Sup Forumssic theorists, help. What actually makes it so music sounds good to us...

Sup Forumssic theorists, help. What actually makes it so music sounds good to us? What is it about music that triggers dopamine release and all that? I'm freaking out because I've been thinking about this the past week and I can't really enjoy music like I used to. Instead of simply letting the notes and sounds take me somewhere, all I can think is "why does this sound good to me?" It's driving me fucking nuts.

Help.

I did contemporary jazz music performance and music theory for about 8-9 years now and I still have no fucking idea what makes a piece nice or not.

music evokes emotions and us humans like exploring different moods
as of why it does evoke emotions, i have no idea

Does it tear you guys the fuck up like it's doing to me now?

Maybe it's the releasing of tension through cadences?

I'm sure it can relate to a lot of things in your childhood.

I played a lot of video games when I was a kid, such as Sonic Adventure, Streets of Rage and Jet Set Radio and whenever I hear similar music (like Funk, Rock, Fusion, Electronica, Alt Rock etc) I instantly enjoy it.

I'm sure personality fits into it, if you're a pretty happy dude you might enjoy upbeat music, whereas if you're feeling depressed something that's slow and mellow and relates to you would always have a place in your heart.

Intelligence would go there somewhere. I'm sure someone would find a piece of music with very cryptic lyrics beautiful when they hear it the first time whereas someone who hears the same track but is quite stupid wouldn't get it, and if they did look it up, they'd assume it's pretentious or dismiss it.

I'm sure it's a lot of factors that all make us unique.

Those are just my opinions.

Hmmm, I'll think on this.

I think for a lot of people it has to do with memories associated with hearing certain sounds, yes.

So if we felt tension, and we project that onto the music, its various cadences, it's kind of like excising the tension using music?

yes

Fuck. Bumping because I want as many thoughts on this as possible before I sleep.

Are you on any anti-psychotics?
I felt this way about everything and it was pure mental anguish.

None whatsoever. So far I just feel this way about music Really fucking sucks.

Last bump. Goodnight. Please someone else share thoughts on this.

Magnets

because the zionists dude look up "Sam Hyde" on youtube

I'm it's because our brains are evolved to decode emotional information from the pitch changes of other people's voices

I remember getting into harsh noise because I used to play Quake Live a lot, and any beat with a clear rhythm would distract you as the game requires lots of sharp turns and jerky movements. The hypnotic effect was enjoyable, getting lost in the music and just flying around the huge maps at high speed.

That's something I was thinking of but was unable to put it into words. I took a history of jazz class a few years ago. Often times the professor would vocalize various saxaphone, or trumpet parts with extreme ease. It got me thinking you can vocalize almost any sort of instrument, and shifting your tone or pitch while vocalizing would allow the listener to know how you feel in that moment. So instruments in this sense are an extension of our voices and how we feel.

this has also lead me wonder if the kind of music we listen to affects the rhythm, pitch and timbre of how we talk and if you could tell what someone listens to by how they talk. Also vice versa if the language of a culture affects the kind of music they make.

I'm sure part of it is that people love detecting and predicting patterns and find it pleasing when things "come together" as expected

hence steady beats and repeating rhythms and repeating chord sequences and choruses and all that is pleasurable and enjoyable to listen to and music that does unexpected things is often jarring