How many loanwords does your language have?

How many loanwords does your language have?

All of them.

コンピューター
キーボード
マウス
スピーカー
クリック
ダブルクリック

One or two.

guarani has lots from spanish, but academics are trying to avoid using them. dunno why

To have a pure language.
Loanwords suck

I find it kinda funny to find German loanwoards in other languages like "бyтepбpoд".

Also, we do have a lot of English loanwords in German. Some people think it sounds fancy to frequently use them. Other loanwoards are mostly Latin and French i believe.

One of our words for jail is 'burg' from Germanic burg

but guarani people were a neolithic age tribe that didn't even have a proper concept of hours of the day
it's fine to use "vakâ" for cow and combine it with "piré" to make "vakâpi" for leather. but once they start agglutinating more and more words it's time to stop. "vakâpipopo" instead of "pelóta" is stupid
euros invented the ball so why not use their word? guarani can be nice for verbs and naming jungle things but why try to force it to other aspects? even japanese uses loanwords all the time

Japanese doesn't have any native words

we have German loanwoards that are too outdated or regional for most Germans to recognise, such as nor (narr - verrückt), or paradižnik (Paradeiser), but also borrowings from standard German like barva (Farbe) or furman (Fuhrmann). Oddly enough, Hungarian loanwords are the second most common, while there are virtually no Italian ones. The situation with Serbo-Croatian is more complicated, since we share upwards of 80% of our vocabulary.

Isn't albania full of turkish and arabic loan words?

If the language you ""loaned" is in the same family, it isn't called loaning

Isn't Turkish full of Persian and Arabic loan words? :^)

lucky then that certain words of ours are Ugric, like the words for room (soba) and statue (kip).

Nope
From the loanwords we have
Most are Italian
Then come Slavic
Germanic
Persian
Greek
Arabic
And that's about it

A lot. There isn't a common concesus, but swedish/germanic loanwords are sometimes said to be as high as 40% of the words, and a small portion comes from english and russian (then there are some individual words like pizza etc.). If you include slang words then the percentage is even higher.

it does have, and you see the discrepances when you see a chinese ideogram being read in two different ways (the native and the loanword)

how is it called then?

Calque

tons

an example of a calque would be our bolšji trg from flea market. The borrowed word expresses exactly the same meaning as the original, but using Slovenian word stock rather than English. A loan word is the adaptation of a foreign word to native phonetic rules instead of translating that word using native words.

thanks

yeah i was just thinking how many technical and philosophical words we have in (ancient?) greek and latin, but dunno if calling them loanwords or whot. spanish, french, english they all have them

My language is a loan word.

We have calqued quite a lot, and is better than loanwords

Damn you're lucky. I wish our academics were like that

>as high as 40% of the words
bullshit desu

If the word inherits the sound changes of the language you took it from, it's still considered a borrowing.

I don't know

why are they called "loan" words if you don't give them back?

Wrooooong
English is Germanic.

Wait... is vaca a guarani word?

no, it s a calque (heh now i know)