Serious discussion. Why is this not appreciated here?

Serious discussion. Why is this not appreciated here?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=bmADAA97RTI
youtu.be/Tx4JIlDtJsI
youtu.be/aHMlAYeFeYw
youtube.com/watch?v=l07cwNvZni8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

For a perfectly fine reason being it's cheesy and horrible.Serious question, can you explain why you like it without getting defensive or aggressive?

Because it's not good. He's a one-trick pony with his singing style, switching between quiet and scream-singing like his voice is going to give out. His songwriting is mediocre, production is god awful, and it opens with this leprechaun doing a fucking rap for christ's sake

Yes I would also like to hear why you like it.
Please tell me
I want to know
Inform me
On why it's good
The album I mean
Divide
Go on what are you waiting for?
Tell us

bland, predictable pop trash. there is nothing redeemable about ed sheeran's music. unadventurous, lacking creativity and innovation, and lyrically it's fucking horrible. it's so thoroughly obviously created as a product and feels so lifeless. i hate ed sheeran so god damn much

Tell us why you like it first

Ed doesn't make the board often, it's been appreciated here before

To begin thanks for a dignified response, and yes I can.
As far as singer/songwriter its quite excellent. Nothing spectacular granted. His last album was far superior, but this project is not horrible at all

I think it's too safe and uninspired, forgettable. Lao how can you not be sick of like half of the songs on his new album?

Troll on bro

>unadventurous, lacking creativity and innovation
that doesn't make music any less pleasant to hear
innovation is honestly just codeword for cred

Understandable to a degree. I wouldn't say half. Castle on the Hill, Hearts Dont break around Here, Happier, Supermarket Flowers, Paeen, Dive and Save Myself are all solid tracks

To each their own I believe and you obviously differ in taste musically but appropriate your input nevertheless

The thing is I'm a huge fan of Simon & Garfunkel, Clapton, Elliott Smith, Damion Rice etc. And not just this album bit Sheerans catalog as a whole firmly stands up to these artists

He's an excellent songwriter? Are you serious? And who are you comparing him to? Bob Dylan? I'm disgusted I even made such a "comparison".

>innovation is honestly just codeword for cred
I'm past the point of being mad. I'm just curious to see how low can this board possibly sink.

Chill that wasn't me "OP" I really do want to keep this dignified

you mean free of the pretense you still cling to?

Typical, but sure lets go extreme and compare to Dylan. Give me what you feel is a great Dylan song

What are you even talking about? It's alright, you like top 40 pop, so, don't make it something more than that.

Can we not derail my thread please

i wasn't even trying to talk about divide i was talking about your criticisms of it in a more general realm
being "different" is completely irrelevant to being "good"

>Typical, but sure lets go extreme and compare to Dylan
Well, you started by claiming that a safe, sugarcoated popstar is an excellent songwriter.
>Give me what you feel is a great Dylan song
It's Alright, Ma (I'm Only Bleeding), A Hard Rains Gonna Fall, Gates of Eden, Like a Rolling Stone, Mr. Tambourine Man, Blowing in the Wind, The Times They Are A Changin'.
All songs describing life in ~5 minutes. He practically immortalized himself through these songs alone. If that's not good enough for you, I don't know what is. And here's Neil Young's opinion on Bob Dylan:
youtube.com/watch?v=bmADAA97RTI

>being "different" is completely irrelevant to being "good"
As far as folk music goes, that's exactly what it's appreciated for - not being safe, being honest, provocative, life affirming, inspiring and above all human and raw.

>folk
you were talking about ed sheeran?

I fucks with you user but tell me these can't compare
The A team, UNI. Wake Me Up, Small Bump, Lego House, Kiss Me. Give Me Love, One, I'm a Mess, Photograph, I See Fire, All of the Stars

Sheeran definitely qualifies as folk bro

Also, I'm not saying this is better than Dylan I'm just giving comparable material

youtu.be/Tx4JIlDtJsI

youtu.be/aHMlAYeFeYw

I'm the one who posted that and I don't qualify I'm as folk musician, because he's the exact rejection of what I've described. His fanbase certainly thinks otherwise.

Don't qualify him*

>he thinks "folk" means "white person with acoustic guitar"

youtube.com/watch?v=l07cwNvZni8
And this isn't even a band remotely close to Dylan. My problem with modern "folk" musicians is the systematic rejection of:
And what's more, isn't this breathingly nasal and slightly melancholic singing style something we've all heard a million times now?

See that's part of the problem. No he's not a folk artist but he's made some folk sounding hits. So yet again we have this categorization problem

Good luck with convincing his fanbase otherwise.