For all the dad rockers out there: Keith Moon or John Bonham?

for all the dad rockers out there: Keith Moon or John Bonham?

John Bonham was technically speaking a better musician but in terms of using the drums in relation ot the band Keith Moon is better.

Ian Paice.

Keith Moon

but really it's Bill Brufford for the title of "best dad rock drummans"

this man knows

Moon. I don't get the love for Bonham, he's just a bit boring.

Trips confirm.

Though I wouldn't quite put Yes in dadrock. Then again, they kinda are.

dadrock's a weird term anyway. Is Zappa dadrock? cause that's basically all my dad listened to

My dad listens to Jack Johnson and Dave Matthews.

I'd put the Brit prog giants in dad rock.

Well, my dad listened to post-punk and was a big Talking Heads and Joy Division fan, so I'm unsure of what actually is dadrock by now.

Keith. Always Keith!

Moon.

moon the loon dickhead

>Is Zappa dadrock?
Given that Bobby Brown Goes Down became a hit to slow dance to in Norway and considering what the song is about, no.

Ginger Baker

I'd say Moon. Bonham was technically better but Moon had this certain style of speedy 32nd notes and triplets that just sounds really good. I can't put my finger on it but you know it when you hear it because it sounds like a firecracker going off

this

The dude comes off as a sociopathic degenerate drug addict, but he fucked those drums. Ginger baker was a fully formed musician.

Keith could play really fast and really hard, but he just couldn't achieve that power groove Bonham had.

Moon was more unique as a drummer
The Who was less a band and more 3 different instruments fighting to be heard over the other in a way that worked

I heard Yes (and not just owner of a lonely heart) and King Crimson on my local dadrock station, but not Zappa. That might say something.

Literally this
>tfw Bruford's retired now so you'll never see him drum

Neil Peart

Moon, had a more iconic sound tbqhf

Kenney Jones.

is mitch mitchell most underrated dadrock drummer?

Stewart Copeland

Bonham ten times over. He practically invented heavy drumming.

He also made let zeppelin the heavy hitting bouncy band they were. If you disagree, listen to a zeppelin song without him drumming on it.

Poor Mitch Mitchell, a talented drummer who inspired tons of other talented drummers but had the bad luck of being overshadowed by Jimi Hendrix

No? He's considered one of the all times greats?

He's like the king of funk rock beats.

Bonham

Keith Moon. But he only worked well with The Who because of their unusual dynamic (Entwistle and Moon were as much leads as Townshend).
Technically though, Bonham is more skilled.

That's the funniest thing, Hendrix fed off Mitchell's crazy fast funky beats. They gave Hendrix's raw funky grooves so much more hit and bounce.

>Fire
>Little Wing
>Spanish Castle Magic
>One Rainy Wish

Mitchell was just as responsible for making Hendrix's sound as Hendrix was.

Thats the bad thing about being a bassist or drummer (especially bass) they usually don't stand out but if you take them out you realize just how necessary they were. Mitch was an example, John Entwistle was another

Bruford is his own drummer. His style is so weird, he's more of a jazzer anyways. Stop turning Bruford into a meme please, his name is spouted by every single non-drummer who listened to Yes and King Crimson once.

Keith Moon is probably the greatest ROCK drummer if you look at it from the perspective of what exemplifies pure rock music. Going fucking crazy and pouring all of your energy into it. Anyways, most people don't realize how technical Keith Moon can be, listen to quadrophenia and try playing drums to it, it's fucking HARD. Way harder than playing to Jon Bonham.

John Bonham is the fucking MAN though, he's the fucking shit. Heavy Metal probably wouldn't exist without him. I don't think there were many other live drummers with as much power and soul in his performances, except for Bill Ward who was one of his best buds. He's totally responsible for bringing groove into white people's music for the 70s.

Why does nobody on this board ever talk about Ginger Baker anyways? He was way better than both of them.

This board is fucking gay though, why does every dumbshit call it "dadrock"? It's more like fucking grandpa rock, unless you are a 35 year old balding hipster shithead.

what do you think about buddy miles? I think he's on a similar level to mitch but he also had the vocals. I wish billy cox would have been with the jimi hendrix experience from the beginning, would have made it even better

This. At this point all the people who actually grew up with this musicians are now grandpas.
Also this board need to show more love to Ginger Baker.

Neither. The best drummer was and always will be Buddy Rich

Quadrophenia is fucking insane, there's this one moment in Drowned, for one, where Moon does a fill that lasts for like 7 seconds, it's almost like he's using the drums as a lead instrument, it's insane.

Honestly, if you're looking at grandpa rock, you have some really great drummers all around in all sorts of different styles. Hell, even Ringo's a great drummer, mostly due to his versatility and ability to deliver what was asked of him. And he's on the lower end of the scale of grandpa rock drummers.

All the people ITT are talking about granddad rockers, when we should be talking about new dad rockers

*blocks your path*

Entwistle stood out completely, full treble full volume
Listen to Live at Leeds