Top Flight

Can I ask a question?
Why does anyone in England care about the "Premier League Era"?
It's just the top flight rebranded, right? Why are there so many records that are just Premier League era?

thanks

Other urls found in this thread:

reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/5etm72/total_number_of_goals_scored_by_each_nationality/
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Higginbotham
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

It's just marketing.

Essentially it was just a top flight rebrand. But it is what that re-brand did that changed things. It brought money into the league and so opened the doors to buying foreign talent in and players getting massive wages

Just to make more money mostly

The only people who care are sky babbies and man u customers desperately clinging on to being number 1 in the premier league era

I agree.
So why do people say things like "that's the most saves in a single match in the premier league era" etc.

Basically this is what got me thinking about this:

reddit.com/r/soccer/comments/5etm72/total_number_of_goals_scored_by_each_nationality/

In fairness, a lot of those kind of stats are probably quite difficult to get hold of if you want to go back to 19th century

Before the premier league, outside of the home nations those numbers would be stupidly low

based adebayor doing work for togo

The list is missing Gibraltar

fair enough.
It just caught my attention that anyone would say Duncan Ferguson is the record goalscoring Scot in the England league when Dalglish has nearly twice as many

BSkyB invented football in 1992

Who would that be?

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danny_Higginbotham

True. I guess the Premier League makes as decent marker for the 'modern era' but it still seems like a loss to exclude the 70s and 80s from that

Probably because he hasn't scored any since declaring for Gibraltar.

The rebrand brought a lot of money in. Also some of the rules changed (backpass, for example), so I've heard some people argue that it's not that different from people saying "the Super Bowl Era" in the NFL.

But it's mostly just idiocy for marketing purposes.

cheers

I didn't know the backpass rule changed with the introduction of the prem.

Thanks

No but nationalities get retroactively changed

Co-incidence. World Cup 1990 is one of the main reasons for it's introduction

Wait it is there, he just had scored more goals than I though

Ah, ok. I don't know why I thought it had changed internationally before that. I just remember reading that people were pissed at the Dutch team for it in the 70s

Because it is more impressive saying things like: "De Gea is now the GK with more saves in the history of the Premier League" than "De Gea is now the eight GK with more saves in the history of the English First Division.

If you make people think that the best football is being played right now, more people will watch it. That's why the Cristiano-Messi rivalry is so memed up, because it attracts more people that way.

ABLs spread this cancer as well.

>never won the premier league

Just say they haven't won the league in X years. It's still shameful.

Technically, when the Premier League was founded, the top division's teams all resigned from the Football League to form their own separate division. They are no longer in the Football League. The teams are the same, but the men in suits who control everything are different, and, of course, the new men in suits have brought a lot more money to the league.

But it's really mostly just a marketing thing. Sky Sports more or less created the Premier League, so they shill it wherever they can, but the BBC (who played no role and actually lost the chance to broadcast matches) really don't care.

Didn't it change from 2 points for a win to 3 points for a win?

That was different. That was in the early 1980s, I think.

1981 for England. Scotland, the World Cup and UEFA didn't bring it in until 1994