Hey Sup Forums/ Medical student here, happy to discuss your problems

hey Sup Forums/ Medical student here, happy to discuss your problems.

If you need advice please use the following template

What's the issue?
When did it start?
Has it got better, worse or stayed the same since you first noticed?
If it's pain: Does it go anywhere else?
What type of pain is it?

Anyone if your family have anything similar to this problem?
What medication are you on? Include anything over the counter

What do you think it is?

I have a chest infection. It became noticeable yesterday. I have shallow breathing, constantly dehydrated and coughing up some green googilies. The location of my pain is below my Adam's apple. How dangerous is it for me to smoke at the moment?

Smoking will make your shortness of breath worse. It will also make it take longer before your chest infection clears up.

I scraped the skin off of my knuckle accidently with a razor. Gone through six bandaids since 11pm. Won't stop bleeding. It's lightened a little since last night but I can see pink meat. Do I need to go to the hospital?

What will happen to this guy in this vid?

I really really really want and need to know.

ENP Here.
Depends. May need a stitch or two if its actively bleeding through multiple dressings.

What are the side effects of constantly dipping my penis in wild honey?

It will get sticky.

Hey OP.

I eat a very healthy diet, lots of veggies and protein, but I become constipated for about a week, shit like crazy for a day, hen repeat.

The feces always seems to acccumulate in my lower left abdomen, forming a palpable sausage. I've had ultrasounds and MRIs, but the docs keep telling me it's just fecal accumulation and nothing more.

But why is it happening, and how can I fix it?

If I were going to do that I would at least clean the worm before doing it.

Shits just lazy man.

Thanks

Also probably worth getting a tetanus jab if you're not up to date.

Why does my pee froth sometimes?

It's not consistent for more than a day or two at a time.

As far as I know this isn't usual.

I flushed it immediately with alcohol, peroxide, and followed up with triple antibiotic cream. Im just worried about it being on my knuckle. Trying not to bend it, bleeds worse obviously.

>What's the issue?
After getting out of breath, my breathing is wheezing and puffing, very difficult to take a deep breath or exhale completely. Like a weight on my chest. The problem is certainly a lot worse when lying down. I am allergic to cats but I live without a cat. My parents have one and the problems get worse when I'm visiting them.

>When did it start?
Maybe a year ago, was jogging while it was freezing, went to my friend's place and there was a cat. Instantly after lying down, I noticed that there's like a weight on my chest, made it real hard to inhale. Like, I had to put actual effort to inhale.

>Has it got better, worse or stayed the same since you first noticed?
Stayed the same.

>If it's pain: Does it go anywhere else?
Not pain, but the heavy feeling is centered on my chest mostly. My hands sometimes go numb as well.

>What's the issue?
I already was diagnosed with alopecia areata when highly stressed. I only get one spot though not multiple. Always in a random and different area.
The main issue now though is these terrible pains i get ALL over my body. Especially my joints. Some days its unbearable and i will start tearing up in bed. Can barely move on really bad days. I also have terrible lapses in short term memory. I have a terrible time focusing and remembering things and this never happened before. Now its a common occurence. Happens multiple times throughout the day. Friends are frustrated with me because of it.

>When did it start?
End of February 2016

Worse.

It tends to move around. Some days its my entire body. Other days its my knees or my arms and fingers, or my ankles or shoulders.

>What type of pain is it?
It feels like my entire body got run over by a truck. The joint pain feels like a sharp "cold" and stiff pain.

>Anyone if your family have anything similar to this problem?
No.

>What medication are you on? Include anything over the counter
I forget the names but doctor prescribed 2 meds. One for muscle spasms and one for joint swelling? Even though my joints dont get swollen. I took the meds for a whole month straight and noticed absolutely no difference. I stopped taking them 2 months ago. No over the counter meds. So none right now.

>What do you think it is?
Doctor said it was fibromyalgia but i dont believe him. Internet says only 4% of fibromyalgia patients are men and usually older than 30. Im only 23.

>other notes
I dont drink alcohol or coffee. Dont smoke either. No drugs ever. Not even marijuana. Nothing. Used to drink when i was 21 but stopped when i turned 22

nigga you got pneumonia

Eat different types of fibre, cereals, wholegrains, etc. Don't just eat veggies for fibre. Also drink more water.

>What's the issue?
Ectopic heartbeats, sometimes extended trigamy
>When did it start?
noticeable about 14 years ago, although I'd had a few normal ones
It got quite bad, then improved. It comes and goes - never been able to identify causal effects. Sometimes bad after some foods, or vagus nerve stimulation from certain masturbation techniques
>Anyone if your family have anything similar to this problem?
Not that I'm aware off. Father had heart attacks until death, but that was probably smoking/bad diet/lack of exercise.
>What medication are you on? Include anything over the counter
>What do you think it is?
Defect in the heart muscle? I've thought about ablation, but that carries risks. It sometimes feels like I'm suffering a 14-year heart attack. It has created anxiety, but that's pretty well under control now, and some hypochondria

(cont)
sorry -missed pain questions.

no, no pain

I am depressed and on a ISSR, but I feel still kinda "sober drunk" and my vision is always blurry

Really want to kill myself help me

also I am a pharmacist student so you can talk to me technical

Forgot to mention that the doctor tested me for hypothyroidism and arthritis. Both came back negative

I don't have the symptoms of pneumonia, no fever and no cough.

Obviously ablation carries risks, but most people I have treated with similar conditions end up going for ablation as much for symptom control as anything else.

Also worth remembering that risk of sudden cardiac related death is pretty significantly increased with trigemini.

Your choice man but I would get the ablation.

Do you have suicidal idealization? If so that's a good enough reason to get an urgent psych assessment.

everttime i cum my ears hurt like their burning advise?

Sound more inflammatory/allergenic than anything else. You need a peak flow test. Maybe an ecg to rule out anything cardiac as they can present in the same way.

Go to GP, might get Ventolin and some antihistamines.

Soo.. my butt is always itchy, especially in the middle of the night. I tend to scratch my butthole until it starts bleeding and I really can't bare it anymore. I've looked up for hemorrhoids symptoms but they're not matching with my symptoms. There's nothing on the surface of my butthole, it looks pretty normal.
>inb4
I can't visit docs. My anxiety is pretty bad, I can't talk to people.

Bleeding from a rectal prolapse but only starts when wiping. How bad long term? Would a dildo possibly help adjust a prolapse?

I forgot to add:
the ectopic problem is probably made worse by the fact I have a low pulse rate - always have had, and it's about 54 when resting in bed before sleep

Obviously the natural slow rhythm from the sinus give the focus (assuming that there's one) time to trigger early - a pacemaker set at 65-70 would also probably sort the issue, but that's (unnecessary and extreme)

>the joint for my femur and hip and knee pain
>couple weeks ago
>got worse
>just that joint and my knee
>sharp pain, takes my breath away sometimes

>not sure
>just prozac and trazodone

i have a mole on my dick as big as belgium,is it cancer?

I have this lower back pain that feels like its my kidney but It does not hurt when i pee or has hurt to pee since I've had the pain.
Have any idea what it could be?

Uneven edges? Changing shape? Painful?

Are you fat?
Do you work out?

Is it in the center of the back or more towards the flanks or on any particular side?
Anything that makes it worse or better?
Passing stools normally?
Urine a normal color?
Any other symptoms?
How long has it been going on for?
Any temperature/fever?

Ok so last night i woke up around 2 am fucking freezing like i just played in the rain then hung out in a freezer. Thermostat was at 71 which normally its at 68. I was shaking so hard from the cold my wife thought i was walking around having a seizure.

Also when i woke up my stomach felt so empty it hurt, i walked down the hallway and had to sit down and take a breather i just couldnt catch my breath. Im at work now and my body just feels empty and useless.

Im a senior at high school, and Im wondering if medicine is the right choice for college.

Is it worth it? Or is it outweighed by other jobs

What were you doing when it started?
Do you have a normal range of movement?
Is the pain relieved by basic pain relief?
Is there any obvious swelling?

Sounds like you have the flu.

Do you have a fever?
Any cough?
Any D/V?
Where was the pain when you woke up? Was it upper chest?

High debt, moderately-high risk, but high reward (depending on specialty).

it started so mild that i can't quite remember, pretty sure i woke up like that

kind of, i could move it all the way but it hurts a lot.

i've only tried tylenol 3 and weed

no

I am fat (currently 228 at 5,8) but for the last 2 months I've been losing weight.
Dropped 20 pounds just cutting out sugars and soda and I've been running on the treadmill daily at my local youfit.
And the pain is maybe 3 inches up and to the left if i start up from the crack of my ass.
Pooping is fine, urine is clear. It's been going on for maybe 4 months, maybe 5.
The only thing that makes it worse is if i stretch all the way towards the right.
Bonus question, do kegals, jelqing and penis pumps work to increase size?

oops, meant to say the tylenol 3 doesn't help, weed does help take the edge off except when walking

Allergical/Atopical Keratoconjunctivitis (Conjunctivitis).
Recurrence since 10.
Worsened over time, prevalence into adulthood.
Constant inflammation of conjunctiva, redness, swelling -- mild phophobia, foreign substance sensation *no itching, rather stinging.
Family has a historical condition of atopical diseases.
Meds: Patanol, etc.

How do I fix this?

*While playing Candy Crush on phone* I'm having stomach pain. It's been going on for like 3 weeks. The pain is 10/10. Can I have something to eat and some socks please.

I hear that shit at my work all the time and I instantly stop caring about if you have a real problem.

Inner city level 1 trauma center ER nurse here.

Talk to your doctor. They'd need to do examinations. You might need a chest x-ray. It could be fluid accumulating in your lungs, if you have family history of cancer or smoke more than 7 packs of cigarettes per week for more than 5 years it may be cancer. If it comes and goes, I'd say less likley cancer. If it comess and goes, it could be an allergy. Does this happen only when you're around cats? If so, probably just an allergy which can be easily managed. You said you had chest pain when running, is it the same type of feeling? Could be just exercise induced asthma.

Holy fuck you're exactly like someone I know bar him being 20.

I'm assuming you can walk on it?
If that's the case then see your family doctor about it if its been going on for over 3 weeks. They will sometimes MRI if its a persistent problem with no obvious cause. Most of the time though its conservative treatment which means basic pain relief like ibuprofen and paracetamol (/acetaminophen) and see if it improves.

This is all provided you are normally reasonably fit and well and have no obvious co-morbidity that may cause this.

>What's the issue?
pain in my stomach. not just my abdomen; the actual area where the stomach is anatomically located (left side, approximately at bottom of ribcage)
>When did it start?
idk like a week or so ago
it comes and goes. gets worse if I eat grease, acid, coffee, etc.
no
dullish? I have a terrible time quantifying pain.

gastritis is my guess based on my past history of stomach symptoms (have had gastritis on and off the last ~15 years and GERD most of that time as well, depending on my diet and other factors). can't hurt to get a professional opinion right?

I laid off coffee for the time being and am watching my fat/acid intake and that seems to help, but not much. so I ground up some anise and fennel because those are supposed to help gastritis. I put that in capsules and have been taking that daily. it seems to help more than the diet modifications.

my pc broke
3weeks ago
it sthe same
its a pain
mental

no
im on no medication
i think its a system file somehow compressed.

No none of that. Thats why I'm confused

i can only barely walk on it, but it hurts very bad.
also tbh i am fat but my weight hasn't changed in years

>specialty

Which specialty is best within the medical field, in terms of safety, pay, and recognition?
Im considering either medicine or some other degree, and rather stuck in this dilemma.

Do you frequently need to urinate?
Legit question.
Also ever been tested for diabetes?
Would recommend a urine test.

In the absence of better alternatives I would suggest you get an urgent ECG just to rule out anything cardiac.

I have but only because I've been drinking lots of water. I work outside (cleaning pools) in Florida so I pretty much have to always be hydrated,
I have not but I will definitly check up on it.

Doctor will probably give you basic pain relief and ask you to lose weight and see if it improves.

Tough life, but always worth checking and seeing what they recommend. Mileage may vary and totally depends on your general practitioner.

He knows my pain. Wish your friend luck because he is only 20. I have had no luck figuring my pains out.

general life
at birth
worse
everywhere
crushing pain

I'm in the UK so may differ in the US.
But over here, the people making the big money are the general practitioners running private practices. Unbelievable money in that area.

In acute care, it seems cardiac and intensive care are where the money is being made.

Palliative is also surprisingly lucrative as they tend to have significant charitable income that gets cycled down to the doctors.

if it counts for anything, last year i had a knee injury and the doctor said it was most likely cartilage damage and told me to go to physical therapy but i never went because it got better.

hasn't hurt again till now, plus my hip joint

hey I have that too

Shoot, I don't need a medical student to tell me that!

>Asks if you frequently urinate because of diabetes
>recommends urine test

Nigga just check your BGL. No need to check urine first.

I'd do a hba1c before urine.

i just had some severe heartpain. i was like "quick, have to post this before i die" and then saw your Post first, no Joke. Help me Hagase

Know anything about Doctors without Borders?

Or the W.H.O even?

Been coughing for the past few weeks.
Taste blood. Catches for breath because it feels like my lungs cant handle it.
Throw up after coughing if I drank too much liquid.
The throwing up part came on the 3rd day of my coughing. Right now I have a cold so i'm lying in my bed.

Also I think it's caused by the coldness of the temperature or cold water because when I stand up straight I can't help but cough and get a cold feeling on my back.

Pain on my lungs. Help i'm only 16.

Urine test is because he has flank pain and want to see if there are any infection markers in it, not necessarily related to diabetes.

Long term, hba1c and glucose monitoring would be a good investment.

MSF pretty much requires a working knowledge of foreign languages for most of their operations. I would have liked to have done it but found it difficult to get on expeditions with only English required,

No experience of WHO sadly.

2nd medfag, id say go to the doctor seems like some obstructive lungdisease. Can be caused by asthma, allegies, idiopathic, but most of the time smoking.

>not OP but
that don't sound good dude, see a doc pronto
also
>16
underage b&
at least have the sense to lie about your age
anyway rots of ruck user

Okay i'm 19 now.

>I can't visit docs. My anxiety is pretty bad, I can't talk to people
Start talking to people little by little, until you build up a tolerance

>i'm 19 now.
holy shit you're right

Stopping meds that work on joints after 1 month is a bad idea. many of them are immunosuppresive and dont take effect till after about 3 months

Not sure if there's a term with it, but I've spent the last few months reminiscing about my past. It started when I got super faded, ate some chili fries, and brought me back to the times my mom made them for me before I moved out for college. I think it's gotten worse over time; I've been on a clean slate the past 3 months, but I get taken back to my 'looking back' moments on almost every action I do. It's starting to get annoying cause it's affecting me at my job, but I can't help it.

I haven't bothered asking my family if they had something like this happen, but I'd assume they'd tell me some superstitious nonsense I refuse to believe in. I don't take any medication in particular, but I do have zzquil in case it gets hard for me to sleep.

I'm completely clueless on why this is going on.

pic unrelated

How would I go about in joining a government organization such as the W.H.O, or any other as a matter?

I'd like to genuinely thank you for your advice.

Hello op. Heavy marijuana user, 27, male, college educated and gainfully employed, good gal, low stress life mainly. So recently I was travelling for work and was about to board my flight home when I suddenly became dizzy, had shortness or breath, blurred vision, and a weird weight or pressure in chest/shoulders. The symptoms ramped up over an hour, and finally I had them call the ems and I missed my flight.

Wasted a lot of money since the doctors said it must have been an anxiety attack triggered by stimulation of the vagus nerve (their theory was the nerve was triggered, made me think I was dying, and then an anxiety spiral reinforced that thought.) Pretty good explanation! But since I've been home, I have had daily issues that seem related to my heart. In particular, late at night I have woken up with chest pain and shortness of breath which ramps up into symptoms above. Getting out of bed seems to help. If its anxiety, why would it happen in the middle of the night when I am not thinking? Could it be possible that even with the wires they hooked up to me they are not seeing a heart defect, or could my smoking be altering my blood pressure to the point that the heart can't act as a pump and misses beats? Or am I simply a crazy person after a life of relative mental normalcy ? Any help is helpful!

I tried, I'm still trying but it's really not working out. Even though I'm giving my best.

What's the issue?
Have to exhale long before i can breathe again, have to put pillow under head to breathe during sleep, cant run or do anything without becoming breathless at 21
When did it start?
A few months after I've been quitting smoking cigarettes, started at 11 and quit at 18
Has it got better, worse or stayed the same since you first noticed?
Worse, for the last few days I've been feeling like im suffocating and I can hear my lungs when I breathe
If it's pain: Does it go anywhere else?
Nope, just occassional on random parts of the chest
What type of pain is it?
Stabbing, goes away with coughing

I'm gay. Is there a cure yet?

Does it help to sleep on your belly? I am not op, just wondering.

You should probably only get into medicine if you like the idea of being a doctor and find it interesting, not because of looking for the most lucrative option.
If you get into a career you don't like just to get more money, you're gonna have a bad time.

suck 2 dicks and call me in the morning

Electrotherapy is safe and 100% effective

Yes, but there are some mild side effects to the treatment

Nope, only if I sleep sideways, the only position I can nowadays

WHO generally look for post qualification experience and accept international applications to work in a variety of locations.

As far as I know they are particularly keen on those interested in infectious diseases and epidemiologists.

Significant research background is apparently useful. Have a colleague who works for them now and is part of their epidemiology research team. Seems pretty cool. Pay is average. Travels quite a bit.

If you are interested, contact one of their recruitment officers and they will generally give you contact details for someone on the team you are interested in. They also have decent internships, but can be very competitive to get on.

Real question:
Whenever I remember a nostalgic memory good/bad/cringe-y, my eyes involuntary twirl and makes me a bit dizzy.

Please explain why.

Oh forgot to mention they also saod I was severely dehydrated and gave me few bags of fluids in iv. Weird part is I had drank a lot of water the day before and was drinking water at a normal rate that day. idk if thats important but worth adding

Issue- Coughing.
Started - About ten years ago
Hasn't gotten better or worse, just really fucking annoying.
No pain.

It's like a chronic cough, doctor thought it was bronchitis (orwhatevs) way back when, but apparently it wasn't.

Lung specialist couldn't figure it out either, went there in November. What is this shit?

Guess it's phlegm at the back of the throat when I cough, and it's like I HAVE TO cough to clear my throat. Happens a lot.

Maybe its sleep apnea? I think sometimes the throat can get covered up somewhat and different positions make it easier. Are you overweight?

>If you get into a career you don't like just to get more money, you're gonna have a bad time.
everybody please write this down somewhere. if you never listen to another piece of career advice, listen to this guy. it's fine to have a career that you're sorta meh about as long as you can pursue your interests outside work. but if you hate your job, or if your job wears you out so much you're too tired/brain-fried to do what you like on the weekends, get the fuck out ASAP.

t. someone who took the golden handcuffs route and ended up burning out completely

190 pounds and 5'10

You are suffering from a disease that they discovered during the US civil war, called nostalgia.

I doubt thats it then, but again, I am not op. My mom has it and I thought perhaps that could be it

Change genders. Sex with a dude isn't gay if you're a woman.

I have a chronic cough, I pull those fucking intercostals all the time it sucks