Need to write a 2,000 word essay on my interpretation of this image

>need to write a 2,000 word essay on my interpretation of this image
>must include references to ACADEMIC studies related to NGE/EoE
>due in 48 hours
>too late to change image

Ah fuck, I'm going to fail this course.

What do I do, Sup Forums? Other than kill myself.

Other urls found in this thread:

naturphilosophie.co.uk/starry-starry-night-unexpected-maths-van-goghs-masterpiece/
amazon.com/Anime-Akira-Howls-Moving-Castle/dp/1403970521
bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sjqyn
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

P-please help

I'd help you but I don't believe you.

This is what I have so far. I'm so fucked user. I don't even know if the picture is from EoE, or from the Rebuild series.

lol you picked an edgy weeb image and are now realising it means nothing because its from a fucking anime right?

Yes.

It also doesn't help when I read that one of the main artists said in an interview that the only reason there's all the Christian imagery is because Christianity is mysterious to Japs and they thought it looked cool.

They thought it looked fucking cool. There's no real meaning behind it.

Fuck my life.

Its from the rebuild series. it's Misato showing Shinji Adam (or Lillith if you want spoilers) to build his confidence and show him the first angel. You could honestly bullshit your way through this and give some shit about false religion or even go into more detail about EVA

kek

Fuck. Now I've got to find a similar scene in EoE and screenshot it.

Maybe you can use that? Talk about eastern interpretation of Christian symbology.

Wow. I actually wrote a paper comparing the societies of Star Trek versus Star Wars and I wouldn't have picked this. You fucked up good.

Not familiar at all with this anime or any anime really but cant you just keep expanding on the parallels between the old testament and the movie, like youve already started. Also, why don't you turn it around in your favour by making your focal point what you said in your post about the interview with the guy saying its there just because it looks cool. You can write a whole bunch about imagery that looks like symbolism but really isnt. From there you can draw parallels with western media that does the same with jap culture. Very meta but risky

Fuck you know what, that actually might be a good idea. I could definitely use that, thanks anons.

Use the ending shot of Shinji crying over Asuka's body and talk about everything up to this scene, how humanity has been reduced to it's primitive firm and how, although no one can be sure how much times passed, Shinji had to choose if humanity could survive or not and how when she first appeared he tried strangling her, then after realizing she was real he broke down crying, if it was sadness or joy is up to the viewer as Asuka says the final words, "I feel sick." Referring to earlier in the film when Shinji jacked off over her comprise body. Also give some shit about the mass produced EVA's in the background meaning something about multiple interprofessions of Jesus or some shit

Also, maybe you can incorporate some stuff about Japanese body horror imagery. There's some information out there tying their fascination with it to their feeling of lost heritage after the atomic bombs and Japan's technological boom.

Just bullshit you're little heart out

You're going to have to base your essay on interpretive meaning over intentional meaning, as there is none. I'd go along the lines of lilith being used to harvest LCL, I.E the sacrifice of her allows the salvation of humanity through the use of LCL. She died so we could live sinless? TBH user you're going to need to bullshit this, there's absolutely no meaning here unless you pull it of your arse, which you need to do.

Get thinking out of the box, and remember; Interpretive meaning over Intentional meaning is your salvation.

I could write this in my sleep. The easiest course to take is always to argue that it's a post-modern critique of modernist narrative, simply because it's possible to argue that ANYTHING is a post-modern critique of modernist narrative. You can pick up almost any text by Derrida or Foucault, point to a random paragraph, and construct an argument that it has a bearing on... well, anything. Like this image. Try it.

If it was me, I would create some kind of argument that this image is a literal deconstuction of the archetypal Redeemer christ-figure in which the modernist male narrative is being transformed both symbolically and literally into a Gaia mother-figure archetype represented by the fecund plant-roots, poised at the genitals to show the line of conflict between the male and female. Then I'd make some kind of allusion to Kabbalistic imagery with the roots at the bottom representing earthly matters of material and body, leading up into the godly realm at the head of spirit and transfiguration.

Like I said, I could crank out 10,000 words of this stuff in an afternoon.

if you can't write 2k words in 48 hours you need to quit education asap

last week i wrote 6,500 words in 3 days, and this week i'm writing 17,000 words

all you have to do is chat shit about a picture, the colours etc, is this even work? what do you study? you must be dumb as shit

>OP's assignment is only hard if you're colour blind, or blind

I could definitely try that, thanks user! But fuck, I'm going to have to watch the film again as there's so much I don't even remember about it.

Thanks user!

Thanks for the ideas user!

Thanks for the ideas user!

I'd watch it again on the grounds that it's a great fucking movie. Plus there should be enough just in the movie to bullshit your way through this.

This guy. I totally hate Evangelion for that. The jap interpretation of Christian things. I don't give a fuck about Christian symbology and religion but holy crap the fucking mess they do with this animu hurts.

what you have written so far is shit. too much overreliance on Hobbs. jesus do you do any work in your class? read some books, your essay should be less of your own words, and more of other people's (people who know what they're talking about and dont ask Sup Forums for advice)

2,000 words? Fuck OFF that shit is easy.

>too much overreliance on Hobbs

Nah that's actually a good thing, it's just the definitions of words that I'm referencing with Hobbs. He's from the textbook we use in class and the professor is always on our ass, telling us to reference the text book whenever we can when talking about semiotics, communication, whatever.

Your fucked OP

in academia it's a huge sign of bad writing if you quote the same author twice in succession. in your case you're only used 1 author, and you're just going between your bullshit comments, and this one author. that's not considered a substantial arguement in any academic field, you must be below 18

there is so much to write about neon genesis. Does your essay have to only focus on what is factual about the show? Because moving away from that into what the symbology is there for and you could write all sorts of stuff, and im sure there are papers talking about the symbology.
Like even a long explanation of what it means, contextually, and what this image means from a cinematic and personal level.
Or can you only talk about... very specific things?

if you're only gonna write an essay on 1 author you might as well call it a fucking book review instead of an essay. jesus have some pride in your work and read around the subject. Who does Hobbs talk about? Who does Hobbs reference? you should deconstruct his arguement as well as your own

it really isn't hard to just look up his references on google, find 1 quote from 1 of his sources and quote it, your book review would look 1000 times better for it

>or you can carry on wasting your time not working asking for help on Sup Forums

Doesn't it end with a collective spiritual awakening of humanity?

Also can you talk about his depression before the show, and how he cracked half way through, became depressed again and fucked with the show and said fuck you fans imma mess things up to the max. Or is that "artist history" stuff off topic?

I imagine if you were explaining "Starry Starry Night" you could easily tangeant into Van Goghs attempted suicides/depression/etc????

Fuck for real? Well shit I'm going to have to fix that up then.

And I'm 18, so kind of close.

Basically I just need to analyze and interpret the chosen image.

No user you don't understand. I'm only referencing Hobbs because he wrote the chapter which as the words "referent" and "semiosis" defined in them. That's literally it. Same with Brown, he just wrote the chapter that has the word "connotation" defined in it.

stop wasting your time on this mongolian basket weaving forum and run through a bunch of different concepts instead of asking for help.

just go full fucking biblical analysis and keep drawing parallels. at worst you will get a passing grade and you wont have to worry about this again.

Oh wait I added Brown after I posted the image. But yea you get the point.

I'm guessing you picked that image right? Well, my dude, in the future, I suggest you pick something older and more popular. If you could choose anything, man, you could have picked the Mona Lisa, or Vincent Van Gogh paintings or any number of items that have undergone extensive and well documented academic research for you to cite.

But no, you wanted to use a modern pop culture reference, which is great, but you should have been working on this like 2 weeks ago man. Nobody can give you back the weeks you lost fucking off. This is a lesson for you.

>on Sup Forums

As if you're actually doing your essay. You know you're fucking off and making this thread is a feeble rationalization that you're not just fucking off. do you really think Sup Forums is going to write your essay, man?

starry starry night is actually one of the closest representations of gravitational waves humans have produced, and was conceived before the discovery of gravitational waves

yeah you're wrong in thinking that they invented those words. they just have a definition of the words that fits your description. semiosis is a word as old as written language itself. my point (which you keep seeming to miss) is that your essay has an awful lot of you bullshitting in it, and nothing to back you up except this guy Hobbs. Hobbs writes total bullshit, anybody who understands what you're talking about knows this, and you're just ass licking his work and citing him as gospel. imagine if i wrote a science essay and exclusively quoted the bible, it'd be fucking dumb, right? Everything you are talking about is subjective, which means there is no meaning, so your overreliance on one person's opinion is as meaningless as your overcrediting of your own opinion, these are two problems you can easily rectify if you stop typing, start reading, and start putting in selective quotes of other authors with ideas that either corroborate with Hobbs, or undermine him. Then you have an essay where you don't even have to think, and it's bullet proof because your teacher can't downgrade the work of somebody else

I have however, established that you're under 18, so fuck off and do your work kid. come back to us when you need advice on getting laid

That's not fucking Lilith, you dumbass.

It's Adam.

Christ, it doesn't even have tits. How'd you fuck that up?

Whoops. Fixed.

so talk about the artist, what he did before (studio Ghibli stuff) what was going on in his life.

the point of the show.

what it all meant (this is alll gotta be your bullshit cos its very subjective)

talk about how subjective it all is, and chuck in all sorts of conflicting sources source 1 says "it means this" source 2 says "it means that"

say what you think and why

talk about parralels

pull everything together in some kind of whimsical conclusion end thing

You'll struggle to keep it below 2000 words if you figure out all these things you want to write about before hand

Go into the fucking robot you bitch

wait are we being serious about the gravitational waves? haha

lol all this dumb sociology shit is so pointless, i wonder if OP knows this, or if he'll grow up to realise how meaningless this all is, and how he's wasted his education on things that don't matter, and that there's no jobs in this field, and that nobody cares about it in the real world

No, dude, adam is that embryo thing in Gendo Ikari's hand. That IS Lilith. Didn' you watch the show? At the end of the series when kaoru is revealed as an angel, he goes there and reveals it's lilith and not Adam. (Adam is with Gendo the entire time)

naturphilosophie.co.uk/starry-starry-night-unexpected-maths-van-goghs-masterpiece/

yeah his is the most mathematically accurate, but also if you take a picture of a cigarette in a dark room with no air circulation, you can produce a more accurate representation

Ah fuck, which one is it you guys.

you should know you fucking idiot this is supposed to be your area of expertise

>alpine
built in Dieppe, ie by communist, inbred and alcoholic fucktards to the very last degree
digusting.

>Adam
lol, nigger, are you serious? Did you even watch the damn show? get outta here man. That's weak. lol

Pic related was Adam. It's shown as being implanted in the hand of Shinji's dad. Don't you remember the scene where it's assimilated into Rei moments before Instrumentality?

if you can't answer that simple question i suggest you immediately change your picture to something easier, you can do 2000 words in an hour, and probably even use the same quotations you've already used because it's all bullshit

Sekai, the photo is Lilith

No.

But I do now remember a scene with Gendo talking with that guy that dug up watermelons with Shinji about Adam, who is in a briefcase on a table in front of them.

>didn't watch the fucking show
>picked something he knows nothing about to write a paper on
>waits to the last minute and then asks the internet for help

Nigger, I love neon genesis, but you haven't even seen the fucking show, apparently. what are you thinking?

early model of what misato drives

Ok, you're obviously young and short on time, but there's only one way to write a paper that doesn't suck and hurt people's heads to read.

Write an outline. Organize paragraphs around supporting your main idea, and associate your citations accordingly. Typically, it's one or two sources per paragraph.

If you don't have a clear and simple conclusion concerning the image, find one. Reduce your argument to one sentence. You can do that. That's your thesis statement, and the other paragraphs should support it (and optionally interrelate).

I have watched the show, but it's been a long time since I've watched it.

amazon.com/Anime-Akira-Howls-Moving-Castle/dp/1403970521

This book is pleb tier but so are you. Check it out since it will have at least something to get you started.

Look, man. You're just going to confuse everybody. We aren't talking about transgender dick-disappearing, here, or bullshit plot twists that aren't reflected across all the Evangelions.

Everybody knows Rei is Lilith. Deal with it.

Also, get rid of that "I" shit. It's sounds like a gradeschooler wrote it. Don't use first or second person, sound academic.

"this can be seen in the image I chose"-childish

"this is evident after close analysis of the film's visual symbolism" - academic.

Plus, look up Mise En Scene, is the French word for how directors put this very specific in the frame of a shot, for symbolism. You could add a few lines talking about this interesting is beginning. But actually look it up between your waifu fap sessions

>naturphilosophie.co.uk/starry-starry-night-unexpected-maths-van-goghs-masterpiece/

yeah I can imagine, it shows you the sort of talent an artist can have for accurately depicting subtle realities. Did I just say something or was that just a string of words?
What is art?

That is Correct. Kaji brings Gendo Adam in a briefcase. When Gendo touches it it fuses with his hand.

The thing on the cross in the final area of the GeoFront is Lilith, but that isn't completely revealed until Kaoru goes Full Angel and goes to see her himself.

Chill the fuck out, guys. You're not helping this paper get written.

i tried to say, poorly
what that user said conceptually

yeah i mean it certainly suggests that van Gogh's mental state may have allowed him to sense things that most can not. For example the modern phenomenon of synaesthesia. I'm currently writing an essay on intellectual history, keep checking on this thread because reading OP freaking out over this bs essay is encouraging lol

What sort of retard picks an anime for their essay? What sort of retard picks an anime known for it's psychobabble bullshit?

WIKIPEDIA IT IS THEN

That's false. Rei is literally Shinji's mom's clone.

She becomes a vessel for Lillith and Adam though, and the avatar of instrumentality. That's at the end where Gendo's hand gets assimilated into rei when he touches her. Instead of Gendo becoming one with it like he planned, it takes his whole arm.

Thanks user, I'll look it up.

Thanks for the help.

>Chill the fuck out, guys. You're not helping this paper get written.

get the fuck out of here
>YOU'RE the one not helping this essay get written, YOU'RE the one who has to write it, YOU'RE the one who is supposed to know what he's writing about, YOU'RE the one who's supposed to have this all figured out,

instead,
>YOU'RE the one asking on a Malaysian pillow cover forum for help, and then BITCHING like a BITCH that he's getting insulted for not knowing what the fuck he's talking about

Hey man, I'm just trying to hip you to the truth fag. You're the one that took the bait that Lillith was Adam, hook line and fucking sinker, when anyone that watched the show knows that's Lillith in the LCL lake, and the embryonic Adam is secretly with Gendo almost the whole time.

Yeah it's making me laugh, how seriously he must be taking it and how regularly I put myself in much more difficult positions haha. Id so love to write some philosophical essays, or very interpretive essays. All I ever get to do is write scientific reports at the last minute, where I actually dont know what the specifics are, and I cant be poetic at all except for the general flow of the words.

>symbology
>sssssymbolism

>synaesthesia
this is where... you pinch your elbow and your knee feels a feeling??

Cmon OP, if i wrote a 3500 words essay on this image you can do it on that bullshit as well

The guy who posted the horse isn't me.

>
>>Chill the fuck out, guys. You're not helping this paper get written.
>get the fuck out of here
>>YOU'RE the one not helping this essay get written, YOU'RE the one who has to write it, YOU'RE the one who is supposed to know what he's writing about, YOU'RE the one who's supposed to have this all figured out,
>instead,
>>YOU'RE the one asking on a Malaysian pillow cover forum for help, and then BITCHING like a BITCH that he's getting insulted for not knowing what the fuck he's talking about
>>>
> Anonymous 04/01/17(Sat)01:19:42 No.727526614▶
>
>Hey man, I'm just trying to hip you to the truth fag. You're the one that took the bait that Lillith was Adam, hook line and fucking sinker, when anyone that watched the show knows that's Lillith in the LCL lake, and the embryonic Adam is secretly with Gendo almost the whole time.
>>>
> Anonymous 04/01/17(Sat)01:20:21 No.727526655▶
>
>Yeah it's making me laugh, how seriously he must be taking it and how regularly I put myself in much more difficult positions haha. Id so love to write some philosophical essays, or very interpretive essays. All I ever get to do is write scientific reports at the last minute, where I actually dont know what the specifics are, and I cant be poetic at all except for the general flow of the words.
>>>
> Anonymous 04/01/17(Sat)01:21:14 No.727526720 ▶
>
>>symbology
>>sssssymbolism
>>>
> Anonymous 04/01/17(Sat)01:22:22 No.727526798 ▶
>
>>synaesthesia
>this is where... you pinch your elbow and your knee feels a feeling??
>[Post a Reply][Return] [Catalog] [Top] 72 / 16 / 25 / 1 [Update] [Auto] 2 new posts

i must admit intellectual history is daunting as fuck, i have to write 17,000 words currently, what i'm writing about atm is:

Compare Edmund Burke’s proposals on what should be done with the America colonies and what should be done with India and discuss what these respective attitudes show about his vision of empire.

im quite lucky my university has an incredible intellectual history department, so for example the leading figure on Burke actually teaches me for a different class, and has lent me a book on the subject so it's going pretty well, but OP just doesn't have a clue, makes me wish i had easier essays, but makes me glad i'm not as retarded

no it's when your senses overlap, so you can hear and see the colour blue, you can smell and taste scent. people also have it in a lot of other complex forms involving mathematics etc

I was just testing out how to do the green thing by the way. Fucking around on Sup Forums since 2008 and I just figured it out by accident

sure you were...

>essay on anime

Hahaha, """Western education""""

>This thread

>no it's when your senses overlap
damn I wish I got that. I only get the knee-elbow thing

>i must admit intellectual history is daunting as fuck, i have to write 17,000 words currently, what i'm writing about atm is:
>Compare Edmund Burke’s proposals on what should be done with the America colonies and what should be done with India and discuss what these respective attitudes show about his vision of empire.
>im quite lucky my university has an incredible intellectual history department, so for example the leading figure on Burke actually teaches me for a different class, and has lent me a book on the subject so it's going pretty well, but OP just doesn't have a clue, makes me wish i had easier essays, but makes me glad i'm not as retarded

You sound like you'd like the Melvinn Bragg radio series "In Our Time with Melvinn Bragg"
Last time I thought about Edmund Burke it was on one of their shows

sure I were...

In the lowest level of "Central Dogma" is "Terminal Dogma" Where Lillith lays crucified, pinned with th spear of Longinus. It was never Adam there at all, although they hide that truth with only a few clues, until the end of the series.

bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00sjqyn

mate i LOVE in our time, i literally listen to an episode every night. My teacher was on the Edmund Burke episode, a lot of my university department goes on there because I go to uni of london. I think the knee-elbow thing probably is a form of synaesthesia, it's got such a broad definition that it's probably an umbrella term for a lot, some people associate different colours with moods, for example, or different days of the week with colours. very bizarre

i'm currently writing this Burke essay, making myself laugh by quoting Trump in the essay wherever possible, using phrases like 'tremendous growth'

also a lot of people have synaesthesia, and don't realise it, because they don't understand that each sense should be separate, to them it feels completely normal that you should be able to hear what you see. there's online tests for such so check it out, though i dont know how good they would be

>your essay contains a lot of bullshit
>your essay licks the taint of a bullshit "scholar"
>Overreliance of other's opinions of subjective crap.

Welcome to education in 2017, brosef.

Also, Hideki put all those judeo-christian symbolism and quantum jargon because they "looked and sounded cool".

Seriously fix your lives.
Signed, vintage Eva geek.

seems there are some real intellectuals on Sup Forums afterall. hello my fellow philosophés

I'm late to the party but here's my best shot:

Since you can't talk about references of this single image since they are none, talk about his inspirations. You could right at least two pages about the symbolic of the cross in the christianity and how it inspires mankind for generations, then you can talk about its place in the culture of yesterday and nowadays. And you can still replace it into context and explains in a academic way that "Yeah Japs don't know shit about it but it looks cool to them so they took it."

You pic a religious subject, there's plenty to write about it. Considering the anime, you can also make easily a paragraph on the context leading to this scene (I've never watched the show but I guess something leading to the gates of Hell must be needing an explanation).

In the end you can present the impact of religiosity on modern culture (specifically in anime) and why to you it could be more or less used in the future. (I.E Since nowadays no ones really consider the metaphysics questions of existence (pleonasm but who cares) and considering there are less and less people attending to place of cult but more and more watching modern medias to kill time (you'll need to talk about that in a previous chapter of the place of religion in the world or some shit) I believe introducing such matters by the way of animation can be profitable to every ones to extend the consciouness of one's fatality. (bonus point for placing fatality in the topic.)

Anyway good luck.

Protip: when you're done, if it's not due in paper, change the extension of your file to make it unreadable by text editor and gain 2 days when your instructor will ask you why he can't download your paper.

Hideki made it clear that the symbolism was to be left unexplained so that each person would draw his own perception and personal meaning from it.

While this might imply he may have just thought they "looked and sounded cool" it doesn't really diminish the symbolism inherent to all the terms and symbols.

I mean, 22 layers of armor? Same as the number of paths connecting the ten Sephirah (the ten 'enumerations' or 'emanations' of God) of the Tree of Life as described by the Kabbalah which is shown in the Opening of every episode.

The "angels" are all trying to penetrate these barriers and obstacles in order to reach "Central Dogma", etc. There is no shortage of symbolism and shit to write about if someone is paying attention at all when they watch it.

apart from my ears occasionally ringing I think my senses are normal, but how would I know... ok I'll check

Sup Forums contains all the people who find the true nature of people interesting. Nobody pretends, nobody hides anything. That's pretty appealing to anybody intelligent I think. Though what even is intelligence

haha something else i have expertise on. I was born deaf and what you're describing sounds like tinnitus, is it permanent?

yes i know what you mean, personally i find Sup Forums hilarious, the mannerisms and conduct are just my sense of humour, the juxtaposition of an ethical arguement with racial profanities and senseless slurs

People still pretend and hide all the time here. But that's human nature, too.

like only on Sup Forums can you be a white knight, AND call somebody a nigger

It makes the chore of writing a story much easier. And the loaded symbolism gives more to the fans to wank over than the "fan service" or the doujin porn ever does.

Treating Hideki's fictional universe of psudo-science with any weight beyond "entertainment" is absurd.

I'm seriously just bullshitting everything right now.

I need an academic source that explains the meaning of color in films though, can't seem to find one on google.

maybe if you read more instead of asking for help and arguing on Sup Forums

we all want you to fail now

Dude, if that's all you've got after all this, you're really just fucking off and pretending to work on your essay while playing online.

Dude, your time would be better spent watching the whole fucking show again, tbh, fam. It's weak, m8. Weak.