, for ages to make reliable good money (unless your going to be a crook, where you will make stead good money and insane "bonus" cash)

I know talented lawyers that only make mid 100k, and some talented lawyers that work for themselves in small towns that are on the lower end of that.

>unless your going to be a crook
Explain?

>mfw computer science and engineering markets become super oversaturated from the flood of stem kiddies and I'm in my well-paid non-stem career

>inb4 high-paying non-stem careers don't exist
They do, it's called 'law'. And law is an undergraduate degree in my country :D

What country, my dubs getting man?

>Whatever you do, get your Masters' degree. The increase in pay is worth the extra loan debt/time/effort.

Where I'm from (UK) a master's is basically valueless and adds very little. If you weren't able to get the job with your bachelor's, you still won't be able to get it just because you have a master's.

Is it different in America?

Job market is bad right now for new engineering grads. I don't know how it is with the others.

OP here. I'm not speaking from experience, obviously, or I wouldn't have needed to make the thread, but yes I believe it is different here. A master's will set you apart from candidates with just a bachelor's.

UK

Now granted you have to do an extra year of vocational training, but remember that undergrad is only 3 years here so it's still the same amount of time as American undergrad, plus no need to do 3 years on top of that in grad school.