/classical/

Rapist Italians edition

>General Folder #1. Renaissance up to 20th century/modern classical. Also contains a folder of live recordings/recitals by some outstanding performers.
mega.co.nz/#F!mMYGhBgY!Ee_a6DJvLJRGej-9GBqi0A
>General Folder #2. Mostly Romantic up to 20th century/modern, but also includes recordings of music by Bach, Mozart and others
mega.co.nz/#F!lIh3GRpY!piUs-QdhZACFt2hGtX39Rw
>General Folder #3. Mostly 20th century/modern with other assorted bits and pieces
mega.co.nz/#F!Y8pXlJ7L!RzSeyGemu6QdvYzlfKs67w
>General Folder #4. Renaissance up to early/mid-20th century. Also contains a folder of Scarlatti sonate and another live recording/recital folder.
mega.co.nz/#F!kMpkFSzL!diCUavpSn9B-pr-MfKnKdA
>General Folder #5. Renaissance up to late 19th century
mega.co.nz/#F!ekBFiCLD!spgz8Ij5G0SRH2JjXpnjLg
>General Folder #6. Very eclectic mix
mega.co.nz/#F!O8pj1ZiL!mAfQOneAAMlDlrgkqvzfEg
>Renaissance Folder #1. Mass settings
mega.co.nz/#F!ygImCRjS!1C9L77tCcZGQRF6UVXa-dA
>Renaissance Folder #2. Motets and madrigals (plus Leiden choirbooks)
mega.co.nz/#F!il5yBShJ!WPT0v8GwCAFdOaTYOLDA1g
>Debussy. There is an accompanying chart, available on request.
mega.co.nz/#F!DdJWUBBK!BeGdGaiAqdLy9SBZjCHjCw
>Opera Folder. Contains recorded video productions of about 10 well-known operas, with a bias towards late Romantic
mega.co.nz/#F!4EVlnJrB!PRjPFC0vB2UT1vrBHAlHlw
>Some folder an user requested to be added
mega.nz/#F!pWR0zABY!xCwF1rEfXiyEy5HuhTDP0Q

>Random assortment of books on music theory and composition, music history etc.
mega.nz/#F!HsAVXT5C!AoFKwCXr4PJnrNg5KzDJjw

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Dg89iVXuQk4
youtube.com/watch?v=aDBPfhG-gVk
youtube.com/watch?v=0tHqbdO04_c
youtube.com/watch?v=lSKkglNwQEU
youtube.com/watch?v=N9SI9d7ihyM
youtube.com/watch?v=Gv94m_S3QDo
youtube.com/watch?v=xJNN5bc66Gc
youtube.com/watch?v=Zfu1EOaDQ0M
youtube.com/watch?v=ip9x-HlBsZY
youtube.com/watch?v=jycdQEkKK60
youtube.com/watch?v=zzKs4JV9-qo
youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8JppI
youtube.com/watch?v=J2NzQUPmwjc
youtube.com/watch?v=6dVPu71D8VI
cycleback.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/identifying-and-dating-paper/
youtube.com/watch?v=pU_tiVS06ao
youtu.be/aNck4vhkecM?t=6s
rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&genres=Classical Music&include_child_genres=t&include=both&limit=none&countries=
youtube.com/watch?v=3sj-NKqR0tw
youtube.com/watch?v=MkKd1fjgqKI
youtube.com/watch?v=NkSK9tEUTxU
classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/music/5th-symphony-crescendo-listen/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=Dg89iVXuQk4

bump

Toscanini > DeSabata

Petzold*

sometimes, sometimes not

youtube.com/watch?v=aDBPfhG-gVk
youtube.com/watch?v=0tHqbdO04_c
youtube.com/watch?v=lSKkglNwQEU

Nth for I haven't even started on my Vivaldi chart yet.

Which Bach cantatas are the best

>dude counterpoint lmao
>dude harmony lmao

Was he a hack?

Rare Schnabel
youtube.com/watch?v=N9SI9d7ihyM

DUDE
SLOW AND NON HARMONIOUS MUSIC

WEIRD AS FUCK AND MODERN
SO GENIUS

Yeah, I hate renaissance music too.

>renaissance
>non harmonious
t. retard

Why are you calling people names?

BWV4 is my fav out of the ones I've heard

>Was he a hack?
the exact opposite.

more like
>dude tasteful melodies lmao
>dude 10/10 harmony lmao
>dude immaculate chord function lmao
>dude immaculate voice leading lmao
>dude fugues that still haven't been topped 200+ years later lmao
>dude perfect balance of technical and emotional lmao
>dude I just work as a servant for god and the church lmao, nothing to see here, move along
>dude I defeated a bassoonist with a rapier lmao

No, pleb.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gv94m_S3QDo

You god me fugg >>>>>:((((((

I know they're cheesy as shit, but I really enjoy these kinds of music.
youtube.com/watch?v=xJNN5bc66Gc
youtube.com/watch?v=Zfu1EOaDQ0M
Anyone have more of this style?

This one from Bernstein's Candide is kind of similar to the witness one.

youtube.com/watch?v=ip9x-HlBsZY

Apart from the obvious 140, 80, 51 etc. I'd strongly recommend you to check out the chorale cantatas, especially the opening four (20, 2, 7, 135), if only for the difference in the character of the opening choruses. Apart from those four the truly outstanding chorale cantatas are probably 38, 78, 101, 115, 125, 127, and 139. And those are just the ones composed in the 1724-5 year. The later per omnes versus ones are all masterpieces, and you can go throough them at your leisure. If you're into choruses the 6 cantatas composed for Trinity IX onwards in 1723 would be a good place to start, namely cantatas 105, 46, 179, 77, 25 and 69a. All of them open with choral fugues. Also the obligatory solo cantatas 54, 56, 82, 199, and 178+180 are pretty great as well.
It's generally a good idea to have the text/translation available while you listen because Bach often uses the music to make a specific point about the text which you might miss if you're not paying attention.

Is Macron our guy?

of course a flaming homosexual would choose a degenerate composer

>namedrops the operas but doesn't mention the themes in them he likes or how that would relate to his candidacy
>chooses a non-French composer
Super pleb.

you forgot
>mentions bach at the end
mega pleb

In the narrow sense, yes, actually. The Renaissance was actually very similar to the 20th century, with many people experimenting with music.

No, he is /cringe/. He's obviously parroting 3rd hand opinions and has no idea what he's talking about. Fucking manufactured puppet is what he is.

When is /classical/ not autistic?

Are Gesualdo's late madrigals some of the best music in the classical music canon?

Yeah

Just woke up, got my tea, sitting in the rising sun in my robe. What should I listen to?

Pastoral symphony.

youtube.com/watch?v=jycdQEkKK60

this is good

Das Rheingold Prelude.

>non-French
Rossini's last operas basically kick-started the French romantic operatic tradition. He was Italian, but he had a huge influence on French music.

Siegfried is the most summer-y of the Ring cycle

Just got Leibowitz Beethoven cycle, how wise was I?

It's probably the best overall cycle available. And it's really well recorded too. It's a good choice.

>Liszt only composed half of his transcendental etudes

Hindemith

youtube.com/watch?v=zzKs4JV9-qo

>tfw Fritz Wunderlich will never record Winterreise

Do you support OVPP theory about Bach music? I'm not sure which versions should I listen to...

Say it with me:

SCHOENBERG
IS
UNDERRATED

>Do you support OVPP theory about Bach music?
No.

ded thred is ded

I'm currently reading a book by Butt (who has recorded a lot of OVPP Bach) which I'm hoping will shed some light on the situation. It's pretty heavy-going though and thus far it's mostly concerned with saying "Taruskin was right and I only slightly disagree with him"

I'm a noob. which composer do I start with guys?

You start right here.
youtube.com/watch?v=t3217H8JppI

youtube.com/watch?v=J2NzQUPmwjc

>not glenn gould
laugh my fucking ass of, pleb.

Is it stupid to think that the Second Viennese School and their followers were going for a "brooding" atmosphere with their music?

I think it's difficult to say, because so much of their music has been used in media to represent either scary or brooding moods, to the point where I no longer know whether or not I associate it with those things because of media, or because of the music itself.

But, I mean, Schoenberg and friends enjoyed a cheery tune just as much as the rest of us. Hell, his 3rd and 4th string quartets are actually kinda whist-able.

It was a good time to be brooding, though. Cynicism was definitely on the rise in those days, pretty sure everyone in the SVS saw battle and served in the war.

>tfw Fritz Wunderlich will never record Winterreise

>tfw Harnoncourt will never record Glagolitic Mass

How did the SVS feel about their representation in the media? Did they ever even talk about it?

>that face

I get his music now.

Terrible advice
The 9th symphony is a destination, not a starting point.

What's the most dark and depressing symphony you can think of /classical/?

Any one of Pettersson.

It's both.

BWV 35 also an obligatory solo cantata.

Nah.
That guy does not listen to classical music, probably he does not even have the attention span required to actually listen to the 9th Symphony for its entire duration.

It makes more sense to link him Beethoven's sonatas and short Mozart's symphonies.

>he does not even have the attention span required to actually listen to the 9th Symphony for its entire duration.
That's a depressing thought.

He can still get improve it.
I started listening to classical music 3 years, coming from albums that were popular on Sup Forums, and now I can sit down and listen to 3 hours of music in which I'll transcribe mentally and feel every single note I'll hear, without ever getting tired. At the beginning I used to struggle to finish individual sonata movements (which is fair, since I was so used to 2 to 3 minutes, more repetitive music).

Give him time, if he loves it he will eventually master the discipline needed to be a good listener.

>Mozart symphonies instead of the superior piano concerti

Yes.
youtube.com/watch?v=6dVPu71D8VI

I strongly disagree with this interpretation.

Why

When was the last time a 9/10+ was composed?

I've found some old-ass sheet music and I have no idea how to determine its age or value. Does anyone know how to do this? It's Edition Peters Nr. 1731a, Mendelssohn Violinkozert in e moll.

what is the best version of Beethoven's 9th symphony on Spotify? (there's loads)

Nvm I'm stupid, I didn't notice the year of copyright

Karajan or Furtwangler

cycleback.wordpress.com/2013/02/10/identifying-and-dating-paper/

Ferenc Fricsay
>Karajan
lmao

No such thing exists. Making the godawful 4th movement fit the rest of the symphony is a godly task indeed.

I must very much pic related.

>That absolute mess of a finale
What was Beethoven thinking?

He was thinking about many things, he just wasn't hearing them.

Kek

the audio quality on furtwangler, jesus crhist

Bach

youtube.com/watch?v=pU_tiVS06ao

what is wrong with Karajan? Also wtf is experimental audio in disc 6

Best Petzold: youtu.be/aNck4vhkecM?t=6s

rateyourmusic's top 10 classical pieces of all time

rateyourmusic.com/customchart?page=1&chart_type=top&type=album&year=alltime&genre_include=1&genres=Classical Music&include_child_genres=t&include=both&limit=none&countries=

I'm surprised some obscure avant garde bullshit isn't #1

classic FM

listen to this shiet and tell me what you think

youtube.com/watch?v=3sj-NKqR0tw

rec me a documentary about classical music composers

>anons keep parroting Verdi's opinion, without keeping in mind that Verdi was one of the best choral and vocal composers ever existed, and that his criticism can be shared only by composition virtuosos like him

You're a joke

youtube.com/watch?v=MkKd1fjgqKI

im patrichian for enjoying te works of vivaldi......... right

>Steve Reich #1
Absolute cancer.

Don't like the singers and the choir, soloists and orchestra are not always in sync. This one's better: youtube.com/watch?v=NkSK9tEUTxU

classicfm.com/composers/beethoven/music/5th-symphony-crescendo-listen/
>this whole page
Incredible

Piss off. If the choral parts were the only ones lacking there it'd be grand. The subjects from previous movements are very awkwardly reintroduced for example, medley-pastiche-style.

>classicfm
>rym

FUCK RIGHT OFF YOU FAGGOTS!