What's the difference between British and American English besides the accent?

What's the difference between British and American English besides the accent?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northern_American_English
youtu.be/yJXN5VPkyH8
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Some different words or sometimes spelling like lift vs elevator, truck vs lorry, colour vs color etc.

American has more Germanic words, like eggplant

What's the difference between hearing normal person speak and hearing retarded person speak?

>Colour vs. Color
>Tyre vs. Tire
> Grey vs. Gray
The ones on the right side are the correct ones by the way.

one is spoken by fat stupid sub humans

the other is spoken by americans

>shite

The biggest differences amount to vocabulary, spelling, and pronunciations.

The grammar is a bit different though, as American English has essentially dropped using past-participles as verbs, "is" is used when referring to collective nouns instead of "are" in American English, and Americans say "on" for dates and days instead of "at". Americans also omit "to" when talking about something they personally did for someone.

There's also some punctuation differences. Americans put commas and full stops inside of quotes instead of outside of them.

Speakers of Commonwealth English may see American English as a bastardised version of English (like how Dutch speakers view Afrikaans), but all English speakers have this feeling times a billion in regards to African American English.

what do brits call it then?

Aubergine

>beef wellington ensemble with lettuce

this is the part where i lose it every time

Aubergine

but we don't and we use british english

We don't use British English, we use Australian English, but both are varieties of Commonwealth English.

>and we use british english
Well it looks like not entirely, faggot

so did the usa at one point
languages change
different cultures change different aspects to suit their specific culture

they drop u's here and there, change s to z
also the pronounce words incorrectly

GARE-edge
GUH-Roj

Correct English - American English
colour - color
pavement - sidewalk
aubergine - eggplant
blue - bloo
tyre - tire
tyred - tired
tired - tired
mentally handicapped - mr president
car park - parking lot
aluminium - aloomenum

The real question to Australians and Canadians:

What English sounds morre faggot: American or British?

Ayyy you cheeky cunt. Have a (you)

We speak like cowboys while they speak like sissy nannies

very good post

>pavement
>not footpath
get it fuckin right

hi Australian Canadian here
yanks sound like dumb faggy cunts

Australian whos in america. Brits are subhuman trash.

Swap S out with Z and take a few u's out here and there.

>GUH-roj
Sounds like a khajit name

New Zealand Chinese here. British English very classy, American how you say.... tacky?

literally why keep the u's they don't do shit to pronunciation
wasteful, unnecessary, just as dumb as us keeping our ó

Americans sound like pretentious autistic fuckwads that were raised with both Chinese and Dutch. I can't fucking stand some of their pronunciations. Why do you cunts love the "æ" so much??? (In words like master, fast, plant, chance, answer, sample, dance, etc.)

Brits, depending on where in the UK they're from, sound like top cunts. For you illiterate Americans, a top cunt is a compliment.

Americans keep their English in the fridge

>Why do you cunts love the "æ" so much??
it sounds great and makes speech faster

Frivolity

No, the "a" flows better.

Please.
You people sound like Britain's backwoods hillbillies.

OYYYYYY CRIKEY DIGGEREEDOOOO!

You guys are literally Britain's backwoods hillbillies though.

Yeah except we're the best country in the world.

Americans' usage of adverbs is sketchy at best.

> real quick
> I'm good
> drive slow
Etc.

>some faggot with a British tramp stamp flag giving out language opinions

Why do Americans say "a" instead of "o" for the letter o?
Who thought that was a good idea? What's the etymological reasoning? How does "dog" represent "dag"

you baiting? cause that never happens. maybe w/ bostonions.

Is it just me or is American English slowly turning into Ebonics? Feels like it just takes a few months for the niggas to invent a new word before white Americans start using it too.

>Some johnny foreigner using old blighties language that hasn't been around for even 400 years giving out opinions

unless you run into a toothless old cunt - before they're done saying "maaaaaaaaaahster" you're already thinking about something else.
and don't even get me started on childish-sounding crap such as "lorry", "rubbish", "nappy" and "crisps"
i like brits, but their language sounds like it's only meant for children and old people

What? Aren't the Boston cunts the ones who don't say "a" in the place of "o"?
"a" has the same duration as "æ" lol

It's just slang and, imo, hasn't embedded itself in typical lexicon

To be fair, both Englishes, American and British, are pretty inventive like this. When I was young 'minger' wasn't a word, now it's pretty much in the core lexicon.

To suppress any kind of evolution, from whatever source, kills language. Just look at French and Spanish: dead.

cant say the same bout ur mom

I'm not sure but no one here says dog like dag. However people from minesotta will pronounce bag like bague.

Well, it's more like "daag"

Spanish doesn't suppress evolution. It's also far more widely spoken than French. Your point stands.

Nigger.

Brinjal

It's pretty common in the Great Lakes
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Inland_Northern_American_English

I'm not sure maybe I just don't notice it.

Oi mate that's proppa cheeky.

>law = lorr
They think that -aw should somehow result in a rhotic R sound. This is even more pronounced with Aussies.

British english may sound better but it's KEKED by the French. Non anglos don't let your sons and daughters learn this degenerate version of English!!!

Literally no?
The only time a rhotic R is used in Commonwealth English is if both of these criteria are met:
a. the word ends with an r
b. the next word starts with a vowel
And even then, this isn't a rule. "Water-ice" could be pronounced as "woo-tə ais" instead of "woo-tər-ais"

This is a very minor nitpick that I've noticed. It's a bit subtle, but you can tell if you pay attention:

When greeting friends, English people usually say:
Alright?

Whereas Americans say:
Fuck you lookin at, ese?

Thats not true sometimes they say:
Ey whatchu lookin at punk?

>having a vocabulary that consists of more than 2 words
>KEKED by the French

kek

Mate, your English is just as keked by the french as Britain's. If it weren't you'd call it Frisian or whatever it was.

This is just like the South Americans calling the Iberians "moors", without realizing that "moor" is the best they can call their "white" people since they all came from Iberia.

I'M WALKIN' HERE!

>3:20-3:30
youtu.be/yJXN5VPkyH8
It's not the only place I've heard it; just the easiest presentable example.

Yeah well your version of English isn't talked about at all in this thread because you are so irrelevant. How does that feel?

Lol Australian English is essentially a regional version of British English though.

My bad for writing the criteria wrong.
*The only time a rhotic R is used in Commonwealth English is if either of these criteria are met:
a. the word ends with an r and the next one starts with a vowel
b. the word ends with a vowel and the next one starts with a vowel
In the song, "law" was followed by "it".

Actually, it was followed by "abiding" (when you search in vain to find a law-abiding citizen...), but I see what your saying. Thanks for the explanation.

>your
Dammit...

Both sound like this.

10/10

Breddy gud, but I'd add Dick Van Dyke in Mary Poppins for the Brits and Frances McDormand in Fargo for the US.
Also, we need something for southerners, and they need something for northerners.

Americans say (river name) river
We say river (river name)

Por example: Mississippi River, River Thames

>but all English speakers have this feeling times a billion in regards to African American English.

you must mean Southern Vernacular English

Probably not. It's easier to understand a white southern hillbilly than it is to understand any urban black.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/African_American_Vernacular_English

So, which accent that I have to learn? I'm speaking by british accent but I don't know how to write it.

Accents are not 'written'.

There are two standard spellings: British/International and American. Just pick one and stick to it. If you're learning British English pronunciation, I'd suggest to stick to British spellings.

I think most non english speakers learn british english.

Really makes you think.

Some Americans seem to have no short vowels besides unstressed vowels. Like Brits will say dog and yanks will say daaaaawwwwwwg.

Also American English is like 20 db louder. Literally you can tell the difference between Brits and Yanks here in seconds because of the fact you can hear yanks from the other side of town

XAXAXA