On a scale of 1 to 10, how prestigious is Cambridge University?

On a scale of 1 to 10, how prestigious is Cambridge University?

Secondly, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a pretentious twat are you if you say 'I went/go to Cambridge University' despite no one asking you?

Other urls found in this thread:

chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

People would probably say it is the second greatest Uni of Britain behind Oxford.

I'm doing an MPhil at Cambridge in October, so I'm definitely biased (undergrad at UCL though, so not a 'Cambridge-til-I-die' kinda person), but Cambridge is nonetheless a world-leading institution. In terms of research quality, it actually tops Oxford, though Oxford seems a better known brand name.

So it's not like this guy I know can boast about it or anything, right?

I mean if he went to Oxford then sure that's prestigious. But Cambridge?

Too many commas, faggot

Surely you're trolling. Cambridge is undoubtedly one of the best universities in the world. It's up there with Harvard, Yale, Princeton, MIT, Oxford and Stanford. Your friend has every right to feel good about it, but if he goes on about it non-stop then he's probably a goon.

Of course he can brag about it. It's ranked top 10 in the world, pleb.

What's your MPhil in? And where else did you apply?

Why did you choose Cambridge over Oxford if Oxford has the better brand name?

College is for faggots
>""""""prestigious"""""" colleges are for idiotic faggots

It will be in history.
I chose Cambridge over Oxford because the difference between the two is marginal (at least in the UK) and the Cambridge course looks much better suited to my tastes and interests.

Sure sure it may be an alright uni, but how can he boast about it when it's not even the best uni in the country and Oxford's reputation is leaps and bounds ahead of Cambridge's?

I just wish this guy would come back down to Earth and realise that Cambridge is actually inferior to Oxford and he's wrong to be so boastful

The actual fuck? Cambridge is better and better recognised than Oxford for the sciences. Unless your friend did art they've actually got something to boast about.

How have people reacted when they find out you got in?

Also which college?

They do law

I could get where you're coming from for the sciences, what with such a great alumni list (Charles Darwin, Isaac Newton, etc) but for the humanities Cambridge has got nothing going for it

This is the most retarded thread I've seen in a while

Cambridge law >> Oxford law, except at John's. I'd rather go to Oxford than to John's.

Oh, wouldn't know. I'm only really interested in the sciences, so that's what I researched for both. I still don't think you have much ground to shit on your bigheaded friend without looking like an arse, though, because Cambridge is still a top university worldwide, and on the same level as Oxford.

>Cambridge law >> Oxford law
Then explain pic related. US firms have the best salaries

Source: chambersstudent.co.uk/media/1067/what_is_a_good_university.pdf

I did MSci at Cam. King's was my college. I am from poor background, Polefag, but had good grades etc. For me Cambridge was 6 (it was life lottery), though people in King's were quite chilled but other colleges, say Trinity, might score near 10. I am 1/10 in terms of pretentiousness - I never say I went there, I am from humble background and that was my personal experience so I keep it that way. Some people from London Unis' seem to be more snobby.

I'm the incoming Camb MPhil student from above, can confirm that UCL was snobby as fuck. My Cambridge college is known for its unpretentiousness so hopefully will be a welcome break. When did you graduate?

Sounds more like you are trying to play it down. If you go to Cambridge you probably are set for life. World renowned.

2008... oldfag

You're not really a Cambridge man, you only went there for master's. You will forever be smeared by whatever shit-tier university you went to for undergrad, that's how it works.

Right?

I go to Oxford, so this physically pains me to say, but the two are really pretty neck and neck

He's still a prick for boasting though

I did MSci - 4 year Masters in Natural Sciences.

Define set for life

If you go to Cambridge you are in for a lifetime of being in Oxford's shadow. It's like going to Princeton instead of Harvard or Yale

This has gotten so fucking retarded.

Nigga wat.

Example of a set for life: S = {life}

Yeah, they're pretty neck and neck in the UK, but internationally Oxford absolutely beats Cambridge's ass. Perhaps you've become accustomed to it, but have you not noticed how there are 10 references to Oxford for every 1 to Cambridge when cited as an example of academic excellency?

Well what I meant was: end up in a well paid job.
>lifetime of being in Oxford's shadow.
Only if you are surrounded by people who went to Oxford and are arrogant. Everyone else from any other uni will be impressed, even some people from Oxford.

if your only argument against Cambridge is "it's not Oxford", then Cambridge is pretty fucking great

It really doesn't matter whether you go to Oxford or Cambridge, what matters what you make of the time of it and who you meet etc. I had a tough time being there and spent most of the time in the library but I met few great people that I still keep in touch and occasionally meet up with. In terms of profession I am not doing great things at the moment but it doesn't really matter to me as much as I am trying to pursue more quiet life rather a life of endless assimilation of material things.

No, you're meant to say you went to Cambridge and are now a stinking rich sex magnet.

Picture of the average Cambridge graduate attached (even those who got a 2.2 from John's)

>On a scale of 1 to 10, how prestigious is Cambridge University?
8 with 10 being Harvard

>Secondly, on a scale of 1 to 10, how much of a pretentious twat are you if you say 'I went/go to Cambridge University' despite no one asking you?
6 with 10 being 'I'm a vegan'

You won't be rich if you went to Cambridge. Cambridge is for nerds whereas Oxford is for the rich/aspirational, everyone knows this.

underrated