I want to have an argument about electronic music. I'm an expert in this field

I want to have an argument about electronic music. I'm an expert in this field.

Bring on your most outlandish contrarian propositions, cocksuckers.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=NUEU8nMy5mA
youtube.com/watch?v=a-cDsl1sFIw
youtube.com/watch?v=n8fsMcMY2do
youtube.com/watch?v=N2frWG7IUps
youtu.be/ULmo4eNwEwA
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Not with that attitude

electronic music is all poo poo caca doodoo cuz there are no real instruments

Fuck you, motherfucker.

By the way, Syro is a shit album.

Top 3 freetek tunes?

electronic music has rendered western harmonic music theory outdated and obselete.

I'll have you know there are many live instruments in many, many, many electronic tracks, le sir.

Never heard of it / them.

If you want me to name a Top 3, at least give me an artist worth listening to.

Obviously not true. Lel. Try harder.

>is a self-professed expert of electronic music
>has self-confined self to the strict formulas of western harmonic theory

It's genre you twat.

Can a real expert take over?

Lol you don't know me, I don't have to prove myself to you.

Lol! Lots of people haven't heard of freetek I'm sure. If you think knowledge of obscurity = expertise then you're wrong.

Anyway show me some freetek and I'll tell you if it's shit or not.

i came, i challenged, i won

Why do people hate Gesaffelstein?

because he's EBMeme for the tumblr generation

>I won

No, I won.

see

I see it, what's your point?

you might as well contribute something to the discussion mate, this is boring af.

see

Early breakbeat jungle is superior to masturbatory "IDM". No one fucking cares if you can splice the amen break in 7/4

How is EBM inherently bad, and how is he "for the tumblr generation"? Genuinely asking because I really like his only album and I'm not a millennial

repetitive electronic > idm

He's still pretty good imo.
It's a meme/It's bad because it's popular is a bad argument.

well if you managed to stomach that then go listen to his earlier stuff when he was releasing on Turbo because it's leagues better than this "only album" of his.

see the problem with gesaffelstein is the problem that inherently plagues all french people: the need to be an "artiste". so even his most functional tracks turn dissolve into some sort plinky finger-drumming expressionism by tune's end..

Thanks for the recommendation, but you didn't really answer my questions

1) ebm is good. meme ebm aka hot topic techno is bad.

2) pitchfork coverage and viral marketing

Perhaps not contrarian but do you feel that the electronic scene is filled with more fanboys than pop music or more historic electronic genres? I love aphex twin. I also think there are plenty of comparable experimental musicians across many genres still pushing that same envelope in their respective fields but feel that they cannot benefit as much from their boundary pushing as say aphex twin can be perceived to have pushed a boundary simply by splicing "the amen break in 7/4". Sorry for autism in advance.

Right, so it has nothing to do with his actual music

Pretty much all electronic music except IDM/Braindance sucks cock and holds the entire genre down.

Please explain.

lol dafuq? how do you think someone gets be meme ebm? by making good ebm? are you not well?

youtube.com/watch?v=NUEU8nMy5mA
youtube.com/watch?v=a-cDsl1sFIw
youtube.com/watch?v=n8fsMcMY2do

how bout these non-IDM classics bro?

So meme = bad now?
In that case, could you explain how is it "meme"?

>classics
>it's rustie and jon hopkins

Dubstep is the greatest thing that happened to electronic music in the last 20 years

Jungle and Garage are the only worthwhile genres.

is a dude getting electrocuted while singing considered "electronic music"?

and so is ambient techno

because it's bad? when something is bad you just portamnteau the title with the word 'meme'-- do you have a millenial grandson or granddaughter who could explain this to you?

Both are currently outclassed by footwork and dubstep respectively

Boring. Totally uninspired rhythmically. Anybody can learn to make stuff like this in a few weeks.

That third video is especially lame, my god. He's just messing with digital settings to a boring beat and echoing piano in the back.

That album you posted in the OP is a real piece of music, it's beautiful and multi-layered, it takes several listens to understand what's going on, it's obviously the work of a genius.

The guys in these videos don't have what it takes to make something like Syro, they don't have the talent or the patience.

Go away with that.

2016 wasn't a great year for compared to how good 2014 and 2015 was. It loosk to be the same this year as well, whereas Jungle is continuing to have a small number of quaity releases year after year. Tbh Jungle and Footwork aren't related despite what the fucking retarded tags on Boomkat suggest.

Dubstep hasn't been that good for a long time now, only really Deep Medi, System and maybe Innamind (even though they've released fuck all this year) are worth following. I'd say Keysound as well but they aren't a Dubstep speciic label. Then again proper UKG is dead now.

If we look beyond the present the best Jungle and Garage are miles better than the best Footwork and Dubstep. I like all 4 genres but still.

It's true though. What else has had a greater impact on the genre since the start of the new millennium?

That's just a stupid thing stupid people such as yourself do. It doesn't make it right, or true.
Still haven't explained how it's bad.

omg just listen to it

youre helpless- im done

You're all actually, unironically, seriously using the production method of electronic based instrumentation as a genre aren't you?

Holy fucking kek

where should I start with flying lotus?

cosmogramma

I have, several times, and quite enjoy it
That's why I'm asking why you think it's bad
Stop avoiding the question

>Jungle and Footwork aren't related
Culturally, no. I get they evolved from completely different scenes, but they share a similar ethos: fast tempos, largely sample based, started by black guys on MPCs, etc. It isn't unfair to draw parallels between them.

the ambient mood pieces

muh art

Don't.

Ah yeah, I don't really like the ambient pieces either.

hmmm yeah, listened to a couple of songs, not really my thing

I guess I like him better producing

what's the next dubstep?

where do we go from trap?

feels like we're moving in a circle, oldskool rave dnb already explored silly samples nearly 30 years ago

There's so much to sift through. The rise of lo-fi hip hop, electronic music bleeding into genres including rock and country, autotune... Dubstep is literally just one small part of a effected musical sphere. Drill music rose from Chicago/Detroit (it sucks IMO but it has a sound all its own), then there's Grime from the UK... Dubstep is great but it's only a small part of the conversation. It's not the best thing to rise. Everything is influencing everything. Sam Smith's album is as electronically produced as anything you can hear and it's POP as fuck. Disney. His music could not have existed 20 years ago and it's not dubstep at all. Respectfully look at it wider.

>fast tempos, largely sample based, started by black guys on MPCs
Can't you say that about a lot of electronic subgenres though.

I think Footwork goes well with Breakbeat subgenres and people have made great shit by combing the two. I especially like it when Footwork producers make Jungle, although apart from DJ Earl I can't immediately name others who do.

Oh yeah and Trap!!!

Musique concrete > Onkyo > EAI > Berlin School > Techno > Industrial > EBM > house > Downtempo > Breaks > Hip hop > EDM

yeah, so what?

can't argue with this.

lol fuck off, how about microhouse? you clearly don't know your stuff.

>calls Jon Hopkins, Rustie and Sorrow boring
>says Syro is a work of genius by comparison

sorry fuckface, gonna have to stop you there. Syro is Aphex Twin's worst album. The only thing of his worse than it is the Cheetah EP, which is only slightly more boring.

Syro is bland, bland, bland. I could make a track like CIRCLONTA in an hour, and I wouldn't have fun doing it. Witchcraft by Sorrow on the other hand? That'd take a bit more time desu senpai. And what the fuck is aisastana[102] besides a cheap Nanou2 re-hash? Richard's clearly trying to claw his way back to the excitement of Druqks with this album, but simultaneously he's trying to pass off lazy music (90% of the album) as 'good', and it doesn't work. Druqks is the superior album.

Meanwhile, compared to Syro, Jon Hopkins' music is a rush of endorphins, and is immediately engaging. Jon is a classically trained musician and if you knew anything about him you'd know he is a virtuosic pianist in a live setting as well as an electronic artist.

>they don't have the talent or the patience

if you're going to equate a lifetime of hoarding up on hardware synths with patience, I'd agree with you. Talent, on the other hand, no.

2016 was //OK//. 2015 was the superior year, I agree.

>only Deep Medi, System and maybe Innamind are worth following

I would agree that dubstep is lacking nowadays, but that's only because a large chunk of it has moved on to other subgenres like riddim and post-dubstep and future bass. Try Deep Heads or Duploc if you want an idea of what the newer cats (who are still respecting the old sounds) are up to.

what an absolutely trash opinion

remove your self from my premises

>Bring on your most outlandish contrarian propositions
so you can have an easy time debunking them?
It would be better if YOU bring on YOUR most outlandish contrarian proposition(s), cocksucker.

I care, fag

>no electro
>no future jazz
>no dub
>no tape music

the next dubstep is undisputably future bass but even that has become saturated as future bass is now mixed with trap and pop.

trap is just going to get weirder, dumber and noisier

>no progressive electronic
>no ambient
>no new age
>no Krautrock
>no synthpop

>dj sprinkles

lol babys first discogs visit, sprinkles is memecore

why would I make thinks harder for myself, you absolute lightning bolt of a cock?

>trap is just going to get dumber
Impossible

then lie down and die, shithead

>you absolute lightning bolt of a cock
is this a compliment?

lmao op is C L U E L E S S
dig deeper you dolt

Electronic Music peaked in the 70s

Jam City's Classical Curves and Sophie's Product are the best and most influential and forward-thinking electronic releases of the last 5 years

*50s

This made me curious. Please tell us what your contrarian opinions are. It's an anonymous forum after all.

The fact he is unironically saying electronic music was a giveaway

Fave 50's electronica?

OBJECTIVE OPINION COMING THROUGH:
Most electronic music is devoid of true feeling or emotions. It only works as an aspect of experimentation in other genres like rock and hip hop and on its own it is weak and uninteresting

very possible. We were saying it was impossible 2 years ago and look at where we are now

someone's a bit spiteful!

no, notice how the insult implies that *he* is the cock and not that the cock belongs to him

judging by the spaces you're putting in between the letters in the word 'clueless', I'm guessing vaporwave is your favourite electronic genre? And you're calling me the clueless one... lol.

*captain-picard-facepalm.jpg*

well, I think most techno is shit. You can't really disprove that. Also, Burial is the greatest musician of our time.

oh yeah, electronic music is a genre, through and through.

Feel bad for u desu
Missing out on some good good shit

whoops forgot to put my trip back on

is also OP

Lmao so clueless
Listen to more music before trying to talk about electronic music this is pitiful

>Burial is the greatest musician of our time.

GOOFY

>electronic music is a genre

ahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha ahahahahaahahahahaahahahahahahaahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhahahahahaahahahahahaahahahahahahahahaha

post some good trap

bonus points: no rapping

youtube.com/watch?v=N2frWG7IUps

>burial is my favorite musician
Loool ffs dude

Goofy goofus.

youtu.be/ULmo4eNwEwA

Yeah exactly.

>ranking entire genres instead of individual works
Shiggy diggy

Never heard of half of this shit.

Lmao really

give me an example of music you think is better!! inb4 lo-fi techno, lol.

well, they are incredibly forward-thinking, yes. 'Influential' is debatable. I don't really see their influence carrying over into many places.

that's only because you're set in your ways and were probably introduced to live recorded music years before you heard any electronic. are you an oldfag by any chance?

electronic music = music with a predominant emphasis on synthesised sound.

you're one of those "electronic is a method of making music, not a genre" fags, aren't you?

rl grime - always

haven't really heard any aphex twin tracks in 7/4.

definitely a lot more fanboys in electronic. pop music is music for people who don't like music, I don't really get a fanboyish vibe from pop music listeners.

>No one fucking cares if you can splice the amen break in 7/4
Have you only listened to Venetian Snares or something? Most IDM is in common time and is basically just techno with more experimentation and/or development than you'd typically see in club music.

Burial fanboy lol
I'm not spoonfeeding you

das some good shit