/classical/

''if you post anime reaction pics you will get banned'' edition

We're always concerned with other famous, but less emblematic composers. Let's deal with Beethoven once for all!

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IPV9tfJNOvY
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q
youtu.be/mg-kVzDAKxo
youtube.com/watch?v=uQMCfqFr4XA
youtube.com/watch?v=DeQSfvn1uMM
youtube.com/watch?v=MUeQn4TOyck
youtube.com/watch?v=NUzSIaaj7G8
youtube.com/watch?v=OTRexu5CIL8
youtube.com/watch?v=rqbSA9W-24E
youtube.com/watch?v=F25xlNWRrx4
youtube.com/watch?v=iwazNR2Mshw
youtube.com/watch?v=OpbDKmXVKnY
twitter.com/AnonBabble

petzold

youtube.com/watch?v=IPV9tfJNOvY

Post underrated beethoven works

is this /pseud/ general?

Is this the /manlet/ general?

It is now

>tfw Mahler could have been happy, had he been tall
>tfw a tall, satisfied Mahler would have not written those magnificent symphonies

Manlethood is basically a pact with the devil: your happiness exchanged for the ambition necessary to reach the highest peaks of art.

>Rachmaninoff was a tall lanklet
>wrote music that was basically just hackwork
Makes you think

To be fair, anyone who stood next to Klemperer kinda looked like a manlet.

>tfw you will never play under Klemperer's baton as he intimidates you with his sheer virility into denying your HIP inclinations and playing the St Matthew Passion as though it were Mahler.
jdimsa

pls add

mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q

Is there anything greater or more beautiful than Tristan und Isolde?

Beethoven's late sonatas

>Liszt is a lanklet
>Rachmaninoff is a lanklet
>Prokofiev is a lanklet
>Dvorak was fairly tall

>they were all shit composers

Is ther a single tall decent composer in the Western canon? I'm pretty sure there isn't.

Pic related: a guy that fueled his genius by his sheer manlethood

liszt, prokofiev, and dvorak are good, though

>he actually believe this

Your lack of taste is both comic and tragic.

ok

Dvorak is good, Prokofiev has his moments.

>Liszt was shit
>Prokofiev was shit
Bad opinions
They are exceptions which prove the rule

>muh arpeggios in fortissimo and fast octaves
>muh violent staccatos

bach

Mention your favourites please.

Bach, Rameau and Beethoven.

Not confirmed.

Liszt's virtuosity does not "compensate" for a lack of compositional craftsmanship but is rather another tool he uses. Dismissing all Liszt as flashy virtuosity because you've only listened to a couple of the Hungarian Rhapsodies is a bad position to take.

I don't rate Prokofiev as highly as Liszt, but he's still a magnificent composer, from his piano concerti (no. 2 manages to synthesise the Russian romantic tradition with his own more angular, modern musical language) to his operas, which are woefully underperformed.

Sounds like you're angling for an ad hominem. I'll not give you the satisfaction

youtu.be/mg-kVzDAKxo

All right, there's not much that you like then. Could you answer this question as well:

Clearly not, there is proof.

>All right, there's not much that you like then.

You asked for my favourites, was I supposed to start listing every composer I've appreciated in my lifetime?

>Could you answer this question as well

I can't offer alternatives, Tristan und Isolde is my favourite opera in the Western canon.

>posts Ravel
>calls Liszt shit

Ravel would bitch slap you so hard

Parsifal, Pelleas and From the House the Dead

Equal to or just as good, but Tristan is like a world ending and new beginning

>If I can't be as tall as a mountain, I'll climb a metaphorical one and crown myself king

Truly, manlethood is both a blessing and a curse

>tfw you play in a minor key in an andante - grave tempo and half way in switch to the relative major in the same tempo, and then finish off with a picardy 3rd

>I can't offer alternatives, Tristan und Isolde is my favourite opera in the Western canon.
Me too, I always cry like a little baby at least twice during the opera. Was hoping to find something at the same level, doesn't have to be opera, but unfortunately chances aren't high indeed.
Favourite recording? Mine is definitely Karajan's 1972. Sound quality is definitely flawed (really hate this) and conducting at places has been better, but Vickers IS Tristan, destroying everyone else including Melchior and every other recording by a LONG shot. Imo Dernesch surpasses every other Isolde as well, and I get the criticism how Vickers is too dominant in comparison to her, suggesting that a stronger singer, e.g. Nilsson, would be more appropriate. I don't agree. Dernesch is beautiful and intelligent singer and she plays the role perfectly, not as steely as Nilsson for example. Everyone is fantastic actually.

How about listening to contemporary classical music you literal faggot?

who says we don't?

>the ending of Cunning Little Vixen
I cri evrytiem

>and every other recording by a LONG shot.
kinda doubt you've heard every recording of the piece

The Karajan recording is very love-hate, no-one seems to have an ambivalent reaction to it. Vickers' Tristan is unique, but I'm not sure it's my personal favourite.

the biggest problem is really the recorded sound, ditto with all of Karajan's Wagner.

not sure what's worse -- the Bayreuth acoustic, or Karajan's incredibly gimmicky sound quality

Truly one of the GOATs

Obviously not every recording but I've heard a lot. Who's a better Tristan? Windgassen is a terrible Tristan, a much better Siegfried (but his sense of timing is often unbelievably off), Melchior is beautiful but unintelligent, Suthaus' performance(s) are great for his doing, Vinay, Treptow and Lorenz are convincing, but Vickers' virtuosity is unparallelled and it's perfect for the role (it's less effective for Siegmund for example).

So far I've listened only to piano and chamber music (mainly string quartets/quintets and from time to time certain specific piano concertos I like a lot): how do I get into symphonic music?

Long pieces are still smowhat hard for me to assimilate (notice that I turned from Sup Forumscore albums to classical music only 2 months ago, so my attention span is still somewhat stunted: at first I used to find difficult to listen to the same piece for more than 4 minutes, now I can listen to for 10 to 20 minutes without feeling any kind of fatigue), so symphonies and especially operas are somewhat hard to endure in one sitting.

Any advice from people who came from the same place, managing to overcome these difficulties?

disregard symphonies, acquire baroqueshit

Piano Sonata 32, especially for the jazzy bit.

youtube.com/watch?v=uQMCfqFr4XA

Try some of Beethoven's shorter symphonies. The 1st and 8th both come in around 25 minutes in a typical performace. If you're talking about getting into Mahler, or any of the other "epic" symphonists like Bruckner, as a newcomer to their work I found it helpful to just dive in, let it play, and do other things. Your mind will wander back to the music from time to time and you'll pick up on things that will help you to follow the music better on subsequent listens.

Repetition is key, by listening to the same work multiple times you pick up on the structure and are able to better follow the music. It's like when you go somewhere new for the first time and the journey seems to take forever, but the second time it's faster because you know the route, and so on with the third and fourth and nth times.

sorry, I didn't mean to make it seem like I was getting caught up in semantics.

>Who's a better Tristan?
well, Vickers is very good no doubt, definitely top 10, but I'd still give Max the edge. Vickers always had a bit too much croon for my tastes, and Max is the king of drama for me (or ham, as some my put it). no one else quite captures the charisma and necessary theatrical ability of a heldentenor like he can, and his diction is simply perfect. though it's a shame we don't have any recordings (which are listenable, anyway) from Lorenz's prime (30s). still, that recording with Heger from the 40s shows him in relatively good form, even if someone like Vicker's was his technical superior in comparison (though I must admit that technicality at such a high-tier of signing begins to have diminishing returns, in my opinion.)

Also: Kollo is good but not special. The best thing the recording has going for it is the good conducting and great sound quality.

The sound quality is indeed awful, and I really hate that. One thing that is that, while everything else sounds bad, sforzandoss are impressive, and so are the several near-climaxes and final climax.

The transcendent quality, or phantasmagoria as Adorno calls it, is fundamental to Wagner's music and nowhere more captured than in Tristan und Isolde. Vickers, who doesn't just tick the boxes gives a good (or great) performance, dissolves into the role (he really becomes mad like Tristan), he is incredibly dynamic and creative, he responds to the music and the scene, etc., all of which heighten that sense of phantasmagoria. Vickers' approach pays off in the role of Tristan.

But I can understand why people don't like it as he's barking and deviating a lot.

>Beethoven
Also, the 4th and 5th symphonies are not that much longer, around 30-35 minutes on average.

How do I into anyting that isn't Beethoven? I know next to nothing about classical music except Beethoven's symphonies, concertos and piano sonatas which I absolutely love. The reason for this was that I used to take out music from my local library and rip the CDs, and the only good stuff they had was largely Beethoven works (must have had a big donation). I then moved onto other types of music without ever expanding my classical range. I like Mozart's 3rd Violin Concerto and Schubert's Winterreise but otherwise that's it.

What should I listen to for something completely different but exciting enough to hold my interest?

madness and terrible sound quality are two things that Lorenz and Vicker's definitely have in common in their recordings

there is a [live] recording with Karajan and Vickers on operadepot, I believe... as well as his entire Ring. sound quality may or may not be preferable - there are more than a few cases where live Karajan sounds significantly better than studio Karajan.

Hmm yes, Lorenz is definitely one of the best and you made a good case. Vickers' diction is indeed not his strongest point, especially his ö, he literally cannot pronounce that ever, but what you get in return for that role is some transcendent shit. Also Dernesch is really good, and I haven't found a good Isolde accompanying Lorenz. As a result they don't merge (into the music), but rather sounds like they're performing separately, each to their own and removed from each other.

A little off-topic but for good sound quality classical I hugely recommend Stephen Kovacevich's Beethoven sonata recordings. I'd been listening to Barenboim's for years but after upgrading my headphones I noticed how shit they sounded and looked elsewhere. Stephen Kovacevich's are flawless (and he plays beautifully too), can't recommend them highly enough.

idk Mahler probably, he is the only one to write choral symphonies (No. 2 and No. 8) that can stand alongside Beethoven's 9th.

I don't know, I think Buchner is a pretty good Isolde. she sounds batty, but I think it fits the character. she's not as feminine and floaty as Flagstad (I might suggest that Flagstad showed a frequency of being detached from her roles) but she nails the corporeal anger and lust that I think Wagner was going for that role.

but, honestly, when you talk about the greats of singing performance, it mostly comes down to your personal preferences in regards to certain nuances, and, as such, I don't think there's too much of a conversation to be had in regards to this. they're all great singers.

I'd take literally anyone from that 'golden era' of singing over those I've heard at the MET or at Bayreuth in the past decade...

Ideally looking for instrumental only. I love the 9th Symphony but I still prefer the 6th and 7th.

>terrible sound quality are two things that Lorenz and Vicker's definitely have in common in their recordings
It's not fair I tell you...

>there is a [live] recording with Karajan and Vickers on operadepot, I believe... as well as his entire Ring. sound quality may or may not be preferable - there are more than a few cases where live Karajan sounds significantly better than studio Karajan.
Yes you're right and I agree, but imo Dernesch sounds overall weaker on that unfortunately, safer and more stale. They're both great but have each a few cons. Sounds weird saying that because it's still the most beautiful and profound thing I've ever heard, even though I can acknowledge some cons (largely due to sound quality though).

Try some Bruckner.

youtube.com/watch?v=DeQSfvn1uMM

The rest of Mahler's symphonies are great too. Although he includes sung movements in No. 3 and 4 as well. The 5th, 6th, 7th, and 9th are pure instrumental.

For other symphonists there's always Schubert, Brahms, Bruckner, even Strauss.

Ok cheers, will try Bruckner. Have tried some Mahler before but didn't get very far with it.

Anything relatively modern (at least 20th century) I might immediately like?

Schoenberg's Verklarte Nacht
Stravinsky's Firebird
Ravel's Daphnis et Chloe

For these Mahler (and others if you can be arsed) are there any particular conductors to avoid or seek out? I've been extremely impressed with Claudio Abbado's Beethoven symphonies so I was going to try him for Mahler. I listen to music through Tidal which is surprisingly good for classical so I've got a fair bit of choice.

>but she nails the corporeal anger and lust that I think Wagner was going for that role.
Ah yes, I had Baumann more in my mind. Büchner is strong and what I wrote about the separation is far less is much less applicable to her. That sound quality makes me sad though because it's a truly great performance.

>but, honestly, when you talk about the greats of singing performance, it mostly comes down to your personal preferences in regards to certain nuances, and, as such, I don't think there's too much of a conversation to be had in regards to this. they're all great singers.
Absolutely, which is why I understand the critique of Vickers. His case, because of the deviations and creativity, is very strong though, but you can attack him based on valid criteria as well.

>I'd take literally anyone from that 'golden era' of singing over those I've heard at the MET or at Bayreuth in the past decade...
[spoiler]don't[/spoiler] check out this abomination youtube.com/watch?v=MUeQn4TOyck

Abbado's fine. Maybe not my personal top-drawer for Mahler, but you shouldn't be overly focused on which recordings to listen to for your first exposure. Recording autism comes after you're familiar with the composition, in my opinion.

Abbado is a good solid set not too amazing but not too terrible either, if you already like him stick with him. You can turn in to an annoying, highly selective mahler faggot later.

Fair point, cheers.

I can see that but there's no reason not to start with one of the best, if you know where to look

Yeahhhhh, but there's no *one* conductor that does justice to every work in any composer's oeuvre, and, when it comes to my own personal favorites, one has to make compromises with audio quality and such, so I think slamming people with, like, 8 different conductors with varying audio quality and playing styles is a bit much at first. Especially when I think one can only appreciate the "best" aspects of those conductors when one has a more "straight-laced" recording as a reference. And Abbado's pretty good for that.

But that's just my personal approach.

I definitely see where you're coming from. A lot of people would quite fairly recommend Karajan for Beethoven and he's a great introduction, but there's definitely better out there once you find individual symphonies that you prefer and you're prepared to listen to several recordings (although I'd argue you'd struggle to find a better 9th Symphony recording than Karajan/Berlin Philharmonic).

Scarlatti

youtube.com/watch?v=NUzSIaaj7G8

my personal approach is, pick two or three of the top recommended (or if it's a performer like Perahia or a composer like Klemperer just go with that) and then listen to them until I prefer one over the other. Keep both in my music folder, prune one from my library. Does that make me patrish? rhetorical question :P

Abbado is fine. Always go with a name you trust, although in Mahler's case it's rare to have conductors who can pull off a good survey of the entire set. Even Walter and Klemperer, who knew and worked with Mahler, chose to only record a few symphonies while avoiding ones they didn't feel they understood very well.

I've listened to the Furtwangler's and, aside from audio quality, don't see how it can be topped. Audio quality is big tho

>(or if it's a performer like Perahia or a composer like Klemperer just go with that)

I saw Perahia in Glasgow a few years ago playing Bach. I was going through a rough patch and got stoned before it (as I got stoned every fucking day), seriously regret that as I can barely remember anything about it other than intense paranoia.

Listening to Mahler's first symphony for the first time. Just got to the third movement - what the fuck, did I just hear Frère Jacques briefly!?

Yeah, the theme is based on Frère Jacques/Bruder Martin.

Glad to know I'm not going mad. Certainly didn't expect to find myself singing along in French to a symphony (I am enjoying it a lot by the way).

Mahler will often take you by surprise like that. I have been listening to his music for probably the best part of a decade now and I am still finding new things, especially in the middle and late symphonies.

Haydn

youtube.com/watch?v=OTRexu5CIL8

Studying his scores is a treat, I'd say that without either a analytical study of them or the ability of transcribing in your head the music while listening to it, you will miss 99% of what he tried to convey: what emerges from them is a unsormontable genius.

Barenboim, kissing and gilels are my favorites at playing beethoven's sonatas, who else should i check out?
Do someone with the understanding of barenboim, the accuracy of kissin and the bite of gilels exist

See:

I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Arrau

Kempff

>Kempff
>bite

What type of music does Koichi Sugiyama make? I'd like to find more like it.

youtube.com/watch?v=rqbSA9W-24E

youtube.com/watch?v=F25xlNWRrx4

First link is just typical JRPG music.

The second link sounds like a ripoff of the climax of the Danse Religieuse from Ravel's Daphnis et Chloé.

thanks

kek this one never gets any less funny
>this man has performed Siegfried numerous times for a paying audience

Sure thing. If you want a recording of Daphnis, Boulez does a good one with great sound quality.

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=iwazNR2Mshw

>The [Minnesota] Orchestra will record Mahler’s Second this season.
Based Vanska is coming out with a Mahler recording soon enough. Though there are hundreds of good Mahler 2s already.

>be me
>start playing piano 1 month ago
>tfw encountered today for the first time poliphony (youtube.com/watch?v=OpbDKmXVKnY , the small canon at 0.34)
>tfw nothing in my life has been as satisfying as me managing to balance all the voices

The adrenaline was immense, the experience was borderline addicting. Is it so crazy to pick piano at 19 with the intention of becoming a virtuoso? Because I can see myself spending days, locked in my room, practicing repertoire, scales and etudes all day long. It seems a dignified way to spend your NEEThood on this planet.

Am I set for failure?

Alas, Petzold.

''if you post anime reaction pics you will get banned''
What did you mean by this?

>I don't rate Prokofiev as highly as Liszt, but he's still a magnificent composer, from his piano concerti (no. 2 manages to synthesise the Russian romantic tradition with his own more angular, modern musical language) to his operas, which are woefully underperformed.

Lt. Kije isn't performed nearly as much with the classical singing it was written for either.

Lurk moar. John Adams, Arvo Part and Steve Reich get tons of appreciation here.

Try Mozart's 23rd Piano Concerto and Weill's string quartet.

The top line is a melody by Dvorak from one of his Humoresques. The bottom line is a variation of it I made. I want to use it, but do you think it's still too similar or is different enough?

Picture.

Haydn masses are great